View Poll Results: How do you rate the premiere of American Dad?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

6 4.03%
  • 4/5

38 25.50%
  • 3/5

34 22.82%
  • 2/5

30 20.13%
  • 1/5

41 27.52%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: American Dad Rate/Review: Pilot (1AJN01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm not a statistics major, but the results of this poll are confusing me. Aren't these things supposed to follow a bell curve? Every Simpsons episode I've seen rated here does... but this one has the most favorable choice at 1/5... then 4/5? And with so many 4/5's you'd think there'd be more 5/5, unless they were all low 4/5's, in which case you'd expect more 3/5's...

I can't check DYA right now because it's not working for me, but early on it was doing the same thing over there. Huh? What's going on here? Anyone?

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner
    I'm not a statistics major, but the results of this poll are confusing me. Aren't these things supposed to follow a bell curve? Every Simpsons episode I've seen rated here does... but this one has the most favorable choice at 1/5... then 4/5? And with so many 4/5's you'd think there'd be more 5/5, unless they were all low 4/5's, in which case you'd expect more 3/5's...

I can't check DYA right now because it's not working for me, but early on it was doing the same thing over there. Huh? What's going on here? Anyone?
    Its not supposed to follow a bell curve, but they usually do. This just means the jury is still way out on American Dad.

personality goes a long way Toli's Avatar

Trash. It gave me a few laughs. But the only good thing about that is that means Fmaily Guy won't suck. 2/5

"SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker".

Shut up everyone.

4/5

brilliant review.

All you need is love brockman1988's Avatar

Grade: B. I actually liked it. But I do agree with my dad: It's Family Guy with an alien instead of a dog and a goldfish instead of a baby. Sure, some of the jokes don't work, but when they do they're often hilarious. Plus, as it's animated they still get away with a lot more than most shows (i.e. the Jack-in-the-Box joke). It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. But remember: the pilots of KOTH, Family Guy, and Simpsons weren't all that great, but they all eventually became incredible shows.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Pranksta Rap (n/a): Busy at church again.
    brockman1988 Salutes Black History Month
    man, you just couldn't write this stuff

heh. and i think the pilots for both the simpsons and king of the hill were great.

"know what ford stands for, don't ya? 'fix it again, tony.'"

All you need is love brockman1988's Avatar

Well, the KOTH pilot was pretty good.

I'm a man of wealth and taste Irvine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was all right. Of course, it's not going to be as good as the series would later become, but it's very good for a pilot. I'd give it a 3/5.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings
    Homerland - C Treehouse of Horror XXIV - B Four Regrettings and a Funeral - C- YOLO - B Labor Pains - C The Kid is All Right - C+ Yellow Subterfudge - B White Christmas Blues - B- Steal This Episode - A- Married to the Blob - C- Specs and the City - C Diggs - D The Man Who Grew Too Much - F The Winter of His Content - B+ The War of Art - C- You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee - F Luca$ -D Days of Future Future - D

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    what girl could resist a guy who wakes up his mother to ask her if she has a crush on hitler

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

...well, since you bumped this for no reason, I went back and read the thread.

Its so interesting to see the initial reactions to the show, which went from being almost unanimously hated to perhaps the most respected animated sitcom on Fox's Sunday night lineup. Though our 2005 opinions are fair, since the first several episodes were awful.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Yeah, I stand by my initial negativity. Heck, there are aspects of the show even today that I think are obnoxious, but it definitely did a good job finding its own groove and getting more creative.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Heh the days where everybody loved Family Guy.

High-functioning alcoholic Yule Blog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^ What I was thinking throughout reading this thread. I started watching both shows in '06 when they aired in the UK, and this pilot appeared around one season before Family Guy took a turn for the worse. How funny that the tables have turned, with FG now being as halfassed, insensitive and unfunny as people thought American Dad to be, and American Dad staying constant and pioneering in growth and complicated storylines compared to its contemporaries. For the record, I liked this show from the beginning.

Banned

I don't get the hype with American Dad. Never liked it from the first episode and I still don't. Can't believe it's on what it's 7th season?

Banned
    Blog Entries

This thread is the definition of judging a show by its first episode.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Because this is 2005.

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    I don't get the hype with American Dad. Never liked it from the first episode and I still don't. Can't believe it's on what it's 7th season?
    Have you seen the more recent episodes BGM?

Because the episodes are much better now.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Blog Entries

Pilots generally aren't amazing. They are meant to introduce us to the setting and characters while entertaining us, and this achieved that pretty damn well compared to other pilots i've seen. I actually thought this was pretty decient for what it was. Of course nowhere near the amount of quality that is later to come out of AD, but it was good. Sometimes I think people forget that the first episode, hell, the first season is meant to be a template for the series, more of an experiment than anything. Some of you are too harsh to give anything a chance. Maybe you're missing out on quality shows such as this one. Call me crazy, but I liked it. 3/5

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Drape 'er View Post
    Have you seen the more recent episodes BGM?

