• 2/5

18 9.89%
  • 1/5

16 8.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Simpsons Spinoff Showcase

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review: Simpsons Spinoff Showcase

A showcase of 70's style parodies. Too bad they didn't make another one like this.

5/5

Too bad they made a first one like this. 1/5. It's really lame and the only decent joke is "Chief Wiggum will return... right now.".

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

A real bomb. I'm glad they didn't do any more like this. I quite liked Chief Wiggum P.I. to a point, but the other two are so excruciatingly bad it made me forget the good stuff in the first. I don't care that they were parodying anything - this episode just should not have happened. D-.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

2/3 I liked it all except the last skit.... Which was horrible. So that's why I can't rank it out of 5, it's going to have to be 2/3 I liked 66% of it.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

It was a good idea but it failed miserably. 2/5.

What Butters said.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

jennifer

/
    Last edited by jennifer; 08-01-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Stonecutter

I don't like it very much. It's very strange and quite pointless, too. 2/5

I loved this episode, I really don't understand why people don't like it. The first act was funny, the second one was ok, but the third act was one of the best segments I've ever seen. This episode also gets graded up as being the first one that I can remember seeing in Primetime. A-

back in black

I actually like this episode as well. They were able to effectively parody three other types of TV shows quite well. This one gets a 4/5, not a 5/5, because the third segment was a parody of an awful show (Brady Bunch Variety Hour) and the result wasn't able to mask the awfulness of the original entirely.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Pin Pal

-5......000000000000000000000000000 *gasp* 0000000000000000000000 (are you still reading this?) 00000000000000000!!!!!!!!!

Worst. Simpsons episode.....EVER!
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

4. A solid celebration/damnation of TV cheese.

Long ago forgotten... Fallin2hell's Avatar

I really hate this episode. As Paul said, it was a good idea but it failed miserably. One of the few that I will never watch again. 1/5

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

I saw it again last night...it's probably been 4-5 years since I previously watched it. I don't understand the hatred, 'cuz I thought it was pretty damn funny. The "Variety Hour" sketch dropped off a little, but the "Gazoo" reference afterward sent the episode off on a high note.

Plus, I gots nothin' against Troy McClure...

4/5 overall
    Last edited by Samuel L Bronkowitz; 06-07-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Banned

I'm not going to rate it all together but I'll rate them by segment-to segment.

Chief Wiggum P.I.
    Now, when this episode first aired, I never grew fond of this. Up until now that is. It is a very funny segment and very memroble. B

The Love-Matic Grampa
    Now this was my favourite one. Still very funny and great parodies, but also great animation and brilliant theme song! B+

The Simpsons Smile-Time Variety Hour
    Now, first let me tell you the only bits I liked, Jasper doing the "#Lollipop, Loillipop, Lollipop, Ohhhhhhhh, Lollipop.# *pops cheek then his teeth fall out* Oh, nuts." scene, that was hilarious and he beginning was alright too, but the rest of it I just can't tolerate. I hate the stupid squirrel sketch (and the b****y "Dam Sweet Dam" sign in the "house"), I hate the dumb little girl who replaced Lisa ("I WANT CANDY!"- SHUT IT!), I hated the stupid little guest star that we never heard of in an entire millennium I HATED MOST OF IT! It was just, just, BAD. D

That's my opinions...

I had this down as an F til I rewatched it and it got a B+

It's not an episode to watch over and over again, and I think it's one to admire rather than to love, but it is spot on.

Everyone complaining that it's awful - IT'S MEANT TO BE! That's why it's so funny! Every cliche, bad joke, forced setup,piece of expository dialogue, cheesy line or camera angle is done for a reason. I actually love the last segment, it's a fantastic parody of all those variety shows. I can only presume everyone who hates it, like I used to, just missed the point and judged it as an episode of The Simpsons, which it is not. Even the worst episode of The Simpsons isn't as badly written as the 22 minutes we have here, which is of course the point.

HIGHLIGHT : Smither's whipping :laugh:

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    Everyone complaining that it's awful - IT'S MEANT TO BE! That's why it's so funny! Every cliche, bad joke, forced setup,piece of expository dialogue, cheesy line or camera angle is done for a reason. I actually love the last segment, it's a fantastic parody of all those variety shows. I can only presume everyone who hates it, like I used to, just missed the point and judged it as an episode of The Simpsons, which it is not. Even the worst episode of The Simpsons isn't as badly written as the 22 minutes we have here, which is of course the point.
    Reading through these comments, I was becoming a bit distressed at seing that only Larson Somebody seems to have caught on to the whole damn point of the episode, at least in the thread. I mean, you'd have to be a total idiot to watch the beaver segment, and not realise that it was intentionally bad. Maybe they did, maybe they just didn't appreaciate it. As has been said though, an extravagant celebration of all things cheesy, celebrated in a cheesy spoofy type of way in a cheesily entertaining fashion. Some classic lines amongst the chees, cheesy dialogue and cheesy, cheesy scenes, particularly the "SWEET SWEET CANDY!" line. Kudos to the songwriting and some of the more subtle things. The Saturday Night Live style lighting in the Smithers sketch, the horribly hokey music, the sound effect when Snyder bangs his watchamacallit. Lots of nice touches.

