View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5

8 7.02%
  • 2/5

37 32.46%
  • 3/5

30 26.32%
  • 4/5

27 23.68%
  • 5/5

12 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Little Big Mom

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R: Little Big Mom

Just rewatched this last night, and I've never realized quite how bad the ending is. The episode is okay until the third act, but the leprosy thing killed it. 2/5

Good until we got to Hawaii, which was only a few minutes of the episode. 3/5
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

El Duderinho

Quite a poor episode 2/5

Horrible. Uninspired plot, wandering conflicts, unveliable Lisa & Homer characterisation and very, very, very, very unfunny.

GRADE: D/D-
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Pin Pal

Oh, I'm too lazy to do my normal thing I do here.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Only the ending lets it down. The th-wacking/skiing bit was off-putting, but it had its funny side; Homer was hit 13 times. Talk about unlucky.

5/5. And I probably still stand as this episodes no1 fan (or possibly no2, I don't know).
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

Another boring year

4/5 very funny
    scuse me if i write bad (the english kick my ass)

Purple Is A Fruit.

5/5

Soooo Underated! Very good episode, very funny and the joint best of its season. The skiing scenes were great, as was most of the episode. Pure class!

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

2/5

That whole lepracy thing was terrible, and the entire episode wasn't funny, and just plain stupid. No good at all.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

4/5

This episode was too funny, even with the mismatch characteristics. I keep thinking of Homer's skiing incident.

Flanders: "It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all! Nothing at all! NOTHING AT ALL!"
    Homer: "Aah! Stupid Sexy Flanders!"

Some nut at IMDb is currently driving himself mad obsessing with how much he HATED that joke. :laugh:

Shiny Happy Fits Of Rage Whip-Smart's Avatar

I love all the Skiing stuff and Lisa's struggle to get the chores done but it is ruined by a dumb ending. Still funny but not a stand out. C
    Last edited by Whip-Smart; 10-11-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    1: B+ 2: A 3: A 4: A+ 5: A+ 6: A+ 7: A+ 8: A 9: A- 10: C+ 11: B- 12: B 13: B 14: C- 15: D 16: D- 17: D+ 18: C 19: C+ 20: B-
    Homer the Whopper: D / Bart Gets a "Z": C / The Great Wife Hope: C- / Treehouse of Horror XX: B The Devil Wears Nada: D- / Pranks and Greens: C+ / Rednecks and Broomsticks: C+ / Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B-/ Thursdays with Abie: C / Once Upon a Time in Springfield: D / Million Dollar Maybe: D / Boy Meets Curl: D+ / The Color Yellow: D / Postcards from the Wedge: C / Stealing First Base: D / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: C / American History X-cellent: C / Chief of Hearts: C+ / The Squirt and the Whale: D / Surveil With Love C-

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

3/5, the only really memorable or great part was "Stupid sexy Flanders."

Blog Entries

I agree with Semaj on this episode (if he hadn't changed his mind about it after 3 years). The episode was really really funny and... humor was just the biggest part of the episode. ("Marco" - "Polo"!) The plot does seem wacky, but I don't think it's as bad as other episodes shown in the season and it felt more tolerant and blended into the story nicely. Ending with Bart and Homer admitting all about it was a letdown though.... other than that, the episode itself is one of my favorites of Scully era. B+/A-
    calmer than you are

Decent first act, mediocre second act, beyond repulsive third act.

I've actually only seen this episode once, but that's how I remember it. And really, I'm in no mood to watch it again soon, even with S11 out on DVD.

2/5
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Not a terrible episode but below average. The gags were alright and I did feel sorry for Lisa and the ending wasn't too bad. 2.5/5

little bit difficult to rate this episode
    I liked the first part with the skiing trip a lot and the gag with Flanders was hilarious.
    The second part with Lisa as replacement for Marge was ok, but not so funny.
    The end with leprosy was the weakest part imo

overall i think 2.5/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

One of my absolute favorites, full of great jokes and gags. A solid 5/5.

Blog Entries

Good, but the ending with the pain gags brought it down. 4/5

3/5, pretty solid until the leprosy stuff came in.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have never hated an episode of this show... EVER. Yet, this episode is dreadful for some reason. I give it a 2/5, because there are some jokes I laugh at, but overall, the third act makes me want to just end it

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Junior Camper

Painful episode to watch...literally. We've already seen what happens when Marge is absent from the house in "Marge in Chains" and to a lesser extent in "Bart After Dark" and both the above episodes conveyed the situation much more effectively than this episode did. And the wacky, outrageous, exaggerated twist in the story only made it worse and even more painful to watch. 2/5 at best

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Blog Entries

Ah, the first episode of The Simpsons to air in the year 2000! As fresh as the time was, this episode is as bland as hell. The characters are really unlikable and annoying, and some of the gags were pretty tasteless. I didn't mind the first act, but after that it goes pretty downhill with a reused premise, executed Scully style. If you put yourself in the twisted showrunner mind of Mike Scully, this episode can be pretty enjoyable, but it's difficult to come back from that. This is for sure one of the lesser quality episodes of season 11, and that's saying something. 2/5

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Some funny stuff in act one, ranging from the I&S, Homer's race to save the junk, and the various skiing stuff. Once act two starts things get shakier and trend toward more typical elements of the era. Kind of a draining story, but I don't think it was a bad premise. Marge being away in Homer Alone turned into an excellent episode. Homer and Bart's escapades was pretty middling zaniness and Lisa's ploy on them led to no good in the third act (though I did like when they next door to see Flanders). The Scully era certainly had worse IMO. Really intriguing how Homer's descent down the mountain works as a pretty accurate metaphor for the episode. 2/5 (D+)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    I have never hated an episode of this show... EVER. Yet, this episode is dreadful for some reason. I give it a 2/5, because there are some jokes I laugh at, but overall, the third act makes me want to just end it
    a more in depth review of my hatred:

Act 1:

We open with an Itchy and Scratchy short. Meh, not very funny.

goodwill?! no!!!!

homer gets the junk out of the car, and the simpsons then go skiing.

