Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Lisa on Ice

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Let me end the argument right here.

OPINIONS.

Blog Entries

^That wasn't an argument, it was healthy discussion.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    And I believe that's where I and the majority of the boards (I presume) have to agree to disagree. I found Homer's behaviour slightly out of line, others didn't. I respect your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

Once again, I enjoy the episode, but I would enjoy it more if Homer's behaviour was toned down.
    See.. you're respectful.. so I value your opinion.. even though it's different than mine.

I do understand, sometimes bad characterization to serve the story really makes me hate an episode overall.

But here I accept it more easily... b/c the episode has serious humor and serious heart and thus has always been a 'classic' in my house.

I never thought of it here before in this epiosde, but yeah.. I can see why Homer's behavior upsets people. When you look back on his character, and how he really was the lovable oaf whom evolved into the jerk were all suspose to forgive.. b/c he 'was' an lovable oaf almost twenty years ago.

You can really see the seeds of what people call "Jerk-Ass Homer" being sown here.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post

OPINIONS.
    Yeah dude, were just writing about it... sorry you can't handle that we're not screaming at eachother like some people on here do.

Anyway Riviera.. please continue.

Blog Entries

I think another big difference between this episode and episodes like When Flanders Failed, where Homer also arguably behaves like a "jerkass", is that Homer realized the error of his ways in the latter. I don't think that Homer really learned a lesson at the end of Lisa on Ice. This is why WFF doesn't bother me in the slightest, even though Homer's behaviour could be argued to be worse than in this episode.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good point, I hadn't thought of that comparison.. I guess they felt no need to give him a lesson since the episode belongs to Bart and Lisa... but maybe he got beat up at the end off camera.. lol.

I mean I think the ending was pretty clear, everyone is insane in this episode except Bart and Lisa and that's why a riot breaks out to show how insanely people dive into sports and competition in general.

I guess they were probably trying to make this epiosde crude and Homer extra lewd so the ending would be more sweet.

Most people didn't notice.. but you did, and your probably right.. it could have at least shown Homer getting some comeuppance or some type of lesson in the end.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post

OPINIONS.
    Sure people can reply with silly things like the above.. and state the obvious.. but this is why we debate this stuff.

Riviera is totally swaying me here, I really never thought about it... but now I wanna see Homer get some type of comeuppance in this episode.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

Blog Entries

Well, I wouldn't send an angry mob after him just because he berated his kids... :P But I do wish Homer at least came to even a small realization that the things he said were out of line.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's too late Riviera.. now I want that episode to end with Homer being taken away by ambulance whilst Lisa and Bart skate lovingly together.

It would make the episode better b/c any lesson he learned previously in the classic era was wiped away by the last ten seasons anyway.

Blog Entries

And my plan slowly comes together.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    And my plan slowly comes together.
    One down.. seven million to go.

Seriously you have swayed me, but just like you.. I'll still enjoy this one even though Homer is a jerk here.

1 good post in every 5 The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was one of the first episodes I saw. It started a love affair that lasts to this day (if you discount most of the stories after Season 16)
    Come check out The Simpsons Hurt and Heal Tournament II - Season 14

4 = 6 > 3 > 5 > 2 = 7 > 8 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 14 > 15 > 11 > 12 > 13 > 16 > 18 > 17 and who gives a fuck after that

Banned

Fantastic episode, Homer was especially terrific in this. No idea why that coward Riviera liked this post when he doesn' think Homer was terrific in the episode, strange man. And now his loyal boyfriend - The disgusting and betraying Handsome B Wonderful - has liked it too, happy days!
    Last edited by Unckie Herb; 03-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Homer should've punched Maggie in the face at the end for no reason and got thrown in jail!

What.. I just wanted to shake this thread up... it's so dull, lolz, yeah right.