8/10
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Blog Entries

I think it was hilarious.

I agree with Veryjammy and understood how intentionally ridiculous it was, but, unlike him, I thought it was still unfunny save the first act and snippets from the other two. C+

It's like swallowing Draino

Umm, well if you expected it to be corny and ill-plotted like a real spinoff (things like Frasier or Laverne and Shirley are the exception, not the rule), then man, this episode delivered. If you came expected to be entertained, like really entertained, then it was a bit of a stinker.

I'm one of those bad TV lovers, though, so I liked it. Ecspecially that part with Smithers *cough* who's obsessive?*cough cough*.
    So...

3.5/5 for bad TV enthusiasts

1.5/5 for everyone else

Averaged:2.5...do I round up or down?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Tougher! Rougher! Badder! I Love Lisa's Avatar

This was terrible save for some bits in Chief Wiggum P.I and the candy song in the last bit.
    2/5

A great off the wall episode. Taking time off from regular shows to play with the formula, I love it! 5/5

I loved this episode when I first saw it and I still do. If you take it a bit too literally then you miss the fun of the episode. You do to an extent need knowledge of whats being parodied to enjoy it so I can see why many don't quite catch onto it. The second and most especially third segment particularly, the first one can stand on its own a little more but even then...knowing what its parodying helps enhance the experience or something.

Some other reasons I liked it were because...

-It was a great opportunity to let some of the secondaries run the show for an episode with minimal involvement from the Simpsons, even if they are just playing out "parts" they're still doing it the only way that particular character can.

-I think the first one was best. Not only because of the above reason, but also because if you just let go for a bit its a really fun little segment. I think in terms of overall quality and stuff to work with Wiggum's one of the best characters on the show so on his own merit he can easilly hold something together. But the very idea of Skinner being a street hustler is bizzarely hilarious to me just by itself. And Big Daddy was such a funny parody of over the top cop show bad guys, but also he himself was pretty funny. He's honestly a character I wouldn't mind making a surprise cameo appearance "outside" of that show in the normal show. Not anything over the top, that'd be ridiculous but just like...a minute even. Some of the animation and scenery was pretty good in that segment.

-The second segment I think requires a little more personal experience with what it was parodying, sitcoms with canned laughter based around a really over the top premise. They used to have quite a few of these in the 80's, like Small Wonder. It kind of leans on it in fact, but Moe's great and its always fun to see him do stuff on his own. Grampa in a machine...is so ludicrous its funny to me. The little jokes they pulled with doing things to the Love-machine were funny too, like it being beaten up in the bathroom.

And even if you don't like it, you have to admit the theme song is catchy.

-I'm so and so with the third act. You basically have to know exactly what its parodying (This ep is kind of like degrees. First one is more general, second one needs a little more prior knowledge, and this one you have to know what the Brady Bunch Reuinion is. It becomes less and less general.) to get the joke. I thought the overall idea was just depressing as hell so it kind of brought it down, but if you just let go for a bit...even more so than usual it has its moments.

A good friend of mine that I lent the Season 8 dvd to noted that she thought the third part was kind of funny, but it sort of feels too different from the other two in terms of overall style and humor. We think it would of been better if they went with another segment using a secondary in a more general parodied premise like the other two instead of directly parodying one particular show using the titular characters we already see much of. Part of the fun she thought of these parody stories is they took characters we don't see as often as the Simpsons and put them in really funny premises of their own. Spinoffs really, the third one didn't feel quite like a spinoff but more of a parody of the main show itself. Or poke at it rather.

Heh, if the third segment had starred Apu we would of had Hank Azaria: The Spinoff. :silly:

All and all though I love this episode. Its ridiculous, but it establishes itself as that pretty well and thats the fun of it to me.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've always thought it's a pretty good episode and there are good jokes among the bad ones and bad jokes that are good because they are laughing at them. Probably the second story gets a little old in rewatching, but the other two are strong and probably funnier every time you see it. B+ Best three segment episode, followed by Xmas Stories probably.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

I'd give it 4/5, this was fun episode. A lot of good jokes and not too many bad ones either.

Yeah Um I'm Ah Wondering! Jimbo77's Avatar

3/5

It had some ok parts but it was the same jokes over and over how in sitcoms people laugh at the stupidest jokes, or gasp at surprises or say awwww when something does somthing cute

but still it was ok

lol Licorice whip is so annoying

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

One of my lesser favorites of season 8, liked the first 2 acts and Troy McClure as the host, the final act was a bit on the dumb side
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Junior Camper Dr. Nguyen Van Thoc's Avatar

Sucked
    Mr. Hutz, do you know that you're not wearing any pants?

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

How profound.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I have no problem with this episode,it's so fun to watch. The 2nd story about Moe&Grampa is hilarious. The first part is also pretty good. The last one could be better,though. Many good stuff here. 4/5
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Thread Information