• 2/5

2 0.90%
  • 1/5

3 1.36%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Lisa on Ice

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    (Sorry for double posting; I'm not sure how to quote different people in one post. EDIT: Oh wait, I just figured it out!)

I would end it by Lisa blocking the shot, but after the game, realizing that the competition is tearing the family apart, quits hockey and she and Bart get along again.
    I 100% Agree with this.Had this episode been made in the Classic Era that would of probably been the ending!

Banned

It was made in the Classic Era...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    yet you rate Saddlesore Galactica 5/5...

You seriously need to get over the fact that he rated an episode 5/5. Every single time you question one of his ratings, you bring that shit up. Every. Damn. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouComeAgain View Post
    Whaaaaaaaaaaa? I thought Homer was quite hilarious in this episode actually.Mean but damn funny.He didnt really portray the Dad Part in this ep but damn funny.
    I didn't find it funny at all, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Favourite/least favourite by seasons that I own (somewhat stolen from Financial Panther):

3 - Dog of Death/When Flanders Failed 4 - Lisa's First Word/So it's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5 - Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart's Inner Child 6 - And Maggie Makes Three/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7 - Marge Be Not Proud/Bart the Fink 8 - Homer's Phobia/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9 - King of the Hill/Trash of the Titans 10 - Wild Barts Can't Be Broken/Maximum Homerdrive

Banned

You just brought it up for no reason at all now Riviera so that's ironic.

Blog Entries

You just brought it up for no reason at all now Riviera so that's ironic.
    I brought it up because it's starting to piss me off.

Banned

Still brought it up out of nowhere and aren't you one that said "If you have something to say to someone, that has nothing to do with the thread, send them a PM because it'll ruin the point of the thread itself"?

Ironic twice in one night, in the same thread, wow that's interesting.

It was made in the Classic Era...
    It was Written by Mike Scully....................Nuff Said !

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    I didn't find it funny at all, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Haha Fair Enough It was Mike Scully who wrote this episode after all !

Banned

He did? Much respect Mr Scully.

He did? Much respect Mr Scully.
    Yeah I think he was a fine writer.I just have fun making fun of him cuz he did almost ruin the show when he was a showrunner !
    And this is WHY I always am confused and think Lisa on Ice was on Season 11 or 12 !

Blog Entries

I definitely see Scully in Homer's characterization here.

Banned

Love this, I say 5

It's been a while since I've seen this episode, but Jerkass homer doesn't bother me here. It's fine to have homer act this way for the odd episode, it just shouldn't be the only characterisation of him. What really does irritate me here is the sappy ending. The montage was too much, if you do away with that then it's an inevitable if disappointingly sitcom-y ending. What annoys me here is that Bart and Lisa don't act as children at the end, despite the episode previously doing a pretty good job of showing them acting like children, coupled with a rather exaggerated but basically believable family dynamic.

I have few complaints with the rest of the episode really. I'm not wild about the "hidden talent" prop device but Lisa having good reflexes isn't horribly implausible, I suppose. The humour's at the usual classic Simpsons standard, so 3/5 with the ending costing it a point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christmas_ape View Post
    It's been a while since I've seen this episode, but Jerkass homer doesn't bother me here. It's fine to have homer act this way for the odd episode, it just shouldn't be the only characterisation of him.
    I feel that if this was aired in the Scully era, everybody would be up in arms about Jerkass Homer.

Banned

Homer good here, no jerk!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unckie Herb View Post
    Homer good here, no jerk!
    I feel like a lot of the things that he says are borderline jerkass. Like him calling his kids "losers" at the end.

yeah Homer is kind of annoying in this one. In fact I think he's more annoying here than in "Homer's Enemy". Rewarding his kids based on their sports performances is really scullyish. There are loads of plus points, the ending is probably one of my favourites, alongside "Mother Simpson" and "Bart of Darkness". Maybe one other complaint I have is Lisa turning into some kind of jock becuase she is a good hockey keeper, which sort of bugs me as I thought Lisa had a bit more integrity than that, but hey its just a cartoon.

I think its probably one of the weaker season 6 episodes but still worth a 4/5

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ice hockey-animation was great though and a lot of love for this episode is linked to the heartfelt ending.

Blog Entries

I'd like to reinforce that I don't hate this episode, in fact, I like it. My opinion of it would just be higher if it wasn't for Homer's behaviour.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Loved the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    I feel like a lot of the things that he says are borderline jerkass. Like him calling his kids "losers" at the end.
    I didn't have a problem with this, but guess who wrote the episode where he called them "damn wiener kids"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bartist View Post
    I didn't have a problem with this, but guess who wrote the episode where he called them "damn wiener kids"?
    For some reason, this didn't bother me at all. I guess I'm just bizarre.

Banned

Yup.

Indeed.

Banned

Quite.

Blog Entries

Indubitably.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Indeed so... most indeededly.

Blog Entries

Anyway, I have an actual answer for those who are interested:

In Team Homer, that line was just throwaway. Homer does not insult his children throughout the whole episode. In Lisa on Ice, he behaves the same way throughout the entire episode, and I find it tiresome after awhile.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Homer's abuse serves the story very well within this episode, never once did I feel he was being truly evil to his kids, he's just an extra lewd dumbass here.. to better serve the script.

Also maybe it was a commentary on when good parents go bad b/c of having to choose one child over the other over something parents get obsessive over, with sports being the big one.

Scully was also heavily involved in "Bart Star" which again.. that episode is a commentary on parents going nuts over trying to live through their kids.. through sports.

It's one of the great one's in my book for sure.

Mike Scully and Al Jean might suck as showrunners but they both have written some killer eps.

Blog Entries

And I believe that's where I and the majority of the boards (I presume) have to agree to disagree. I found Homer's behaviour slightly out of line, others didn't. I respect your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

Once again, I enjoy the episode, but I would enjoy it more if Homer's behaviour was toned down.

Thread Information