"Stupid Sexy Flanders"= how is that such a memorable/good line?

oh joy... homer pain. because as we all know {or should know}, Homer being in pain is ALWAYS hilarious

discu stu trying to get marge. somewhat funny i guess.

marge getting hurt by a clock is weird, i always figured from plot synopses' that she fell while skiing or something.

"I can't believe she went home with those guys"= Disco Stu should have only had one scene.

Act 2:

Marge in the hospital, Lisa promises to take over household.

This is when the real annoyances come into play. Homer and Bart are basically being as annoying as they can possibly be. If this was made in the classic era they'd be annoying, yes, but they would be toned down a whole lot.

"Leprosy?! UNCLEAN!"- weird for lisa to do, but the plot needed to be furthered.

Act 3:

Homer and Bart need to feel better.

marge comes home.

flanders tells what happened.

hawaii= more pain for homer {hilarious because of course pain always equals funny}

so basically, the main grief i had was bart and homer being annoying to lisa. some could argue they were being perfectly in character {though i question if they would say that because of WHOM they were being annoying to}, but IMO, they crossed the line with being average annoying to "Hurry up and end the episode" annoying.

I didn't mind it too be honest, although act 3 was really diverting and "wacky", it still gets a 2.5/5 from me, rounded to a 3 for the poll.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Not terrible. I enjoyed the first two acts to some degree, and the third, while weak, wasn't horrible along the lines of some episodes of the era. "Stupid sexy Flanders" is one of the funniest Scully-era scenes to me, and I like Homer's line about Lisa's grocery list: "You were way off." The idea of Lisa having to control Homer and Bart is a pretty good one, until the leprosy thing makes it sort of crumble.

And I always get the third act confused with Missionary Impossible. Is this the one with the women party island and the ox testicle and the pelican cement mixer?

3/5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

the original Sex Pistol

2.5/5, maily because the final act was... uh, shit.

There are some very funny bits in the episode but it's just so unrealistic of Marge to allow 8 year old Lisa to look after the family, stay home from school alone with Maggie etc.
    Now I know Lisa is gifted and all but it was very weird all the same but I guess at the same time in keeping with Marge's progressively selfish character.

Maybe it would make more sense if Lisa was like 12 and not 8.

I dunno it's a strange one.

Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. It's very funny (IMO). It gets wacky in the third act, but I think that it was a funny prank. The only thing I didn't like was the disturbing ending. 4/5

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 11 continues when Lisa tricks Bart and Homer into thinking they have leprosy! After the family ensures Marge fails to give away their old junk they decide to take a skiing trip. Marge is injured by a falling clock and must stay in the hospital. Lisa vows to take care of the house, but the boys refuse to help except in the most half-assed way possible which usually makes things worse. Lisa gets revenge via Lucy and leprosy. The family ends up in Hawaii.

This episode starts out alright and gradually devolves. Homer's "Stupid Sexy Flanders" pain run is funny and Homer and Bart watching Lucy on TV has the great "Ya hit her pretty hard there Rick." Unfortunately in order for the story to get to Lisa giving leprosy Homer and Bart have to appear pretty unlikable. I enjoyed some of the scenes with Homer in the second act like snitching on Bart, but hated others like his candy phone. I enjoyed Flanders in the third act, primarily the "imagination Christmas" but the story itself isn't really any good by that point. All the Hawaii stuff is weak as well.

A pretty forgettable episode with a poorly developed plot but a fair number of jokes that hit worthy of a 3/5. I did also enjoy the "use your brains to help us" line and Lisa's Burns imitation which ends act 2.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I remember hating this one and thinking it was the 2nd worst of the season. But it probably deserves a rewatch. 2/5 and D+
    ---

EDIT: Now that I've rewatched I can elaborate.

I kinda hate this episode because it doesn't do anything worthwhile. The twist of Lisa being the "mother" of the household has potential (even though there's no explanation of what she does education-wise), but doesn't achieve anything. The whole twist of Lisa being Marge ultimately just results in another wacky adventure that unlike some other Scully wackiness, isn't entertaining. It's almost as if the worst of Jean and Scully were combined to make this incredibly stupid episode that's also just remarkably dull. The lack of good jokes didn't help. I laughed once at Disco Stu, but apart from that - nothing.

Not only is the Lisa as Marge twist boring, but it also, like much of S11, just seems pointless in retrospect. Homer and Bart continue to be the increasingly more childish and immature men of the family, not even acknowledging how they put Lisa out. Marge just puts up with it like some brainless housewife.

I mean, the twist could have been used as a Lisa/Marge conflict, concluding with Lisa having more respect for Marge or whatever (a bit derivative of My Sister, My Sitter, but whatever). However the writers obviously thought Homer and Bart thinking they have leprosy and then going to Hawaii was a better conclusion.

Apart from the skiing intro, there's not much I enjoyed here, and the reason I don't really hate it is because of the fact that most of it was dull & stupid as opposed to "what the fuck is this" material.

D+ and a 4/10 remains my grade.
    Last edited by c l o n e; 04-18-2012 at 09:47 AM.

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Thread Information