View Poll Results: what would u rate this?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

52 59.77%
  • 4/5

28 32.18%
  • 3/5

5 5.75%
  • 2/5

1 1.15%
  • 1/5

1 1.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R:R Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R:R Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song

i enjoyed this one alot.. One of the best on Season 5. 5/5 :thumbsup

5/5. Very best Skinner episode, very best 100th episode.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

4/5. Good, one of Skinner's better roles.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

This was a great episode and the best landmark of the series. 5/5.

back in black

A bit of a letdown for #100. I would've picked either "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" or "Lady Bouvier's Lover" instead. Still an OK episode; 3/5.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Pin Pal

A very funny episode, especially Apu's rambling about Jurrasic Park.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonByte
    A very funny episode, especially Apu's rambling about Jurrasic Park.
    ya that was hilarious! can some one give me what he said? thanks. :mexican:

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Peter
    A bit of a letdown for #100. I would've picked either "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" or "Lady Bouvier's Lover" instead.
    Agreed.

It's pretty good though, I gave it a 4/5 due to it's general funniness. Skinner's relationship with Agnes is pretty funny throughout.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Stonecutter

A* 5/5 Excellent 100th episode.

I used to think this episode was very overrated. But when I watched it the other day, I realized that it's actually very good. Skinner's character was done much better than Principal Charming.

Jimbo: We got Skinner's underpants!
    Dolph: And there's nothing you can do about it.
    Skinner: That's not true, I can buy another pair... (counts money) Oh no, wait, I can't. I needed those.

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by totempoll
    ya that was hilarious! can some one give me what he said? thanks. :mexican:
    Here you go. It should be about right...

BART
    Principal Skinner...um...I'm really sorry about my dog getting you fired. And biting you. And getting it on with your leg.

SKINNER
    Well, maybe it was for the best. Now I...I finally have time to do the thing I've always wanted...write the great American novel. Mine is about a furturistic theme park where dinosaurs are bought to live by advanced cloning techniques. I call it "Billy and the Clone-O-Saurus"

*Apu has been listening to this, and he is not impressed. If anything, he is rather angry*

APU
    Oh, you have "got" to be kidding me sir. First, you think of an idea that has already been done, and then you give it a title no one could possibly like. Didn't you even think this through...
    *LATER*
    ...was on the best-seller list for eighteen months! Every magazine cover had...
    *LATER STILL*
    ...most popular movies of all time sir! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! (Sees Skinner upset, and realises) I mean "thank you, come again".

Galalimit

It was one of season 5's better episodes. 4/5

Pin Pal

A really good episode, with a good storyline and good jokes, especially with Apu's ramblings about Jurassic Park (which is one of my favourite gags in the whole series).
    5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonByte
    Here you go. It should be about right...

BART
    Principal Skinner...um...I'm really sorry about my dog getting you fired. And biting you. And getting it on with your leg.

SKINNER
    Well, maybe it was for the best. Now I...I finally have time to do the thing I've always wanted...write the great American novel. Mine is about a furturistic theme park where dinosaurs are bought to live by advanced cloning techniques. I call it "Billy and the Clone-O-Saurus"

*Apu has been listening to this, and he is not impressed. If anything, he is rather angry*

APU
    Oh, you have "got" to be kidding me sir. First, you think of an idea that has already been done, and then you give it a title no one could possibly like. Didn't you even think this through...
    *LATER*
    ...was on the best-seller list for eighteen months! Every magazine cover had...
    *LATER STILL*
    ...most popular movies of all time sir! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! (Sees Skinner upset, and realises) I mean "thank you, come again".
    lol, thank you so much!
    haha i also liked the part were Bart and Skinner are at the resteraunt and the chef goes "It's Mr. Kuklabanza and the Ugly Kid." The next time when Bart goes by himslef he says "Its the Ugly Kid." and Barts face is a little amazed.
    Last edited by totempoll; 03-27-2005 at 08:15 AM.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

5/5. I always wanted to have my friend watch this show, and I showed him this one, he loved it, as do I

pretty funny episode and maybe the best story with Skinner for me.

B

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I just realized that this episode contains one of the most prophetic things ever said on the show.

Marge: How would you like it if 20 years from now people were laughing at things you did?
    Bart: Not likely.

The Skinner-Bart dynamic in this episode wasn't really affecting for me. Also the concept of Flanders becoming the School Principal could have been dealt with better.

