• 5/5

28 27.72%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: The Old Man And The Lisa

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: The Old Man And The Lisa

I have watched this one today FOR THE FIRST TIME (this and Lisa's Rival are the two episodes from classic era I had always contrived to miss).

Ok, talk about Oakley and Weinstein's story heavy episodes...this one had a very simple storyline and it was even boring at times. I think it has to be one of the weaker episodes from classic era. Burns was very senile for the most part and he was not very funny either, being the ending probably the most interesting part. And Lisa does nothing but talk about recycling during the whole episode. I rewatched Homer Vs The 18th Amendment also the other day and I fail to see how Swartzwelder could write such a funny episode before this one (incidentally I have liked HVTEA much more in this rewatching, I usually thought it was a weird contrived episode).

I guess I could give it a 4/5, but hardly. It is more like a 3,5/5. Even The Canine Mutiny delivers more laughs. I still apreciate the episode does a half-believable effort to make a strange team up between Lisa and Burns and some Homer moments are funny, but it is still quite weak.

3.5/5
    Watched it a couple months ago, I don't remember being all that impressed.

I thought this was one of the stronger Season 8 episodes but it appears I'm on my own on NHC. I always liked the scene where Burns revealed his plan to Lisa near the end. It's not a particularly memorable episode but I certainly wouldn't consider it boring.

B+
    Last edited by Veryjammy; 11-17-2005 at 04:51 PM.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    I always liked the scene where Burns revealed his plan to Lisa near the end.
    I admit I also liked that moment (the shots were great) but a lot of the rest is not very interesting/funny for me.

barts friend

3/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I like this episode quite a bit. The ending is almost too much, but I can't help but love how extremely dark it is. You have to give the writers credit for being brave. Burns may be a bit senile, but I think O&W were trying to see what they could do with him instead of simply playing off of him being old like in the Scully years. I disliked this episode when I first saw it, so maybe if you rewatch it a couple of times you'll see what they're trying to accomplish and appreciate it more.

A

Edit: Just watched this episode again and enjoyed it even more, so I'll change my grade. Season 8 is really growing on me; season 6 has replaced it as my least favorite classic season.
    Last edited by Green_Peaness; 11-17-2005 at 05:25 PM.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

4/5

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I found the last time I watched it that the first of half of it is fairly dull but the 2nd half picks up, I noticed there were quite a few jokes that went on for a while and i was supposed to be funny because they were showing a long sequnce of something very banal, burns putting the garbage away, and ketchup/catsup.
    But it has a very funny ending, Homer fainting, thinking 10% of 12 million is 12 thousand, "10% of 12 million isn't 12 thousand its," "code blue code blue"
    And I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with senile burns, he's always had a part of him that was like that. It's better than him having no characterisation and only being used weird lung and brain falling out jokes.

Haven't seen this episode in quite some time, but I remember it as a funny one, especially when the people are "hypnotized" into recycling.

5/5

It's like swallowing Draino

Good enough, 4/5.

Frankly, I didn't think Burns was THAT senile in this episode. (The worst was in seasons yet to come...)

And for some reason that whole "I'm shopping!" thing made me laugh. Shows how easily amused I am...

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork
    I have watched this one today FOR THE FIRST TIME (this and Lisa's Rival are the two episodes from classic era I had always contrived to miss).

Ok, talk about Oakley and Weinstein's story heavy episodes...this one had a very simple storyline and it was even boring at times. I think it has to be one of the weaker episodes from classic era. Burns was very senile for the most part and he was not very funny either, being the ending probably the most interesting part. And Lisa does nothing but talk about recycling during the whole episode. I rewatched Homer Vs The 18th Amendment also the other day and I fail to see how Swartzwelder could write such a funny episode before this one (incidentally I have liked HVTEA much more in this rewatching, I usually thought it was a weird contrived episode).

I guess I could give it a 4/5, but hardly. It is more like a 3,5/5. Even The Canine Mutiny delivers more laughs. I still apreciate the episode does a half-believable effort to make a strange team up between Lisa and Burns and some Homer moments are funny, but it is still quite weak.
    There's a can...

