• 2/5

2 1.96%
  • 1/5

3 2.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R & R Round Springfield

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R & R Round Springfield

I saw this episode today and absolutely loved it, many people hate it,and say it's not got any gags, but it is very funny, and very emotional (compared to some) Very underated, I have to give it a 5/5.

Purple Is A Fruit.

4/5

Good, solid episode. Very emotional, and certainly isn't as bad as it is sometimes made out to be.

I agree, I don't think the episode is lacking in gags. The problem is that half of them really bomb, I think this has the highest miss/hit ratio of the golden era. Add in a story which never really engages emotionally and it's a very weak golden-era episode

C+

Come on England! The lesson is never try's Avatar

1/5 rubbish.

5/5 - Extremly Underrated

Banned

not bad some where around 150-200 3/5

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

5/5 WAAAY Underrated. One of my favourite episodes of all time.

Also has one of the best songs in the whole show (The Jazzman).
    One of the few who still enjoys new episodes of The Simpsons.

A very underrated episode,brilliant 5/5

It's a good idea for an episode, but very little of it feels like "A" material. It's very much a taste thing, of course, whether a joke works or not, but I think a surprising number of jokes either don't work or feel recycled from earlier things they'd done (or, as in the case of "Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys," used to be funny but no longer is, because it's been politicized and turned from jokey France-bashing into real, nasty France-bashing).

I think a fundamental problem with the story is that Lisa spends most of the story making a connection with, well, nobody, because Bleeding Gums is dead and she doesn't interact much with her family. The old idea was that she'd meet a guy who she could connect with more than her family, but ultimately it would lead her to connect more with her family; that's what happened with Bleeding Gums the first time, and with Mr. Bergstrom. But here the Lisa/family interaction is really an afterthought -- the little moment with Bart and the record is more a way of connecting the A and B stories than a real major moment in the story. Which means that the episode doesn't do much more than meander to the conclusion that as long as someone is remembered, they're never really gone -- which isn't exactly something we haven't heard before.

Another boring year

4/5 good episode
    scuse me if i write bad (the english kick my ass)

Marge: "Who's George Washington Carver?"
    Bart: "Um, the guy who chopped up George Washington?"
    Homer: "Really? Woooow...."

4/5

damn blinking keyboard
    Last edited by Semaj; 08-18-2005 at 07:18 PM. Reason: delete multiple message

One of the most underrated episodes of the show. 5/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Gonna mostly agree with Veryjammy again. I really hated the "death" gag. It was actually funny when Grampa did it with Maggy, but he did it at least four times and it became embarrassing (my family was watching, sigh). It did feel like a Jean episode. Anyway, that Jazzman song was great, so it's not all bad.

C
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

jennifer

/
    Last edited by jennifer; 08-01-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Mad without power

The third act gets a little too wacky and unrealistic, but everything up to that point is fantastic. Plus, it has one of my favorite CBG moments.
    "Oh, he is dead? Then why did you not say so?" *slashes out $250 and writes $500*

4/5
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy View Post
    I agree, I don't think the episode is lacking in gags. The problem is that half of them really bomb, I think this has the highest miss/hit ratio of the golden era. Add in a story which never really engages emotionally and it's a very weak golden-era episode

C+
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen_texas View Post
    It's a good idea for an episode, but very little of it feels like "A" material. It's very much a taste thing, of course, whether a joke works or not, but I think a surprising number of jokes either don't work or feel recycled from earlier things they'd done (or, as in the case of "Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys," used to be funny but no longer is, because it's been politicized and turned from jokey France-bashing into real, nasty France-bashing).

I think a fundamental problem with the story is that Lisa spends most of the story making a connection with, well, nobody, because Bleeding Gums is dead and she doesn't interact much with her family. The old idea was that she'd meet a guy who she could connect with more than her family, but ultimately it would lead her to connect more with her family; that's what happened with Bleeding Gums the first time, and with Mr. Bergstrom. But here the Lisa/family interaction is really an afterthought -- the little moment with Bart and the record is more a way of connecting the A and B stories than a real major moment in the story. Which means that the episode doesn't do much more than meander to the conclusion that as long as someone is remembered, they're never really gone -- which isn't exactly something we haven't heard before.
    I agree with both of these comments on this episode. Bart buying the album for his sister was more touching and more convincing than anything involving Bleeding Gums Murphy.

This is one of the lesser episodes of the phenominal season 6; along with Another Simpsons Clipshow, Grandpa vs. Sexual Inadequacy, Fear of Flying, and Bart's Comet.

a good episode for me, with some really funny gags, like the one with Bill Cosby or the scene from Lion King, also the song Jazzman was great imo.