I'm probably in the minority here, but it was an average season 5 episode.

3/5

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Drape 'er View Post
    The Skinner-Bart dynamic in this episode wasn't really affecting for me.
    3/5
    The opposite in fact. I always like an episode like this in which Bart and Skinner show sympathy for each other. (eg. The Principal and The Pauper)

The definitive Seymour Skinner which really helps us delve more into this character's back story and explore his relationship to Bart. Memorable setpiece with SLH, entertaining story, and an excellent conclusion to the story that makes the events that unfolded feel worthwhile without committing itself to changing the whole Bart-Skinner shtick done up to that point. And it's quite funny to boot. 5/5 (A)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

i'll always be of the opinion that this episode is some kind of genius; Skinner is one of the most oddly complicated, atypical characters i've ever seen on television, and the gags he's involved in are usually the most character-specific in the series. there are few characters the writers seem to love throwing into new relationships with other characters, Edna, Chalmers, Agnes, and his relationship with Bart is so strangely multilayered, an obligatory opposition rooted in abstract societal roles that fades into a friendship once they realize that they're not really all that different from each other in certain ways, Skinner every bit a kid due to his maternal insecurities as Bart, even in spite of his seemingly contradictory authoritarianism and war experience, but even those all contribute to his social maladjustment and are synthesized in such expert ways (old-fashioned properness doesn't seem to mix with tortured Vietnam veteran until you realize that both of these attributes have in common the theme of a near-extinct type of person whom the world has largely passed by), and he's so hard not to feel sympathy for and the whole episode is like some kind of lesson in empathy. Skinner is seriously one of my favorite characters; hell i could never call him Principal Skinner the way you say Chief Wiggum, he's Skinner because he's such a complex character that it's a disservice to him to assign him by his job title.

episode is A+++++++++

4/5. Skinner at his best in this episode.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Any episode that contains a face-off between Maggie and Gerald is a good one.

Blog Entries

Wow, underrated as hell. 5/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

strong A-

this was one of my favourites when I was younger but consequently I've seen it way too much so it has sorta soured with me. That said I still love how Skinner and Bart are portrayed; in fact this episode has to be one of the most well written ever. scrapes a 5/5 due to me seeing it too much but it definitely deserves it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Drape 'er View Post
    The Skinner-Bart dynamic in this episode wasn't really affecting for me. Also the concept of Flanders becoming the School Principal could have been dealt with better.

I'm probably in the minority here, but it was an average season 5 episode.

3/5
    Wow, I hope you've matured since then

5/5, 10/10 and A+ for me, LOVED the Bart/Skinner dynamics in this episode.

Blog Entries

A++
    Seymour Skinner- one of my favorite character. I like episodes with him.
    Also in episode a lot of funny jokes, the best- with Skinner&Apu
    Brilliantly 100th episode
    My Top 50

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song

Our milestone journey continues with the 100th episode; which contains the infamous chalkboard gag that continues to be quoted today; "I will not celebrate meaningless milestones.", though in this case I am one of the guilty ones who are celebrating milestones since I am reviewing all of the milestone episodes before the 500th one.

Seymour Skinner has always been an interesting fellow; while we all know him as being the principal at Springfield Elementary, there have always been layers to him we don't know about, layers that we could only think about. There have been times where some of those layers have been revealed "Principal Charming" but his character has remained somewhat of a mystery; until now.

This episode is the first time the spotlight has shined on Principal Skinner and with the spotlight on him you expect his plot to be masterful; and it is. Focusing on Principal Skinner and his somewhat mundane life is what makes this episode interesting, just to see what he does outside of the school when he's not the principal. They could stop at that and the episode would still be good but they also added some of Skinner's hobbies/ambitions and even one of his previous occupations; some of which may or may not have been revealed before but this episode does reveal a lot of the stuff we haven't seen in Skinner before; just seeing Skinner conduct to music adds a lot to his character, hell; him in the Army (and even rejoining the Army) adds a lot to his character as well. This stuff would define Skinner's character through the good times, the bad times and the pathetic times but no matter what happened, Skinner's character remained the same. Almost...

