View Poll Results: Rate this episode

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 I wrote the book on flim flam!

19 12.58%
  • 4/5 Colgate Cavity Patrol!?

42 27.81%
  • 3/5 My bar mitzvah cake! Oy, I'll never be a man.

44 29.14%
  • 2/5 I guess you haven't heard of chloroform

23 15.23%
  • 1/5 Damn I hate you Butters.

23 15.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R/R The Great Money Caper

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

R/R The Great Money Caper

I actually give this a 5/5 despite the crappy ending, but I liked alot of this episode and some of the scams they pulled. What do you all think?

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Oh man. I try and be nice about episodes because people are calling me too negative, and then you make this thread. Sorry if I seem like a harsh bastard today but F

(Although I don't hate you Butters!)

EDIT: Christ I'm being bashed on this forum today. I better explain that to me, a C grade is a totally average episode. An A grade is excellent, a B grade is good. Therefore a D is below average and an F is poor/without merit. And from the plots to the jokes, this episode has no merit for me. Loads of people here give a C to an episode they don't like, I don't, a C means it was ok. So I'm harsh, but at least an A from me actually means something.
    Last edited by Veryjammy; 06-13-2005 at 04:24 PM.

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

Yeah, you are kind of a harsh bastard there, because alot of the jokes are funny, to fail it completely... hmmm... you are a bastard. Congrats.

This is one of the worst episodes ever. Horrible characterizations, abysmal plot, and the thinnest excuse for an ending ever. 1/5, but I would go a lot lower if I could
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Dr. Bartley

4/5! i liked the ending! it was so... un-expected! and it gets really good when Homer says "so everyone was in on it" and Groundskeeper Willie goes "Willie wasn't"

Stonecutter

C and a big MEH

This was one of the worst episodes of all time. Clarence, you can shut up. F

Living Through This

F, (I don't hate Butters, I hate Edward Norton)

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    Oh man. I try and be nice about episodes because people are calling me too negative, and then you make this thread. Sorry if I seem like a harsh bastard today but F

(Although I don't hate you Butters!)

EDIT: Christ I'm being bashed on this forum today. I better explain that to me, a C grade is a totally average episode. An A grade is excellent, a B grade is good. Therefore a D is below average and an F is poor/without merit. And from the plots to the jokes, this episode has no merit for me. Loads of people here give a C to an episode they don't like, I don't, a C means it was ok. So I'm harsh, but at least an A from me actually means something.

Ah see for me A, A+ = Excellent B+, A- is very good B is good C+, B- is decent, C-, C is bad but bearable D's are horrible episodes. and an F which I've never given would have to be completley without the slightest redeming feature whatsoever. This episode is still quite funny especially for its season in spite of all the flaws so it's a C/C+

I think for a lot of people here a C- would be a bad grade but to you that seems to be an almost acceptable which is probably why it seems you're being too harsh.

I did find it confusing at first, because to me I thought a C well that's good, but that's more a statment on my terrible academic achievment. This is based on american grading system so we don't do E's.

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence
    I actually give this a 5/5 despite the crappy ending
    How is the ending crappy? I have only thought of it as "unexpected", which fits in perfectly with the rest of the episode to me.

Otherwise I agree with Clarence's reasoning and grade.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Peter
    How is the ending crappy? I have only thought of it as "unexpected", which fits in perfectly with the rest of the episode to me.

Otherwise I agree with Clarence's reasoning and grade.
    I just watched this episode recently and was reminded how much I enjoyed it I am surprised that this episode gets such low grades. I agree that the ending is "unexpected," but don't agree that it's necessarily crappy, I actually found it to be quite funny and a sign of the show's own intelligence. The show has done bizarre endings quite a few times throughout the course of its run (e.g.- "who wears short shorts?"). It's quite normal for when the conflict of the story has been resolved for the show to end on a wacky note. There was a smooth and constant upping of the stakes with each grift act that makes me feel the entire episode was well-paced. There are also some great quotes and jokes in the episode (a lot of which have to do with Willie and Grampa).
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    I just watched this episode recently and was reminded how much I enjoyed it I am surprised that this episode gets such low grades. I agree that the ending is "unexpected," but don't agree that it's necessarily crappy, I actually found it to be quite funny and a sign of the show's own intelligence. The show has done bizarre endings quite a few times throughout the course of its run (e.g.- "who wears short shorts?"). It's quite normal for when the conflict of the story has been resolved for the show to end on a wacky note. There was a smooth and constant upping of the stakes with each grift act that makes me feel the entire episode was well-paced. There are also some great quotes and jokes in the episode (a lot of which have to do with Willie and Grampa).
    I pretty much agree with this. The ending would've been a problem if it had actually been unresolved, but everything was wrapped up in a "neat little package." The "Surf's up!" business was just a filler joke and meta-reference--nothing that ruins the episode.

