Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2196

Thread: Simpsons Comics Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Milhouse #1

Picked up Milhouse #1 this morning and as promised on the Bongo blog the back cover is an illustration (and not an advertisement) the evolution of which was described on the bongo blog...

http://www.bongocomics.com/blog

The center has a full page insert - a "Thrill House" Milhouse sticker by Nathan Kane, drawn in what strikes me as the style of the crazy cars cards and stickers from the 70's, such as the Odd Rods series, except Milhouse is on a bike, naturally.

The Bongo Bonus sticker is a superhero one associates exclusively with Milhouse. We'll leave it there for now until others here acquire their copy!

ArchiveGuy

Free Comic Book Day May 5 - Signings?

Greetings all! Free Comic Book Day is coming, and with it we often see notices that former and current writers and artists from Bongo (and even others from Simpsons related productions) are on hand. Unfortunately news of where and when is often difficult to come by and is often not available until a day or two before.

Here's where FCBD maintains the official list...
    http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/199
    ..but as of this morning there are no current Bongo artists listed.

Bongo last year posted some of them for FCBD 2011, where they said;
    Last Year's List
    Several of Bongo’s artists and writers will be appearing around the country on Saturday, including: Bill Morrison and Jesse McCann (signing at Comics Unlimited in Westminster, CA from 11 AM to 1 PM), Andrew Pepoy (signing at Third Coast Comics in Chicago, IL from 1-3 PM), Phil Ortiz (signing at The Comic Bug in Manhattan Beach, CA from 12-4 PM), and Evan Dorkin (signing at Comic Book Jones in Staten Island, NY).
    http://www.bongocomics.com/blog/05/0...-book-day-2011

Now, checking the same places most have no info on signings, however:

The Comic Bug in Manhattan Beach has no current Bongo people but Richard Starkings will be there;
    http://thecomicbug.com/2012/05/05/jo...urday-may-5th/

Evan Dorkin will appear again at Comic Book Jones
    http://comicbookjones.com/FCBD_2012_Flyer.jpg

Anyone know of any other signings? If you hear of anything please post it here!
    Last by mid-April we had a lot more info...
    http://www.nohomers.net/printthread....&pp=25&page=61

Thanks!
    ArchiveGuy

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Picked up Milhouse #1 today. The Thrillhouse sticker almost makes me want to pick up a second issue, just so I can have one to keep and one to stick on something:

UP AND ATOM!

For anyone interested, Otter Press is resuming the publication of all Simpsons series in Australia, with a few changes. The last issue printed was #174, about a year ago (at that time they were running about 3-4 months behind the US schedule). They're resuming with #175, but it will be a bi-monthly title where two issues are combined into one (so it will be US #175 and #176 in a single issue), so they will remain around 15 months behind the American schedule, and will include bonus posters much like the UK edition. Unlike the UK edition, though, this is going to be ashcan/digest size (smaller in dimension than a standard comic book).

Super Spectacular #14 has also just been released (came out December 2011 in the US), and Otter Press have used the new style logo. I guess this is the worldwide debut of the new logo for Super Spectacular. I don't have the issue as I already own the US edition, but I'll try and get a picture next time I see it. They're also using the new-style for the Simpsons Comics revival, even though they're currently printing issues that came out well before the changes - in a way it looks kind of weird having the new logo on covers it wasn't originally included on.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Also, I'm honestly questioning the long-time potential of Simpsons Illustrated. None of the comic stores in my city have stocked #2, and neither have any of the other stores in the country that I get comics through if all else fails (including eBay, where they generally have everything). All stores here used to get Simpsons Classics, so it seems weird that they're not bothering with what is basically the replacement to that series. Only thing I can think of is Classics was more successful for collectors that never got the older issues, because they knew that the stories were being reprinted in order. Now it's such a mixed bag from so many different series, I can see why people can't see the appeal of it. I've had to order it direct from the US, which is a shame, as I've never had to do that for a brand new comic before.

Junior Camper

The new August solicits are out:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...ongoaugust.htm

3 Bongos and 1 Squarepants.

FULL TIME SIMPSONS NUT speedmaster's Avatar

I'm looking forward to Li'l homer. Should be a lot of fun hopefully. I just wish they would give Moe his own One-shot comic....

