View Poll Results: How would you rate this year's THOH?

Voters
397. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

73 18.39%
  • 4/5

136 34.26%
  • 3/5

117 29.47%
  • 2/5

48 12.09%
  • 1/5

23 5.79%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Treehouse of Horror XVI" (GABF17)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    I didn't mind the Hindu aspect of the joke so much but I really hated the 'fear mixed with curry' line, I thought it incredibly offensive to be honest.
    ahh, i see. I didn't even put the line together with Apu, because of the way it was edited. I thought Burns just said a random line, then we flashed forward to him shooting Apu.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I thought the Hindu joke was fine. IMO, there were at least a dozen more offensive religion jokes in last season's finale.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    I thought the Hindu joke was fine. IMO, there were at least a dozen more offensive religion jokes in last season's finale.
    I watched it THOH XVI with a bengali hindu (like Apu) friend of mine and he found that joke hilarious. In fact he laughed out loud.

Anyways onto my very late ,pathetic and inarticulate review:

Opening : Pretty funny and and animation was fantastic. I enjoyed that God still has give fingers. But it ran a little too long, and as the 3rd segment felt too rushed, the episode could have benefitted from a shorter opening. B

B.I. Bartificial Intellingence : I enjoyed the allusions to the movie. Some of gags were generally quite funny(Bart enjoying his ice cream, Homer's chat with Bart in the car, "I'm a human, not a girl,", Homer's stubby little legs,) but a tad predictable (the peacock joke comes to mind and also the following weak jab at stem cells). Still the segment felt rushed,having occasional pacing problems and I really wanted more of the cyborg Bart. I loved how Bart reawakened with completing his catchphrase. Though I am disappointed that they'll never do a full spoof Excorsist, I liked the ending. B-

Survival of the fattest : Well this was the darkest of the 3 segments. Most deaths were quick and violent and the animation on Mr. Burns was excellent, making him look very menacing. Several jokes fell flat (its been already mentioned how the overlong joke with the lawyer killed the pacing but Moe's death was also overlong). I enjoyed Moe's timeshare line, Lenny's vision of heaven and the guest star delivered his lines well. However, the make-out ending kind of killed this segment for me; I wanted a better resolution. C+

I've Grown A Costume On Your Face :Well, the plot was very,very,very thin and had no resolution at all. All this set out to is rely completely on sight gags. Speaking of which, they were generally funny enough for me to get a laugh. Also the animation was excellent here as well. Lisa as Einstein was the best part of the segment for me and the others (Raccoon Nelson,GI Joe Skinner, R2D2 Apu, Gorilla Grandpa, Mayor Mccheese Quimby, Blackula) were funny as well. The ending with Maggie turning everyone into pacifiers felt like a duex ex machina for me. B-

Ending:Once again, this went on too long and I am afraid I actually failed to find any joke here.I hated Dennis Rodman's cameo and felt it was completely pointless. C-

Al "Family Guy" Jean A++ (best laugh I had from this episode)

The animation completely blew me away. IMO, best animated THOh since IV and V. David Silverman

Overall: B- .

Can someone make a list of all the personas every character changed into?
    Last edited by Imperciph; 11-10-2005 at 06:06 AM.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Let's see...

Homer--Headless Homer
    Marge--Skeleton Marge
    Lisa--Albert Einstein
    Bart--Werewolf
    Maggie--Witch
    Dr. Hibbert--Dracula
    Nelson--Raccoon
    Grampa--Gorilla
    Sideshow Mel--Spider-Man
    Moleman--Mole
    Patty/Selma--Horse's head & hindquarters (forgot which was which, I think Patty was the butt)
    Qumby--Mayor McCheese
    Willie--Can of Bug Spray
    Martin--Fairy
    Flanders--Flower
    Bumblebee Man--Bumblebee
    Skinner--G.I. Joe
    Kirk--Caveman
    Apu--R2D2

Can't remember who Agnes was supposed to be, or who was the bulldozer, among others.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Milhouse was a bulldozer. Agnes was just some 19th century girl i guess. Probably Daisy Miller, given her promiscuity.
    Moe was Hugh Heffner
    Wiggum as Jared.
    Lou and Eddie seem to be muskateers or something.
    Cletus was a colonial person.
    Lenny - jailbird
    Carl - mummy
    Frink - caveman (Kirk is tarzan)
    Squeeky Voiced Teen - Tin Man
    Barney - Frankenstien's Monster
    Gil - ghost
    Sea Captian - Poseidon
    Jasper - scarecrow
    Luigi - wedding cake
    Disco Stu - Steve Martin
    Quimby's security - kitty
    Old Jewish Man - brother Irving
    Sherri / Terri - i have no diea. Twins in stupid hats

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    Sherri / Terri - i have no diea. Twins in stupid hats
    Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

Kent Brockman appeared to be a pirate of sorts.

