View Poll Results: How would you rate "Lisa Gets An 'A'"?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - This whole episode gets an 'A'.

73 48.03%
  • 4/5 - Most of this episode gets an 'A'.

60 39.47%
  • 3/5 - Some of this episode gets an 'A'.

18 11.84%
  • 2/5 - Hardly any of this episode gets an 'A'.

1 0.66%
  • 1/5 - The FOX logo gets an 'A'.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "Lisa Gets An 'A'"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R: "Lisa Gets An 'A'"

One of the most overrated episodes of all time, unfunny and mostly badly plotted. Plus, it's written by Ian Maxtone-Graham.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

"Man, show business is hard work. I'll be in my trailer."

4/5

Don't see what Maxtone's writing credit and reputation from other episodes has to do with this one specific example.

Anyway, best of season 10 here (not exactly difficult considering the competition however). The way the episode develops from Lisa cheating on a test to a satire on school funding standards based off set academic/test/GPA standards (funding that would help to meet those standards), while simultaneously paying recognition to the wasteful spending Skinner/Chalmers propose with that money is all fine and good and interesting. Doesn't really go that far with it however, buried in one act, and the main conflict before that (will Lisa confess?) is pretty run-of-the-mill, and not all that interesting plotwise. This episode also spouts yet another Scully standard (even then) Captain Wacky get-rich-quick scheme, here with Pinchy. Plus, to keep piling on the negatives, this episode probably also has some of the blandest direction in the series, Marge driving away after dropping off Lisa in particular is lazily drawn, though it's hardly limited to that one example. One of the funniest Scully episodes though, "Dash Dingo" (aside from those bit arcade scenes, probably the best video game parody in the series), pretty much everything Ralph says ("Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers" is probably the best Ralph one-liner in the series), Nelson's bathroom office, Oscar Myers Promotional Tables, Bart's shop made copy of himself, "Brown, Brown, Brown", Skinner/Chalmers, ect, there's plenty to laugh at, and coupled with the somewhat ambitious plotline and likeable, if not especially exciting Lisa characterization carrying the episode, the episode is a winner, and a standout in the huge pile of dung known as season 10. B+
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 05-31-2005 at 09:49 PM.

I dislike Maxtone's writing style as most jokes fail rather badly (exception his two most recent episodes). Granted, most finished scripts don't contain all that much of a credited writer's work, but he did still write some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Omine
    I dislike Maxtone's writing style as most jokes fail rather badly (exception his two most recent episodes). Granted, most finished scripts don't contain all that much of a credited writer's work, but he did still write some of it.
    Well, joke quality is subjective obviously. Though I don't think that matters here, as it's not like there's any particular style of jokes that seem to be consistent (and consistently limited) to Maxtone's episodes that I can see. And some of the things that could be seen (arguably) as characteristic of his style (jerkass Homer, on-the-run premises) aren't really applicable to this episode either. So I don't really think it's a fair complaint, that's all.
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 05-31-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Dr. Bartley

3/5

Purple Is A Fruit.

5/5

A good, funny episode, very entertaining.

Mostly what Channel Surfer said, the best episode for my worst season of all time, which is a mixed compliment. Not exactly brilliant, but one of only two season 10 episodes to break the B grade, the other being They Saved Lisa's Brain.

B

Stonecutter

Havn't seen this in years, but from what I can remember great, 5/5.

nameless is just saying that because she thinks that disliking a particular writer makes her cool.

I hear people babbling on saying "Lisa Gets an 'A'" is the best episode of Season 10. I always ask myself "what the hell?". Crash Bandicoot parodies aside, it's one of the most unfunny and uninspired episodes ever. Topped off with an inane sub-plot with Homer getting a pet lobster. Lisa's plot was bland and predictable, we all know she will confess to cheating in the end. And Homer's plot was just as bland and predictable, we all know he won't sacrifice Pinchy, but at the end the lobster will die. So, now that I've got the boring plots out of the way, characterisations: Lisa's character was okay; I don't see anything wrong with her cheating, it's more or less her strange addiction to Dash Dingo, when she gets to the stage she's requesting Marge to let her stay off and make her an extravagant breakfast. Homer's character, he certainly wasn't a jerkass but he was strange. So, jokes? Heh, that's a funny one. I really only got a kick out of Dash Dingo, and that's about it, Ralph's "super nintendo chalmers" line used to have me laughing, but now I've heard it so many times I wish it never existed. The episode as a whole isn't exactly a laugh-fest. But, despite the bland plot, sub-par characterisations and a few laughs. This episode gets a little bit too much love. C+

Boy, I didn't think this episode was so disliked. Definitely the best of season 10 for me, 5/5. And personally I thought Homer's subplot was hilarious. Pointless: yes, Stupid: no.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters
    nameless is just saying that because she thinks that disliking a particular writer makes her cool.

