View Poll Results: How do you rate this episode?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

37 28.46%
  • 4/5

53 40.77%
  • 3/5

25 19.23%
  • 2/5

11 8.46%
  • 1/5

4 3.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield

Scandalously I've been told by two people tonight I'm being too harsh in my reviews. So I thought I'd make a thread about an episode I love to prove them wrong

This is so underrated, it's a lovely exploration of Marge and the way she relates to her family and her social peers. Touching, filled with razor-sharp dialogue, and complemented by an enjoyable Homer/Burns subplot, this is one of my favourites from Season 7

A

Agreed. I've always seen this one as one of the more underrated "classic era" episodes, at least since coming to appreciate it more. Its pretty insightful and I love the character writing. Not sure why this one gets criticized all the time. A
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

Meh. I just plain don't like Marge that much, this episode didn't really appeal to me.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

3/5. Doesn't appeal to me that much, well, I only saw it once (it always seemed to be skipped out in BBC's S7 runs), but from what I remember it was pretty bland.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A-
    I enjoy this one, any criticisms other than Marge is boring type responses?
    Last edited by Postmaster; 09-13-2010 at 02:42 AM.

It's a good one. Not really memorable, but it has a good, well driven plot, a funny subplot and good humor (I love when Lisa's angry but she gets distracted by a horse twice).
    I give it a... 4/5. Although I think my grade could go up if I see it again. Maybe I will soon.

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

1/5
    I dont know why, but i hate this episode

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

It's not the best episode from season 7 but it has its moments. 3/5

Dr. Bartley

4/5 this episode was great! especially when Mr. Burns made Homer that cake, Lisa going aganist it then sees the horses

El Duderinho

I think its a good episode. Not a great, but good, 4/5

Purple Is A Fruit.

4/5

A decent episode, not as bad as it sometimes made out to be. Homers golfing subplot was actually better than the main plot of Marge - which was rather bland.

Underrated gem in season seven. A

Ah well, I guess I am forced to depart from the mainstream here...in my opinion, Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield is an ultimately pointless episode that left me feeling cold for the most part, although the ending was not too bad. I must say that this is not an episode I usually look forward to seeing. The first act, for instance, is largely pointless, revolving around a TV and a Chanel suit, with only one gag which actually works. The second act is better, but still dull, with Tom Kite being more vindictive than actually effective. The subplot, where Homer and Burns try to blackmail each other, is mildly interesting at times, but then I was never a fan of golf anyway. Most of the Simpsons characters also seem oddly out of character. Marge, for instance. She goes against her values so willingly and in such an out-of-character fashion that she doesn't seem believable at all and considering she is the main protagonist for this episode, that is a real nail in the coffin. Lisa is annoying and Bart barely appears, which leaves Homer as the best of the Simpsons characters. Along with Mr. Burns, he prevents the episode from becoming a complete dud. Unfortunately, the third is not that much better than the first two. I have measured all of the elements up and I have decided to give this episode a C-. I was going to fail this episode, but it is saved by Homer, Burns and their subplot.
    Last edited by DaRick; 07-22-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick
    Most of the Simpsons characters also seem oddly out of character. Marge, for instance. She goes against her values so willingly and in such an out-of-character fashion that she doesn't seem believable at all and considering she is the main protagonist for this episode, that is a real nail in the coffin.
    This is actually what is considered good about the episode. Marge wasn't out of character, so much as it reveals Marge's human failings as she yearns to fit in. Her character gradually slips due to the club until she is completely obsessed. Then it takes her family to realize that she is turning into a monster. I honestly find none of that unbelievable, as it provided a reasonable conflict for Marge to deal with.

I for one, love this episode. Some parts can be a bit unfunny, but there is always humor in some form or another taking place. Homer and Burns' subplot was sheer excellence and did a great job as balancing out the less funny, yet just as interesting main plot. I loved Marge's character in this, as desire for popularity is a snare that even the most well-mannered people fall into. I thought it was a nice way to show Marge declining slowly until it takes a jolt of cruelty from her to find out exactly how consumed she is. This episode has one of my favorite lines of all time: "Mmmm... Open face club sandwich." Overall, because some parts come off a bit unfunny or bland, this episode gets a A-/A or a 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut
    This is actually what is considered good about the episode. Marge wasn't out of character, so much as it reveals Marge's human failings as she yearns to fit in. Her character gradually slips due to the club until she is completely obsessed. Then it takes her family to realize that she is turning into a monster. I honestly find none of that unbelievable, as it provided a reasonable conflict for Marge to deal with.
    I'm just telling it how I see it. I've never been too fond of this episode.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