Krabappel was some sort of snake creature.

Patty was the ass, Selma was the ass's ass.

Lenny really should have been Carl. There are at least two good jokes there: Lenny in blackface and Lenny as Carl. C'mon, who dropped the ball?

Stonecutter

Quite good, though below average for thoh. The opening was good, though dragged on a bit. B/B+

First act

Humour: 3/5
    plot: 4.5/5
    characterizations: 3/5 (didn't like David)
    Ending: 4/5
    Overall: B

Second act

Humour: Not a huge fan of dark humour, though this worked 4/5
    Plot: 4/5
    Characterizations: 4.5/5 Classic Burns.
    Ending: 2/5 A bit original. Should of been a twist.
    Overall: B+

Third act:

Humour: 3.5/5
    Plot: 1.5/5
    Characterizations: Some good ideas, but I think they missed out on some gags 3/5
    Ending: 1.5/5 hardly amusing, and I prefer intros like the early days.
    Overall: B-

There was nothing special about this one at all. it was quite amsuing and had its moments, though you just got the impression that they'd run out of ideas. Overall about 3.5/5 (B/B-) though I'll have to re-watch.

in exchange for 2 hours downloading time, i was treated to a pile of blandness.

the animation was good. the plots had potential. the gags... were lacking.

tbh, not one single joke had me beyond a smirk.

i think the episode would've been a lot more coherent had i muted the sound on the video and played the beatles' "revolution no. 9" in the background.

Blog Entries

The cold opening and the first story were good, but the rest was pretty half-assed

Stonecutter

what's with these dark religion jokes now btw?

hibbert in milhouse of sand and fog and apu in thoh!

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

Downloading, so far watched the first two stories, and it seems really good. Not as good as XIII and XIV, but still A-standard.

B.I. A- (great jokes, but I HATE dream endings)
    Survival A+ (fucking HILARIOUS)

So far looking like an A, but Costume could change that.
    One of the few who still enjoys new episodes of The Simpsons.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney
    what's with these dark religion jokes now btw?

hibbert in milhouse of sand and fog and apu in thoh!
    Yeah - these jokes feel overused already and weren't that great from the start.

Anyway, sorry for the later than normal review but I've been loaded with work last week.

THOH XVI was another solid offering to the Treehouse of Horror saga with three strong tales. Very similarly to THOH XIV in Season 15, the ending of each segment was a bit of a letdown but the tales themselves were strong enough to still be very funny.

Opening: This is my favourite opening for a long time. The baseball sequences went on a bit too long but the idea was great - and the stunning animation really helped. "Smooth move, space lax!" and the sticky note on nothingness were hilarious. A

B.I. Bartificial Intelligence: A nice parody on A.I. that worked pretty well. The run up to the main plot was short but as it's a THOH it doesn't really matter. Although a lot of it was sight gags 'look what this robot can do!' they were funny. Homer's lines, however, never seemed to be that great and the ending wasn't exactly unexpected (Waking up after a dream and weird stuff happening.) Still funny though, with Homer's new legs and the ice cream being highlights. B.

Survival of the Fattest: Aside from the ending (I don't like seeing happy endings in THOHs or celebrity cameos!) this was a great one. Lots of laughs all round, and Burns overstepping the mark was an area that the show hadn't done before. I never really liked the commentaries as I felt they detracted from the atmosphere of the segment, and more time should have been spent on Burns hunting Homer. Very dark, and just right for a THOH. A-

I've Grown A Costume On Your Face: The idea and basic plot was good (as well as the excellent title) and the run up to this segment was excellent. Although it was great to see the characters changed completely, especially animation wise, I just don't feel that the plot was explored to its full potential nearly enough. Lisa having the idea of Maggie turning everyone back to normal just seemed to come out of nowhere and although Maggie turning everyone into pacifiers was a good idea, Moe's speech at the end was definitely unneccesary and laughless ("We hope you enjoyed this..." etc) - and took time away from the end of the plot . Grade: B-

Overall, another good THOH - just wish FOX had the sense to show it at Halloween for a change! Grade: B+
    Last edited by simplysimpsons; 11-11-2005 at 03:39 PM.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Banned

At least this THOH had stories where they are actually scary, gory, and is associated with halloween. Unlike other years where THOH has no sense of scaryness at all.

