View Poll Results: How do you rate tonight's new episode?

Voters
503. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Why wasn't this hyped as the 350th episode?

214 42.54%
  • 4/5: Good, but I might need a FUTURE viewing to see if I really enjoy it. HA HA I SAID FUTURE

146 29.03%
  • 3/5: Meh. Okay, but the show should just stick to the present.

58 11.53%
  • 2/5: I miss Bender.

57 11.33%
  • 1/5: What a cruel future we live in! JANE! STOP THIS CRAZY EPISODE!

28 5.57%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: Future-Drama (GABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

4.5/5 This was awesome. Especially the Burns/Snake scene.
    gee whiz i'm dreaming my life away

Taking my talents to S. Beach Curtis's Avatar

Greatest episode in past five years loved it 10/10 A, The Bender thing was awesome.
    ¡Lee mi blog!
    Reinventing Revolution

I thought it was an awesome episode, I especially liked the part featuring Bender. I think this episode is the best of the season so far. 5/5

One problem that I've had with this episode and They Way We Weren't is that they weren't set a specific time.
    I think it's better this way, actually. Even without giving a year, both episodes worked. I think they're thinking not to use a set time because otherwise it would be screwed up more than it already is. Though of course, it's a cartoon, so it doesn't matter too much.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

pretty rad

Stream of consciousness:

I think the thing that really killed the feel of this episode was the fact that it was set only eight years in the future but had too much Futuramaesque gags. Could have been redeemed if they called attention to it, I guess... Bender in the episode was the greatest thing... The plot was good... The ending with the dead Frink was funny... Dumb throwaway lines: Yale/McDonalds, 51st state... Lisa's Wedding was better... too much topical humor in this one... Amy Poehler kinda wasted... John DiMaggio as well, but hell, that was still awesome... Yale "gal-gebra" joke was lame... Smithers' anti-gay medication was stupid... like I said, okay, but the Jetsony stuff kinda killed it (more Futurama references could have saved that aspect, tho)... I already said that... I can't wait to see Jake's post... gocubbies... could have been better.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Galalimit

I agree with the poll, why wasn't this hyped as the 350th episodes. It would've been great. Way better than Roofer.

huh?

B+

Solid episode, had me laughing most of the time. VP Cletus was my favorite part.

I thought the Larry Davis iPod Experience was gold. An iPod sitting on a chair. Funny thing is that this joke applies more to today's society than it probably will in 8 years.
    Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Could have been redeemed if they called attention to it
    Did you miss "We can do anything, now that scientists have invented magic"?
    Season rankings: 4, 7, 2, 3, 6, 5, 8, 15, 1, 16, 9, 14, 13, 17, 12, 10, 11

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Very funny at times (favorite joke "Contraception Overlook"), and Amy Poehler's voice performance was very good. And the Bender cameo worked.

4/5

And because I'm certain someone will ask about this, the name of the song playing during Bart and Homer's drive to Moe's was "I.G.Y. (What A Beautiful World)" by Donald Fagen.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Heh, drunk limo driver....god those animators are FAST:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ld_ride_prom_3

Anyway, my thoughts....you know I'm not too keen on these super-future jokes, but I'll only review this based on the three 'future' episodes: It's nowhere as good (storywise) as Lisa's Wedding, but it's better than Bart to the Future. In either case, that's not saying very much.

As for the future jokes, the only two I laughed at were the furry tail since, I think, it's a take off of the Yo Mama! joke: "Your mama's so ugly, that when she went in for plastic surgery they suggested adding a tail!". And the other was was Bender's "You two will be my new best friends!" which was followed by my shudders as he's tossed disrespectfully aside by his inferiors...

Other minor complaints: Bart's hair, and how some characters looked A LOT older than they should've, especially Snake and Willie.

Bottom line: Not as nausiating as Kill the Alligator and Run, but I have no desire to watch it again.