Because the episodes are much better now.
    I've watched a few recently and to be fair they are decent and it never gets boring. Sometimes I just feel that Roger the alien, what is it with MacFarlane and talking animals/non entities?, is used too much as a random platform for random lines and pure randomness...still a helluva lot funnier than Homer Simpson & Peter Griffin these days.

Blog Entries

I definitely perfer Rodger over that Bear from the Cleveland Show, or Brian these days. Hell, at least the reasoning for his presence is logical and explained multiple times throughout the show. You don't see nearly as much character development on any other Mcfarlane series.

Formally Fry-O-Rama Homer Defined's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Essomms View Post
    Pilots generally aren't amazing. They are meant to introduce us to the setting and characters while entertaining us, and this achieved that pretty damn well compared to other pilots i've seen. I actually thought this was pretty decient for what it was. Of course nowhere near the amount of quality that is later to come out of AD, but it was good. Sometimes I think people forget that the first episode, hell, the first season is meant to be a template for the series, more of an experiment than anything. Some of you are too harsh to give anything a chance. Maybe you're missing out on quality shows such as this one. Call me crazy, but I liked it. 3/5
    I agree, I don't think it was a bad start to a new series or a bad start for the first season. The first season is basically nothing but experimentation as you try to see what works and what doesn't anyway. Overall, I would give it a 3/5 also.
    Jimbo Jones: [about Homer] I hear that guy's ass has it's own congressman!
    Bart Simpson: I wash myself with a rag on a stick.
    Homer Simpson: [takes cap out of dryer and puts it on his head] Mmmmm... I CAN feel three types of softness.
    Lisa Simpson: [from upstairs] Dad, what are you doing down there?
    Homer Simpson: Washing my fat guy's hat honey!

Banned

I decided to watch this for the first time. In all honesty it wasn't good but it wasn't terrible either. Roger discharging was painfully unfunny and Steve was really annoying in this episode but it was still mildly entertaining and it gave me a couple of good laughs i.e Stan overacting with stealing the girl's purse.

A slightly generous 3/5 and 5/10

Banned

140 votes and only 6 for 5/5? Harsh!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Watched this the whole way through for the first time in quite a while, and I liked it better than I had originally thought. Pretty great for a pilot, imo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kuumuus View Post
    cancelled.
    http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ame...ad!_(season_8)

That is all.

(And yes I'm aware I'm quoting a post from '05)

Who's thirsty for a glass of ULTIMATE POWER?!

Banned
    Blog Entries

These chocodiles, Hayley, oh my god, these chocodiles. These chocodiles, oh my god.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman View Post

Really. Fucking. Awful.

I consider myself a fairly leniant guy when it comes to political humor. I'll read editorial cartoons that probably aren't all that insightful and still chuckle at them, just because I enjoy political humor so much. But this was not even anywhere close to satire. It was a horribly inane and unfair stereotype of conservatives that even I as a fairly staunch liberal (on most issues) found to be pointlessly demeaning. The only thing close to a decent political joke was the "some time and at some place" orange alert gag, which was incidentally done far, far better as just an offhand sight gag on tonight's OFF. Really bad.

But of course the political humor was just a side note to the sitcomish plot that, barring the alien and the fish (two of the most obnoxious cartoon characters ever, hands down), could have easily been done in live action and would have been equally inane. Shit, the joke writing was so sitcommish it could have been written on "Just Shoot Me", and probably would have been clever there too (which is not a compliment to Just Shoot Me by any means). A few times it seemed to want to segue into a Family Guy-esque bizzarro pop culture gag ("Did you ever see Memento?", "And don't make me do that E.T. finger thing...." but just stopped, leaving behind absolutely no trace of humor.

If this goes past a season, the ghosts of "Futurama" and "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" will be weeping. I notice Fox plans on premiering a new "satire" next month about advertising executives, that seems to be lacking in any punch whatsoever about its intended target. Maybe if someone at Fox commissioned a genuinely smart satire of their own kind, they could have it illustrated for them why dreck like this fails.

D-
    Ah, good times. Back when Family Guy was considered the funny one, Simpsons considered what I assume to be less shitty, and a pilot of this level being considered really shitty. Sigh, what happened to you TV, you used to be good most of the time.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 25 Ratings:
    Homerland-5.6/10 Treehouse of Horror XXIV-7.2/10 Four Regrettings and a Funeral-7.5/10 Yolo-6.5/10 Labor Pains-5.2/10 The Kid is All Right-5/10 Yellow Subterfuge-7.8/10 White Christmas Blues-4.6/10 Steal This Episode-8.1/10 Married to the Blob-7/10 Specs and the City-6.1/10 Diggs--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm feeling nostalgic for 2005... That's fucking sad.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Teddy

Blog Entries

Eh. I've met people who get nostalgic for 2009 and that was 4 years ago!

Thread Information