A, an underrated classic. Some may say it's dull, but I enjoy the more down-to-earth episodes such as this. Great moments from all of OFF, especially Marge in which we see a new depth to her character. I also really like the touching ending.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I did like it when they went to the outlet mall in ogdenville, and Homer golfing Burns was hilarious, I also loved when Burns pulled in to the Kwik-E-Mart with a car that seemed to be from the 1920s
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Purple Monkey Dishwasher Where's Poochie?'s Avatar

This isn't your usual Simpsons episode.

There's hardly any laughs, but then again that's not the point of this episode. It's supposed to represent peer pressure among adult women, and it's interesting how they don't make it too funny, too dramatic, or even too real. It fits nicely into the universe of OFF. You may not be entertained by it, but you're compelled to watch it.

4/5

I'll echo the sentiment that this episode simply isn't very funny. It has a nice story and some great art direction, but it's not the type of episode I want to watch over and over. I'd give it a 3/5 by classic era standards.

Not waving but drowning Lady_Simpson's Avatar

This one was pretty good.
    Not really funny or memorable, but it was nice to see a Marge episode which focus on her inner struggles...those seem to be rare. And just seeing them dressed differently was pretty sweet to me.
    You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler, you. Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities! - Sideshow Bob

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

I'm just telling it how I see it. I've never been too fond of this episode.
    Most of the Simpsons characters also seem oddly out of character. Marge, for instance. She goes against her values so willingly and in such an out-of-character fashion that she doesn't seem believable at all and considering she is the main protagonist for this episode, that is a real nail in the coffin.
    I can sympathise with you not enjoying an episode, but the reason you just listed there kinda bamboozles me. TheForbiddenDonut explained it quite well. Marge is a down to earth, family driven person, but even the most loving family woman can be driven to being an asshole if they're associated with the wrong people. Looking at her family, it's not hard to see why she might yearn to join a superfical place where things seem nice on the outside. To join that place where she believes she'll be more happy, she attempts to bring herself up to their 'standards' and in the process becomes a jerk.

I live in a suburb of Sydney where there is a strong divide amongst the rich, and the middle class. Members of the middle class (me) may bag out the rich, but it's not too much of a stretch to see those social status seeking middle class people wish to become something better, and in the process become something that they don't want to be. Marge didn't see herself becoming a jerk until Homer's comment, and that's what drives her to going back to what she once was.

On a different note, I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of the rich folks to be absolutely useless, which they are. The lines that are delivered by the women whilst drinking tea are absurdly realistic. "I won't eat anything unless it's shipped overnight from Vermont or Washington state". It's almost spooky when I consider the similarity between that line and some of the crap the useless families around our suburb spout when they're in public. Ugh.

It's an odd episode that probably needs a little experience to understand and appreciate it fully, but once you do it's an oustanding episode that proves to be one of the best social commentaries that the show has ever produced. 7.5/10
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Mitch
    4/5

Homers golfing subplot was actually better than the main plot of Marge - which was rather bland.
    The first time I watched this episode I did not like it but the 2nd time I did. I agree that the Homer subplot was the best part of the episode.
    Summer of the 4FT.2 is the best episode ever

Banned

I really didn't like this episode. I give it a 2.

I would give it a 2.5... but oh well. Just a boring episode.

*cough*

i voted a 5/5. it shows the other side of Marge.

I LOVE it. A+!
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

cleaning my asteroid Roger Wilco's Avatar

Solid B. 66/100. But it's not special for me.
    This boring friday night...

it's a good Marge episode for me, the story is good and i think Marge's behaviour is in a way understandable.

B

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

My least favorite episode of season 7. There's nothing nessecarily wrong with it, its better than a lot of season 11 episodes, its just not that good. I didn't laugh once, the shallowness of the characters (buying good expensive clothes gets you friends?), and its lack of memorability.
    2/5

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Either my second or third favorite of season 7. Pretty much perfect, with two great plots that weave together wonderfully, a humanizing and realistic study of Marge's character, great Burnsmithers interactions and characterizations, a classically ironic and yet sweet ending, and much more. A+

A- or maybe an A, I gave it 5/5. Great episode, not my favorite of S7, but good nonetheless.

Thread Information