View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
432. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

181 41.90%
  • 4/5

152 35.19%
  • 3/5

59 13.66%
  • 2/5

20 4.63%
  • 1/5

20 4.63%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Thank God It's Doomsday" (GABF14)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Thank God It's Doomsday" (GABF14)

Convinced that he knows when the Rapture will occur after watching an Apocalyptic movie, Homer begins warning others so he can secure his place in Heaven. When Channel 6 reports on one of Homer's predictions that later somewhat comes true, he gains a large following. When Homer's predicted apocalypse date passes with no apocalypse, a dejected Homer suddenly finds himself talking to God.

preview speculation thread

Episode airs 8:30/7:30 C.
    Last edited by Mike Scully; 05-08-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Taking my talents to S. Beach Curtis's Avatar

Good episode, I liked it 4/5. It had a good plot. (God had five fingers again)
    ¡Lee mi blog!
    Reinventing Revolution

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rather bland, but it had a few good jokes and a decent ending. 2.5/5.

EDIT: Did anyone watch it on satalite? It was really glitchy.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis the Jack Ass
    Good episode, I liked it 4/5. It had a good plot. (God had five fingers)
    God always had five fingers.

pretty rad

Heh, Los Lobos does the theme song at the end after dying in the episode. Nice touch.

Not as good as the first episode tonight, but still good. The heaven plot played out pretty well... I was afraid of some weird Computer Wore Menace Shoes ending, but it worked out nicely. Great job.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

5/5
    Awesome, better than the first episode. This episode was HILARIOUS. Best use of religion used in a Simpsons episode in a LONG time.
    Both of tonight's episodes had great endings too!
    A really, really great episode!
    [SIZE=1]

pretty rad

Quote Originally Posted by Gnight
    God always had five fingers.
    Actually, at the end of Homer the Heretic, he had four fingers.

4.25/5 It was a good solid episode that was funny and clever the stars fall from the sky bit was a clever way to put it. But did we really need to see Skinner's erection it grossed me out a bit.

Galalimit

This episode was really dull up until the heaven scene, then it got really good. Unforunately, the episode was almost over by then so that scene wasn't enough to save the episode. The episode certainly wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. It was average. (C)

Keep in mind I'm universally renowned for watching these the wrong way, but I thought it was just all right. No jokes had me laughing out loud, but no jokes had me shaking my head at the screen. A couple were good though. "Why did I choose to be gay?!" and a few others that I remember smiling at, but don't really remember the specifics of. Cause I'm a fucking moron or something.

3.5/5, which is a 4 for poll purposes. Though I... now realize... I voted 3... crap.

SUBTRACT ONE FROM 3.

ADD ONE TO 4.

I'M TOO QUICK TO JUDGMENT.

Hired Goon

decent episode. basically, I'm just gonna retread jake's review and point out that it had some good jokes and a good ending. I thought the heaven scene was really well done and funny. overall, not too bad. 3/5

Biggest disappointment of the season. There were some great jokes, but rapture plot never really worked out. C

Another 4/5 for me, I liked it a lot thought it was very funny and I'd give it a 5/5 if not for the ending which was a little iffy and wierd. I thought it was pretty good episode overall.

"I'm gonna steal God's secrets and sell them to Satan!" I love Moe.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpsonsfan82
    4.25/5 It was a good solid episode that was funny and clever the stars fall from the sky bit was a clever way to put it. But did we really need to see Skinner's erection it grossed me out a bit.
    Um... there was no "erection". His shirt was tucked in and the tail was sticking out. which the kids (because they're immature) called a "Shirt Weiner".

This episode kicked major a$$. Great jokes and religious irony. IMHO the best religious episode so far.
    BTW world ends on Dec.21st 2012.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

Pretty good, I liked the Left Below movie.

Taking my talents to S. Beach Curtis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer-Dawg
    This episode kicked major a$$. Great jokes and religious irony. IMHO the best religious episode so far.
    BTW world ends on Dec.21st 2012.
    That is what the Mayans and bible code say

I enjoyed the first episode more, this one felt a bit lacking in humour. It did have its moments though. Including Homer enjoying being pelted by food. And sevral others I can never seem to remeber B+ 4/5

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Voted 4 mistakenly, but this was more like a three. Interesting concept, but like Jake said, kind of bland.

Liked "Left Below," particularly since I live a half-hour away from the headquarters of the production company that makes those movies.

Junior Camper

Another realy good episode, two in one night, they are on a real tear this year, 5 in row. Moe couch gag was best in a while. Homer was funny and the god and religion aspect was dead on for me at least. Surprised they actuly used a date in the future.

Once again, the 8:30 episode beats out the 8:00 episode.

This was a MAJOR improvement over "Pray Anything". At first, I was worried that the premise (Homer dying and getting in an arguement with God) would be a mismatched story belonging in a Treehouse of Horror edition. Act III was especially beautiful.

I don't know how well this holds up to "Homer the Heretic", but it's VERY close.

5/5

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

well done. David Crosby aboard the blimp...nice touch. 3.5/5

Good episode, funny and one of the best of the season overall. The very last scene in the movie cracked me up, my brother didnt even catch it, you kinda had to be paying attention for that one.

4/5

A++++++

Hilarious episode, and a great plot. I'll need to rewatch it, but it still gets a 5/5

Possible "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" reference: When in Heaven, Homer uses his "superpowers" to make someone's head explode. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd point it out, being the huge Jhonen Vasquez fan that I am.

Heh, I love religious episodes. Since I've been so heavily exposed to the Christian faith in the years that my mom reintroduced me to going to church on a weekly basis, I've appreciated this kind of episode even more. The scenes in Heaven were pure genius, and I thought the whole plot was just great and wonderfully inventive. It's episodes like these that remind me why I still give the show a chance.

5/5

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

A much bigger success than "Pray Anything" in the religion-themed episode department. I found the episode particularly intriguing, especially since Homer was correct and the results were fantasy-oriented in many ways, but succeeded in relation to the story and were particularly funny. The Heaven/Hotel bits were all worth a laugh. The episode's ending, although a wee bit predictable, was neatly wrapped up and the Last Supper visual at Moe's was a nice touch. One of the season's most inventive episodes, this one gets something like a 4.5/5.
    Signature.

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

Hillarious episode, one of the top five of season 16. 5/5 A+

Galalimit

Quote Originally Posted by I'M A BRICK
    Another realy good episode, two in one night, they are on a real tear this year, 5 in row. Moe couch gag was best in a while. Homer was funny and the god and religion aspect was dead on for me at least. Surprised they actuly used a date in the future.

That moe couch gag was actually reused. It was from eariler this season.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

I'm leaning towards 5/5 but I don't like to hand those out too often.

This was like "Lisa the Skeptic," "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer" and "The Joy of Sect" rolled into one.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Music from Episode

I'm new to this forum. It's great. Where can I find the music used in this episode. Specifically the song Homer was skipping to.

Thank You

Thread Information