33 20.63%

52 32.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review : Tennis the Menace

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review : Tennis the Menace

"I guess you could say, I'm Iraqi" 3/5

Med folket för fosterlandet Art_Vandelay's Avatar

Horrible episode. It's dull and tedious and the ending is stupid. It would been much better if they had shown the family play instead of those f-ing guest stars.
    Last edited by Art_Vandelay; 12-07-2005 at 03:06 PM.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I guess I've got a lot of explaining to do. Unlike others here, I found the episode interesting. I'm not really a tennis fan, but I follow it to an extent for all of two weeks during Wimbledon. It kept me sufficiently entertained, there were plenty of laughs to be had, though that is, of course, debatable. I liked Hibbert performing surgery outside, I guess you could say I'm Iraqi, Homer literally surfing the net, overreacting/underreacting, good-bye/bad-bye, and so on. It was not by any means the funniest episode ever, but I laughed enough to enjoy it. I didn't mind the guest stars at all. I honestly don't know why so many people have a problem with them. They didn't outstay their welcomes. Though they were short appearances, they were there long enough to contribute something, unlike several one-line wonders like, say, Steve Buscemi, Dr Joyce Brothers, Bruce Vilanche (who?), and a few others who I fail to remember. Let's not forget that though the episode would still have worked without them, at least the tennis stars were relevant to the story. Tennis players in an episode about tennis. Funny that. Compare this to the majority of guest stars in the Scully era who had very little to do with what was going on in the episode. Giving speeches, just randomly turning up in Springfield, etcetera. And the ending was alright as well. Homer stealing Pete Sampras' money is far far far more plausible and/or made more sense than a radioactive ape, Lisa with a camel head, being a prisoner on an island from The Prisoner, surf's up, and so many other episodes with endings that I would prefer to forget. While this didn't affect my appreciation of the episode, I did quite like the different animation and colouring style in Tennis the Menace.
    That's not to say that Tennis The Menace doesn't have problems. This is Season Twelve, of course it's going to have a few problems. A lot of the jokes are rather juvenile, there's quite an abundance of visual gags here - the human chessboard, the gophers trying to push up, the butterfly and Santa's Little Helper springing off the net, the little things from Marge's tennis shoes being strong enough to break a car window, and so on. These flaws only marginally taint the epiosde. Overall, it's personally one of my favourites from Season Twelve. It's a flawed, but tolerable episode.

A very boring plot full of uninspired jokes. D
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de espańol (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

barts friend

3/5

back in black

Season 12 started out with a bunch of pretty good episodes, and this was the official end of that run. I did like the opening at the old folks' home, but the quality goes down almost right from the start. The tennis part came out of nowhere (and the meta-joke wasn't that great either), and the plot development in that part was never that great and hit rock bottom by act 3. The guest appearances only made it worse. However, it was pretty funny, and on the better half of Season 12's episodes overall. 3/5
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Stonecutter

One of the worst ever, an unbearable episode - D-

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

It has a couple of funny moments; I remember the cops being funny. Also, the animation is stellar for some strange reason. Not really the direction, which is fine, but just the quality of the animation itself. It looks very vibrant and almost digital. Other than that, there's nothing that horribly offensive or patronizing here; I don't remember screaming at my television. So the little redeeming values this episode has saves it from being an F.

D
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Lisa: "Dad, I think you're overreacting."
    Homer: "Well I think you're UNDERreacting."
    Lisa: "This conversation is over."
    Homer: "This conversation is UNDER."
    Lisa: "Good-bye!"
    Homer: "BAD-bye!"

4/5

Pin Pal

It was an OK episode, but the guest stars (combined with Homer's stupidity/selfishness) ruined it. Still, it wasn't the worst episode around, but probably one of the worst endings, along with the last two George Cauldron mentioned (I still don't see the problem with the first two though. It's not as if they appear totally out of thin air)
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

dont know exactly why I didnt like that ep at all. I guess its the celeb-overkill at the end.
    2/5

This is a terrible, terrible episode. Not a single act had good jokes (the only execption might be 'I guess I'm Iraqi'), and the guest star pile-up at the end was probably one of the most uninspired ones next to The Regina Monologues. Also, Pete Sampras' readings were awful. Sportsmen aren't supposed to be great actors, but especially his lines sounded fake. Bah 1/5

1.5/5
    In my bottom 25. Really bad episode

I liked it. I love the works of Ian Maxtone Graham and i thought the end was genius. 4/5

Not a r-tard

I don't think that a clerk mentioning the word "tennis court" is reason enough for the Simpsons to buy one themselves. Where did they get the money? They can't even afford their own house! A terrible ending and an overall void of humor generates an D- for this one.
    Last edited by Philip Cheesesteak; 11-30-2006 at 08:04 AM.
    Season Grades...
    1 - B, 2 - A+, 3 - A, 4 - A+, 5 - A-, 6 - A+, 7 - A+, 8 - A, 9 - C+, 10 - D+, 11 - F, 12 - C-, 13 - B-, 14 - B, 15 - B+, 16 - B, 17 - C+, 18 - C-

Season 19
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - D+/D
    The Homer of Seville - C-
    Midnight Towboy - N/A
    I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - B-

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Hmmm

The poor narrative devices used in the episode certainly are a problem (eg: how they get the tennis court, the very formulaic overall plot), but they're used in such a way that it becomes funny. For example, yes, whilst the origin of the tennis court could be considered poor storytelling, it's obviously intended to be absurd for the purposes of humour. Could be some more of that classic Scully meta-referencing.

