121 33.15%
  • 3/5

90 24.66%
  • 2/5

60 16.44%
  • 1/5

31 8.49%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review See Homer Run (GABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review See Homer Run (GABF21)

Homer's inability to embrace Lisa's Father's Day book the same way he does Bart's Father's Day Toolman causes Lisa to develop DDD (Disappointed Daughter Disorder). Meanwhile, Bart steals the "Bart Boulevard" street sign and causes a huge pile-up. While Mayor Quimby creates The Safety Salamander spokesperson in response to the accident, the town still forces the ineffective Mayor into a recall election. Homer, longing to win back his daughter's love, takes the spokesperson position, and after a heroic run as the Safety Salamander, he runs for Mayor along with every other unqualified Springfieldian.

Preview/Speculation thread
    More information (possible spoilers)

Thread will open as soon as the episode finishes.

Hired Goon

3/5. it was okay, had some good laughs, but overall it just seemed to be underwhelming. definitely doesn't compare to the other "[character] runs for office" episodes of years past that have been so great.

Stonecutter

It started out great, but it kind of fizzled down towards the end. I'd give it a 4/5.

Galalimit

Second best episode of the season so far. It felt so refreshing to finally have an episode where Homer and Marge didn't argue once. Some parts were really funny and overall, the whole episode was entertaining. C
    Last edited by Galalimit; 11-27-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Decent, but nothing special. I would have preferred to have seen Homer running for mayor take more than one act. I did not like Brandine's appearance or The Crazy Cat Lady's. It started out good, but by the middle of the second act it seemed to lose steam. There was no buildup towards people wanting Mayor Quimby out. They could have at least thrown in a few scenes of him doing stupid things before hand. You'd think that Mr. Burns would run for mayor, but alas he didn't...

Rating: 3/5

3.5/5 - I loved the Lisa-Homer stuff, and the electoral parts were enjoyable as well. It wasn't all that spectacular or memorable. But it did have nice animation. I hope Jim Reardon stays on as storyboard consultant; and it was yet another ep this season with Susie Dietter as retake director.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 11-20-2005 at 05:44 PM.

People seemed to really give last weeks performance a very warm reception, where as I felt tonights was far superior. I'm glad to see that they revised it from what was originally posted earlier, just goes to give us some insight on how extensive the rewrites can get.

Defintley not bad for a first time out, I'd say it was the second best this season behind The Girl...

Best joke, Jimbo's campaign ad.

Something Interesting

It's interesting how many characters from the past showed up out of nowhere (the psychiatrist, allison, mayor quimby's nephew and a bunch of others) I thought it was pretty good. I didn't laugh that much but it was interesting to see how homers parenting led to him running for mayor.

Harry Potter's Bitch

Cat lady did not throw a cat. Quite Dissapointing. 3/5

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

It was alright, the episodes are definatley starting to get better though. Pryor is back with a different voice, but he looks a little odd this time around. Like the back of his head is too sloped.

Did that script follow this episode at all?

Very funny episode. That's all I really have to say. No jokes really fell flat for me, so I'm giving it a 4/5

4.5/5

Not as good as last weeks, but had some really great laughs. It was actually better than I'd expected it to be though. The last act went a little downhill, but I thougt the very end was a bit of a pickup. Deffinately a good episode though.
    [SIZE=1]

I really liked this episode. I thought the plot was solid, even if it didn't stick to one of the three major ideas. There were plenty of laughs throughout the entire episode, and the characterizations were solid. This is one of the most quotable episodes in a long time. So far, Ive been really impressed with this season. A-

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

So Springfield just suddenly hates Quimby? Looks like they just took a lousy story and smashed it together with a very underdeveloped story. Lisa's freakout was the only good part. 1/5

Red = Danger

It was a great beginning, I like some gags like the M.Largo and Smithers one. I really appreciated the big accident with the cops, ambulance, SPFD. Also, the Kent Brockamn campaign with the household fabric. The tennis ball gag was good. The Jimbo ad was also good. The Homer tail joke was great! There was many others good jokes... The only thing I dislike is the end...
    I give this episode a 8.6

It was okay, but I thought that had too many different plots going on at once. The father's Day and Lisa with DDD at the beginning was too much just for Homer to become The Safety Salamander. They wanted for him to become the mascot and win people over and then run for office and end up being hated, and that was enough to fill to episode, so every part was really condensed too much. It had pretty funny moments like Moe with the wedding album at the beginning, Willey breaking the glass, Cat Lady (surprisingly) and every Milhouse moment. But still, there was too many things happening to fit into one episode so most it felt rushed and not developed enough.

3/5

I thought the first two acts were strong, but the last few minutes of the episode were quickly labored and unexciting. Seeing that the halfway mark of the episode had passed and the mayor segment had barely been introduced made me know the third act would be rushed and underdeveloped.

Still, the first two acts, strong. I enjoyed the Father's Day stuff, from Homer's inserting he couldn't come to the mall and being giddy like a kid, to Ralph's money mouth, to the over-developed Swiss Army knife. Homer's treatment of Lisa's gift provided a few laughs too.
    The scenes at the school in the second act were generally good too, and despite all the insanity Homer was going through, the episode stayed pretty focused on how Homer was trying to win over his daughter (although I felt this was a little rehashed from "The Dad Who Knew Too Little", which I guess was a little redone from "Lisa the Greek" - although that actually involved Homer spending time with her instead of doing something extenious to get her back). Homer's different uses of the salamander suit were enjoyable, including puke disposal, chicken holder and apparently metaphysical tail petting.