I voted 2/5 because I really miss Bender.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlimit
    I agree with the poll, why wasn't this hyped as the 350th episodes. It would've been great. Way better than Roofer.
    How do you know? "Don't Fear the Roofer" hasen't even aired yet.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    I thought the Larry Davis iPod Experience was gold. An iPod sitting on a chair. Funny thing is that this joke applies more to today's society than it probably will in 8 years.
    I thought that was the joke

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlimit
    Yes, it's way better then that episode... noone has seen yet...

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

The four-year Bachelor of Arts jab was fantastic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Jay
    I thought that was the joke
    Well, since it's in the future, it's supposed to mean "this will be the future". But DJ's are doing this now.

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

Wow, this episode put the faith back in me. Nice timing, no gratuitous violence, no cheap shots for jokes. Even if it was rather wacky and unrealistic for the show.

It wasnt overly stupid like most the episodes this season.

Though I didnt quite like the fact Homer and Marge divorced. At least they did get back together in the end, it just seemed...odd.

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

They obviously made this episode totally unbelievable on purpose. It's parodying other shows and movies that take place in the future.

For example, we were supposed to have flying cars like 20 years ago, and we're supposed to have the moon colonized by now.

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Bottom line: Not as nausiating as Kill the Alligator and Run, but I have no desire to watch it again.

Admit it, it was a lot better than you expected

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

Originally Posted by Tomacco
    Well, since it's in the future, it's supposed to mean "this will be the future". But DJ's are doing this now.
    And that's why I thought it was the joke, taking something that is happening today and saying that it's a thing of the future.

I thought of the marriage line in the same vein.

Heh, drunk limo driver....god those animators are FAST:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ld_ride_prom_3

Anyway, my thoughts....you know I'm not too keen on these super-future jokes, but I'll only review this based on the three 'future' episodes: It's nowhere as good (storywise) as Lisa's Wedding, but it's better than Bart to the Future. In either case, that's not saying very much.

As for the future jokes, the only two I laughed at were the furry tail since, I think, it's a take off of the Yo Mama! joke: "Your mama's so ugly, that when she went in for plastic surgery they suggested adding a tail!". And the other was was Bender's "You two will be my new best friends!" which was followed by my shudders as he's tossed disrespectfully aside by his inferiors...

Other minor complaints: Bart's hair, and how some characters looked A LOT older than they should've, especially Snake and Willie.

Well, let's face it, you couldn't vote any higher than a 2/5 without getting excessive taunts and "I told ya so's" from the rest of this place because of the case you made in the preview thread.

Curse those handsome devils

Did anyone notice that even though the episode was set 8 years in the future, they were playing 80's songs?

Thumbs Up

Well, THIS episode impressed the hell outta me!

Smithers finally finds a cure for his Burns obsession. Moe gets a clone. Nelson dates twins. Homer and Marge are SEPERATED! And Bart and Lisa have grown up. All a part of the crazy future yet to come.

The part of this episode that really touched me was the ending; Bart passed up the chance of a lifetime, I'll tell you that.

I can say now that "Future-Drama" surely lived up to its name, and is now the best episode of this season!

5/5

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

could anybody get me some pics of the couch gag? I'm a huge Transformers fan, and I cant remember who each of the family members was. I know Homer was Optimus Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    okay, but the Jetsony stuff kinda killed it (more Futurama references could have saved that aspect, tho.
    So, parodying a show which does Jetsony stuff instead of actually doing Jetsony stuff would have saved it? Perhaps they had all the Jetsony stuff to satire the Jetsony stuff in shows like Futurama?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelandsw
    Admit it, it was a lot better than you expected
    Yes, it was better than Bart to the Future so it doesn't have to be "a lot" better to be better.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

I'm proud of you Jake, you've made some real progress today. See you again in five years.

Edit: Uh oh, nevermind.

Galalimit

Quote Originally Posted by Red Right
    How do you know? "Don't Fear the Roofer" hasen't even aired yet.