In the B.I Bartificial intelligence segment, Lisa is shown reading a book titled "Master Of the Senate" by Robert A. Caro.

Can someone explain the significance of this reference?

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    Gotta ask - is there ONE person here who did not see the turn-of-expectations "Peacock Habitat" sign joke coming a mile away? Seriously.
    I knew that it was coming (since I'd seen it done hundreds of times before, and not just in The Simpsons), but the Mutant thing was unexpected. I thought it would say "Lion and Peacock Habitat" or something like that.

Watched Costume, and it had many good jokes, but SO SHORT! The plot was just thrown at you, and it was over before you could say "This looks interesting". And I HATED HATED HATED that ending. C

Overall, because of the brilliant intro and first two stories, an A-: gigantically better than XV, but not as good as XIII and XIV (which are both A+).

The Peacock joke was toaly stupid, its been done before and this time it wasn't even cleaver, was it surposed to tric us who saw the promo into thinking this is how bart gets mangled and rebuilt as a robot (which ofcourse never happened).

Even after a second viewing I don't understand why Bart says "now I’m going to get back at the one who did this to me". Technically David did nothing, Homer was the one who dumped him, and He made the body himself, which presuming he could take off seeing as it’s unrealistic for a 10 year old boy to decapitate himself and assemble a fully functional robot body after doing so.

And why the hell do I care so much?!

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok. I'm a little late but I just downloaded it. Eh, I didn't find it too bad. I found two big problems:

1-Stories felt too short
    2-Guest Stars seemed intrusive and they were unfunny and ugly caricatures

Apart from that I more or less like it.

Introduction-That was superb. I loved the ending of it. The post it was hilarious. 4,5/5

Bartificial Intelligence. This was better than I was expecting. It wasn't excellent but I even liked the jokes for the promos more when watching them in the actual context. Ending felt a little too rushed but I actually liked Bart's behaviour all through the segment. For some reason dream endings work better in the last segment of the THOH, though. 4/5

Survival Of The Fattest. Good atmosphere and Burns looked more active and evil but I only found a couple of jokes amusing (mainly the signals "Barney", "Lenny" and "Carl" over their heads and Lenny's heaven). It could have been pretty good though, without the lame cameo and artificial ending. 3,5/5

I've Grown A Costume Out Of You. Ok, I actually think this one had potential. And I really found some moments great but I still can't believe how short it was. It seems like the witch talked a lot and they spend very little time with the transformations, which were the funniest part. The ending was even more artificial than the other and all the talking+Dennis Rodman cameo were awful. I think the short moment when transformations take place is more amusing than anything in Dr Hibbert's Island but as a whole Dr Hibbert's one was probably better. 3/5

So it was very average, but I liked little details like animation, a little more horror in general and Barney and Burns having a bigger role. But I totally hated the cameos, they didn't work at all, were extra-forced, artificial and unfunny.

I'm reading simplesimpson and Imperciph reviews just now and I almost could have avoided to do mine.I agree pretty much with the things most people pointed out.

Take it easy, Veryjammy. It wasn't excellent or anything but I was expecting much worse by reading your review.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 11-13-2005 at 06:53 PM.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dull. Just really really forgetable and bland and I found myself constantly looking at the clock wondering how much time was left. There wasn't anything offensivley bad but it all just felt very rushed and done to complete the production target. All the plots just didn't go anywhere and either just felt like a series of sketches - the various ways people die, or their various costumes. Or in the case of the first segment it just meanderd around with no centeral conflict.

Bartificial Intelligence D+/C-
    Survival Of The Fattest C+
    I've Grown A Costume On Your Face C-
    Overall C-
    Last edited by Postmaster; 12-19-2005 at 02:16 AM.

