51 28.33%

14 7.78%

4 2.22%

2 1.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R Bart gets an "F"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R Bart gets an "F"

Classic episode, with great characterisations (sp?).

The first time I ever cried at a Simpsons episode.

5/5

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^
    NNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

Eh good understandable emotional plot, but just not very funny B+

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I found it a bit thin for such an emotional episode. There were some good moments though, especially the long scene of what he was missing outside.

B-
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

A-

Not hugely funny but good solid plot and characterisations, some nice jokes and a tour de force of animation for the Winter Wonderland bit.

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    A-

Not hugely funny but good solid plot and characterisations, some nice jokes and a tour de force of animation for the Winter Wonderland bit.
    I'm behind Veryjammy's claim 100%. A good, solid episode in almost every way, if not a spectacular one. 4/5, or about A- in the letter grades.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I agree with Handsome Peter.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

This is definately a 5/5 and a total classic, if you don't like this episode then you hate The Simpsons, and also are into beastiality as well.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Jay

I estimate on 5/5

Site by Maksvolk aka Jay
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I'm just like Homer!
    I'm Homer, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Classic episode. A+

What Paul said.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I just watched it again, and I change my grade to B+/A-

I forgot about how witty the dialogue was at the time! Martin is portrayed brilliantly. But it still is a somewhat thin story, so it's not perfect.

Somebody Wake Up Hicks Terrier Williger's Avatar

Nice, solid, well written and acted episode, which puts across a lot of sympathy towards Bart - and a situation I'm sure many of us have been in at sometime or other.
    As someone has mentioned, the snow scene is brilliant.
    8+/10
    We live in a society of rules. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing! Did you?! Except at that guy who made sound effects. Brrruuummm!, zhoo-zhoo!, rrraaassspppp!, honk!, honk!, pkeeerrrrgghhh!, ahoo-hoo, he-he, hoo-hoo. Where was I? Oh yeah... Stay out of my booze!

My personal seasons' rankings : 4 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 9 > 1 > 16 > 15 > 18 > 17 > 14 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 11..19&20?..can't be arsed

The best episode of Season 2, and features Bart's strongest characterisation to date. A+

this episode has really an interesting perspective of bart and you don't see that often. Nice story and a few good gags.

B

the original Sex Pistol

A+

Banned

Easily the best episode of Season 2, and features possibly Bart's best, and most 3-dimensional characterisation in the show's history. A+

The end was very touching I felt. Bart seemed really out of character, but nonetheless, this was a great episode. 5/5

I feel this episode is a bit underrated, and its an episode that always brings a smile to my face. This was in a different league compared to the rest of Season 2. I think we were all pulling for him, and the added snow day was cool. 5/5

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

Great episode, one of the best of season 2. It focuses on Bart, and does a very, very, very good job at it. Finally, after a season of goofing off, the beginning of the second season shows what's under all the mischeviousness and underachievement. Bart is not some two-dimensional rude rebel, deep down, he has worries, fears, and feelings. ("Just say it! I'm dumb! Dumb as a post!") He does want to do well, he just can't make himself care enough. This episode characterizes him with a deep and realistic emotion and poignancy without undermining his poor performance and rebelliousness. This is a prime example of what made the Simpsons great: it deals with very real, ordinary problems in a real way. Not a "realistic" sitcom-y way, but in a skewed but much more relatable way. The very best part is when Bart; despite praying, missing the snowday, and studying so hard; still fails the test. The way he just looks at the paper, then finally bursts into tears--Bart Simpson, mind you...when I was a kid, it would bring me to tears every time I saw it. I'm sure that thousands of kids could relate to that much more strongly than a preachy "get what you work for" result. That being said, this episode was still hilarious. Martin turning cool, the whole snowland sequence, the discreet but stinging mockery of the public school system, the way Homer and Marge are so typically unable to understand that their son is more than just "a bit dim". One of my favorite gags ever is when, after Bart prays, a single snowflake comes down, a tinkle of angelic music rises up, and then a whole flurry of snow comes down to a resounding chorus of "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" I laughed halfway through the commercial break after that one.

I confess that I have always sympathized a lot with Bart: I have mild ADHD, and when I was young, I was always going nuts and getting bad grades. Even though I wanted to try to get good ones, I simply couldn't make myself do it. It seemed like no matter how much I studied, I always studied the wrong part. Now, even though I can focus and apply myself just fine, I can still remember perfectly well what it felt like, and how much this episode resonated with me when I was young. I would rank this as a kind of companion to "Lisa's Substitute", because of the relative earlyness of both those episodes. Anyway, a solid 5/5 from me, it's hard to believe something so well-rounded and strong came from season 2.
    "Attention Duelists!"

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

not the most interesting or funny episode, but it is quite good

Blog Entries

I find it slightly overrated, there were some great parts true (probably the best Homer thus far) and you could really care for Bart, but I must put myself in the minority and say that I really didn't care for the snow day montage, and found the whole Bart praying and the snow falling thing to be pretty cheap. As someone who procrastinates on just about everything, this episode definitely gives me a twinge of guilt, which I'm not always looking for (I don't hold that against it though). I'm not saying I hate the episode, but it's not really one of my favorites and I can't give it more than a low 12/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Junior Camper

This is actually an episode that has aged well for me -it wasn't one of my favorites when I first saw it (although I didn't dislike it either) but in retrospect it has all the qualities that I liked about the show in the clasic era -good characterization, solid and amusing humor and cynicism and a good plot. 5/5 from me

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Ive seen it so much I'm kind of sick of it.
    3/5.

One of season two's best. You can feel the conflict the character goes through in this episode as much as almost any other episode. 5/5

4/5

not particularly funny, good nonetheless

One of the episodes that is played heaps on syndication down under and therefore I am a bit sick of it due to its lightness on gags.

Still nothing really wrong with it though, a nice emotional episode

3/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

A good, deep potrayal of conflict, failure and laboring for the grand prize we are forced to suceed in, or otherwise a sprial of doom will encircle us.

Bart was very likeable in this episode, as he is always, but especially because of the attention and focus to his struggles in passing, e.g. guide Martin becoming lost in his little own self-discovery after Bart tries to do something for him in return.

A cleverly made episode, although I feel audiences at the time might not have sensed the deep potrayal in which the episode went into, as this episode is much different to any season 1 episode, that's for certain.

Overall, for it's courageousness and deep sense of meaning, I award it an A
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

3/5
    "The kids these days, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that sound dirty, like Muckluck!"

- Krusty The Klown

I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

A great episode in the more emotional sense and it has some great jokes too. 5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Drape 'er View Post
    Hey Goon, stop sending me PMs to have sex with you. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
    Titled: NoBoners Club: Lesbian Sex Adventures with Bella and Cinco. With Cameo by Goon O'Henchman.

Subtitle: It says Noboners we're allowed to have one.

My Last.fm

Thread Information