• 2/5: Forgettable as "Attack of the Clones"

8 5.16%
  • 1/5: Worse than "The Star Wars Holiday Special"

1 0.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Mayored to the Mob

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R: Mayored to the Mob

A-: One of the lone bright spots in Season 10. Mark Hammil gave a great guest performance, and everyone seemed in character.

a fervent propulsion Tinselled Jim's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was a good plot; but it didn't really seem that funny to me. B-
    couldn't trust her with cheese, let alone with your keys

Morman Standard Time Ihaveblink's Avatar

Great episode. B+

Horribly overrated episode. As with most of the Scully era, I hate Homer's behaviour. 2/5
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Stonecutter

You say this everytime and say you say you can't really remember it but can remember when Homer puts his family to sleep. That aside Homer is in great character, the plots fun and the humour is excellent. Very underrated. A-.

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

3/5 Forgetful, wacky and in some parts not really funny.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

I love it.

a good episode,very funny and entertaining with very few flaws B+

I loved it the first time i saw it, though i have seen it about twenty times on my Bart Wars VHS tape so if i had to grade it today it was probably get a respectable B-

Homer: "WOO-HOO!!!"
    Marge: "But Homer, you don't know what will happen!"
    Homer: "I said 'woo-hoo'."

3/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Just watched it. What was extremely distracting was the horrible animation! I'm not sure what went wrong there, but all the movements were rigid, there were glitches, and there were even a few examples of off-model! That really got on my nerves.

Otherwise, I liked the first act. The sci-fi convention was pretty funny, but I couldn't help but think of how much better it would've been handled in the classic years. It was good to see a guest star that had to be a good sport, instead of "Hey look! It's JK Rowling, famous author of the Harry Potter books!"

The 2nd and 3rd acts were mostly lame, save a few parts (namely Mark Hammil wondering why Luke Skywalker would be in Guys and Dolls, and "I had a strooooke!"). The rat milk was gross, and Homer was a giant jerkass with using the sleeper hold a few too many times and giving Milhouse the rat milk. Then suddenly Homer is concerned about the kids drinking rat milk after watching Quimby accept bribes several times. Doesn't make sense. Overall, just another lame "Homer gets a job" Scully episode!

D
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

El Duderinho

I like this one, one of the better of season 10. B

Purple Is A Fruit.

5/5

One of the best of Season 10.

One of season 10's best episodes. 5/5

One of the best episodes of season ten. 4/5

4/5 Good fun, like most of season 10.

Mayored to the Mob is actually a very good episode with no substantial flaws to speak off. For starters, there is the storytelling, which seems to have a fair amount of cohesion this time around. Mark Hamill also makes a great guest appearance and the gags are always up to scratch (the geek fights, the sleeper hold and the "use the forks" line). Inspired stuff and a great antidote to the dross that came before it. The characters are all up to scratch as well; they obviously worked a fair bit on Homer. The only thing that I feel wasn't required was the 'Bodyguard' song at the end. But other than that, it is perfect. This is the kind of episode that almost takes me back to the good ol' days of 1990-1996. A

I quite liked this one. Like someone mentioned above, yes, the animation was pretty terrible. It was done by Anivision, and I suppose after the producers saw how it all turned out, they stopped working with them, and went with just Akom and Rough Draft from then on (basically, what I'm saying, this was the last episode animated by Anivision).
    Apart from that, the story was pretty good, but I felt the scenes at the end with Mark Hamill was a bit 'corny' (the songs, etc).

B+
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Yeah it's one of the best of Season 10. Faint praise indeed. The horrible animation has already been mentioned so I'll just say it's another completely formulaic Scully 'Homer gets a job' episode, complete with someone trying to kill him at the end, bouts of irritating Homer behaviour, stupid plotpoints and a fair share of lousy jokes. I used to think this one was ok but I watched it last night and I found it really quite poor.

C-

I liked this episode a lot. It was great to see a secondary who rarely gets to get out of the background take some spotlight (Quimby), and the way Homer handled his new job was surprisingly sensible. Even when he went a bit overboard it didn't feel so out of place.

A bit of jerkass Homer was in this, but he was in check...and it went kind of well with his new job which obviously went to his head. Mark Hamill is a hilarious voice actor (I'd expect no less from the only voice I can picture the Joker speaking in now.) and how he handled himself in this was one of the better guest star appearances I can think of.

I felt kind of bad for Quimby after this episode. Before he was just your typical annoying corrupt politician(but still a very fun character), but after this episode he got steadilly more and more pity-worthy for me. I mean...the poor guy is stuck in so many different ways. It was a pretty cool way to give dimension to the character a little I think.

Homer becoming a successful bodyguard, acting like the main character of an action movie rather than himself, kicking the ass of everyone, being aggressive, fighting the mob and blackjacking Major Quimby is not what I like (and I'm used) to see from Homer character at all.
    Even if he may have been excited for his new job, the sleeping hold used with Bart, Marge, Lisa (2 times) for no reason (at least), asking Bart to start the car fearing it was mined, made Homer's characterization horrible. The connection between politics and the mob was cliched and the rat milk idea was disgusting. The story wasn't even much interesting.
    The only thing that worked was all the Star Wars stuff and some gags here and there.
    Definitely below average 2/5 (D+/C-).
    Avoid to be a know-it-all, especially when talking about sex.