Better than the previous 2. The opening was pretty crappy. B.I. was pretty good, had some laughable bits. Survival Of The Fattest was alright, but you get the feeling that they're just trying to find ways to kill off loads of Springfielders in recent segments. Costume was OK but what did it last, 30 seconds or something? Overall it was decent but not really that memorable. 6/10

Stonecutter

The best bits were the opening and the first segment.
    After that, "Survival Of The Fattest," was a bit dull and "Costume On Your Face," seemed quite short. It was alright, though. Overall, it was average for a THOH episode. No brilliant segments, but no dreadful ones, either. C+ 3/5

The poorest new episode I can remember in ages. There seemed to be little cohesion in any of the stories; instead it was just a series of 'wacky' events. This resulted in a few isolated moments that were funny and interesting but there was plenty of pointless crap too. Maybe I would have enjoyed the A.I. rip-off a bit more if I didn't despise the film so much but the other to storylines (bar a couple of good lines) were such a total waste of time that I'd forgotten what the second act was about by the end of the show. Unlike most fans I liked Jean's previous Treehouses Of Horror but this was one of his worst episodes as EP.

It was a good thoh my favorite thing was (MOE-I hope you enjoyed watching this as much as the Koreans did animating it)

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

It was okay. Treehouse of Horror XVI had its good moments, and it had its bad moments too. It mostly suffered from 'mediocre moments.' The guest "stars" didn't really make much contribution to the plots, or lack of them. The bald presenter (can't remember what his name was) wasn't really necessary, but I'll let that slide. Dennis Rodman was awful though. As was most of I've Grown A Costume On Your Face. Only marginally better than The Island of Doctor Hibbert, and virtually the same plot - replace Springfield inhabitants turning into animals with Springfield inhabitants turning into costumed characters. Survival of the Fattest was quite funny but seemed far too short, as did Costume. Though I don't see how they could have made those segments much longer as they weren't really much more than one-joke premises. Bartificial Intelligence was okay. Quite funny but ultimately underwhelming. I really enjoyed the opening though. Despite the fact that it was very long for a Treehouse of Horror opening, it made me laugh, and I liked the animation on all existence being sucked away. What a shame that they had to end the opening for three mediocre segments.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

After re-watching it on Sky One, I will have to change my grade from C- to D+ (not that anyone really cares heh.) The whole episode was just a mess, most of the gags in this episode summed up how I feel about Jean humour all in all, bland, uninspired and just not funny.

EDIT: Maybe that comment was a bit harsh, I just can't seem to grasp Jean's style of humour, although his style in seasons 3 and then alongside reiss in 4 was perhaps the pinnacle of The Simpsons humour in general.
    Last edited by California Prunes; 12-18-2005 at 02:06 PM.
    DVD Season Rankings - 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 8, 1

5/5. the costume one was fantastique!!!

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How odd Dennis Rodman appearing on the U.K celebrity big brother after appearing in this episode. Yes I'm a sad cunt that watched it.

I liked this episode. I even liked the third story despite the fact that it didn't have much of a plot. My favourite story would of been the second one. I do agree that the opening went for a bit too long, I still liked it though.

Luke

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    How odd Dennis Rodman appearing on the U.K celebrity big brother after appearing in this episode. Yes I'm a sad cunt that watched it.
    If I watched it too, I might have actually thought his appearance was funny. But I didn't.

Overall, the quality of the episode goes from good to bad gradually as it moves along. The opening is the funniest we've had in 7 years, the first sketch was one of the better ones in recent Treehouses of Horror, the second sketch was fast-paced and relatively humourous but nothing special, and the third sketch was a waste. Overall, only slightly below average, but as THOHs go, it's the second-worst, ranking ahead of only X. My grade is 3/5.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I enjoyed this thouroughly. 4/5
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

I thought XV was a lot better than this -- the opening was pretty dumb (the only real good thing I found was how unexpected the post-it note THOH title was).

B.I: started out good, seemed to lose it's way after Homer got cut in half, and the end of it brought it down.

SOTF: The title was already stolen from Simpsons Comics #12...geez...anyway, the best of the episode, I actually had no real problems with this.

IGACOYF: The worst of the episode. It just seemed so stupid, and the cameo at the end brought it down even further.

2/5
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Thread Information