7 4.83%
  • 1/5

4 2.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Lisa the Skeptic

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate and Review: Lisa the Skeptic

A whacky episode, which was a litte odd. Though for me it was fun and enjoyable.A-/B+

Come on England! The lesson is never try's Avatar

5/5 i love the episode, its ine of my favourite episodes.

Dr. Bartley

5/5 what a great episode Lisa and Marge were great!

Homer: Get Your Angel Glow-Sticks you can't get into heaven without a glowstick
    Ned: i'll take four

Long ago forgotten... Fallin2hell's Avatar

I really didn't like this episode. If there is a character I hate more than Jerkass Homer, its Jerkass Lisa. D

Stonecutter

This episode didn't do much for me. It was too strange. One of the worst Lisa episodes. 2/5

3/5. Not the worst episode, but nowhere near the best.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not bad. I think Lisa and Marge were ok. Homer was more or less funny, although a little over the top. The idea of the episode is at the same time original and weird. Some ideas seem to be repeated after Bart's Comet. 3,8/5 or so

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think its An episode that could have been a lot better, Homer and Lisa can be pretty annoying at times, its not such a problem with Homer, but Lisa for much of the episode it seems has become pretty much an atheist and for some reason belittles others.
    Much of the episode does a pretty good job satrically although the Springfield mob mentality feels a little formulaic and exaggerated.
    The typical scullyish twist at the end works out a lot better than in later episodes because there's at least a belivable set up for it in the beginning.
    Its an episode that could have been brilliant if it was in an earlier season.
    B

I still don't know what to think of this episode. There are some great jokes throughout the episode. However, much of it is too preachy and the ending falls short. I did like the conversation like Lisa and Marge at the end, but something was missing from this episode. B

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

2/5
    one of my least favorite episodes

Deutschland Uber Alles!! wee raging wilie's Avatar

4/5 a very enjoyable episode.

Too me it has to be one of my favorite Lisa episodes. I agree Lisa is a jerk in the episode, but still it was pretty cool. I give this episode a 5/5 ...

I used to like this a lot more. A couple months ago I watched this and some other season nine episodes and they actually made me kind of thankful for the quality of the Jean seasons. This episode has a lot of genuinely funny (and even hilarious) moments, but some of the satire (while often decent) gets too heavy handed and preachy. Its just too obvious what the opinions the main writers on this one have about religion are, and there was little balance aside from a somewhat half-assed ending. Worsely, Lisa's characterization really treads some very poor ground, as this episode first officially turns her into the irritating "PC Thug" character she remained as through the following three seasons. Funny enough, and was worth the rewatch after not seeing it for so long, but far from classic. B/B-
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

3.5 out of 5, voted 4.

It's pretty good. Homer capitalizing on the angel was pretty funny, as was the rest of the episode. But Lisa was way too abrasive in this episode, even though I agree with her point of view.

In Lisa the Iconoclast, she had physical evidence to assert her claim, whereas in Lisa the Skeptic, she was actually right, but she took a dump on a lot of people's beliefs, eg Marge's.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Galalimit

Deleted
    Last edited by Galalimit; 04-04-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Replying late to this one... to me (and I felt this way the first time I watched the episode) the big problem with this as an "issue" episode is that the issue itself is posed in a phony way. It's supposed to be about science vs. religion, but the problem is that the "religion" part of it is literally wrong -- that is, angels are supposed to be non-corporeal so according to religious teaching they wouldn't have skeletons. I always wanted to see Flanders or Reverend Lovejoy or something say he agrees with Lisa on purely religious grounds.

Just hook it to my veins!

My fave part was at the end, Burn's face after Smithers reassures him that the kiss was strictly professional, and he goes, "Yes, yes of course..." but then he leers at him with one eye squinted. Priceless!

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons Forever!
    This episode didn't do much for me. It was too strange. One of the worst Lisa episodes. 2/5
    I agree with this statement. If Lisa were characterized well it could've been 4/5, but she wasn't. I think some rewriting, especially for Lisa, would help. A below average episode - 2/5
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Stonecutter

I thought it was another "on-the-fence" episode, like most of the early Scully era. Even though I consider Season 9 a "half-glory" year, many episodes seemed "flat", which is completely shifted in style when the latter Scully era is "wacky". It does have a Phil Hartman appearance, which is enough to improve an episode, if not save it. Grade: B

C or 3/5 because this episode the plot was a bit wacky and well Lisa was a bit of a jerk. And the ending "this is the end of .... High prices" was below average for an ending. But the problem here is that this episode is just a bland episode. The good things were that Homer was quite funny on capitalizing the angel and Marge was not annoying.

