3 2.34%
  • 1/5 Very poor

2 1.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: King of the Hill

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate and Review: King of the Hill

Great episode. Homer is in good character. Nothing too amazing but still very good.

A/A- 4.5/5

Rounded down to a 4

Very forgettable, but a solid ep nonetheless. A-/B+

3/5. Pretty good.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Like Mountain of Madness in season eight, this episode focuses on Homer. Like Mountain of Madness, it also involves mountaineering. Again, like Mountain of Madness, this episode was written by the same writer. Despite these similarities both episodes stand out on their own. Nothing near classic, but nothing inherently bad about this story either. The gags are amusing, and Homer is more of the lovable idiot than annoying jackass in this episode. Some nice mickey-taking at sports companies and foods that promote health, such as the things that Powersauce spoofs. The only problems are that the episode isn't very original, with elements from Mountain of Madness, Brush With Greatness (Homer trying to get into shape), and Homerpalooza (Homer taking part in dangerous stunts to win Bart's approval) all put together. Some absurd moments do creep in, and the one that irritated me the most was the top of the mountain falling away, leaving Homer at the summit. Silly and predictable. On the other hand, good moments include the views of the three mountains getting ever larger, Homer's low-oxygen hallucination, and Homer leaving his wallet up at the top.

I haven't seen this episode since it first premiered on SkyOne... I was like 10 then and I thought that it was a pretty funny episode. I'd say 4/5...

Stonecutter

I agree with Cauldren on the mountain fallen down. Very silly.

Stonecutter

It's alright, but there's something about it I don't like. Maybe the mountain. 3/5 C+

Crotis Jivefunk

Voted 4/5. I basically agree with everything GC said.

Long ago forgotten... Fallin2hell's Avatar

I saw this episode yesterday and while I dont enjoy some of the wacky bits(the mountain falling down, for example) I like this episode so I'll give it 3/5

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

5/10
    but even a mediocre Simpsons episode is better than 95% of the other garbage on TV

back in black

Uh... what episode is this again? The one Hank Hill and co. drive 2,000 miles to see Arlen's football team play Springfield's?

Oh yeah, I guess you're right. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons Forever!
    It's alright, but there's something about it I don't like. Maybe the mountain. 3/5 C+
    I agree with him. It was a good episode in the first two acts, where it was funniest. Then came the third act. I usually like long conclusions, but this one was just boring - he spends what seems like forever just climbing up that mountain. I did like the very end scene. "Is that your wallet?" "D'oh!" And the fact that we didn't have to see him climb the mountain again...
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

4/5, not quite classic, but very good nonetheless...
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

Best bits:
    1. "Gym, whats a gym?"
    2. Homer in the parent race at the start
    3. Homer using up all the air and only being about ten feet from the floor.

Worst bits:
    None

Overall:
    Hillarious, plenty of laughs to be had in this one and an episode which can be watched again and again. A classic but it still doesnt make it to my top ten, because in my opion there has been so many classic simpson episodes.

GRADE 10/10

3.5/5 but rounded it up to 4

I think this episode would be one of my favourites from season 9 and it has a good solid plot in it. Good amount of jokes in the episode and I loves where Homer used about 20 oxygen bottles in the first 5 metres of the Murderhorn and where the sherpas were pulling Homer up and his pants came off
    Season Ratings: 13, 9, 15, 16, 2, 1, 6, 7, 14, 8, 10, 11, 12, 5, 4, 3. Stick 17 somewhere in there too. Im entitled to an opinion, even if you all hate it!

The show? 5/5.
    The episode? 3/5.

Galalimit

Another season 9 classic. 5/5

Boy, this is a pretty smooth episode, I tell you what.

4/5

Pin Pal

I liked it.

My favourite part that HASN'T already been mentioned was when the family were on the roof, and Bart told Homer over the walkie-talkie how much further he had left to climb, and we could hear Homer saying "D'oh!" even from the considerable distance (trust me, it DIDN'T sound like it was from the walkie talkie).
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

Hypertechnometalfiend
    Under a big 'T', Southampton, Englandville

4/5
    I like this episode a lot, the only part I didn't like was Grandpa's characterisation - he comes off as a real asshole. I thought that bit was just....wrong.
    Stealing, stealing, stealing a car for Moe
    Da da da dah da da da dah, insurance fraud today!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Not season 9's greatest, but still pretty damn good. I liked when Homer ate the bar of spaghetti then called the hospital
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

King of the Hill is a pleasent enough episode, with the possible exception of certain parts of the third act, which drag on for too long due to the lengthy mountain sequence. This sequence, surprisingly, seems to get boring, despite Homer's travails and also affects the end of the second act (although it wasn't as boring initially). Some of the characterisation is suspect (Bart and Grampa come to mind). Aside from these (admittedly major) flaws, the episode runs smoothly.

The first act is fairly good, but not excellent. I found Homer's lack of fitness to be funny, as well as his pronounciation of the word 'gym' and his collapsing after walking 10 metres. There is a good implementation of humour and the segment is never boring, although it isn't exactly laugh-a-second stuff.

The second act sees a slight dip, as Homer learns of his task to climb the exceptionally stip Murderhorn. I thought that Grampa's story was funny because it was exceptionally stupid, but I began to have issues with Bart's characterisation. This began when he goaded Homer to climb the mountain. To me, this doesn't seem like something Bart would do. In the series, he has never struck me as the type who would willingly put his loved ones in life-threatening situations for his own emotional gratification.

