0 0%
  • 1/10 F

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Lisa's Rival

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal

Rate & Review: Lisa's Rival

A bit of an underrated gem this one. While not quite up to the standard of the excellent Bart of Darkness, these two prove that after a comparatively lacklustre second half of season 5 the show was back on top form (even the awful clip show that followed couldn't spoil that).

Anyway this has some of Lisa's best characterisation in the Simpsons - her all too real paranoia about Alison being 'better than her at everything that makes her special' is excellently portrayed, highlights being Lisa hyperventilating into her lunch bag, her jamming with Alison on the saxophone in her desperate attempt to win first chair and fainting with over-exertion, and the way she so readily takes Bart's underhand advice because she is so determined to beat Alison by whatever means whether fair or foul. The most touching moment in the episode is when Lisa realizes she's gone too far and generously restores Alison's diorama, and when neither of them win the competition, they decide they can be friends rather than bitter rivals with each other (even if Alison seems to strangely vanish off the face of Springfield for the next 200 odd episodes).

The only thing that prevents it from getting a perfect mark is the somewhat weaker sugar subplot. It's still funny, for no specific reason other than its surreality, being another of those 'wacky object' plots (like the trampoline in Bart's Inner Child and the pool in Bart of Darkness) - the humour comes from the pile of sugar per se, rather than Homer's strange quasi-philosophical rantings. The only problem is it doesn't seem to go anywhere - once the sugar melts, that's the last we see of Homer and Marge.

Anyway, this episode gets a very respectable 4.5/5 from me.

A

I agree with most of what you bring up, except that the sugar plot is my favourite part of the episode. It's just pointless fun (which is the best kind of fun).

D'OH-ETH!

4/5

9/10

"I knicked it. In that split second when you let your guard down. (takes sip). And I'd do it again."
    [SIZE=1]

Pretty good episode. What really works here (for me, at least) is the situation that the writers put Lisa in. She's competing against someone who's her intellectual rival, something she has trouble handling. She becomes insanely jealous of Allison, despite the fact that Allison only wanted to be her friend and never showed any sign of resentment towards her. She even goes so far as to sabotage her diorama. However, all it really comes down to is the fact that Lisa's becoming insecure. She's worried about the fact that someone else is now the "smart girl", leaving her without an identity. I don't know why, but I've always liked this story. Maybe because it's something I can sort of relate to.

Unfortunately, the subplot is what hurts my grade of this episode. I understand the writers probably wanted a lighthearted Homer story to go along with the much deeper Lisa one, but it just doesn't work for me. It's just kinda wacky and pointless.

Still, I'll give it a solid A-, or 9/10 for the poll.

barts friend

9/10

UR CLOTHES GIVE THEM TO ME Upgrayedd's Avatar

Very good episode, underrated. One of the first Simpsons episodes I've seen.
    (A)

4-8-15-16-23-42

A+. Underrated for season 6, but i love it.

A An excellent episode,but its not perfect.

B+

Another boring year

4/5 Good episode , but it isn't great
    scuse me if i write bad (the english kick my ass)

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    D'OH-ETH!
    That's from Bart of Darkness, not Lisa's Rival (or did you do that on purpose?)

Neither plot is perfect, but the episode is enjoyable overall. My grade is 4/5.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Stonecutter

I'd give it an A-.

Water on that Damn Shit! Ezekiel 25:17's Avatar

i love this one! A+
    For christ's sake, just wank. Everyone wanks.
    Your dad wanks. Your grandad wanks. The priests wank. I bet the pope has a good tug on his todger once in a while.

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

B

I didn't like the competitiveness in Lisa's character during this episode. It was all too peculiar and a bit pitiful. But i'll give it some credit for being neatly well-rounded, and having an awesome resolution. "My cat's breath smells like cat food".

Worst. Signature. Ever.

A good episode for me too.
    Funny and interesting to see that Lisa has a rival.
    Also some good gags even when nothing hilarious happens

B

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

just saw it the other day, solid A- episode, really important for Lisa's character
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Good episode, although I tend to remember Homer's subplot more than the main story. It's a shame Alison became just a background character after this. I like that Scarface quote.

