View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

10 16.95%
  • 4/5

21 35.59%
  • 3/5

16 27.12%
  • 2/5

9 15.25%
  • 1/5

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Family Guy: "Don't Make Me Over"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review Family Guy: "Don't Make Me Over"

Quote Originally Posted by TV.com
    Meg Griffin has become very pretty out of nowhere, and is becoming quite famous around Quahog. So the Griffin family decides to hit the road and perform around the country.
    Could be good...

You bastard! I had some good funny quotes for that poll! ...

Seriously, though, Family Guy is back...awesomeness! I just hope it's a good episode, and it sounds good, too...if it's good, it's gonna be a great summer...

Adam West is back. Sweeeeet.
    I'm back.

the appearance by cosby in the first act was funny. uh, that's honestly the only positive thing i remember at the moment from the first two acts. the first act was very weak. there were about seven jokes about death/dead people/setting yourself on fire that all bombed pretty hard. the singing in act two was dissapointing given family guy's history of creating humorous songs. the third act was an improvement. jimmy fallon looking off camera and the live at the apollo jokes were good. overall, though ... awful. d

...sssss... science? BlindPsychic's Avatar

Fun family guy as usual, but I'm easily amused. 4/5
    Last edited by BlindPsychic; 06-05-2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Because I don't care about ratings.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Isn't Meg fourteen? ...Ewwww.

Anyway, pretty meh and a bit more cliche than what they usually do. 3/5

EDIT: Missed the first act, though, I tuned in around the time when Peter and his band are practicing in the garage.
    Last edited by TriforceBun; 06-05-2005 at 05:35 PM.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Seth MacFarlane's delivery as Peter is getting, if anything, even more Homer-esque. His inflections in the third act, where he's talking about getting back at the man who deflowered his daughter etc., were right out of the Castellanetta playbook.

Predictable gags and terrible plot construction (and the Fat Albert thing wasn't even a joke, just another one of those Family Guy things where the reference is supposed to be funny in and of itself), but I did think the references to Brian's racism were pretty funny.

Amazing that FG seems more stale in its fourth season than The Simpsons does in its sixteenth.

Blog Entries

Granted i missed the third episode of the season, but i probably enjoyed this one most out of the three i've seen. the plot seemed a little more ambitious, or at least more interesting than the other two. as far as humor goes, there were less misses in this episode, but still several. when a joke hit though it was usually pretty hilarious. loved peter and the gang breaking into the journey song. i don't know, enjoyable...B.

Pretty meh. Some jokes fell flat, but none of them have outright pissed me off yet, so we've still got room to fall...

Other than that there were some deifnite highlights. Adam West's baseball cards line. The whole journey thing. The George Bush bit. Few other things that have already left my mind...

3/5

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

Loved the "Don't Stop Believin'" karaoke bit. Things started strong, but lost steam the instant Peter's garage band split up & Meg: Teen Diva took over. Oh, and the Mad TV in-jokes HAVE to go, considering that show is even worse than modern day SNL.

Had potential for at least a 4/5 out of the gate, but once the dust settled, it was yet another 3/5 episode. I'm starting to wonder how thin Seth MacFarlane is spreading himself between FG & American Dad...

One minor complaint I had about Family Guy was that the writers never paid enough attention to Meg or Chris. If they're going to be part of the main cast, it's pretty useless to make them JUST secondary players.

It seems like that problem is being remedied early in the game. Meg has her long-sought after makeover, and she instantly becomes a star. Just as Peter is trying to develop his own band, she becomes the star of the Griffin family band.

This is one of the best uses of Meg they've done in the whole series, even if it was over-the-top. She turned out exactly the way I thought she would when she let fame go to her head. But this could've been a better episode had it not been for the number of weak jokes.

Two things I found surprising about this episode:

-someone finally did a singing band episode WITHOUT parodying American Idol.
    -MEG GOT LAID!!! (this actually made my jaw drop!)

And personally, even BEFORE the makeover, I don't find Meg THAT ugly at all. Those fire-burning jokes were a tad overkill.

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    -someone finally did a singing band episode WITHOUT parodying American Idol.
    well, i can think of more shows that parodied the partridge family than american idol.

Hired Goon

the first act was great, but after that it seemed to go in a bunch of different directions that the episode didn't have much of a point. highlights of the episode were definitely karaoke (not only don't stop believin', but mort singing as well), the bush bit, and basically the rest of the first act. however, the episode, for the most part, maintained its constant humor; yes, there were some misses, but the jokes that did hit were flat-out hilarious.

overall, 3.5/5...rounded up to 4 because jimmy fallon got the shit kicked out of him.

