51 20.56%
  • 1/5

28 11.29%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homer's Odyssey

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Come on England! The lesson is never try's Avatar

Homer's Odyssey

One of my least favourite ever episodes ever, 1/5 F, it was awful, Homer trying to kill himself? the episode as a whole was very boring, and not funny.

it's good until homer tries to commit suicide, then it's bad for a moment, then it's better. 3/5

4-8-15-16-23-42

dire

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

It may be one of the weaker S1 episodes, but it's still a great episode. Homer's thoughts when Burns offers the safety job are great. 5/5
    One of the few who still enjoys new episodes of The Simpsons.

Stonecutter

It's not terrible, but far from good. Homer is out of character, even for Season one. It's fairly depressing and quite dull. The third act is fairly good though, and the rest of the family are in good character. There a few decent jokes here and then to save it from being bad, 3/5

Weakest of season 1. Not terribly funny at all, and Homer trying to commit suicide is one of the worst, most out of character things he's ever done. Pretty awful. 1/5

Not a really good episode with very few gags 2/5

As I've said so many times, the most underrated episode ever B+
    I'm just like Homer!
    I'm Homer, who are you? by NoHomers.net
    mighty fine sper-lunkin'!

Not terrible, but still weakest of season 1, 3/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I'll agree with Drunk Barney on this one. The writers may have known that the audience hadn't grown too attached to Homer yet. Homer trying to kill himself is only shocking now because he is such a beloved character.

I did laugh a few times. The nuclear power film felt more Simpsonesque than most of the rest of season 1. But yeah, all in all it is dull, and Homer crusading against the power plant does feel out of character even for season 1.

C
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Back but still forgotten

Underrated, Actually has some good gags
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

back in black

Average episode, below average animation. Rounds out to a 2/5, weakest of Season 1.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Pin Pal

4/5. It was a great episode.

Okay, nothing special, 'cept Mr. Burns sounds like an ogre in this one.

3/5

Mad without power

"Call of the Simpsons" and "The Crepes of Wrath" are both a lot worse. Besides, Smiiln' Joe Fission owns.

3/5
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

Blog Entries

Looks like young Simpson's going to kill himself!

OR MAYBE HE'S JUST TAKING HIS BOULDER FOR A WALK HAW HAW HAW

Meh 3/5

It's like swallowing Draino

Let's see, apart from Suicidal Homer, some craptacular animation, an iffy plot, and an 'Oh-my-God-Smithers-was-black-once-and-Burns-sounds-funny' reaction from yours truly (that'd be me), this episode was pretty watchable. Besides, after viewing "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder" and that Suicidal Homer scene, the one here seems almost inoffensive.

3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

I like the realism and the comedy, and I love season one overall. 5/5
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

It was okay, nothing special and definitely one of the weaker episodes from Season 1.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

It clearly doesn't stand the test of time, what with Smithers being black and Burns being voiced by Chris "Cobra Commander" Latta, instead of Harry, and yeah, it's quite unsettling seeing Homer try to kill himself
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Can we add explosions? DDshoeshowz's Avatar

I don't see the big concern about Homer's suicide. There have been plently of jokes about suicide in the current Simpsons episodes.

As well, Homer wasn't quite as beloved or developed as he is now. For the first season of the show, I found it be quite exceptional. 5/5.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

Can anyone say spinning newspapers? 4/5

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

OK,I read somebody's reviews and thoughts on Homer trying to kill himself. People said that it's out of character. Well,I guess you could cut it some slack,it was season 1,the characters weren't totaly defined yet.

I personaly think this episode is pretty solid. Many jokes that I liked,like Homer's signs,the famous I.P.Freely prank call,and the whole trip at the begining. It's quite enjoyable in my opinion. 4/5

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

I sometimes wonder if people judge season 1 episodes based on later season criterea without realizing how far the show was from finding its voice at that point. This was the third episode, both produced and aired, and when it first aired our conception of Homer was not as the guy who would later skip work every day to focus on some new interest, it was as a dim-witted, 9-5 blue-collar schlub who had to take a second job as a mall Santa just to pay for Christmas. At the time, it was easy to accept Homer becoming depressed after losing his job and being unable to find work.

Even knowing that it's nothing like what the show would become, I think this episode holds up marvelously today. Even if it is quite dark, it never loses its sense of humor. Homer dragging a boulder to a bridge only to find another boulder right there is a great gag, and certainly fitting with the tone the series would come to be known for. Personally, I love the realism in this episode. I really feel for Homer as he contemplates suicide here, and was insulted when the idea was revisited in Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder for a cheap gag. I rate this a 4/5.

Good points from the person above, Homer's character necesarrily wasn't defined that early on in the show. I actually thought it was pretty good, it's just when you compare the gags, Homer's personality, etc. in this episode to the classic era, it comes short to impress.

Makes drinky-drinky motion dr. nick's Avatar

Another Season 1 ep with good writing and not alot of jokes 3/5
    MySpace | MyDVDs | If You Like Roller Coaster Tycoon, Click This
    Homer: "Lisa, the mob is working on getting your saxaphone back. But we've also expanded into other areas. Literacy programs, preserving our beloved covered bridges, world domination."
    Lisa: "World domination?"
    Homer: "Oh, ahh, that might be a typo."
    Homer's Brain: "Mental note: the girl knows too much."

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. C+, or a 3/5.

Pretty dull episode 2/5 aka C

A Classic Simpson Ep. It must'a help lay a foundation of fun for all the episdoes that would step over it towards the future. My only concern is that Homers So popular, If he made suicide look cool, Everybody would wanna try it!!

Thread Information