View Poll Results: Rate it!

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

25 10.78%
  • 5/5- Great episode though I still wish it didnt exsist.

42 18.10%
  • 4/5

50 21.55%
  • 3/5

60 25.86%
  • 2/5

29 12.50%
  • 1/5

26 11.21%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: The Principal and the Pauper

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate and Review: The Principal and the Pauper

Great ep. I think if you can get your head around the fact that Skinner wasn't really a principal you can enjoy this. I think I mostly can. I sometimes wonder if it should of existed, and if I had the choice I probably would get rid of it. Though that's not saying it's a bad episode. If this was ever going to pull off it had to be done in the right way and it was. I found it to be an intresting story with some good laughs. I found the ending very good as well.

So overall despite I'd rather it hadn't existed, I still found it enjoyable. A-

Hope this makes sense!

Edit: I was meant to put 4/5 "great episode but still wish it didnt exsist" and 4/5 rather than that than 5/5. Oh well.
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 08-13-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

1/5
    they must have been really struggling to find new show ideas
    i like to pretend this doesnt exsist

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

It's not funny. I could care less about continuity if it was funny, but it wasn't. And isn't. (D+)

Not hugley terrible, but not good...it pissed me off at first.

C/C-

2/5. Meh. A bit desperate, they sound.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

A pretty funny episode, but still shouldn't exist. 3/5

1/5, they destroyed a character for the sake of a weak episode that lacked laughs, depth or plot.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, excuse me but I think it was funny as hell. But I do care about continuity. This would probably sound silly but my biggest issue with the episode is that Principal Skinner is not called Skinner. I didn't care so much about him being a street criminal when he was young (it made some sense for me, he grew up to became the opposite). Also I didn't matter so much that Agnes wasn't really her mother if she still played that role and Skinner (or Tanzarian) still behaved as his son. And like somebody said in these forums before this show is probably the only one centred in Agnes, making her a little more interesting than she usually is.

I guess I wish the episode didn't exist but looking at it like an individual show the only fault I find is the ending, which seemed quite forced (although there have been much more contrived endings since that one in the show).

By the way, if you are one of the writers of the show and you know some of the staff hate this episode and some fans hate it and you want them to forget about it it´s not bad if you pretend it never existed. But then making a self reference joke in I Doh Bot about Skinner being called Tanzarian when everybody is begginning to forget about it doesn´t seem like a good idea. Although you are really evil and you want to confuse your fans.

4/5

back in black

I don't consider The Principal and the Pauper to be a bad episode at all, besides the obvious continuity errors. My favourite parts of the episode are Lisa and Ralph's LOL presentation on Skinner, pretty much every joke about how the old Skinner isn't actually Skinner, Skinner's struggling relation with Edna ("That's the kind of talk that makes me want to marry you, but instead I'm leaving town forever"), Skinner advertising topless nudes, and Homer's "And we salute you for it. Now don't come back!" And most of all, Bart's "Hey Armin" line he says when he sees Skinner in a sleeping bag in his office. It's just so funny, he remembered his real name faster than this huge Simpsons fan - I guess I'm used to him being called "Skinner" by Chalmers and others so much I couldn't remember it.

Still, the "obvious continuity error" part of it leaves the episode essentially useless. I'll have to go with the "5/5 - Great episode but I still wish it didn't exist" option.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Premise F
    Execution A
    So real grade C+

Funny episode and good for what it is, too bad the premise was so bad that I couldn’t boost this grade.

Stonecutter

Pretty bad episode, the story was dreadful, but some jokes were alright. 2/5 D

Terrible, but has a few ok parts, making it a 2/5 for me...
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

5/5, part deux. I think it's pretty funny and from the end of the classic era.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Pin Pal

I don't find anything wrong with it...its just a bit silly. 5/5 for me, but I do kinda wish it hadn't existed.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

B-, I gave it 3/5 here so Drunk Barney didn't tell me off for using my system.

OK, but I don't see why they couldn't have a good name - Armin Tanzarian what the hell is that? Also in a more recent ep, Lisa goes "Right, Principal Tanzarian" and she isn't sentenced to torture

If Hydro posts in here, I completely agree with him.