An amusing episode, Mr. Burns' experience in the retirement home was fun to watch and the ending with Homer's multiple heart attacks was wonderfully dark. 4/5

Yes, Burns was a bit senile, but I think it led up for a great ending: the intriguing idea that even when attempting to be a good person, there is no escaping his inner evil. I think some jokes were quite funny, and Lisa made for a good pairing up. Still, one of s8's weaker episodes.

B, or a 4/5

this was good i give it 3/5

The Magic 7

I loved this episode. I thought there were loads of laugh out loud moments. 4/5
    Top 25 episodes:
    1. Treehouse Of Horror V
    2. Homer The Heretic
    3. Bart After Dark
    4. Homer Badman
    5. Homer's Enemy
    6. Cape Feare
    7. Rosebud
    8. Bart On The Road
    9. Bart's Friend Falls In Love
    10. Marge Be Not Proud
    11. Round Springfield
    12. My Fair Laddy
    13. Last Exit To Springfield
    14. The Joy Of Sect
    15. Hurracaine Neddy
    16. Simple Simpsons
    17. Lisa's Substitue
    18. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious
    19. Mother Simpson
    20. Old Money
    21. In Marge We Trust
    22. Trilogy Of Error
    23. New Kid On The Block
    24. Hungry, Hungry Homer
    25. Brother From the Same Planet

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

Sandwiched between some season 8 masterpieces,The old man and the Lisa is forgotten episode. It doesn't mean it's bad,but it's not so memorable because of the others. 4/5
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

It doesn't do it for me. This was one of those episodes that the story was bigger and more serious for The Simpsons to have. It falls under those "conspiracy" shows where someone is commiting a crime and the only point of the show is to find out how it is resolved in the end. Much like when Sideshow Bob cheated at his Mayoral election and "Brother From Another Series."

has a smack of ham to him. kid_presentable's Avatar

5/5

It's mayyyyybe and A- because of the sheer unbelievability of the Simpson parents not stepping in to accept 12 million dollars on their moralizing daughter's behalf, but other than that this episode is nearly perfect to me. I love Burns' anachronicity (I may have just invented a word) and Lisa's characterization is done pretty well. Over all this is one of my favorite and most watched episodes.

Choke on your lies!!!

Pin Pal

good season 8 ep 4/5

pro-Mike Scully : ) Mister Cheech's Avatar

Another one of those eps that bug me slightly because characters miss out on phenomenal sums of money.

4/5

Good episode (catsup - ketchup).

I liked this one, I think I can stand one episode where Burns is a senile old man. At least he shows remnants of former evil glory and has a functioning body so I'll give it 3/5.

4/5, one of the more underrated episodes in the show's history.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

good season 8 episode, makes little debbbie look like a pile of puke, B+/A-
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

purple is a fruit

I watched it yesterday I think 4/5.

Banned

Quite a dull, boring episode. I lost interest in it pretty soon.

3/5

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3/5, it bores me

One of my least favorite episodes. Start of the episode isn't so bad and Lisa and Mr. Burns is an interesting combination at first for me, but in the end it really gets bad and the end is one of the worst imo.

D-

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

The episode itself is okay, but the ending ruins it for me. Not even Lisa would ever refuse those 12 million dollars. Much more realistic ending would've been that Lisa accepts the money and donates them right away to somewhere. We would've not lost the Homer's heart attack -joke and status quo would've been mantained.

i'm not good with user titles Lisa Is A Nut's Avatar

I like this episode, but don't love it. It's certainly watchable, but it doesn't stick out to me as one of the highlights of the Season. I enjoyed the plot and I liked Lisa a lot in this episode, but again, i've seen better.

3.5/5
    Missing Children Videos
    Find Madeline McCann
    The Help Find Madeline Forum
    Stop Animal Cruelty Petition

>>Madeline McCann disappeared from her hotel room in Praia Da Luz, Portugal, on May 3rd 2007. If you have any information on her disappearance please click here or visit the youtube missing children channel.

Thread Information