View Poll Results: How do you rate the premiere of American Dad?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

6 3.97%
  • 4/5

40 26.49%
  • 3/5

34 22.52%
  • 2/5

30 19.87%
  • 1/5

41 27.15%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: American Dad Rate/Review: Pilot (1AJN01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

"The idea seems to have been that Stan can do all these jerky things but his redeeming quality is that deep down, he loves his family."

Really? I get the feeling that he's a jerk, and actually doesn't love Haley because of her political views. Nothing he did in the episode led me to believe he did.

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    I notice Fox plans on premiering a new "satire" next month about advertising executives, that seems to be lacking in any punch whatsoever about its intended target.
    Dude, that was a "Truth" ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

The pilot seemed to be trying to convey the idea that Stan loves his family. Doesn't mean they succeeded. But I'll wager that they will do an episode that shows him doing something nice for Hayley at some point (even Archie Bunker sometimes bonded with Meathead).

The point is the same, anyway, that they aren't succeeding in giving him the kind of redeeming qualities that would make us root for him.

Blog Entries

Watched 2 minutes of it, couldn't take it anymore

HA HA THE FISH TALKS

Weeknights at 7PM on HLN Jane Velez-Mitchell's Avatar

i demand to know the poll results so we can see who gave it 5/5.

I don't think a charcater needs to have some kind of redeeming characteristic... Cartman immeidately comes to mind. Nothing redeeming I can think of, he's just a total and absolute prick on all accounts, yet he's far and away the most popular character on South Park.

And I really don't think they were even trying to let onto that he likes Hayley, even a little bit. Possibly a comment on how political disagreements can get between people that it really shouldn't. Uh-oh, I insinuated they may have done some sort of satire.

I've been reading at other boards, and I'm seeing consistantly negative reactions. Slightly surprising. I was expecting FG fans to hop on the wagon a little bit, but doesn't seem to be happening. I thought the Iraq cut-away, Jack in the Box, toast-shooting, table-breaking, and gum tossing were all jokes equally likely to wind up on Family Guy.

At any rate, I'd give it a 3/5. I laughed a few times. Nothing hugely funny, but not really that bad. I don't see it sustaining this quality though if they don't believe in character development (I know generally Macfarlane doesn't care about that) because the Osama and CIA jokes will get old FAST.
    Signature.

I don't think a charcater needs to have some kind of redeeming characteristic... Cartman immeidately comes to mind.
    But with Cartman -- as with Archie Bunker -- his plans almost always backfire. (When he does win it's usually presented as an exception that proves the rule, like with Scott Tenorman.) If Cartman actually succeeded in most of his plans to hurt people or generally do evil, then he'd be unbearable. We can sort of like him because we know he's mostly harmless. Stan Smith is not mostly harmless, and he doesn't get his comeuppance nearly enough.

Besides, while Cartman is very popular, he's not technically the star of the show. Stan Smith, like Archie Bunker, is the main character, the hero or at least the anti-hero.

I see your point, but I don't think we've got enough of a sample size to know how exactly Stan's character is going to be handled.

Weeknights at 7PM on HLN Jane Velez-Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arlen_texas
    We can sort of like him because we know he's mostly harmless. Stan Smith is not mostly harmless, and he doesn't get his comeuppance nearly enough.
    the way you talk about this, one would swear the show has been on for 5 seasons.

Well, I'll give Tibor some credit for referncing my favorite line in spinal Tap, but other than that, you gusy are way off. I'll admit it's a little too similar to Family Guy (a David Spade joke waiting to happen actually), and the characters need a little re-tooling, but this should how had some very funny moments, my favorite being God talking to Bush. I'll give it an 88% and say there actually is potential here.

Oh, and let's see who can figure out what these 3 things have in common:

1. NASCAR
    2. Tom Petty
    3. American dad

Quote Originally Posted by pocketfox
    Well, I'll give Tibor some credit for referncing my favorite line in spinal Tap, but other than that, you gusy are way off. I'll admit it's a little too similar to Family Guy (a David Spade joke waiting to happen actually), and the characters need a little re-tooling, but this should how had some very funny moments, my favorite being God talking to Bush. I'll give it an 88% and say there actually is potential here.

