• 1/5 - Cash advance

0 0%

Thread: Rate and Review: King of the Hill "Arlen City Bomber"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review: King of the Hill "Arlen City Bomber"

King of the Hill: "Arlen City Bomber"
    Written by Jonathan Collier
    Directed by Kyounghee Lim

Missed part of this episode so I will beg off comment. Kinda seemed like another "Psycho Peggy" episode from what I saw. Also not sure I get the point of the Tom Petty character except as an excuse to get Tom Petty's voice on the show. I did like that for almost the first time this season it was an episode that wasn't all about Hank.
    Last edited by arlen_texas; 03-27-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Good episode, I liked the Bobby/Lucky subplot. 4/5

As far as this season goes, I'd give this one a 4/5. In many ways it felt like "The Substitute Spanish Prisoner" to me, coupled with stuff from "Rich Hank, Poor Hank" and other finance-based episodes or subplots. The biggest issue here was just not enough laughs. I strongly think this year's biggest problem is becoming a lack of interesting storylines for the show's side characters. We have yet to have a Bill, Kahn or Boomhauer episode this season, and to be honest, I'm having a lot of trouble remembering if there has been a Bobby-centered one either, who usually brings Connie and Joseph in tow. I think these are important characters because they bring a freshness to the show that you don't get out of middle-aged suburban Texans dealing with house pets, insurance, timeshares, driver license issues, co-workers and lawn care.

Then again, another part of me is saying that KOTH may have just completely run its course. Although I'm a guy who believes that there's no such thing as running out of storylines, and every show can be saved or juiced up. Lucky as a recurring character is definitely helping, and I'm glad to see Luanne getting further emphasized this year too, since she had not really been prevalent in seasons 7 and 8 (or even too much since she moved out - which was nicely fixed in last year's best episode, "My Hair Lady").
    Signature.

I strongly think this year's biggest problem is becoming a lack of interesting storylines for the show's side characters. We have yet to have a Bill, Kahn or Boomhauer episode this season, and to be honest, I'm having a lot of trouble remembering if there has been a Bobby-centered one either, who usually brings Connie and Joseph in tow.
    I have to agree with you there, actually; to an unusual degree it seems like every episode this season (except for this one) is entirely or almost entirely about Hank. Sure he's the star of the show but they used to mix it up a little more, in that sometimes they'd do an episode where Peggy or Bobby was the star and Hank had more of an advisory role like he did tonight. Mike Judge has reportedly been more involved in picking the stories of late, so maybe this is the way he prefers it; I'm not sure.

Because of Fox's Futurama-style curtailing of the season, there are only about six episodes left this season (ten episodes will be left over to be shown next season; we'll have to wait and see how many "new" episodes Fox intends to order). The ones that are coming in the next couple of months include a John Redcorn episode, a Nancy Gribble episode, and a Bill episode, so maybe we'll get to see more of the supporting cast.

Incidentally I think the best episodes so far this season have been "Mutual of Omabwah" (didn't care for it on first viewing but really liked it when I saw it again) and "Dale to the Chief."
    Last edited by arlen_texas; 03-27-2005 at 05:49 PM.

this was a very mediocre episode. peggy fighting a corrupt boss and attempting to rally her fellow workers around the cost was slightly reminiscent of "joust like a woman." i was initially afraid that the episode was going to address the inability to manage a credit card ala "rich hank, poor hank" and beat a dead horse. it didn't, but the story itself simply didn't interest me. the subplot was pointless but lucky provided some laughs. lucky referring to peggy as "aunt peggy" was the biggest laugh for me ... which shows that this was a fairly weak episode. c+

i plan to watch it again. luanne focused episodes tend to grow on me. this could be the next "pigmalion" (which is an example of an episode i initially hated, but now love).

Stonecutter

It just felt like a dozen re-hashed plot twists jammed into one mundane plot (and the subplot just felt tacked-on.) In conclusion, C.

It was okay. Didn't really enjoy it, but it wasn't bad either. C+

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

4/5..........quite funny, but the stories really sagged..........especially the end of the roller skating one........

"These jobs are all racist against people without skills" - HA!

Thread Information