No, seriously, I do...

2nd 5/5. great episode, funny from beginning to end. but they destroyed one of only a few chracters who had integrity

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by homer228
    B-, I gave it 3/5 here so Drunk Barney didn't tell me off for using my system.

OK, but I don't see why they couldn't have a good name - Armin Tanzarian what the hell is that? Also in a more recent ep, Lisa goes "Right, Principal Tanzarian" and she isn't sentenced to torture
    Like all crimes, the only way you can be found guilty and punished is if you get caught.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

4/5. Despite the continuity flaws it was hilariously funny and had great execution throughout. Definitely underrated.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

I derived roughly the same amount of enjoyment and laughter from this episode as I did from Kill the Alligator And Run.

It's like Godfather III; even the creators deny its artistic merit.

Grade: D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully

It's like Godfather III; even the creators deny its artistic merit.
    Heh, wow, is that true? I watched Godfather III recently and found it pretty underwhelming for sure, but I actually had no idea they'd denounced it themselves. Well, aside from Mantegna via Fat Tony ("I haven't cried like this since I paid to see Godfather III").

Anyways, yeah, terrible episode. The continuity can be ignored, but its a terrible concept and feels like I'm watching some soap opera version of The Simpsons where conflicts come out of nowhere and there's a joke once every five minutes (ya know, like most fan fiction). The creators have been right to apologize for it. D
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

All I can say is I've made my case, and if I didn't convince people then it is surely due entirely to my own rhetorical deficiencies.
    Season rankings: 4, 7, 2, 3, 6, 5, 8, 15, 1, 16, 9, 14, 13, 17, 12, 10, 11

Stonecutter

I could just stereotypically say its "one of the worst episodes", but it's better than that. The premise is prophetic of season 11 & 12, but most of the jokes work (there are still a few awkward moments in this episode.) Either way, I wish it didn't exist, so, C- )

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

I give it a 3. It wasn't really a bad episode, I just seriously hate how they wrecked Seymour's character.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    Heh, wow, is that true? I watched Godfather III recently and found it pretty underwhelming for sure, but I actually had no idea they'd denounced it themselves. Well, aside from Mantegna via Fat Tony ("I haven't cried like this since I paid to see Godfather III").
    Sort of, though not explicitly. I'm referring to Coppola's repeated claims that he never wanted to make a third Godfather film.

frogophone

poison-penned tirade can be found here: http://www.nohomers.net/showpost.php...3&postcount=26

D+. it's also bad in a pretty unique way, offering a nice alternative for scathing reviewing to the usual s10-12 suspects

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've read your review, Tibor and I just don't get it ...I just don't see such many bad things in the episode. Anyway, what's your opinion about HOMR? I've always thought it´s pretty much worse than TPATP- both the concept and the episode- but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that... Still I wish TPATP wouldn´t exist but I can certainly say the same about another ten episodes of the show or so.

And I´m curious about that...which was the other episode the staff apologized for?

Just hook it to my veins!

1/5 and only gained this point because the "resorting to nonsensical plots" explanation from "Behind the Laughter" actually made sense to me.

frogophone

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork
    Anyway, what's your opinion about HOMR? I've always thought it´s pretty much worse than TPATP- both the concept and the episode- but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that... Still I wish TPATP wouldn´t exist but I can certainly say the same about another ten episodes of the show or so.

And I´m curious about that...which was the other episode the staff apologized for?
    HOMR is fair in places but poor through most. The concept itself is about as off as Lisa The Simpson, which is to say, some but not to a crippling degree. But the writing's pretty hokey and out of touch with the characters- especially at the end.

The other episode that has been apologized for was Gump Roast, with the promise that we won't get another clipshow from the series.
    Last edited by Tibor; 03-01-2005 at 07:32 AM.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro
    All I can say is I've made my case, and if I didn't convince people then it is surely due entirely to my own rhetorical deficiencies.
    You didn't convince me it was a great episode but it convinced me it wasn't all that bad and I upped my grade from C- to a C+.

Thread Information