(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Bart Sells His Soul

Top 10 episode A+

Top 30, but I think a simple 5-1/5 scale would be better. 5/5
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

I say top 5, because it had a good story, and also it had a good message.

Plus, I like "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

Stonecutter

No it wouldn't because everyone would vote 5/5!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney
    No it wouldn't because everyone would vote 5/5!
    Ehh, I've seen a few people rate it lower

Excellent episode. A+

That poll is stupid.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cpgoat3

Monorail Conductor

Top 30
    Homer: "I call the big one Bitey."

Team Discovery Channel

Best Episode Ever

This is my personal fav., I mean you have Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag, a great Ralphie moment, some great Milhause lines, and I about died laughing at the opening. Plus it has all the tender family and spiritual moments that make the Simpsons great.

"A Caller, at his hour..."

Galalimit

Excellent. 5/5

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    Ehh, I've seen a few people rate it lower
    5/5 would still probably get the vast majority of the votes, myself included.

I consider this episode to be one of the greatest Simpsons episodes of all time. Lisa and Moe, especially, were brilliant in this one, and the other characters were great as well. So was the plot; all the right elements were there, and well balanced. Probably not the greatest episode of all time, but definitely top 5, and probably top 3 (my vote).
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I like the poll, it's different and most people would give it a 5/5. I think I voted top 5 without thinking, when it actually is my 3rd favortie episode.

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

That one's hard to figure out, it was a great episode, but not on my top ten personal best I wouldn't think. So I selected top 20.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

El Duderinho

Its a tricky question considering the amount of great episodes, but i'd say in my top 20

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

great episode. in my top 20 definately.

What a silly poll.

It's top ten. The episode is a good use of emotionally moving scenes, great subplots, hilarious scenes and a sweet resolution and ending.

A+

SuperFriend Theres Always a Bigger Fish's Avatar

I voted top five. It might be the best episode ever.

Top 3. Second favorite of all time.

Best. Episode. Ever. :silly:

But really, Bart Sells His Soul is indeed my favorite episode of all time. This episode is fantastically poignant; impressive for a Simpsons episode. The story is something everyone can relate to, and you can sympathize with Bart's plight. The concept of the soul is explored in both philosphical and religious ways, and it's also explored from a child's perspective, which makes it impressive. The image of a soul being on a piece paper really stuck with me, it's a very strong use of symbolism. It's such a great metaphor and it's actually an accurate comparison and especially in this episode because
    1) losing yourself can be easy as losing a piece of paper and
    2) you don't really care it's there until it's gone. The concept of the soul is very mysterious; it's like something you'll never figure out and it can really be a frightening topic.

The episode's tone really suits that sentiment. Some of the scenes are very dark. Like when Bart proclaims that there is no such a thing as soul, there's some subtle eerieness, especially since such a proclamation is coming from a child, and children can symbolize innocence. And when Bart travels to the city to get his soul back from Milhouse, the atmosphere is surreal and creepy. It carries this almost whimsical feeling that a child is embarking on such a task. Bart's encounter with Ralph I found very memorable in particular because it marks a turning point in Bart's desperation and there's none of Ralph's non-sequitor to lighten the mood. There's also Bart's dream; which has this eerily happy music yet it's not happy at all...it signifies him as an outcast. And when the street cleaner driver falls down the subway steps...it's funny but sinister. It's like Bart's soullessness is bringing him closer and closer to evil. One of the episode's strengths is that many scenes have this complexity to them; they might be funny but then there's this subtle creepiness to it. It's almost all too ambiguous.

The characterization of Bart in BSHS is wonderful. He's empathetic and suprisingly innocent, yet he's still charming. And his descent into vulnerability and desperation is undeniably sad. The scene where Marge tucks him in and tells him he's not a monster...really touching and sad and it really says something about Bart; he's a troublemaker but he doesn't want to called a monster. Also, Bart praying to God brought a tear to my eye. It's funny because he's not usually the one to get emotional, but when he does, it really affects me. And now he seems to cry much more in the post-classic episodes, yet I feel nothing for him.
    It's not often that Bart is used to represent the innocent side of things, when his trademark behavior is being the "bad boy". But that's what I love about Bart and he very well could be my favorite character; he's such a round and dynamic kid, and that really shines about him here. And Milhouse's position is pretty different too. He played the role of the devil all too well, and it was interesting to see him be the manipulative one for once. I also like how Bart and Lisa's relationship was potrayed; it's very, very sweet. Lisa really tries to help him and pulls through for him in the end, showing that despite their differences and squabbling, she cares about him.

I also found the episode to be quite hilarious. The lighter Moe subplot is a lot of fun, because Moe...really trying to be a nice guy...it's well, hysterical. Him catering to people he's not use to was so funny. And being a twin myself, my sister and I like to freak people sometimes by saying "We're twins." in unison in that kind of creepy way that Sherri and Terri did. It comes in handy sometimes. XD Other hilights include: Milhouse's "Ayatollah" banter, the church singing "In the Garden of Eden", and Milhouse's grandma.
    And as I mentioned before, many of the scenes have this funny-disturbingness to them.

The ending scenes are great as well. It marks the return of the Bart we all know and love as he unhesistanly knocks over Martin's boat. Perhaps mean, but Bart will always be Bart, and we love him. Well, most of us do, anyway.