The humour is clearly there in the episode, and whilst it's not special it's none the less servicable. The Iraqi line, the absurdity of the tennis court, a few of Homer's antics around the net, the families banter when pitched against one another and of course, stock standard Homer stupidity. Once again, nothing special, but nothing awful either.

Special mention should also go to the episode for at least attempting to undertake a character study of sorts in the episode. It's not very often that we get to see Homer and Marge being judged by Springfield, and it does seem genuinely interesting. There's a decent character..."study" of Marge when she's forced to weigh up both her social ambitions, and her marriage.

Onto the flaws though. Clearly, all the positives mentioned above are average, and nothing above average. So from that, there's the problem of the ending being a bit of a promotion for the celebrities involved (one of my biggest problem with this particular era), the fact that it's not really an interesting episode (even if its social study is mildly intriguing) and none of the characters are very likable in the episode, nor is my dislike of them there for a decent reason. Of course, I have no problem with characters looking like douchebags, but for a reason. There really wasn't a reason, or a payoff in this episode.

Not great, not good, but not abysmal like many believe. 4/10
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

It's ridiculous. I liked several parts,but it's not that good as a whole. 3/5
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I liked it util the end with all the tennis all stars, I liked Homer sucking at tennis and being ultra bitter that Marge would rather be Bart's parter, 3/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

a fervent propulsion Tinselled Jim's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not great. 2/5 D
    couldn't trust her with cheese, let alone with your keys

Quote Originally Posted by Frinkahedron
    I don't think that a clerk mentioning the word "tennis court" is reason enough for the Simpsons to buy one themselves. Where did they get the money? They can't even afford their own house! A terrible ending and an overall void of humor generates an D- for this one.
    I agree with you and Nebuchanezzar in the fact that the plot was very formulaic and jerky but I hate it when people complain about the simpsons money. Its already been established that the writers dont care about being accurate in the simpsons money exchange. As for the ending, well i guess that is debateable, I liked it because it was funny and they didnt make it halfassed. I totally disagree with you when you talk about the humor of the episode though. Ian Maxtone Graham scripts usually dont have a problem with humor and this one was no exeption.

I find that guest sports stars do nothing for me.

But all that aside, I still enjoy this ep for its steady stream of funny jokes and general well being it gives me from watching it. One of my favorite lines comes from Sideshow Mel in the grocery market 4/5

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

It cracks me up when people say it's a poor episode then give it 3/5.

It's a poor episode, but not the worst - 2/5
    Notoriety for whatever reason, never seems to benefit the noted, only the 'notees'

I choose you Pikachu sideshow mish's Avatar

This episode is pretty good 4/5 not the best but it is good
    but then again i pretty much like all the simpsons episodes so

I actually like this episode. That is, if you leave out the last minute when they have four celebrities show up for no reason. The only other thing I had wrong with it was how bad Marcia Mitzmen-Gaven does Helen Lovejoy...way off. Apart from that, I actually liked it.

4/5
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Four out of five my ass. I'd like to hear some justification for that outrageous score.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I'd say a pretty average episode. As usual for season 12's lesser episodes, its humor was overshadowed by an odd turn of events. The 3 things I didn't like in the episode were: 1) unrelated beginning with the casket, 2) Lisa's characterization (when did she become good at sports), 3) part of the ending. I didn't mind the guest stars as much as others did, because I felt that the family's ability to play tennis paled in comparison to these superstars and sort of helped them bond at the end. So I guess the first two really bug me more, especially that it goes from casket to tennis.

It has some memorable lines, most notably the Iraqi line, the beatability of the Simpsons, and even the line about traveling in the NBA. Also, the conflict is pretty well drawn up (except for Lisa's part) and certainly beats half of the marriage conflict crap we see nowadays.

So probably low 3/5 (C range)
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

The humour was ok but the conflict is one of the worst I've ever seen on the show. It was ridiculously mean-spirited and unrealistic, and rendered the third act nigh-on unwatchable.

One of the five worst Simpsons episodes ever, IMO:

1. THOH XVI
    2. Tennis The Menace
    3. Simpson Safari (it's only this high because of the first act)
    4. Simpsons Spinoff Showcase
    5. Take My Wife, Sleaze

This episode is absolutely atrocious. Seriously, when I first saw it (and I didn't laugh once), I thought it sucked because I was in a bad mood or something, but I've come to find that, after later viewings, it's just a worthless episode. The whole thing feels mean-spirited, cruel, and completely OOC. And besides, could an episode about tennis really be that funny to begin with? I think not.

1/500

Blog Entries

one of the bottom 3 of my worst to best of season 12 2/5

such an awful episode and yet another random and pointless appearence of several different celebrities and a pretty crappy ening aswell. this episode did have his moments but all in all failed as a way to entertain people in cartoon form. basically, i actually prefer dennis the menace to tennis the menace

Thread Information