B

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Blog Entries

I think it does the best job balancing humor and emotion of just about any episode in the entire series. It's got some really great gags--the hotdog guy, cheese-eating surrender monkeys, and "we'll just go to the pound and get a new jazzman" are all classic jokes

5/5, A
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Junior Camper

Dr. Cheeks is a little behind on his rounds lol

3.5/5

Junior Camper

I liked the James Earl Jones joke at the end, with Mufasa, Darth Vader and CNN lol.

Simmer Down There, Sparky Skylark Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries

5/5. I found it to be very emotional near the end when he died, and Lisa and him play the saxophone one last time. I love that song! And the hot dog vendor and Marge:

"What, do you follow my husband everywhere?"
    "Lady, he's putting my kids through college!"

I'm not a huge fan. Grandpa's 'death!' scene was one of the most cringeworthy moments of the entire series, and that's including the Jean and Scully eras. I like the Bleeding Gums stuff but the end was simply too much.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Guy Haines

Simmer Down There, Sparky Skylark Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    I'm not a huge fan. Grandpa's 'death!' scene was one of the most cringeworthy moments of the entire series, and that's including the Jean and Scully eras. I like the Bleeding Gums stuff but the end was simply too much.
    oh yeah Grampa screaming death. I thought it was sorta funny when he did it looking at Maggie {i always took that a somewhat kind of foreshadowing for when she shot Mr Burns}

Blog Entries

i used to be a big fan of it but it's not really one of my big favorites now. not many scenes were really funny (but there were some nice scenes, i'll give it that) and there were actually some stuff that i'd pose as questionable also (i'll have to watch the episode again if i were to really list it). however, i did find the ending kind of touching (albeit bit schmaltzy) and it's one of the most memorable moments of the simpsons to me, the ending jazzman scene. i liked yeardley smith's performance in the episode btw my grade on it right now would be about B+
    calmer than you are

Probably the worst Season 6 episode. C

Better than I used to think. I actually quite like this episode. Would fit in well in a season like 2 IMO. 4/5

4 of 5 "doctors" recommend bartyboy's Avatar

5/5. Very emotional. I somehow liked Grandpa"s deaths part. RIP BGM

Grampa's death scene was the best, 5/5, very underated.
    "The kids these days, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that sound dirty, like Muckluck!"

- Krusty The Klown

I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

BUMP

Spurred on by the favorable discussion of this episode in the favoreite call-back joke thread, I thought it'd be worth bringing this one up again.

This has been my all-time favorite Simpsons episode for a long while. I don't think the show has ever really struck as perfect a balance of humor and emotion as they did in this episode. It requires a masterful touch to take on a story as delicate as one involving an eight year-old confronting death for the first time, especially in a comedy show, and not go awry, but the writers managed to get this one just right. Bringing back a character who had served as on outlet for Lisa's feelings of sadness previously, only to have that character be the cause for more sadness later created some interesting symmetry. Beyond that, I'm not a big fan of Lisa-centric episodes generally, but here they had her facing a very real situation and reacting in a very true-to-life manner in the face of her loss that gave the episode a great deal of depth.

And despite all of that heaviness, it still manages to be an absolutely hilarious episode. The Bill Cosby parody cracks me up every time. Krusty's percodan addiction. "We'll just go down to the pound and get a new jazz man." Miss No-Means-No. Homer's rendition of Mary Had A Little Lamb. Dr. Hibbert as BGM's oblivious long lost brother. "With a flute up his nose, Ralph Wiggum." The coda to the "DEEEEEEEEAAAATTTHHHH" scene. The James Earl Jones parody. Steve Allen. "Starland Vocal Band? They suck!" The hits just keep coming, and I've barely even touched on Lionel Hutz's contributions to the episode. You could be completely numb to the emotional part of it and still love this episode just from all the great jokes. As biffwestwood noted, there's a number of callback jokes in the episode, with a great example being Lumpy the school snake's mini-adventure. Just a great deal of well-crafted comedy.

That's part of what really surprised me from reading through the earlier posts in this thread. I could see people not loving it as much as I do, but I was taken aback to see so many starkly negative reviews of the episode. As with any joke, your mileage may vary, but wow, worst of the season? Hard for me to imagine.

Anyway, the thrust of my point is simply this - I love this episode because it manages to make the most of a down-to-earth, difficult issue and still keep you laughing the whole way through. What do you guys think?
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Thread Information