5/5
    "I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda" (Quite an essay this turned out to be.)
    Last edited by Chou; 05-01-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    "Alright, alright, if it will make you happy, I'll overthrow society."

Woah, what a review, Chou.

Quote Originally Posted by In Amon
    Woah, what a review, Chou.
    :silly: Yeah, I know. And to think, I actually had to redo the entire thing because my account got logged out. I like this version better, though. XD
    Last edited by Chou; 01-04-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Neat.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

I voted 'top 20'. I've always questioned the value of the Moe subplot, as much as I like it though. I don't question it like "oh why the fuck is that there?", but question what the episode would have been like if it wasn't there. I don't think the episode being too dark would have really mattered. Having the family function as a cohesive unit while Bart was out at nighttime looking for his soul would have been an interesting look at Bart's isolation too, I feel.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

I can never keep a really consistent top 20, so I voted that.

I will say though I think it's one of the upper crust episodes in this series, maybe even top 10 material despite what I'm voting. Chou kind of put it best, it's an episode about the soul...without getting spiritual. That's something pretty damn deep, and the fact it's done without resorting to either aethiestic or spiritual extremes, or getting too downright serious is a really rare writing acomplishment. I think episodes like this are what separates this series at its best from other shows of its ilk. In fact in all of animation I've seen very few things handle it in quite the same mature way as this. Even among film in general, real, animated, tv, or the movies its a very commendable approach to it.

It's probably the series' most metaphysical episode, which is saying a lot considering some of the stuff we've seen come out of this show. Rather than look into the subject of a soul from a literal and straightforward point of view it's looked at more like a concept of human worth. What's so ingenius about it though is rather than using Homer or an adult character, it uses 10 year old Bart who's very much a "modern kid", thinks he's more seasoned than he actually is to show all this. To really show the contrast of a sardonic wise-ass and a typically superstitious innocent child, the side of himself he can't keep down.

It's great because it never gives importance to whether or not the soul is real, it doesn't even touch that age old argument. It only touches what Bart thinks. Maybe he really did lose his soul, maybe it was all in his head, but what's important is that thought he lost his humanity enough to pray about it. I think only Bart could have pulled this episode off.

Couple of well paced gags thrown in there to lighten things up, some wordplay, and Moe's amusing subplot (which come to think of it...in a way kinda goes along with the main plot even if they don't have anything to do with eachother. They both get too far ahead of themselves.) help to keep it quirky and amusing, but it's all about the wordplay. It's pretty worthy of the recognition it gets I think.

It's a good episode with a good story about Bart.
    I also really like the sub-plot with Moe and his new restaurant idea.
    Think that is pretty funny to see him as "Uncle Moe" ^^

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Very good episode, entertaining all the way through. It featured a lot of great scenes, a unique, surreal, and dark tone, and both an interesting plot and subplot.

The exploration of Bart was stellar, and I agree with some above posters that it was great seeing this particular conflict through a child's point of view, especially a child like Bart, who is paradoxically probably the most innocent character on the show. The portrayals of Milhouse and Lisa and their dynamics with Bart were also excellently-executed. I also commend the writers for not becoming too spiritual or heavy with the idea of a soul but instead keeping it secular, innocent, and open-ended to some extent.

The subplot too was fantastic. It was great seeing Moe attempt to be a kid-friendly guy, and I could relate to his frustrations a bit. Very humorous and a pleasure to watch. Overall, definitely an A-worthy episode, but it lacks the wow factor to push it to an A+.

A
    Last edited by Tamaki Suoh; 05-01-2008 at 01:54 PM.

I think it has a wow factor. I was wowed, and agree with everything Chou said (I wish I could put all my thoughts on something into a review in such a constructive, interesting and thoughtful way). Top 3 episode. A+
    "Evolution is silly," AJ adds. "Monkeys? Um, no."

Blog Entries

IMO, I think this episode is one of those 'complete-packaged' ones in the history... First, it has two great plots that both had its own distinction. The plot was great and at first, I was not really accustomed to it because it was absurd to see Bart really being behind in unrealistic fashion after selling his soul, but after many re-watches, it has grown on me. The best part was the heartfelt ending after all Bart's wanderings and lost hopes on his soul and I guess here's a line that everyone in this board can live by for rest of the lives: "But you know, Bart, some philosophers believe that nobody is born with a soul -- that you have to earn one through suffering and thought and prayer". The subplot was great with some clever parodies of chain restaurants and Moe's impatience that ultimately led to his demise was just well done for his personality. In terms of plots, this episode is just perfect, both well done and has a circular structure. The characteristics department also won me over. We saw some of Bart's soft spot during his time of fear, we also saw Lisa's devious yet heartfelt side, and Moe, as always, is impatient. Now, I don't get why you guys would say the humor was forgettable or weak because there were some moments that were good enough to crack me up. The hymn beginning with fixed lyrics of 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' was great, Sherri and Terri saying "We're twins" was cleverly done and Uncle Moe's comercial is priceless, at least. Overall, great balance between emotion and humor and two great plots. A+
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

I think it's definately overrated, but still very good. I find the plots to be interesting and the gags to be funny, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. There are two problems that I have with the episode that actually keep me from rating it 5/5.

1. I find it unbelieveable that Bart walked all the way to Milhouse's grandma's apartment and back.

2. There was no explanation on how Lisa knew CBG had Bart's soul.

Overall: A high 4/5.

Thread Information