• 2/5

0 0%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score & Summarize: "Brush With Greatness"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Score & Summarize: "Brush With Greatness"

Another excellent episode from the wonderful second season. The subplot is the best mention of Homer's weight there's ever been, while Marge's subplot is fantastic. There's plenty to laugh at, particularly in the first act at the waterpark. I enjoy this one a lot and may even place it in the top 25. 5/5
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

4-8-15-16-23-42

Score and Summarise? (Note the british spelling; I'm british.)

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

It's a great episode for all those reasons, plus a great characterization of Burns, but the episode is still flawed. It's fairly disjointed, with the first act only setting up Homer's subplot (even though it's very funny), and Marge's main plot not being introduced until about halfway through iirc.

A
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Best of season 2, A

Yeah what Fuzzy said basically, it's quite disjointed but still a great Season 2 episode. A

One of the best episodes. 5/5

Not the best, but it was nice.

4/5

Dr. Bartley

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    Not the best, but it was nice.

4/5
    agreed, also 4/5.

can't talk; coming down Lizard Queen's Avatar

3/5 I love the ending.

Copy aand pasted from my post in "General Discussion Lounge"

I just watched "Brush With Greatness" and I think it is very very funny, right on par with the Season 4,5,6 gag-fests. If it aired in Season 4, there would have been smoe cutaways added and if it aired Season 5 or 6 it would have just contained some surreal gags.

I am posting this because many think that Season 2's humor is just character based but this is also chock full of great gags :"Can we have a pool Dad?" is one of the best this show has ever done, Homer's subplot to lose weight is as hilarious as "King-size Homer". There is some great Burns and Smithers interaction too. And who won't find Burns' final painting not funny?

Well-deserved A
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus Malorkus
    Score and Summarise? (Note the british spelling; I'm british.)
    So is Nameless, yet she didn't use it. (And she considered Marge's role a "subplot".)

I'm no art critic, but I know what I hate. And I don't hate this.

Then again, it's not one of my favourites either. While I liked much of the first act, I was silent through the second. A couple of good scenes in the third kept my attention, but I'd still consider it average. 3/5.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Pin Pal

Sorry, but as I have remarked on another thread, I consider this one of the weaker S2 episodes. The main problem I have is the overabundance of tangentially related plot segments, and also I find the fixation on Homer's excessive obesity and naked torso somewhat repulsive. However watching it again has made it gone up a bit in my estimation, mainly due to fine Burns/Smithers characterization (once it settles down to a coherent plot). Rating: 3.5/5 or B-

I love this one! It's in my top 10.

Best Beatle preformance ever to be on the simpsons

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    And who won't find Burns' final painting not funny?
    Um, I won't find it not funny...

That is, I find it funny.

5/5
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

One of the greats of the early-early days, first real time a celebrity playing himself had a great performance, absolutely loved Burns 5/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Not waving but drowning Lady_Simpson's Avatar

Really funny moments
    Great reference to Homer's weight
    Unique idea
    Burns portrait just funny

4/5
    You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler, you. Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities! - Sideshow Bob

I too think that it is on par with later episodes. The idea that a water park ride is monitored under the watchful eyes of security personel who have a detailed computerized map of the system seems like it came right out of a Mirkin episode. A, or a 4 out of 5.

Very good! Unique and fun. 5/5
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

I was not built to baaake Ms. Botz's Avatar

Nice episode from an awesome season. One of my favorites of the season.

Uh, Do I still get paid?

John Lovitz steals the show.

'the man was a fool, but one must admire the force of his convictions'

'marge please, i dont take praise very well!'
    On the other hand, who's to say what's right these days, what with all our modern ideas...and products?

It's like swallowing Draino

Just re-watched this a few days ago, and I have got to say, it’s a damn fine episode.

I love the characterizations in this one: anyone who says that Marge is a shallow, jerkassy bitch nowadays ought to watch this episode and see her one of the best instances of her character (not to mention one of her lifelong dreams). I love how supportive she was of Homer’s crusade to lose weight, and how she jumped to his defense after Mr. Burns insulted him. Nice to see her get revenge on Burns in a way at the end, and everyone’s reaction to the painting was just gold. (“He’s bad, but he’s going to die-I like it!”)

There were some nicely written Burns-Smithers exchanges here as well :they’re like a breath of fresh air nowadays, with both characters being maligned so much as of late. Frankly, I can’t remember writers in the Scully or Jean era being able to make the plutocrat and his yes-man play off of one another so damn well. Oh, and the joke involving Ringo Starr and his devotion to his fanmail was hilarious.

If I have one gripe, it’s that Act 1 had almost nothing to do with the other two acts. For a moment, one would think the Homer-losing-weight subplot was going to be the focus of the entire episode. Oh well, I’ve always thought of this as a character-driven episode more than anything.

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I'll give it 5/5,although it's 4.5/5. I always enjoy watching it,Burns is classic in this one. The scenes in Mount Splashmore are hilarious,I almoast cried of laughter because of the "fat Homer" scenes.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

the original Sex Pistol

lovitz always great
    5/5

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

Great, great episode. Homer's attempts to lose weight was hilarious, but also sweet. And Mr. Burns was of course fabulous. And Ringo's guest spot was very funny too. I think the end was the highest point of the episode, the way Marge exacted revenge so fantastically while staying perfectly calm and in-character, even tricking Mr. Burns into making an idiot of himself without him realizing it or getting her into trouble was possibly one of Marge's most defining moments to date. So very, very Marge-esque (I make up alot of words don't I?), especially that line at the end "I thought I did." Definitely one of her most exquisite characterizations ever. Marge works really well with Mr. Burns, it's a shame they haven't put the two of them together more often. It's not, like, the greatest episode ever, but it's definitely far up there. 5/5
    Last edited by TerwilligerBob; 07-12-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    "Attention Duelists!"

A truly awesome episode. Marge gains confidence with her painting and even gets a response from Ringo. And, Mr. Burns accepts the painting. A true classic. 5/5

A really good episode for me, especially because of the story.
    Ringo as guest star was also great and worked perfectly in the episode.
    I especially liked the scenes with Mr. Burns and the end of the story.

B+

I thought this episode was a bit boring at times but Mr.Burns made this episode a lot better. B-

I love "Who Shot Mr Burns?" as much as the next person (well, the next person who loves "Who Shot Mr Burns?" anyway) but an early episode like "Brush With Greatness" really showed how Mr Burns can be portrayed as a villain without resorting to "cartoonish super villainy". He doesn't need to block out the sun or cut Springfield's power, he's just downright nasty and ill-tempered. It's entertaining to watch the interactions between Burns and Smithers at a time when Smithers' orientation and feelings towards his boss were still somewhat ambiguous, though with lines like "He's not just my boss...he's my best friend, too" it's one of the early ones that suggested Smithers was more than just sycophantic.

Meanwhile, Homer's subplot was woven into the episode seamlessly and intersected with Marge's plot very naturally and in a way that served both stories very well, with Homer's sensitivity and embarrassment about his weight and Marge's struggle to deal with Burns' nastiness. It's not necessarily a very funny episode but there are some quotable lines (particularly at the end during the unveiling) and I certainly wouldn't call it humourless. All in all it's a fun, enjoyable episode. 4.5/5
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

Thread Information