Everyone's an artist. Hot Chocolate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great episode! Siblings can be rivals, but they always love each other. Though Homer was a bit hard on both Bart and Lisa (same with all the audience), It's the part that makes me laugh. Because in reality, that would probably be the crowd's reaction. I give it a 5/5. A+. It's almost "unpossible" for someone to hate this episode.

prejudiced against all races zach's Avatar

...and if you lose, i'll kill ya!

flawless. A+++

Blog Entries

Revisiting Season 6 at the mo and this has been one of the standout episodes so far. 5/5

one of my all time fav episodes! 5/5

and the "if you lose, i'll kill you" joke is probably the single greatest simpsons joke, laugh at that every time i see it

4/5

This is a great classic episode, but I've always felt is was lacking something. Just a little something. Not perfect, but close.

Blog Entries

Excellent A+
    Siblings+Rivalry=Hug

Now figure that out you algebra geniusses...,

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

I don't care about its flaws, I love this episode.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A good episode. 4/5

This episode is amazing! I couldn't stop laughing and that was one of the most heartfelt Simpsons episode endings ever. 5/5

This is an instant classic and gets a solid five out of five. Had a perfect balance of motion and drama as well as the ever are longing comedy touch that is required in all episode. And of course it had one of the most famous Ralph quotes, probably the second most. Oh, and I almost forgot, the equal best ending (with Bart vs. Thanksgiving) to an episode ever. 5/5
    Last edited by bomberswarm2; 03-14-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Amazing episode. Love the end.

4.5/5 or 9/10

Homer's unsavoury behaviour in this episode is actually pretty good social commentary on how bad sports obsessed parents can act.

In my country, nutty fathers have been sent to jail and/or convicted for bad behaviour at junior football games.

Homer's win at all costs attitudes is hardly new though to the series, its been there since Dead Putting Society. Its actually good characterization in keeping with continuity.

Poor Hans suffers misfortune again in this episose sadly

5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Les_Wynan View Post
    Homer's unsavoury behaviour in this episode is actually pretty good social commentary on how bad sports obsessed parents can act.

In my country, nutty fathers have been sent to jail and/or convicted for bad behaviour at junior football games.
    indeed. indeed. but some of his behaviour is a little erratic, like his hitting uter with a wet towel. i'm not criticising the episode though. i love it! like you say, it's fairly accurate too. i know a hockey dad. he goes to the games with his kid, tapes the games and yells at them only to come home, watch them again and yell at them again, all the while making the kid sit there and listen to his foot thumping, loud and outrageous suggestions for how to be a better hockey player. when the dad yells "YOU SHOULDA HIT THE PUCK EVEN THOUGH HE WAS THERE! SO WHAT IF HE GETS HURT?!" the kid sits there timidly and just says "we all tried really hard dad"

homer simpson is a puppy dog compared to some of these sports dads.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Horrible episode. As everyone knows, Homer's extremely obnoxious here - I actually find him more unbearable here than in the Scully era as a showrunner. It isn't even his soccer dad stuff, either - what the hell was that thing with the pie? Time-waster. Oh, and the main plot was trite and predictable. I'm not keen at all on Bart and Lisa being all lovey-dovey - especially since it comes out of nowhere just to wrap up an episode and after that they're back to their normal selves. 1/5
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    what the hell was that thing with the pie?
    It's called a 'joke', are you familiar with the term or would you like me to define it for you?

^haha, i was going to say the exact same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    Horrible episode. As everyone knows, Homer's extremely obnoxious here - I actually find him more unbearable here than in the Scully era as a showrunner. It isn't even his soccer dad stuff, either - what the hell was that thing with the pie? Time-waster. Oh, and the main plot was trite and predictable. I'm not keen at all on Bart and Lisa being all lovey-dovey - especially since it comes out of nowhere just to wrap up an episode and after that they're back to their normal selves. 1/5
    questions:

in what way, aside from the pie and soccer dad bits, is homer obnoxious?
    what would have been a less trite and predictable way of tackling the sports dad subject
    what would a better ending have been?

your criticisms are fine (the pie joke thing aside) but i think i'd be more convinced if you gave alternative scenarios.

Thread Information