View Poll Results: How do you rate tonight's new episode?

Voters
503. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Why wasn't this hyped as the 350th episode?

214 42.54%
  • 4/5: Good, but I might need a FUTURE viewing to see if I really enjoy it. HA HA I SAID FUTURE

146 29.03%
  • 3/5: Meh. Okay, but the show should just stick to the present.

58 11.53%
  • 2/5: I miss Bender.

57 11.33%
  • 1/5: What a cruel future we live in! JANE! STOP THIS CRAZY EPISODE!

28 5.57%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: Future-Drama (GABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Once Furious, Now Bull Bull Randleman's Avatar

loved it. Best Future Episode!

Junior Camper

Loved the TiVo touch on Frink's machine.

Slightly Obsessed

I must say, I was laughing a lot during this episode.
    It was a great plot with a great futuristic feel to this episode.

Quite frankly, I thought the bit of Homer getting the first Hover(?)car was brilliantly done. It shows that it's the future... but not too far in the future. And yes, I did catch taht their voices were a bit lower. That was nice too.

(Although I will admit, if I hadn't read about all the whinings (:P) in the speculation thread, I definitely wouldn't have noticed)

5/5, 10/10, A+, Best of season
    whatever else you want to grade it as. I thought it was a word beyond brilliant.
    Under the seeaaaaa, under the seaaaa~ =P

Wow, this thread has grown fast! Already on page 5 and it only started airing here on the West Coast an hour ago!

Great episode! Too many great jokes to mention here, and most of the good ones were already mentioned anyway. As a Futurama fan, I especially enjoyed Bender's cameo on the show.

Grade: A/A-. A little better than the previous episode "7 Beer Snitch," not as good as the original future ep "Lisa's Wedding," on the same level as my previous top episode of S16 "Sleeping With the Enemy," and definitely way better than "Bart to the Future."

This was the real 350th episode to air, and I bet the usual pattern will continue with the real milestone/finale ep to be much better than the overhyped ep.

TiVo references...that's what made the episode.

Seriously, though, 5/5 people...your fandom is sinking into your skin a little too much. The first act, sans the present time part, was AWFUL! The two last acts had to do a lot to make it up.

I'm giving this a 4/5 for the fact that there was some stuff that made me laugh a lot. Not the supposed "great character development" or crap like that. It was little references, like, mentioned earlier, Homer living under the sea. And when I saw that, I thought of Homer: Bad Man, and I immediately started thinking about the days back in 2000-2002 when I just was getting into Simpsons and watched these classics religiously...

(those were the days!)

And I sighed. We've heard it a million, bajillion, whatever-you-can-name-it-billion times...the show's not good as it used to be. And we've heard it another million times, that doesn't mean the show should be ruined for you. But face it, 5/5 people, just because Scully "tainted the show forever, leaving a mark that can't be scrubbed off, and Al Jean is doing the best he can" doesn't mean we can still criticize. And when you seem you do...you have an anticipated episode and NEVER SEEM DISAPPOINTED. C'mon! There's dissappointment in the world! Please prove that to me! Jake was kind enough to express his disappointment---

Wait, wait, wait. I'm not gonna argue. I gave it a 4/5, they're gonna kill me about that. Besides, the real wait is for two weeks to see whether Seth MacFarlane still gives Family Guy spark. Though, even if it's the worst episode in the world, FG fanatics will cry about how wonderful it is. Is it me, or am I falling out of love with idea of fandom?

4/5

(watching Goo Goo Gai Pan right now...maybe it's the future aspect that bothered me about Future-Drama...or maybe it's because Bender appeared in it and realized the series he came from never stopped sucking-- I should stop now. I really, really should)....

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000
    or maybe it's because Bender appeared in it and realized the series he came from never stopped sucking-- I should stop now. I really, really should...
    Yes you should. That hole's deep enough already, pal, no need to try to dig yourself out by going down further.
    Recent discoverer/worshipper of ATHF. Now for brilliant quotes.

