View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

73 19.68%
  • 4/5

116 31.27%
  • 3/5

107 28.84%
  • 2/5

50 13.48%
  • 1/5

25 6.74%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review The Last Of The Red Hat Mamas (GABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review The Last Of The Red Hat Mamas (GABF22)

Homer has an altercation with the Easter Bunny at the Mayor's egg hunt, causing Marge to be shunned. A lonely Marge decides to join a women's group called the Cheery Red Tomatoes and agrees to help with an upcoming charity drive robbing Mr. Burns of his Faberge egg collection. Meanwhile, Lisa's plans to spend a summer in Italy hit a bump when she learns the first requirement is being fluent in Italian, so she takes on a teacher from a classified ad who turns out to be Milhouse. Lily Tomlin guest-stars.

Preview/Speculation thread

Thread will open once the episode airs.

Hired Goon

boring, dull, uninteresting, unfunny. i think i laughed twice at the most, and there was no way i could get into the story.

1/5

Junior Camper

eexxxceelllennt.....super plot, and Thrillho was actually smart....Nice addition of Moe, too...

Red = Danger

I really dislike this episode, the worst of the season...
    2/5

not very funny, but engaging and interesting enough despite some rehashed plot elements. 3/5

Galalimit

Bart had one line in this entire episode, that's pretty sad.

I actually enjoyed alot of it and it was funny for the most part. There were just little parts throughout that I found really boring but overall, it was fine. C-
    Last edited by Galalimit; 11-27-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Junior Camper

I'm usually never very critical of episodes and I usually love them all, but this one I didn't find anything besides the ending to laugh at.

I liked some of the jokes and the subplot. Homer was pretty good in the episode, but the main plot and the first act really hurt the episode. C+

excellent episode the lisa milhose subplot was great 4/5

Stonecutter

The episode was visually stunning and the plot and subplot were both great. A few parts even felt like the classic era (namely Mr. Burns' characterization).

i enjoyed the subplot, and the resolution of the homer and marge situation, but it wasn't really all that great.

2.5/5
    zip zop zoobity bop

Junior Camper

Best so far of the season. Funny, good, original plot, and fantastic voice acting. The animation was also very good.

10/10

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Milhouse...you da pimp!

Well, it was wacky as I come to expect, but the whole Lisa/Milhouse subplot was a retconning done well, IMO. Otherwise the rest of the episode was dull and boring.

3/5

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Junior Camper

Out of all the episode I have seen this season, this was the best so far in my opinion.
    I especially liked the Milhouse-Lisa jokes.

5/5

It was an okay episode. Storyline was decent, and the third act's plan to get Mr. Burns' money was good. Had some hilarious one-liners in there, but I don't think the humor as a whole was up to par tonight. I actually do think Semaj was right in thinking that this will be a lead-up to The Italian Bob. It'll work out well if so.

4/5
    [SIZE=1]

Did anyone else have trouble following what was suppose to be the A story and which was the B story?

Overall, I enjoyed this episode throughout, with no act being weaker than the other. I particularly enjoyed Milhouse and Lisa's subplot, although its resolution was not very good. Maybe it will be tied up in a clearer way in "The Italian Bob", I dunno. The Marge story was weakly structured, and I was never really sure what the Cheery Red Tomatoes were all about. It just seemed like a really random group and Marge's sense of involvement and commitment to them was a little baseless.

Only joke that really fell totally flat for me was Terri and Sherri's twin language (how could anyone find this funny?). Everything else was funny enough to keep me watching, despite not being interested in Marge's story.

PS: I thought Marge's "sympathetic" read of the "I just wanted friends who dressed the same" or whatever line towards the end was a terrible read. I can't believe they used that one.
    Signature.

Raggin' On Your Cord

Awful episode, I didn't laugh once. 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    A few parts even felt like the classic era (namely Mr. Burns' characterization).
    I thought that this was a problem of the episode actually. He was evil throughout a lot of the episode, but he was also just old, which generally isn't that funny. The scene in the car with Smithers in particular was lacking something. He was better than in an episode like Fraudcast News, but this wasn't classic Burns characterization at all.

Decent episode. I liked the Milhouse sub-plot more than the main plot. 3/5

I'll say 4/5. Some parts were funny, but what about Lisa going to Italy (unless she said that in Italian)? I also feel they should've done more with Burns. I laughed out loud several times (Homer saying all women he talks to run into cans), but not really at anything in the main plot. Those of you who are going to complain about Cat Lady, she's a character now. Shut up and accept it. She's not that bad (I liked the cut to Homer saying she can't throw a cat over the house).

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

i posted my review in the preview section like an oaf. But anyway, i gave it a 5. Very refreshing episode.

This episode came extremely close to perfection. But this now stands as the best episode of the season.

I think the main plot about Marge not having friends has already been done before (Class Struggle from Springfield?), but the way they conveyed Marge's needs and desires here was excellent.

I still don't know for sure if the sub-plot will have any visible connection to the upcoming "Italian Bob", but it still provided a nice backstory from Milhouse, and loads of funny gags, particularly the ones where Mil is chased across town for being an "idiota".

And as always, Mr. Burns proves to be a powerful antagonist for OFF. And some of the other side characters, Krusty, Nelson, Sherri & Terri, Chief Wiggum, Eddie, and Lou, were all greatly characterized.

The thing that stood out most about this episode was how the writer was able to avoid the "corny joke" trap, which has stained many of what would've otherwise been flawless gems. Most of everything here was well-timed and very funny.

"The Last of the Red Hat Mamas" is now the new best episode of the season. Although Season 17 got off to an unreasonably weak start, it's been picking up very quickly and extremely well.

