R&R Homer's Phobia

Great episode. A

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

not too shabby 4/5

Junior Camper

a good episode i think it deserves a 4/5

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The third act is the one that it´s not as good as the other two. John was a good character and , this reminds me of the topic introduced about Homer in the Rate and Review of There´s Something About Marrying, ...Homer is very well used to do social criticism in this one . Very funny and a good episode, but a little overrated. 4/5

Great episode. The best dealing with gay issues. A

A+

4.5/5

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

4/5.

The end is a big letdown.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Best gay episode yet (5/5)

Stonecutter

Really good and funny episode. 5/5 A+

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

4/5 - very funny stuff. Although i will never get why it's called "Homer's phobia" instead of "Homer phobia"

5/5, A+

I never ever tire of it and I find it to be absolutely hilarious and fantastic. The gay steel mill is the best.

Not many flaws in this. Sort of shows Homer has some responsibility for Bart but a well executed episode. Lots of laughs and gay references to keep me happy. A classic/excellent episode 5/5

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic Guy II
    4/5.

The end is a big letdown.
    I'll have to agree - this one had a 5/5 for the first two acts, they were hilarious and classic Simpsons satire on society. Then comes the third act. Characterization was great in acts I and II, but act III was not. It seems to me like Ron Hauge just wanted to end the episode on the "everyone is tolerant of gays, no matter how else the ending goes" note. Homer should have realized his behaviour to Bart earlier, because I just did not buy John saving their life. The hunting jokes were also unfunny, and the ending wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be.

Overall it's a 4/5, thanks to great first and second acts.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Dr. Bartley

One of the best episodes of S8.

Homer: Bart where did you get that T-Shirt?
    Bart: it came out of the closet
    Homer: okay...
    Last edited by Dr. Bartley; 06-20-2006 at 02:53 AM.

Virgin Colada! *No Rum breadharrity's Avatar

original classic

5/5

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Loved this episode, especially the gay steel mill and Barney and Moe during the hunting trip, Jon Water was also an amazing guest star in this episode
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Jokes start to fall flat in the final act, but it's a pretty good episode overall. The gay steel mill scene is a definite highlight.

4/5

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I enjoyed this more on repeat viewing. The line about hunting seeming kinda gay is a fav of mine and the steel mill is a laugh riot. The way the plot was resolved was kinda goofy, but I'll bite. Probably around a 3.5/5 rounding up.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

Another brilliant episode from season 8. Although the ending is strange,it's still great. My favorite part is the popular scene in steel mill. John is a funny character,too. 5/5
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Great episode, great guest star. A 5/5

I enjoyed the commentary, too.

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

4/5 - not too shabby. It's a good episode, but just not as endearing as many other season 8 episodes.

I think I'll bump this thread in order to pose my different opinion on this episode.

I think that this episode displays Homer as a total jerk. He just seems so blatantly prejudiced. I find that in the past, any time Homer has had a jerkish attitude, it has at least some kind of rationality and never left him completely unlikable, but this was just ridiculous. It seemed they had to make him overly prejudiced to get the message across, and, while I have nothing against the message, I felt that Homer's prejudice was just overdone. I also thought that Bart lacked his charm here. He was fine in the beginning, but apart from a few lines, he just seemed robotic, only really seen through Homer's distorted view. And the end was atrocious. I think that Homer's forcing Bart to shoot a reindeer is just wrong. Homer doesn't usually go this far no matter how deeply involved he gets in his schemes. Forcing Bart to kill a reindeer just makes me cringe. If this aired during the Scully Era, I'm almost positive there would be criticism. And the reindeers attacking Homer was just useless unfunny pain. I will admit that this episode is hilarious, however, and Homer isn't always terrible. Some parts were interesting and the animation direction was superb. These high points bring it up to a B-. I just felt the need to rant about this episode, because I think it's perhaps one of the most overrated episodes of all time.

I think that this episode displays Homer as a total jerk. He just seems so blatantly prejudiced. I find that in the past, any time Homer has had a jerkish attitude, it has at least some kind of rationality and never left him completely unlikable, but this was just ridiculous. It seemed they had to make him overly prejudiced to get the message across, and, while I have nothing against the message, I felt that Homer's prejudice was just overdone.
    Does Homer really strike you as the type to not be predjudiced against gays o_0? Homer isn't exactly the most tolerant of people, the fact that he wouldn't want Bart to be gay really doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for my own opinion of the episode, I gotta agree with the majority. Classic, especially the gay steel mill. The tiny little jokes were just hilarious, I thought Bart being pushed a little in the back was pretty effective to show more focus on Homer.

AllTheMuckThat'sFitToRake Lardlad!'s Avatar

loved it although homer went a bit to far in hating gays

Quote Originally Posted by BrideofMoleman
    Does Homer really strike you as the type to not be predjudiced against gays o_0? Homer isn't exactly the most tolerant of people, the fact that he wouldn't want Bart to be gay really doesn't surprise me in the least.
    No, but he strikes me as the person who would be unconsciously intolerant of gays (not flat out cruel, just intolerant without giving the matter much thought); not blatantly prejudiced to the point that he would force his own son to shoot a reindeer based on a false assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by BrideofMoleman
    I thought Bart being pushed a little in the back was pretty effective to show more focus on Homer.
    You seem to be addressing my earlier point, so I will just say that that wasn't my problem. My problem was that when he was shown, he lacked his usual cynical, bratty, talk-back self. He was just there to provide the conflict. He had no charm. He seemed robotic. Even if it went for a more superficial focus on him to emphasize Homer's curiosities, I still prefer to see some of his usual bratty charm.
    Last edited by TheForbiddenDonut; 10-07-2006 at 09:39 PM.

Loved this episode, especially the gay steel mill scene- A+

Great, A+

The Galaxy of Terror (Dont worry, its just a name)

Hot Stuff Comn' through! (5/5)
    "Dad Why did you take me to a gay steel mill?"
    "I dont know"
    Drink Happy Family Brand Bourbon!!!

Excellent. 5/5
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Thread Information