Look, Frylock, you know me. Had I known all this merchandise had been broken, I would of laid the hammer down. But it was stolen. - Master Shake, "Mayhem of the Mooninites"

Look, you go find him. He don't yell at you. All I ever try to do is make him smile, and sing around him, and dance around him, and he just lays into me. He told me to get in the freezer cuz there was a carnival in there. There wasn't no carnival! It was a damn freezer! I got freezer burn. i got mushed up against a chicken...- Meatwad, "Escape from Leprauchpolis"

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Very enjoyable episode. I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. The only problem I had was that at times, it seemed like just an excuse to make as many "look how backwards everything in the future is" jokes as possible, which were also hard to swallow since it was only supposed to be 8 years in the future. But on the other hand, Frink's machine's predictions were meant to be taken with a grain of salt and not 100% accurate, so for the most part, it worked. And that's not to say that the future jokes were not funny, because most of them were. The plot was solid as well, which also made me not mind the over-abundance of twisted future jokes.

4/5

teenage milhouse = greatest cartoon character ever.

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

alot of gut-busting laughs overall, but started running outta gas before it ended. 3.5 out of 5.

8 glasses of gravy a day Jeffster's Avatar

homer5000, go read what I just posted about "There's something about marrying" if you think everybody just gives 5/5 automatically. I fall into that "easily amused" category that the dude with the spongebob avatar mentioned, so I tend to lean toward giving something the highest rating until it gives me a reason not to. Most of this season I have given either a 3 or a 4, with three 5's, one 2, and one 1 (really a zero.)

Going into this episode all I could think about was how the show doesn't need another episode set in the future, but coming out of it, I'm thinking that perhaps there was room for one more. This was probably the best episode of the season so far. There were the obligatory jokes about the future, and I'm glad that they didn't play into it too far. It was a little distracting about how this was supposed to be 8 years in the future, and yet everything looks about 50 years more modern. Still, this episode was about story, and I was quite pleased with the story. Bart and Lisa's interaction was handled quite well (both in the present and in the future), and Homer and Marge's subplot was a nice distraction that didn't take anything away from the flow of the main story. I kept trying to pinpoint who was doing Bart's girlfriend's voice, and when I saw Amy Poehler's voice I was surprised, but in a pleasant way. It's nice to see the show get a special guest without overhyping it and instead working it in a character instead of a cameo. This episode had a great balance of humor, characterization, and story, and there were few faults in it. I give it a solid 4/5.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

No Pretense

2/5

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence
    I thought Mike Skully already made this thread.
    Yes, hidden deep in Voting Booth.

First off, let me say that I'm glad to see the director and voice actors actually took the effort of aging the characters' voices a bit, unlike the ridiculousness of Bart to the Future. Bart and Lisa's voices weren't aged much too much (perhaps because the writers didnn't want us to feel too detached from the main characters), but it was there, and it was great to see Milhouse and Nelson sound like teens. IMO, this is very important, since it makes these future episodes far more interesting and special.

I was glad to see that the episode was jam-packed with future jokes. While some might feel it was too much, too wacky, one of the problems I had with Bart to the Future was that there wasn't enough futuristic gags. Other than the gun / TV projector, there weren't really any clever jokes or twists about the future, just standard futuristic elements without any punchline. This episode, however, had everything: underwater houses with 3 hours decompression, cyborg cops with chicken cooking inside, absurd floating graduation caps, quantum tunnels, the malfunctioning hovercar, and so much more.

Best of all, the jokes didn't detract from the storyline. I loved how the writers balanced so many different little subplots and dynamics: Bart's relationship with Jenda, Bart actually seeming slightly impressed with Milhouse, the Bart/Lisa conflict, Milhouse almost winning Lisa over.

If there was anything I could complain about, it's that I would have liked to see a little more on Milhouse and Lisa dating. Also, not sure if I liked Smithers' "I like boobies". The straightness injection joke would have been fine without the line. Finally, not sure what to make of Homer and Marge being seperated; it added little to the episode. It seems like each futuristic episode incorporates the most cliched element of the show's era at the time into the subplot. In Bart to the Future, crazy Homer schemes were rampant, so the episode had a subplot of Homer searching for Lincoln's gold. In today's era, Marge and Homer fighting is the most used plot device, so this episode has a subplot of Homer and Marge breaking up.

Overall, very pleasant surprise; a burst of innovation, creativity, and cleverness that season 16 was in need for. Grade: A-

Nothin' wrong with that!