4.75/5

Junior Camper

I thought it was pretty good. There were some nice gags (I liked how Quimby's wife talked like Baba Wawa), and the plot held together pretty well when it could have easily went off the rails with the whole 'scheme' angle. Having Milhouse know Italian was a good touch (Uncle Bastardo indeed).

Good guest appearance by Lily Tomlin too. I didn't know it was her until the end credits.

And remember: Roadrunners are real!

3.5/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I think a more recent problem of the show is the general aimless, meandering feel that permeates a large number of the episodes, and Mamas couldn't escape that fate. While the general pacing was neither too slow or rushed, the actual story came across as jumpy and generally uninteresting. Homer's fight with the bunny, Marge's joining the group, the group's sudden decision to rob Burns--it all felt too disjointed, didn't transition well. The underlying theme of the episode--Marge wanting more friends to hang around and talk with--was at least kept in focus, but far too many plot points were jumpy and/or didn't make any sense (for instance, major nitpicking here, but things like Homer suddenly finding the ladies in the exact room of Burns' safe; couldn't they just enter through that window instead of needing Marge to sneak in through the grate?). It wasn't a bad premise or plotline, but the execution was flawed in many ways. I found Lisa's subplot more engaging, save for the ending of it.

Outside of some major gag misses in the first and (to a lesser extent) third acts, the characterization was fairly decent. Homer was handled in a pretty endearing way, and Marge's character was done fairly well too. Lisa's sudden affection for Milhouse was a bit different than her usual feelings, but it was built up in a cute and fairly believable way, so I'll let it slide. I didn't like the end of that subplot, though--Milhouse has never been good with the ladies, so it seemed like sort of a cop-out. And did Lisa get to take her trip? Burns was in pretty good form, with only a couple more fragile, goofy-style lines ("Your knees are in the shop"), which weren't bad anyway.

As far as gags go, the first act had some MAJOR misses. I thought none of them really worked until Homer's "Silly rabbit, kicks are for ribs!", and too many of them suffered from repetition (Ralph and his basket-hole, Mrs. Quimby pushing the button [though the latter was a decent enough gag]). Oddly, I laughed hard at the Crazy Cat Lady hurling a cat over the house--it was hardly brilliant, but the timing and animation struck me as very funny. Fortunately, I thought the second act picked up the pace and quality of the gags. I liked Moe's jump, Milhouse and Lisa meeting, Luigi speaking only in "broken English", and to a lesser extent, Milhouse's flashback (kinda throws continuity out the window, though). The romp through Little Italy was entertaining throughout, in fact. I also enjoyed the secret of mock apple pie, Burns bringing the hounds to a charity donation (definitely something he'd do), Marge going through the grate unbelievably fast, and the nice ending joke involving the hot air balloon and Moe.

Anyway, after the weak first act, the show picked up, but never really elevated to "good" status...the weak handling of the story and scattershot gags bring it down, but it definitely has its moments. Odd, too, considering I thought Cohen's recent two episodes (Home Away From Homer and Fat Man and Little Boy) were very, very funny, and the former was my favorite of S16.

Anyway, it was alright. 3/5 C+

P.S. Anyone else notice Marge's manilla folder said "Burns Manson"? Animation goof!
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Is it just me or was Marge saying the word "choking" to the women instead of "joking"?

This week's episode was, interesting to say the least. Right away at the beginning of the first act we saw Jerkass Homer at his prime when he stole eggs from the little kids, and insulted them. Homer was worse when he and the Easter Bunny got into a fistfight and broke into the window. The Stripper gag was probably the strongest point in a weak opening act with the Cat Lady appearing for the umpteenth time this season.

The Second act was a lot better. When Millhouse was teaching Lisa Italian was funny but still realistic, something that isn't that common in the later seasons of the Simpsons. Homer's reaction to Marge joining the Cherry Red Tomatoes was good but not overdone. The best gag was when Millhouse's grandmother called him Millhouse Mussolini Van Houten which was a good intelligent joke, that the section of Simpsons that watch the Simpsons to see Homer drive nails up into his eyes wouldn't understand.

The final act was a good act but not the same calibre of the second act. Lisa starting to develop a crush on Millhouse was interesting to say the least, because I didn't expect that to happen. Marge entering Burn's mansion was bland and well a bit forgettable because there was no jokes, gags or spoofs to speak of. The ending was not at all suspenseful with the Cherry Red Tomatoes getting caught and Marge sneaking out an egg. Finally I wish that we would of known if Lisa went to Italy or she didn't get to go to Italy. My final grade for this episode is a good but not great B.

Galalimit

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe
    Is it just me or was Marge saying the word "choking" to the women instead of "joking"?
    I heard that too actually.

I'm surprised no one has commented yet on the fact that Bart only had one line in the entire episode.

Meh. The jokes were sparse, the plot hardly engaging, and rushed. Bart had like one line, and the Milhouse/Lisa subplot felt rediculous and unnecessary. It seemed like Homer served absolutely no purpose in this episode but to make annoying comments. His so-called "rescue" at the end felt like the writers just needed to squeeze him in, and it just seemed like an uninspiring way to end the episode. I only litterally "laughed" like twice. There was a pretty hilarious moment with Lou. Still, in the end, I was entertained. At least it wasn't as bad as that Safety Salamander crap episode last week.

6/10 (new ep standards), 3.5/10 (simpsons standards)

or

2/5 (no conversion)

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun

P.S. Anyone else notice Marge's manilla folder said "Burns Manson"? Animation goof!
    I thought I saw that but wasn't sure. I guess I was right. Strange, no?

A very solid episode, with a few failed jokes. The family's characterizations were spot-on. 4/5
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Thread Information