That's A Paddlin'

I want a Patty and Selma one. They did this with one of the early issues. They've also had Patsy and Selma related stories. I always get a kick of them!

Junior Camper

5 Jimbos are on ebay now for $122 with 4 hours left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1202

Quote Originally Posted by yodazone View Post
    There's a teaser pic of one of the upcoming Bongo San Diego exclusives that's now posted on Bongo's facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/BongoComics

hmmm....looks very Summer Olympics centric!!!
    There's already ads for this in the new Australian issue of Simpsons Comics, kind of ruining the surprise for any of us Aussies that would love to see what was going to be unveiled at Comic Con (the publishers here release the SDCC and Free Comic Book Day releases as proper in-store releases here). I can't remember the exact name - it was either "The Simpsons Race For Gold" or "The Simpsons Go For Gold". The cover is practically what you see in that image - it's Homer roasting a wiener over the torch. The description seemed to refer to two stories, I'm not sure if they're new or not, and can't remember the names of them (I really should have taken a picture). The thing that jumped out at me though, was it includes a humorous "map" of London, with parodies and different characters from the show/comics appearing.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    There's already ads for this in the new Australian issue of Simpsons Comics, kind of ruining the surprise for any of us Aussies that would love to see what was going to be unveiled at Comic Con (the publishers here release the SDCC and Free Comic Book Day releases as proper in-store releases here). I can't remember the exact name - it was either "The Simpsons Race For Gold" or "The Simpsons Go For Gold". The cover is practically what you see in that image - it's Homer roasting a wiener over the torch. The description seemed to refer to two stories, I'm not sure if they're new or not, and can't remember the names of them (I really should have taken a picture). The thing that jumped out at me though, was it includes a humorous "map" of London, with parodies and different characters from the show/comics appearing.
    Any chance you could you take a pic? Especially of the map...

Been a Simpsons comic collector for some time now!

Really enjoy the reading the story lines and the graphics are like eye candy.

That's A Paddlin'

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhardr View Post
    Been a Simpsons comic collector for some time now!

Really enjoy the reading the story lines and the graphics are like eye candy.
    Really? Even when they're completely off-model and look horrible? Don't get me wrong, they were pure gold back in the day!

being completely off-model is what good comics good.

When its obvious that they've asked the artist to do it in their own style (like the Dean Rankine short stories in a few of the latest issues), it doesn't really bother me and feels like something new. What bothers me is when artists that really try to emulate Groening's style continually produce sub-par work and shows no improvement (cough, John Costanza).

Blog Entries

I sent bongo comics an e-mail asking for confirmation 5 days ago and they never replied

jerks

well they did reply today and apologized, so now I feel real bad about calling them jerks

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../bongosept.htm

Bongo comics for September.

That looks a lot like Hilary Barta artwork on the cover of THOH 18 (edit: oops, didn't read the description - it confirms that), though I don't like how Bart looks so horribly off-model. Simpsons 194 cover is terrible too, SLH looks sloppily drawn and what's with Homer's face? Though it's being written by Nina Matsumoto, who is one of their best artists from the last few years - and it's not every day you see an already-established Bongo artist writing the story too (while she does perfectly fine Simpsons-style comics, my favourite of hers is the anime style section in Simpsons 131).

Disappointed to see that even though Sergio has material in Bart Simpson, there's still no sign of a Funnies return.

the worst person ever

over 1800 simpsons comics from 18 countries
    i dislike your grubby little hands on my precious comics

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by the real comic book guy View Post
    Awesome! Wonder what the print run for the exclusive is for SanDiego. The Comicon site has been slow in posting the exclusives:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

I just got a bunch of Simpsons Comics in the mail, it took so long to put them all in bags and boards
    "You know Horris despite the fact that we live in Minnesota I subscribe to the New Yorker"

Hey, a fellow Superior Squad member! Hello Bix- er, I mean Bug Boy.

Just picked up the latest Futurama and Summer Shindig. Was hoping they'd have Super Spectacular, but that doesn't release until Wednesday.