Future Drama was the best episode in years. I seriously doubt Roofer will be better.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

My most anticipated episode of the season...

...ALMOST lived up to its potential. It wasn't quite as great as it could've been, but considering how this season hasn't really stood out one way or another, it was good to see something rather memorable.

One thing's for sure, Future-Drama was wacky as all heck. Most of it worked, though a few things (like Ralph's tripping out) were more "What the heck?" than actual gags. We had flying cars, flying clams, dancing robots, three-eyed sea monsters, and plenty of nice future gags. Speaking of which, I liked how the show had a slight future influence, but logically, it wasn't TOO high-tech (i.e., a poorly-flying hovercar, a hologram video recorder, the picture cake).

The characters were generally handled well. Teen Bart and Lisa were done in a logical (if non-outstanding) manner, and Milhouse and Nelson each had a nice twist to their character. Homer and Marge were essentially the same, but both had decent characterization, though I thought the reason they got back together didn't really make sense. We also get plenty of other characters, which is good to see. Most of the appearances are handled well, like Skinner, Willie, Apu, and Snake, while a few others don't hit quite as hard (Lenny and Carl). If there's one real disappointment here, it's the handling of Maggie. Good gag, but I think they could've done something more with it. One more thing--great work on getting John DiMaggio for this, but THEY KILLED BENDER!

The story was a nice down-to-earth plot like Lisa's Wedding, and it's paced extremely well. We jump right into the theme of the episode with Lisa and Bart fighting, then stumbling into Frink's office with the machine. The first act re-introduced the cast then ends with Bart's relationship problem; the second act details Bart's attempt to get the girl back by winning Lisa's scholarship, and the last act wraps it all up neatly. The future-within-a-future thing was a nice touch. No gripes here, and on a side note, I'm glad that Lisa and Milhouse didn't "get it on" in this ep.

Finally, the gags. Well, there sure were a ton of them, and some worked better than others. I loved Frink's "And Maggie" sign, the astrology bit, the photo cake, Bart wearing Homer's prom tux, Kearney's line, the baby Nelsons' "Haw-haw!", the cops laughing at Bart (with turkey), Bart looking into alternate futures (like "Moe gets email" and "Maggie with a DWI"), Homer's broken DVD player, Martin's robot exploding, Apu's kids, Snakes gun phone, Burns's line about coal now being valuable, Smithers loves boobies!, Homer's flying car with Bender, Krusty, Frink's death, Milhouse selling his marrow, the three eyed sea monster, and the sweet ending.

So all things considered, very good episode. It wasn't really the season-saver I was hoping for, but it's still one of the (if not THE) best this season. I'd like to see it again before deciding on the rating, but for now, either a B+ or an A-.

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

Yes, it was better than Bart to the Future so it doesn't have to be "a lot" better to be better.
    Where do you rank it in this season? I say It has to be close to the best this season.

one more thing, They used the same ending for act 2 as they did in Bart to the Future

This is what "Bart to the Future" should have been. It started right off with plenty of great jokes ("Nobody's gay for Moleman", "It's amazing all the things we can do now that scientists have invented magic", etc.). I notice they avoided the Maggie issue by having her not even in the episode, but at least they explained it. I liked Jenda's character - Amy Poehler really fit as a guest voice, and she set up the great "forehead" gag. The prom was hilarious, as were the appearances of Nelson, Sherri and Terri, Martin, and even Ralph's brief scene (I think it would have been funnier if he'd been more intelligent as a teenager). Bender's brief cameo was hysterical. But it wasn't just the jokes I liked - the story was very well-written. It had a natural flow and it all worked perfectly. I was especially pleased to see Homer and Marge's separation get resolved - I wouldn't want to go through the series thinking that they'd be apart someday. In all, it didn't quite top the emotional impact of "Lisa's Wedding", but it was still great. This episode fully lived up to my expectations - greatness all around.

5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Thread Information