I thought it was hilarious. 5/5

PETER: Hello, Cleveland!
    CLEVELAND: Hello, Peter.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

4/5. Enjoyed the Ms. Swan cameo and the return of Mayor West.

"Relations!"

Also, why is Seth MacFarlane the only guy on TV (outside SNL) who's brave enough to make an onscreen joke about the president? The Simpsons usually have no problem messing with the presidents, but aside from the verbal jokes, they've somehow had trouble bringing Dubya to the camera.

Doddering Old Man

Meg losing her virginity to Jimmy Fallon. I can honestly say I did not see that one coming. 3/5

Blog Entries

i hate g dub as much as the next guy but that was probably the worst bit in the whole episode. very predictable and painfully unfunny.

pretty rad

Sorry to all the doubters, but I thought this one was the best so far of the new episodes. None of the awkward callbacks, no greased-up deaf guy, no chicken, no badly shoehorned cutaways. The only real problem was that Seth's Jimmy Fallon was not very authentic. But man, that joke about him laughing was dead-on. Laughed VERY HARD at Miss Swan appearing. I DID NOT see that coming. The older-man-having-sex-with-a-teenage girl reminded me of Husband, Father, Brother and the whole lusting after the cheerleaders in junior high, but still, it didn't faze me.

This episode reminded me the most of the episodes of the original three seasons, and that's good to realize.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

I missed "Blind Ambition", so this is the first new FG that I've seen in three weeks. And I liked it a lot. Sure, the plot took a lot of left turns, but I expect that from "Family Guy". And the focus was heavily on Meg, a character who's normally pretty underused. A lot of good jokes, such as Stewie beating his thought balloon to death, all the karaoke stuff, the George W. Bush gag, Brian's inferred racism ("I get that from my father, he's from a different generation"), Peter calling Stewie "Stevie" (it went by so quickly that it was perfect), the album covers (I thought the last one with the other family members on the "Missing" milk carton was great), Peter beating up Jimmy Fallon... it goes on. An episode like this is a good example of MacFarlane's brazenness, and he'll go all-out on this show to get a reaction. I just wish FOX would stop putting disclaimers on every episode...but aside from that, this one still won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Crotis Jivefunk

4/5

A hell of alot better than the past two episodes. I find it to also be the best Meg episode so far. I didn't care that the plot was all over, because it was actually funny and the two plots tied. Alot of gags like entertaining George Bush, the moonlanding, and the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    Also, why is Seth MacFarlane the only guy on TV (outside SNL) who's brave enough to make an onscreen joke about the president?
    what? watch any sketch show, daily show episode, or any number of sitcoms (comedy central's short lived "that's my bush" for instance). the simpsons were at least more clever with the commander coo coo bananas line.

the simpsons were at least more clever with the commander coo coo bananas line.
    More up to date, too. The "Bush is a funny imbecile" joke is several years out of date. The Simpsons joke was far more in line with the way he's currently perceived by left and right (as a trigger-happy war-starter).

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

4/5

I highly enjoyed it. Loved the Revenge of the Nerds 80s fix-up montage, Don't Stop Believin' karaoke bit and Jimmy Fallon getting the shit beat out of him. Quite possibly the best Meg episode yet.

I wasn't feeling it, but I liked what I saw a lot more than "Blind Ambition". Absolutely the best part had to be Stewie kicking the shit out of his thought balloon (reminding me of a gag on an episode of "The Critic"), plus the Miss Swan apperance was cute, but it was bound to happen since Alex IS on the writing team, it also tied into the 3rd act's theme of sketch shows...but above all:

Jimmy Fallon on FG = real life. Seth didn't voice him well, but he just got him down, absolutely. Too bad we won't see any "Meg-won't-ever-get-laid" jokes again...

3.5/5

I would have prefered to see the band stay with the guys as the member, but I got some luaghs anyway.

One thing I need explained: When Stewie ran through the mall naked, why did he say he escaped from Kevin Spacey's basement? Why Kevin Spacey? And what was the black show/person reference Stewie made after they all got done talking at the same time?

Man, this was a hilarious episode. Best of the season so far, with so many funny moments I can't list them all. Mainly that vegetable joke. So wrong yet so hilarious.

A

country sad ballad man

the stewie/brian stuff was great (yoda, "what's a shorter word for intercourse?") and adam west was awsome. otherwise, meh. B-

Not 5...Not 6...Not 7... DAntae's Avatar

this season of the new episodes on a whole has been a big let down. this episode was no different, the only time I laughed was at stewie's yoda lines. this was a below average episode, which is the norm so far.

pretty awful, actually. nothing better than a C.

Thread Information