--

Edit: An FYI to Radioactive Man fans: the latest Summer Shindig has a new Radioactive Man story in it. Looks good! Haven't read it yet, but it looks to deal with wannabe RM impersonators. Also there is a story involving Kent Brockman dressed as Superman and a story involving a Duff Brewery tour.
    Last edited by Captain Squid; 06-25-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Hey, a fellow Superior Squad member! Hello Bix- er, I mean Bug Boy.

Just picked up the latest Futurama and Summer Shindig. Was hoping they'd haveSuper Spectacular , but that doesn't release until Wednesday.

-Edit: An FYI to Radioactive Man fans: the latest Summer Shindig has a new Radioactive Man story in it. Looks good! Haven't read it yet, but it looks to deal with wannabe RM impersonators.
    I read it about two weeks ago, really good. Can't wait for Super Spectacular 15[/B]

Yeah, the RM comics have always been consistently great. Simpsons Comics is hit or miss for me, Bart Simpson Comics is too kiddy. But RM has yet to disappoint. Super Spectacular looks to give Plasmo the Mystic more show, which is great. I always liked his floating eyeball under a hood design.

Just got Simpsons #191. There's some really nice ads in it, like for the upcoming Radioactive Man hardcover. There's also a full-page mock ad for Buzz Cola at the back, which was a nice touch.

As for the comic itself, I found flaws with the story and art. The ending was pretty lame (no offence to Ian Boothby, but that seems to be normal for a lot of his stories). There were some really great jokes though, there was a recurring joke with references to past episodes and comics, with Bart never being able to recall them, and there was a good one-liner about his shirt. The biggest problem I had was Apu seemed really out of character - just, the way his sentences were constructed is nothing like how it is in the show or previous comics.

The art was really shocking, and I think that's saying a lot considering this is a Phil Ortiz issue. A lot of the characters, particularly Lisa, are off-model throughout, there were a couple times where characters were drawn much too big compared to their backgrounds, giving this weird fat/giant effect, and character poses were very stiff. Hopefully it's a one off thing. Just wasn't very impressed.

That's A Paddlin'

I game up on RM when they started doing that off-model art. Can't stand it, and it's a shame since I liked the original first couple of issues. It's just missing the Simpsons touch IMHO.

Yeah, I didn't like the off model art of the 2nd series and up. I still liked the issues, just not the weaker art.

Blog Entries

you guys are crazy, the 2nd series art blows the 1st series out of the water. with the comics in general, I think the artists should be allowed to be creative and not forced to rigidly conform to the models. otherwise it's just promo art stapled together

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zach

"I think the artists should be allowed to be creative and not forced to rigidly conform to the models. otherwise it's just promo art stapled together"

Yeah, maybe your right. I just remember being annoyed at first how the art is so different from the 1st series.

That's A Paddlin'

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    you guys are crazy, the 2nd series art blows the 1st series out of the water. with the comics in general, I think the artists should be allowed to be creative and not forced to rigidly conform to the models. otherwise it's just promo art stapled together
    Bongo is really strapped for cash. I doubt they're looking for creativity. They just don't want to hire real artists who can make The Simpsons look like The Simpsons.

It's not just promo art stapled together. It still has a story attached. You might as well say that The Simpsons television show should go off-model and just let anyone draw the characters. Would you really go along with that? Probably not, since the art of The Simpsons is what makes the show, or at least half of it. I want the show that I love transferred to the printed page. I can look at crap fan art on deviantart.

If I wanted another look, I'd go read another comic -- which I actually do, but still. It's ironic that Bongo put out a complete hardback guide on how to draw the characters properly, and then they publish this mess every month.

The Treehouse of Horror books are just awful as well. I love how Bongo passes it off as 'we're letting someone (seemingly) famous draw the art and write the stories!' lol Wow, so exciting.... How dumb do they think we are?

For an industry that's on life support, I find it bizarre that they publish so many different Simpsons titles, even the main edition 12x a year. They haven't even looked into going digital. It took them 13 years to get their web site together. How do they make money?

Like I said, they don't have the $$$ to hire the best in the biz to handle the book anymore, and it shows. They're still trying to turn crap into cold. Getting amateurs to write and produce your product is not edgy, and it's certainly not art.

Rant over -- for now.

Thread Information