The Cat Lady's speech was not funny. The writers really must learn that this character is so unbelieavably played. Milhouse's "WASSUP" return was quite random and unnecessary as well. And can someone explain what the significance of the "dance with daddy" was? I thought that was bizarre.

Revelations:
    - Dolph is Jewish
    - The cat lady is named Eleanor Abernathy.

4/5
    Signature.

2/5 Reallllyyyyyyy disliked this episode. Worst of the season so far. The pacing was awful. It was nice to see J. Loren Pryor, but what was with his voice?

BTW: I noticed that this episode is set in June, but Bonfire of the Manatees was set in August, and that came first. So do events happen out of order in The Simpsons?

Good episode. Jimbo's campaign commercial was probably the best part of the episode. 4/5

Dr. Jay's voice was the same as it was in "Lisa's Sax", in case anybody forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimes Sr.
    BTW: I noticed that this episode is set in June, but Bonfire of the Manatees was set in August, and that came first. So do events happen out of order in The Simpsons?
    I haven't even seen this episode yet but honestly, does it really matter? There's a Christmas episode in a few weeks. Who cares?

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

What ever happened with Bart and the sign anyways? Was that supposed to be a subplot?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, it was too silly, IMO. All the characters, with the exception of Marge seemed like they were on a NoDoz trip, or on crack and some of the gags were too tastless, even by my standards (Milhouse and the Train, especially).

I got the Scully vibe and that's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by JArthurtrain
    Best joke, Jimbo's campaign ad.
    Yeah, it was...

Grade: 2/5, or C-/D+
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 11-20-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

what's with the Halloween couch gags?

3/5 on first impression, but it'll probably go up after a repeat viewing. Third act fizzled, but the first two acts seemed solid enough. Quite a few callbacks, even another "jerkass" reference....

I missed the first act so some information will be missing. This episode had many problems involving character usage. Brandene and Cleatus are starting to become annoying with the redneck jokes happening pretty much in every episode this season and at the end of last season. I also hated the abuse of the Crazy Cat Lady with her being in every episode like the Yes Man was in seasons 11 to 13. The good parts of this episode was when Ranier Wolfcastle ran, I wish they extended that gag farther into the episode because it had potential. The ending was solid with Kent Brockman saying Quimby got "relected" because nobody got more then 5% of the popular vote. My final grade for this episode is 2.66 or a C+.

blah blah hugga bugga

The material has been reused sooooo many times. Homer always trying to make up for something he did wrong to lisa. I'm getting sick of it. And another thing that was annoying was that they didn't get to the whole point of the show until like 20 minutes into it. Which can be very, very, boring. I'm not saying this episode completely sucked. I'm just saying that the idea was used about 20 times before and it took a while to really get into the episode. 1/5.

Horrible, I hated it. The jokes were weak, and Homer was bad. 1/5

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    What ever happened with Bart and the sign anyways? Was that supposed to be a subplot?
    Not so much a sub-plot as the key to the Safety Salamander becoming famous, as the missing sign is what caused the pile-up.

Now it's time for my opinion which nobody gives two shits about!(Now in a New Format)

Well, I will start off by saying I am trying out a new format for my reviews today. I liked doing, plot/pacing, direction/acting, and humor, but it ot kind of strenuous, and sections, like the acting/direction, felt very repetitive and boring. So I am basically gonna just skip to the overview, try that out today, and see if it works. If it does, all my reviews will work like this from now on. It's a shame I had to try this out with such an awful episode . . . .

I'm just gonna cut to the crap, and by that, I mean crappy episode. I feel kind of stupid saying this after just defending the Jean episodes in Neo/Silver/Gala/Whateverlimit's thread, but this episode was definately a huge let down, especially after picking up from last weeks episode. This episode suffered from three fundamental problems:
    - One, this episode had a go nowhere plot. Each act felt like it was gonna build up to an actual plot until it was all over. The episode had no core, but instead event-->event-->event-->event. It was almost as if the writers sat around a table in the writers room, each person adding another pointless scene to the mix.
    - Two, the episode didn't take the opportunities it could have. This episode could have drastically improved just by crafting a more interesting and satirical as well as parodical episode. Why, oh why, did they not focus the plot on a recall election that baiscally came between Wolfcastle and Homer. That would have been oh so much better.
    - Finally, the humor was very, and I mean very bland. Only a few jokes made me laugh out loud(mainly in the third act), and only one joke made me laugh hard(Moe pasting the pictures). The rest was either stupid, onmnly smirk worthy, or just suffered from Family Guy syndrome(going on too long). I think the big problem is a lot of it was jerkass Homer(yes, I am finally picking up on how to correctly use that term), and had a lot of Scullyish randomly dumb homer humor.

This episode was just dissapointing. As I said before, there were a few good jokes and moments, but most of it fell through. On a side note, what the fuck was up with the pyschiatrists voice, it wasn't like that before, right? Huge, huge, huge let down. Here's to hoping next week's is much better. It hurt to give a simpsons episode this, especially this low too.

EDIT: On the rewatch I realized this episode was a bit funnier than I gave it credit for so I change my rating from 3/10 to 4/10.

FINAL SCORE: 4/10
    Last edited by Snack Related Mishap; 11-24-2005 at 09:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Pretty good episode with a pretty weak ending. The first two acts were great. 4/5

What was the couch gag? I missed it.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Thread Information