I must say I am truly surprised at the bad reviews this episode seems to be getting. Previously I have always seen this one hailed as one of the best episodes of s10 and one of the few "Homer gets a job" plots which actually work.

Yes, Homer has his usual shticks which were so predominantly used during seasons 10-12 : putting sleeper holds on family members along with other jerkass and captain wacky behaviour. But unlike so many episodes during these 3 seasons, the Homer in this episode has a sense of right and wrong. he knows when things have gone too far and he tries his best to be a good bodyguard and protect the children from rat milk. What I like about Homer in this episode is he actually has some integrity which is a refreshing break from the obnoxious greedy whiny coward in so many s10-12 episodes. And the fact that Homer doesn't care if Milhouse drinks the rat milk is truly hilarious, even if slightly mean-spirited. Mayor Quimby and Fat Tony has some decent moments. Mark Hamill is one of the best self-played guest stars of the Scully Era with his lines never coming off as self-gratifying compared to other self-played guest stars. The Comic-Con at the beginning has some good nerdy esoteric humour and there are some inspired gags later as well : including the "use the forks" line.

No very good, not very bad either. Middling episode. B-
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

One of season 10s finest, I loved how they finally gave a decent role to Quimby and Hamil did a great job as himself, I also think it's funny that Wiggum licked the rats before saying "It's pure"
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel
    One of season 10s finest, I loved how they finally gave a decent role to Quimby and Hamil did a great job as himself, I also think it's funny that Wiggum licked the rats before saying "It's pure"
    I think its well established that Wiggum isn't a particularly picky man when it comes to what he puts in his mouth.

And besides, how else would he find out whether that rat was pure or not? Those things can be dastardly!

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

It's a Homer-Gets-a-Job-Episode, but more along the lines of Homer the Vigilante and Homie the Clown than the usual Scully Homer-Gets-A-Job formula. The typical season 10 formula had Homer randomly getting a job, totally missing the point of it, does something really stupid or mean, tries to correct it by doing something even more stupid and mean, and then gets his well-deserved violent comeuppance, even though we're supposed to be rooting for him. None of that applies to this episode, other than Homer becocming a bodyguard on a whim and the sleeper hold gag. The episode had an endearingly well-meaning but clueless Homer characterization, social commentary, some depth to Quimby as Kiyosuki mentioned, decent plot where you're rooting for Homer, sci-fi references, action movie sendups, and one of the funniest guest appearances ever. B+

Saxomaphone!

It gets a 2/5, or D+ from me. I first saw the episode on the Bart Wars DVD and didn't know which season it was from. I told my friend sitting next to me that "I won't be buying the DVD of whichever season this one's in", mostly because of the lame jokes. Later, I rewatched it within context of S10 and it was a little better, but not by much. There's nothing here that especially strikes me as witty and the jabs at Star Wars are too weak to make me laugh. The subplot with Mark Hamill clashed with the mafia/bodyguard story and turned the entire thing into a mess. But it wasn't as offensive as the bulk of S10's other episodes and had a few bright spots to redeem it from a failing grade (mostly involving Mayor Quimby).

By the way, I like the Star Wars ratings.
    Homer's Brain: "Oh glory of glories. Oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty that is God's creation."
    Homer: "Holy macaroni!"
    My DVD Collection
    TOP 25:
    1. Homer the Heretic
    2. Marge vs. the Monorail
    3. Last Exit to Springfield
    4. Treehouse of Horror V
    5. Cape Feare
    6. Home-Sweet-Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily
    7. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
    8. Lisa’s First Word
    9. Simpson and Delilah
    10. Lisa’s Sax
    11. $pringfield
    12. 22 Short Films About Springfield
    13. Mr. Plow
    14. Mother Simpson
    15. I Love Lisa
    16. El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer
    17. Bart of Darkness
    18. A Streetcar Named Marge
    19. You Only Move Twice
    20. Treehouse of Horror VI
    21. Homer’s Enemy
    22. Rosebud
    23. Krusty Gets Kancelled
    24. Bart the Lover
    25. A Fish Called Selma

Maybe it's time to live.... Cerpin Taxt's Avatar

Who the hell had the bright idea to compare The Simpsons with Star Wars? I love this episode, but I wouldn't put it above The Empire Strikes Back because they're different.

Oh well, it's a 4/5. I actually bought Bart Wars at Sam's Club for like $8.99 just for this episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    I refuse to vote on the basis that apparently Nickelodeons viewers have the worst taste in films ever.

Banned

My Favourite Episode Of Season 10,

5/5

back in black

Typical Season 10-style plot, but quite funny throughout. Solid episode by Season 10 standards, I'd say it ranks about the same as Episode I: The Phantom Menace (3/5, though in my opinion this was a very good movie that was overshadowed by three classics, while I found "Revenge of the Sith" relatively predictable and personally would reverse their positions on the poll).
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimes Sr.
    A-: One of the lone bright spots in Season 10. Mark Hammil gave a great guest performance, and everyone seemed in character.
    I agree and will add that it was a funny episode
    Summer of the 4FT.2 is the best episode ever

Thread Information