I liked this episode a lot, but I tend to like these episodes more when they are not described as 'an ALL-NEW Simpsons'. I don't know why, it's just that I don't really know what to expect, but when I casually watch it, it's for entertainment and not judging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    Yes, hidden deep in Voting Booth.
    I was glad to see that the episode was jam-packed with future jokes. While some might feel it was too much, too wacky, one of the problems I had with Bart to the Future was that there wasn't enough futuristic gags. Other than the gun / TV projector, there weren't really any clever jokes or twists about the future, just standard futuristic elements without any punchline.
    I've always felt the exact same way. Other then the gun the only thing I can even recall was Ralph and Bart deciding whether to take the hover or non-hover bus, based on how much money they had.....I was never entirely sure if that was even supposed to be a joke....
    Last edited by DotheBartman; 04-17-2005 at 09:23 PM.

Sigh . . . I never thought I would say this about a future episode, but . . . it was GREAT! All the jokes seemed reminiscent of old jokes like from the fifth or sixth seasons. Nothing was too over the top, and it had a Futurama reference! I guess the reason I never liked the future episodes were because they were to dumbjoked and not funny, but this one seriously under cut the dumbjokes and added hysterical remarks to each scene. I would say it was the best of the season, but there have been lots of good ones. I think the series is slowly returning to the show's prime quality in season's 5 - 7. YAY!

freedom. silence. always.

future episodes are way over done, and this is no exception. nothing but insane future magic wackiness (i swear that joke was simply to poke at themselves). tampa bay devil rays joke and special appearence by bender were the only things that really redeemed it

2/5

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    I've always felt the exact same way. Other then the gun the only thing I can even recall was Ralph and Bart deciding whether to take the hover or non-hover bus, based on how much money they had.....I was never entirely sure if that was even supposed to be a joke....
    I remember most of the jokes in that one, which were more verbal than observational:

Homer: This virtual fudge tastes like crap.
    Marge: Not half as good as cyber fudge.
    Homer: Oh what a bleak horrible future we live in!
    Bart: Don't you mean 'present'?
    Homer: Right right, present. Anyways, can I offer you some soylent green?

*Honestly, the above moment was so poorly written it makes me ill.

Bart: I can't believe 'smell ya later' replaced goodbye. (why would he just suddenly comment on this?)

- The ray cage surrounding the stage at Nelson's crab shack.
    - Rings around the Washington monument.
    - Negro league of Roller Ball
    - Lisa being the first straight female president.
    - The ocean needs refilling.
    - Rod and Todd are gay (although tonight's suggests Todd is not)
    - Flander's eyes have fallen out due to laser eye surgery.
    Signature.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    What was wrong with Bart's hair? I thought all the character were wonderfully designed.
    It looked like he had fingertips sticking out of his head.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    There was also the robotic prostrate, if that counts.

There were some other futuristic elements that were certainly there: the mail hologram, the protective shield of light, virtual fudge, "smell you later", but didn't even seem like jokes.

I should be clear that I haven't seen BTTF in years, so that's partially why I don't remember much from it.

But yeah, it had lots of those little things that weren't even really jokes, and were often too small to be interesting in the way that the futuristic changes need to be. The dialogue Tomacco posted makes me cringe as well....this episode had so many better gags as just offhand moments, let alone any of the bigger stuff.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Daftwager
    Yeah, I agree. If I came up with something like [Eric], I sure as hell wouldn't have the nerve to criticize this episode.
    It takes more chutzpah to add something to an established institution than reusing the same "futuristic" backdrop of the past two flash-forward episodes. And for the jazillionth time, Eric isn't part of the 'normal' show, he's meant for if the Simpson family was in second series.

(Seriously, I love ya, Jake, but you decided ahead of time not to like this episode no matter what, any time you do that you deserve the mockery you recieve.)
    Boo-hiss. I hated Large Marge before it aired because it was a vehicle for a bunch of "Look I've got a set of large boob!" jokes, so in my obnoixious opinion, it was a mistake from the start. Had the Lisa/Milhouse plot been set in a realistic future I'd have given this at least a "4". I actually liked the Bart and Jenda scene where they were debating having sex until the stupid robot-Wiggum arrived and ruined the moment with the absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    It takes more chutzpah to add something to an established institution than reusing the same "futuristic" backdrop of the past two flash-forward episodes. And for the jazillionth time, Eric isn't part of the 'normal' show, he's meant for if the Simpson family was in second series.