Much of the third act is dull, except for the part where Homer gets perilously close to the cougar (or whatever lion-related animal it is). The problem is, depicting Homer in peril had already been attempted in Mountain of Madness, with some mixed results. Also, seeing Homer in life-threatening situations alone does not nearly have enough potential for humour as it would if he was accompanied by a comic foil of some sort, due to his abrasive, crass nature. It just doesn't seem appropriate for the Simpsons. I liked the gag where the Sherpas board a ute to Nepal, admittedly. I also liked the ending, where Marge tells Homer he left his wallet on the mountain, although the true fate of C.W McCallister is probably a bit too macabre.

Overall, King of the Hill is a reasonable episode, which is let down by an all-too-dreary third act and some questionable characterisation. B

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

It's a decent but thin and kind of dry episode. I never got the big deal with it...is it just because Homer isn't acting like an idiot? C+

Very forgettable, but a solid ep nonetheless. A-/B+
    Wtf?
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

3/5 or a C

A lot of the jokes are a bit disgusting, the conflict fizzles out really fast, and the good jokes are rare. Overall, your typical forgettable season 9 episode.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cauldron
    Like Mountain of Madness in season eight, this episode focuses on Homer. Like Mountain of Madness, it also involves mountaineering. Again, like Mountain of Madness, this episode was written by the same writer. Despite these similarities both episodes stand out on their own. Nothing near classic, but nothing inherently bad about this story either. The gags are amusing, and Homer is more of the lovable idiot than annoying jackass in this episode. Some nice mickey-taking at sports companies and foods that promote health, such as the things that Powersauce spoofs. The only problems are that the episode isn't very original, with elements from Mountain of Madness, Brush With Greatness (Homer trying to get into shape), and Homerpalooza (Homer taking part in dangerous stunts to win Bart's approval) all put together. Some absurd moments do creep in, and the one that irritated me the most was the top of the mountain falling away, leaving Homer at the summit. Silly and predictable. On the other hand, good moments include the views of the three mountains getting ever larger, Homer's low-oxygen hallucination, and Homer leaving his wallet up at the top.
    yeah they both involve Homer and both written by John Swartzwelder, I really liked it 4.5/5.

What's up vanilla face? ButtersJ's Avatar

I love this episode, it’s one of those classics that you will always remember.

The episode was built up very well, it had some funny antics with Homer eating tons of those Power Sauce Bars and turned out that they were made of rubbish. It’s always going to be funny whenever you see a Fat man do sports, and in this episode, that happened.

It was very interesting when Homer found that old dude who he used as a Sleigh down to the bottom, it’s good to see that in Springfield they find old lost people just like in real life, makes the show more appealing in ways. I also loved the bit when Homer left his wallet at the top, it’s bound to happen.

The things I didn’t like were mainly Grandpa’s reactions to Homer and the way he was acting overall, he did come off as a bitch. That’s probably the only point I didn’t like, it was overall an enjoyable episode, and I can watch it over and over again and not get bored of the humor and moves in this particular episode.

King of the hill will get a A+ from me, 10/10 in Rating and 100%.
    Santa Claus once put Chuck Norris on the Naughty List. This is why there is no Santa.

The Truth Is Not Out There. Dr. Strangelove's Avatar

For some reason, I've never really liked King of the Hill or Mountain of Madness. There's really no reason for this, since both seem to be solid, character driven episodes. I guess theres just something about mountaineering that bores me.
    2.5/5

This episode has one of my favorite lines of the series, and yet I can't remember the exact wording now or find the quote anywhere. Go figure. Anyway, it's the line in McCallister's journal in which he's writing his last letter to his wife - something to the effect of "My last thoughts will be of you, torturing and blinding Abe Simpson."

All in all though, if we're comparing mountain episodes, I like "Mountain of Madness" better. I could have watched a whole episode of just Burns and Homer hanging out as friends like before the avalanches start.

One man, no ducks

It's kind of funny to compare this episode with "Mountain of Madness", because if put to a blind taste-test, I would probably guess that this was the one produced by Bill & Josh.

Sure, there are some giveaways. The shift away from black-hat Burns figures towards marketing shills as -- if not the adversary, certainly the target -- is very Scully, as is the level (and accuracy) of venom directed at these targets, courtesy of ex-copywriter Swartzwelder. And the focus on health bars, and consumer goods in general, speaks to the way the show was starting to try and catch up with the present around season nine.* It had already burned through most of the easy targets in the world of baby-boomer adolescence that was the show's primary setting to that point.

"Mountain of Madness", by contrast, was a trippy gagfest, considered at the time (even by the writers) to have been an experiment gone awry that was saved only by good jokes. It was, in short, exactly the kind of thing Bill & Josh didn't like about the Mirkin shows.

But "King of the Hill" has a pretty straight "Deep Space Homer" story structure, with pretty much the same outcome, and it's much more of a family story than "Mountain" pretended to be by sticking the family up there. It's also a solid, all-too-rare personal growth story for Homer, with enough touches of editorial cynicism to stay true both to reality (physics aside) and the show's point of view.

I enjoy the mountain slideoff and the human sled as much as the rocket house or a NASA space shuttle surviving a crash into a news reporters' convention. I am impressed by the solid guest performances from Steven Weber and especially Brendan Fraser. And I respect the episode's ability to set its sights on new targets while understanding the limitations of the show's story structure. Those of us who know where the more cartoony jokes will lead may groan with hindsight, but that doesn't make them less funny here.

In some ways, this is Swartzwelder (and Scully) shucking and jiving to keep the show feeling fresh, but they've still got plenty to say, it's still plenty funny, and it holds up just as well as the typically, often deliberately timeless feel of earlier seasons.

5/5.

*At the time, I thought the glossing-over of gym culture was a missed opportunity, but it would have been hack even then. Besides, the episode doesn't suffer much by glossing over Homer's bulking up.

4/5, very good episode.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Great episode with an interesting and endearing Homer characterization and a well-paced and memorable plot. 4.5/5

Thread Information