Oh, and let's see who can figure out what these 3 things have in common:

1. NASCAR
    2. Tom Petty
    3. American dad
    They all suck?

Godfather's Associate Crazy Leprechaun's Avatar

It was pretty good, but it wasn't as good as Family Guy.

I gave it a 4/5, and I was being generous.

Thanks to a member of RedVsBlue for the sig.

Crazy Leprechaun's DVDs

frogophone

american dad
    dave mathews band
    spooner's keyboard

all fail to comply with sewage dumping ordinances. hiyo

huh?

I liked it, far different formula from family guy, but it benefitted from that. Most jokes were good. Only real weak part was the climax. B
    But I just don't know if this can work for an entire season.

the way you talk about this, one would swear the show has been on for 5 seasons.
    I tend to believe that if the pilot doesn't have interesting characters, the show is never going to have interesting characters. Sure, characters develop over time, but the first episodes of The Simpsons (whether you count the Christmas show or "Some Enchanted Evening" as the first), King of the Hill and Futurama pretty much established that some of these characters were worth caring about. If the show starts with zero good characters, I pretty much think that's where it's going to stay.

Oh, one last thing: considering the mostly bad reviews, how come no critic has used the obvious play on words "American Dud" to describe the show? (Or even "American Bad." Or "American Damned.")
    Last edited by arlen_texas; 02-06-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibor
    american dad
    dave mathews band
    spooner's keyboard

all fail to comply with sewage dumping ordinances. hiyo

And to think, I only gave it a 3/5 and said it wouldn't last too many seasons. :thumbsup

Vendetta isn't just a potentially awesome band name.

EDIT- This just in! Vendetta band name already taken! Joke takes on new meaning! http://www.vendetta-band.de/

3/5

I thought it was "OK." There were some interesting moments. That scene of the kid dragging that mangy mutt was funny. The only eyebrow-raising moment was when the father accidentally shot him; I immediately thought, "OK, complete rip off of the second episode of Married With Children." (When the Rhodes' guard dog Bella gets killed by Al.)

The political satire also wasn't really that sharp. I think the problem is that the stereotypes are already dated. They have been played to death on TV shows, radio skits, and stand up acts for the past year or so, so when I saw them on AD-- the gun-toting, paranoid Rightwinger and the mopey liberal-- I thought they were kind of boring. Besides, have you listened to popular Rightwingers and liberal commentators lately? They're real life [unintentional] parodies! So it's kind of hard to laugh at political parodies on a show when people like Ann Coulter and Ted Rall already do a good enough job of being parodies of their particular viewpoint.

Nevertheless, I think this is a series with "potential," and that like someone else said here, feel that it could be really great with good character development.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Number of smiles/chuckles in this episode:

Stan overdoing his purse-snatching stunt

That is all. I never thought I'd see a FOX toon which makes Family Guy look like comedy gold, but here it is. There was a complete lack of compelling character interaction, every joke fizzled out into nothing, every character was dull or despicable. The only things Family Guy really has going in its favor: the comic timing and the occassional witty dialogue, is completely lacking. Move over, The Pitts!

Grade: F

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    I've been reading at other boards, and I'm seeing consistantly negative reactions. Slightly surprising.
    Many Toonzone members loved this episode. But then, many Toonzone members hate Simpsons season 16 and consider The Super Mario Brothers Super Show to be quality TV.

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

You know, this was probably the first time in about two years that I've seen a new Simpsons episode as well.

It sucked ass too. No wonder I stopped watching.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

I'm sorry, but 28% of the poll voters thought this was good?