Of course, it wouldn't be a Simpsons episode if one of the Simpsons weren't there and that's where Bart appears; to plug a hole in the best possible way. The person who came up with the idea of Bart and Skinner being friends should be commended as it's a really, really good idea; and the writer who wrote this episode should also be commended for making it so freaking amazing. Seeing Bart and Skinner being friends on screen is both interesting and extremely satisfactory and the stuff that they do together is eerily familiar (go to Dinner, have a Barbeque, etc.), the progression leading up to the way they become friends is slow, believable and not abrupt; in fact this is how I believe two enemies becoming friends would happen in real life, nice job nailing it over the head.

The character of Bart is done in a way that exploits his characteristics as well as his charm and appeal. He doesn't do a lot of pranks in the episode but he doesn't have to; here he's just being an 8 year old that anybody can relate to and here he's doing stuff that any 8 year old would do, like bringing a dog to school for Show & Tell. Even though he doesn't do alot of pranks, the writers still manage to bring up their rivalry at the right times, even ultimately proving at the end that he needs Skinner as a nemesis. The character's actions when it comes to the feelings he has is nicely portrayed, relevant to all types of actions and still manages to showcase some form of Bartism that we've seen before; and the best part is, it's played out very well. Nancy Cartwright delivers some of the best performances she will ever do as Bart; managing to switch between guilt, general 8 year old enthusiasm, happiness and sentimentalism effortlessly. Not only that but she manages sounds like an 8 year old kid for the whole episode, only furthering that illusion. Nancy deserves a gold star for her work in this episode.

As I said before, this episode contains a lot of firsts for the character of Skinner; alot of characters and moments relevant to his character seem to be fully introduced. (though they may have appeared in previous episodes) For instance, this is the first time Skinner's Mother Agnes is introduced, with a radically different personality no less; this first introduction of Agnes shows us a something about Skinner we've never seen before, something which is built up to quite nicely. Additionally, his reveal of his Army record also adds a sense to patriotism to his character; while the reasoning isn't 100% clear, it's still a nice add nonetheless. Additionally, the character of Luigi Risotto is introduced in this episode; his original role as a one shot character was justified here but the writers of the show had to include him in more scenes then ever before, destroying some of the appeal that he originally had; even that one-eyed eyebrow baby is introduced in this episode. (though Gerald may have appeared in previous episodes before.) So this episode is not only known for having a good Skinner/Bart story, but it's also known for introducing a lot of elements that exist today; some of them regretful, some of them good.

There are even some good character shows by people who aren't Bart and Skinner. Case in point Chalmers gets some character growth in a way that's better then what we've seen in "Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelt's", even adding some commentary that's as realistic as it is ironic. Ned Flanders as the principal was done well and his style contrasted with the school which added to the stuff they had going on for the school. It's may have not gotten the focus that I'd like but it does provide a decent contrast/it is fun to watch and seeing the laid back chaotic situation at hand is very good indeed. The writers also use the school as something that ties Skinner's character down, the scenes involving them both just add to the episode as a whole; and that's very, very good. Lisa's few lines in the episode are also good, so is Homer's who I've just noticed barely speaks in the episode.

Despite the focus on Bart and Skinner and their friendship, there is still some room for jokes/homages/parodies and a lot of them land. Leopold is a one off character who's main purpose is to yell but he delivers great fake out gags and proves a great homage to those movies of old where a tough guy is yelling at them and everybody is scared; that alone shows an example of the humor that The Simpsons used to possess. Alot of the jokes in this episode do seem to be fake-out gags but they're done in such a good way that I don't mind. Additionally, a faithful homage to the movie Aliens is snuck into the episode in a way that is both subtle and obvious; and as a bonus leads to a one two joke that's as funny as it is incredibly decent. The usual dialog jokes/satire/visual gags are there, all of them impressing as usual; and there are even some gags that have an obvious setup and punchline. There's even a Marge joke early on that seems as odd as it does funny. So despite the focus, all forms of humor are represented here.

So yeah. Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song is a excellent episode and a wonderful milestone for the show. Bart and Skinner work like peanut butter and jelly, the plot moves along at a brisk and satisfying pace, the moments that add to his character are vital and satisfying and the jokes/moments here are just funny; adding to that is the fact that alot of firsts are established in this episode, the animation is good, it has a sweet vibe throughout and it just grows Skinner as a character who's not just the principal of a school. So it's not only excellent but it's also involving as well. This episode was entertaining throughout and it's inclusion in many of the Top 100 Simspons episode list is justified. I think it's obvious what you need to do.

10/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's one of my favorites for sure, and very worthy of being episode 100.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Bland.

Thread Information