"Everybody knows that leprachauns are extinct".

5/5

Doha Development Agenda

For me, this is one of the best episodes of the Simpsons I've ever watched.

Even though Lisa was kind of mean at times, but the plot overall was good and I loved the plot twist.

Why you so stupid, stupid? Willmak5389's Avatar

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. --Phil. 4:13
    myspace♠ also... Facebook!and...A Wiki-page!

Lionel Hutz with the empty briefcase was hilarious.

also. . . "Prinstimple Stimpler, I found something!!!"

a really good episode with a good sense of humor imo.
    Had some funny moments and a good story.
    I also really like Lisa as main character in this story.

4/5

Blog Entries

Great episode. Loved it since I first saw it. It's not the best season 9 episode but it comes close.

4.5/5

4/5, good episode, one of the best of Season 9.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Tougher! Rougher! Badder! I Love Lisa's Avatar

I really like it.Lisa was a bit of a jerk throughout the episode, ignoring what everyone else thought and labeling them as idiots for not accepting her view seemed wrong for her character. Especially after not telling everyone the truth about Jebediah in Lisa The Iconoclast because she could see the good brought by the myth. You'd think that she'd also allow people to believe what they will about the supposed angel. But other than that dodgy Lisa characterisation it was very enjoyable stuff. A-

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is one of my favorites from season 9. I can't think of anything really bad on this, not even Lisa's characterization.

When I registered here I thought, because of the comments of Cartoonnetwork (who I knew from another forum), that this episode was pretty more hated or, at least, that there was a greater controversy about it. For the time being, I haven't found too much material that shows it, but there is a general view of Lisa's portrayal here as a jerk.

That is the point where I strongly disagree with almost all. Not only Lisa felt enough real for me, this episode features as well a top5 characterization for her. I love the mixing between the intellectual superiority and the genuinely eight-year-old behaviour. She knows, but that doesn't make her able to transmit her knowledge without sounding too radical. There is a similar performance at Lisa The Vegetarian: she mistreats Homer and expresses repugnance at his ideas and acts, but that is what makes her feel real. No doubt she is the main moral value of the series, but that doesn't prevent her to have difficulty in being respectful with the other ones.
    Anyway, there is a strong reason for her radical attitude, and it's that she knows that the springfieldians who face her have not really positive feelings at believing that the fossil is actually an angel. They act as a furious crowd, and their beliefs don't work for more than a lot of merchandising from the sharp Homer. It's easy to compare with Lisa The Iconoclast, but in the season 7 episode she found that the people felt happy believing in the lie.

A probable cause for the dislike for Lisa here is the approach at this episode as a usual "science vs religion". I think it's wrong, and simplistic. If, as arlen-texas said, the beliefs in a corporeal angel are actually ridiculous in the christianity context, it means that the episode is not attacking the religion. And I personally find the idea more approximate to the classic satire about the easily-influenced masses (remember that everything starts when someone says that the fossil is an angel and all the springfieldians follow him).

That said, the episode is characterized by being always funny and enjoyable, with a great guest appearance and hilarious dialogues and situations (Homer is specially amusing here). The script is brilliant, though Lisa is sometimes inconsiderate towards Marge. But all of it is handled with naturalness, showing her empathy defects along with her unquestionable rational qualities. The ending is perfect, in a way that I miss strongly in the newer episodes. I love the ambiguity provided by Lisa's reflex, showing that she ended up believing for one second in the angel's theory. And the conversation between Marge and her is cute and a nice interaction to finish the episode.

10/10. Great writing, great gags, and great characterization. The show was still classic in that period.
    Last edited by jal90; 04-10-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't enjoy this episode. I actually regret voting 4/5 in the poll. Not only is Lisa annoying, but she's also a jerk, like when she called people morons for not sharing her beliefs. However, This episode pretty good laughs throughout that save it from getting a 2/5.

Overall: A generous 3/5

Thread Information