I hear people babbling on saying "Lisa Gets an 'A'" is the best episode of Season 10. I always ask myself "what the hell?". Crash Bandicoot parodies aside, it's one of the most unfunny and uninspired episodes ever. Topped off with an inane sub-plot with Homer getting a pet lobster. Lisa's plot was bland and predictable, we all know she will confess to cheating in the end. And Homer's plot was just as bland and predictable, we all know he won't sacrifice Pinchy, but at the end the lobster will die. So, now that I've got the boring plots out of the way, characterisations: Lisa's character was okay; I don't see anything wrong with her cheating, it's more or less her strange addiction to Dash Dingo, when she gets to the stage she's requesting Marge to let her stay off and make her an extravagant breakfast. Homer's character, he certainly wasn't a jerkass but he was strange. So, jokes? Heh, that's a funny one. I really only got a kick out of Dash Dingo, and that's about it, Ralph's "super nintendo chalmers" line used to have me laughing, but now I've heard it so many times I wish it never existed. The episode as a whole isn't exactly a laugh-fest. But, despite the bland plot, sub-par characterisations and a few laughs. This episode gets a little bit too much love. C+
    I agree it's not a fantastic episode but when people say it's the best of Season 10 it's because well....how much competition is there realistically? I'd rate most season 10 episodes in the D and F range with maybe a few C's and 2 B's so in that context a perfectly ordinary episode becomes best-of-season

Um, I thought Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo was the best episode of Season 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    Um, I thought Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo was the best episode of Season 10?
    Not for me but I know it is for some, it just about scrapes a C- for me

back in black

Most of this episode gets an "A", though my official grade is B+ (4/5). It would be an A episode easily if the ending wasn't so rushed (in both plots, actually).
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

Most of this episode gets an 'A' for me, very good.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

5/5. I really enjoy watching this episode, that's all I can say. And most of season 10 for that matter. Sure it's not in the same galaxy as the best season, but I still like it.

Mad without power

4.5/5

Favorite episode of Season 10, and probably the only one of Ian's episodes that I've actually enjoyed. (though I have yet to see the NY one) The plot with Mr. Pinchy was one of the funniest sub-plots ever.

Most of the bad writers have written at least one or two good episodes, though. Tim Long has his "Skinner's Sense of Snow", Kevin Curran has his "Don't Fear the Roofer", and John Frink...umm...well, I did say most of the bad writers, didn't I?
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

I don't consider Ian THAT much of a bad writer. The only really bad episode he wrote was "Alone Again, Natura-Diddly".

Meh... a C+/B- episode for me. Ian has wrote better things.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Personally my heart sinks when I hear Ian's written an episode, he's written some of my least favourite shows ever. I've yet to see The Heartbroke Kid but I'd say his best episode was Catch Em If You Can. But I'd rate all these D or worse:

The Trouble With Trillions
    Alone Again Natura-Diddly
    Tennis The Menace
    Dude Where's My Ranch?

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

Very overrated. I just can't see all the fuss, Crash Bandicoot parodies aside, it is pretty uninspired as Butters pointed out well. Humour was good by Season 10's standards, and Homer wasn't too irritable but overall it is just good and thats it. Nothing to write home about. B
    DVD Season Rankings - 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 8, 1

One word: Pinchy

This episode features one of my all-time favourite sub-plots. It's a very well written and funny episode. 4/5

One of season 10's best. 4.5/5, rounded up.

Save for the sub-plot, which I thought was overrated and not as funny as people seem to make out, except for the fact that the lobster acts a bit like a human, Lisa Gets an 'A' is actually one of Season 10's better episodes. The story is somewhat interesting, as we witness how Lisa's ethical values go against her decision to cheat in the exam. All of the characters were well-tuned as well, acting the way they should. Even old Homer wasn't too bad. The ending was also pretty funny too and also the part where Homer mourns and salivates over his cooked lobster. I award this episode a B+; if the subplot was a bit better, it would get at least an A-.

The handful of season 10 episodes that were not completely Homer-centric were the best. In fact, the Homer subplot had his best moments of the season. I'd give it a 5/5.

Banned

lisa gets an A-gets an A+++ even the extra credit questions which got caught in the vending machine!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I really liked this episode, I liked the "Dash Dingo" game, the Mr. Pinchy subplot and watching Gil try to sell Colecos
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Saxomaphone!

Although I'm too late to vote, I'll still award it with an A- (no +++ I'm afraid). The best of S10 by a long shot and the only ep of the season that I'd gladly place alongside any classic era installment. Pinchy may be a "Captain Wacky" subplot, but it's the best of them all and so very very funny, especially its conclusion. The main plot is engaging and surprising, finding a way to put Lisa in a new situation without diminishing her character. Ian Maxtone-Graham may be responsible for some real travesties, but this is not one of them.
    Homer's Brain: "Oh glory of glories. Oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty that is God's creation."
    Homer: "Holy macaroni!"
    My DVD Collection
    TOP 25:
    1. Homer the Heretic
    2. Marge vs. the Monorail
    3. Last Exit to Springfield
    4. Treehouse of Horror V
    5. Cape Feare
    6. Home-Sweet-Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily
    7. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
    8. Lisa’s First Word
    9. Simpson and Delilah
    10. Lisa’s Sax
    11. $pringfield
    12. 22 Short Films About Springfield
    13. Mr. Plow
    14. Mother Simpson
    15. I Love Lisa
    16. El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer
    17. Bart of Darkness
    18. A Streetcar Named Marge
    19. You Only Move Twice
    20. Treehouse of Horror VI
    21. Homer’s Enemy
    22. Rosebud
    23. Krusty Gets Kancelled
    24. Bart the Lover
    25. A Fish Called Selma

The long and winding road.. Fugitive's Avatar

Since I am watching Season 10...slowly to say the least. I would have to say it's one of my favorites and fits in with the better episodes of the two previous seasons before it. 5/5 Very good A-

Thread Information