B+
    "In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women."
    00 32 15 19 4 21 2 25 17 34 6 27 13 36 11 30 8 23

10 5 24 16 33 1 20 14 31 9 22 18 29 7 28 12 35 3 26 0

personaly i loved the sugar sub-plot it was really pointless and silly but it also had lots of laugh out loud funny moments in it, even the gag characters were halairios and well delivered, the british guy in the sugar and the bee keepers (i loved the way the bee keeper guy talked "NO NOISE suggests no bees" "TO THE BEE MOBILE!")
    alison was a nice girl she was sweet and didn't shove it in anyones face how much smarter she was and her design helped alot too she was cute and its hard to hate her and that helped alot in getting lisa to realise her mistake.
    i loved lisa's characterisation in this ep for once it's not lisa vs. the world (which i'm kind of sick of ) but in a small way lisa vs. lisa she had to come to terms with the fact she was not the best at what she did and i think that good for lisa she sometimes gets on a high horse being the genius in the family and all.
    also this episode is kinda proof to me that lisa doesn't get along well with her own kind oh she whines all the time about wanting to spent time with someone as smart as her but when they turn up she gets all terretorial XD whatever elite college she goes to is going to be hell for her, it upsets her that she's not perfect but i think thats what makes her a simpson.
    i enjoyed ralph's part in this episode besides winning the diaorama contest in the end and ending the compitition between the two girls he served to show lisa exactly when lisa stopped being the smartest girl in class when he started trying to get the answers from alison (poor guy, for some reason my favorite ralph line in this ep wasnt the cat food line but the little sad "leave me alone" to lisa, no-ones helping him and hes resigned to his coming F it's never a nice feeling getting an F no matter how many you get)

all in all this episode had everything i could want character interaction, Ralph, realistic charecterizations, and stellar comedy
    A+
    -----

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons_Fanboy
    I didn't like the competitiveness in Lisa's character during this episode. It was all too peculiar and a bit pitiful.
    wat?
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

i think lisa is portrade as a less intellegent person in this episode

A nice episode, I thought it was a good turn for Lisa and Bart was hilarious in it.

Winona Ryder does a nice job as guest voice and its a superb B story that pushes this from a C to a B

7/10
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Lisa's Rival - 7
    Homer's Sugar - 9

8/10
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

Love the stuff with fugitive Milhouse and Homer's sugar. "I have a ball. Perhaps you'd like to bounce it." always cracks me up.

8/10

Quote Originally Posted by I-CloWn-I View Post
    i think lisa is portrade as a less intellegent person in this episode
    I think that is the goodness of the episode. Lisa acts like a jealous/childish 8 y\o and realizes she has a competitor. Alison is the "smartie" Lisa wants to be. I personally don't like Alison (she seems like the "too intelligent to be her age" child we don't want Lisa to be) but it works for the purpose of the show. The sugar subplot was silly and fun. Some minor "kinks"--the sugar subplot did drag, Skinner seemed out-of-character, but great overall. B.
    ~Kristen~
    : http://darfurherald.wordpress.com/

March's quote: "We come to honor Bloody Guts Murphy..."--Timothy Lovejoy

Blog Entries

Meh, one of those episodes I could do without. The plot was rather meh nad there weren't many funny moments (IMO). I also didn't like the Milhouse cutaway gags. However, I did like the sugar subplot. 6.5/10

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is one of those episodes that had everything necessary to be a masterpiece. Great characterizations (I love how Lisa is portrayed here and the new student has a lot of depth), great humour (the sugar subplot is hilarious and the scenes at Allison's house and Ralph winning the contest made me die laughing) and a well-developed story.

But, for some reason, I don't find this episode perfect. It transmits me a vague sensation of emptiness. The plot didn't feel as good as it could have been, and the whole episode wasn't A+-worthy at all. But it had objectively enough quality to reach that level. Anyway, 9.5/10, 9/10 for the poll.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

B. Ralph was hilarious, I loved Uter eating his chocolate factory- "I begged you to let me go first!" A great episode, but not great enough to be called classic, I think.

the original Sex Pistol

9/10. Very good episode, good characterisations of both Bart and Lisa.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

6/10

Thread Information