Boo-hiss. I hated Large Marge before it aired because it was a vehicle for a bunch of "Look I've got a set of large boob!" jokes, so in my obnoixious opinion, it was a mistake from the start. Had the Lisa/Milhouse plot been set in a realistic future I'd have given this at least a "4". I actually liked the Bart and Jenda scene where they were debating having sex until the stupid robot-Wiggum arrived and ruined the moment with the absurdity.
    Heh I think "Large Marge" and "Future-Drama" are two of the top 10 episodes of Jean's new era. Maybe someday I'll make a list of the 10.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    It looked like he had fingertips sticking out of his head.
    Bart's hair (from the promos) looked like the Joshua Jackson character from Lisa The Treehugger. This is the first time in 8 years I did not watch or tape an ep, and it was a good one. Blasted!

5/5. Stunning, incredible episode. Without a doubt, the best of the season, and was only a very little away from beating out Lisa's Wedding
    Season 25 Ratings
    Awful, probably

I thought this episode was excellent, definitely the best of the season, even moreso than Sleeping With the Enemy and Mommie Beerest. It was close to Lisa's Wedding, and as many people have said, I liked the Bender cameo even though I knew it was coming. 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000
    TiVo references...that's what made the episode.

Seriously, though, 5/5 people...your fandom is sinking into your skin a little too much. The first act, sans the present time part, was AWFUL! The two last acts had to do a lot to make it up.

I'm giving this a 4/5 for the fact that there was some stuff that made me laugh a lot. Not the supposed "great character development" or crap like that. It was little references, like, mentioned earlier, Homer living under the sea. And when I saw that, I thought of Homer: Bad Man, and I immediately started thinking about the days back in 2000-2002 when I just was getting into Simpsons and watched these classics religiously...

(those were the days!)

And I sighed. We've heard it a million, bajillion, whatever-you-can-name-it-billion times...the show's not good as it used to be. And we've heard it another million times, that doesn't mean the show should be ruined for you. But face it, 5/5 people, just because Scully "tainted the show forever, leaving a mark that can't be scrubbed off, and Al Jean is doing the best he can" doesn't mean we can still criticize. And when you seem you do...you have an anticipated episode and NEVER SEEM DISAPPOINTED. C'mon! There's dissappointment in the world! Please prove that to me! Jake was kind enough to express his disappointment---

Wait, wait, wait. I'm not gonna argue. I gave it a 4/5, they're gonna kill me about that. Besides, the real wait is for two weeks to see whether Seth MacFarlane still gives Family Guy spark. Though, even if it's the worst episode in the world, FG fanatics will cry about how wonderful it is. Is it me, or am I falling out of love with idea of fandom?

4/5

(watching Goo Goo Gai Pan right now...maybe it's the future aspect that bothered me about Future-Drama...or maybe it's because Bender appeared in it and realized the series he came from never stopped sucking-- I should stop now. I really, really should)....

We have a winner.

That being said, this was well the only episode of the Jean era that I actually give higher than a 3 beating out I am furious yellow.

I kinda wanted to see Bender get Homer back since in Futrama he never lets anyone own him the way Homer did. Although they did way to many future jokes even more so than Bart to the Future.

Just two weeks till the return of Family Guy! What everyone has really been waiting for..

Where's Your Messiah Now?

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    ...on a side note, I'm glad that Lisa and Milhouse didn't "get it on" in this ep....
    Oh thank God!

The Good:

- Bender! (Though he was looking a bit weird, it was still incredibly awesome)
    - Three-eyed whale
    - "Stupid Flounders"
    - Nelson's Baby's Haw-Hawing!
    - The animation (The design of the characters, scenery etc.)
    - Milhouse is the Incredible Hulk
    - "Nobody's Gay for Moleman"
    - Moe Clones
    - Martin's Robot (Though I found the Phantom of Opera gag in Lisa's Wedding much funnier)
    - TiVO Gags
    - "Flanders Revenge", and several other funny sight gags from the TiVo machine.
    - Homer's DVD Player Broken
    - The 80's Soundtrack

The Bad:
    - "Mars Bar" cut. I liked how the martians were based on the one from "Homer the Great"
    - Ralph high
    - Hardly any Maggie!
    - The Krusty the Clown thing was pretty pointless

The Ugly
    - Smithers taking an injection to "like boobies"
    - Edna K. has aged... a lot
    - Ralph still sounds like a 6 year old!

It was lots of fun seeing how things are in Sprinfield in the future, a thing that hasn't been exciting since Lisa's Wedding. There were lots of neat little suprises, heaps of sight gags and beautiful animation. Really impressed.

A

Where's Your Messiah Now?

Anyone got quotes or screenshots?

Thread Information