As for the rest of the ep, I thought it was generally more entertaining than your average Scully outing, and most of the jokes were decent with no real cringe-worthy moments. I also liked the various grifts in the episode, and the recurring gag with the cake.

It's not a great one, but by all means, I've never seen the hate for it. Solid B for me.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

tuna that is ON FIRE!!!!!!!

In the simpsons series, this was one of hte more original episodes. I liked htat we got to see a lot of Grandpa. This is one of those episodes good for a rewatch. The steak that Bart buys made my mouth water.
    I wish I could give it a 4.5/5, so i gave it a 4/5.

Give me my sword,............ it's ownage time. - Confucius

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

3/5 The whole episode was disjointed. There wasn't enough humor also. And I hate those unexpected stuff at the end!

A guy can't help himself! Leela!'s Avatar

i wasn't expecting the ending to end like that... 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    This is one of the worst episodes ever. Horrible characterizations, abysmal plot, and the thinnest excuse for an ending ever. 1/5, but I would go a lot lower if I could
    I completely agree with this. Terrible Q-

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

3/5, very mediocre episode with a shitty ending, one of season 12's lamest
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

C- - The ending really does suck, but the rest of the episode is okay aside from Marge's stupid drinking subplot.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

I really can't recall much of this episode. I do remember it had a few nice jokes in it, but the horrific plot, ending and portrayal of Homer and Bart (particularly Homer) gives it a fairly low grade from me. With 5/10 being the median (obviously), I give this a 2/10.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Purple Monkey Dishwasher Where's Poochie?'s Avatar

1/5 Makes me want to barf down somebody's throat. (Sorry if that's a bit extreme)

P.S: Why would anyone hate Butters? Look at that face:

http://lescahiersduburger.free.fr/Ne...k-butters2.jpg

I really hated the last minute or so of this, really. What the hell was that? The main plot was amusing in places, and I actually liked how absurd everything got towards the end (except of course, for "surf's up"), but apart from that it was pretty average.

C+
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

4/5

Thats all i have to say about that.

You're deceptive

4/5

Delightfully silly.

4/5 could have been a 5/5 episode if it wasn't for that crazy ending but it's still a great episode IMO.
    Last edited by Imaginationland; 10-27-2007 at 11:32 AM.

the end was a little bit surprising for me, so that part worked. But overall i don't really like the story and it wasn't that funny imo. 2/5

3/5-Pretty mediocre episode.I actually don't mind the ending too much,but the episode just isn't that funny.

4/5, good episode
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Blog Entries

I actually really like it, other than the really stupid Marge drinking subplot which drags the episode down (and randomly disappears halfway through...).

The main plot, on the other hand, is fantastic and here's my take on the "Surf's Up!" ending--they didn't have to explain anything! Plenty of episodes have ended without explaining why the hell the whole town was involved in something (WHY THE FUCK WAS THE WEDDING IN MARGE'S BACKYARD???), so the writers had probably finished the episode and thought "Hmm...people might notice this...let's screw with them"

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but if that's the intent then "Surf's Up!" works for me, as does this episode, which gets a 4.5/5, A-
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Bovine University Graduate 3dsimpson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adamm R))) View Post
    I completely agree with this. Terrible Q-
    Don't you mean Z-?
    Add me on Steam - ultralex13

Going to try and be more active here, dagnamit!

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a so-so episode in my book. I hate how it begins (Marge drunk, the sturgeon) and how it finishes (another Scully-esque conspiracy and "Surf's Up!"). Anyway, the development had a forgettable, but not really bad stuff and that is what saves the episode for me. Homer and Bart cheating people made some good scenes and they were mostly pretty enjoyable.

My grade is 5.5/10. Maybe more than what it deserves, but I have never despised this episode and actually think it shouldn't fail.

Thread Information