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

The fact that they're still even bothering with this is pretty stupid. You would think they would want to focus on Family Guy, but this show is just going to put a dent in Family Guy's rising popularity. And what I mean is, it was crappy. The animation, music, voices, transitions, and plot pacing were all exactly the same as Family Guy. Oh look, they have a talking fish and an alien! That's weird like how the Griffins have a talking dog and baby! And since it looks exactly like Family Guy, it feels like "Family Guy - Lite." Or, "Family Guy for the Masses". All of the jokes lacked any timing or wit, and the plot, characters, humor, and situations were all VERY cliche'-sitcom-ish. So, it was like they took some generic TV show sitcom concept for the masses and applied Family Guy animation to it.

However, it was still better than Drawn Together and most new shows on Adult Swim.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

i'll repost my review again because i'm a fucking whore and because this show was some of the dumbest, brain-numbingly stupid shit i have ever seen

this show is ridiculously awful on so many levels. like a fifteen year old's family guy ripoff written for a high school assignment. some of the jokes are just indescribably lame and ill-advised and why why why why what the goddamn fuck, like the alien's frequent random, messy discharges of sticky green liquid (i'm not kidding, i swear) which totally won't get old, and a near enough straight-up racist cutaway gag about iraq, and american dad punching his wife in the face (i'm not kidding, i swear). near enough every second joke is some sort of toilet/sexual humor. the kid manages to be both totally anonymous and extremely hateful, this episode makes him both so unlikeable and so lacking in depth i cant see how they can portray him in anything other than a negative light in future episodes unless they do a complete 180 with his character. they have the bare-faced audacity to make this kid dictatorial, power-mad and evil for very little reason in the space of ten minutes, then conclude his plot with a tender emotional moment!! complete with the standard weepy emotional scene music. not to mention that his whole plot is just a very straightahead reading of two very well-worn high school sitcom cliches. character dynamics are virtually non-existent, the only things resembling dynamics being based on mutual animosity or one anonymous character acting as a dartboard to absorb the zingers of the dominant wacky character. the overbearing, in-your-face wacky antics of american dad make jerkass homer look like paula small, and surely his over-the-top schtick is going to seriously grate on even the most passive viewers by the middle of the first season. both the wife and the daughter are characterised in dull, stereotypical ways just like in family guy, though i'm not particularly surprised given the high-school-jockish nature of mcfarlane's work that he has difficulty characterising females as anything other than shallow and whiny stereotypes. perhaps his next show should cut out the dead weight and just feature an ensemble entirely made up of overbearing dumbasses and things which talk that aren't supposed to. the political humor is hopelessly cliched (terror alerts, "they don't shave their armpits!") and/or just appallingly unsubtle, uninspired and lacking in wit. I mean, is it possible to get more unsubtle, uninspired and witless than "Today in the news, God called George Bush in the White House"? and check out the insightful, intelligent, in-depth look at electoral mudslinging (dad calls kid's election opponent a prostitute and produces a crude doctored photo, crowd reacts, cut to spinning newspaper saying kid wins in landslide....clever). this makes bart mangled banner look like voltaire. this is not satire. this is at the level of stoned riffing on current events by high-school kids whose only source of political news is SNL. calling this satire in critical reviews should be banned, as it's seriously misleading. it's like calling a roadkill squirrel a meal. and why does george bush sound more like bill clinton than george bush? is macfarlane incapable of distinguishing between presidents? the direction is completely stale and tedious as well, with several inexplicably clumsy shifts of camera angle and several moments of lousy animation (the alien collapsing the table and the dad's rampage through the mall, to name but two). the character designs are bad, but you knew that already (the kid looks like a generic composite character made up of every nerdy bespectacled kid in every saturday morning cartoon ever). oh, and the my-first-casio synth-brass musical stings really suck ass too.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Meh. I laughed plenty of times. The characters are somewhat underdeveloped and weird, but at least they were not as much like Family Guy's characters as I had initially thought. Plus, the basic plot was kind of cliche. 3 out of 5. I will give it time, but I would still rather have Futurama back.
    Last edited by Darth Danno; 02-07-2005 at 03:10 AM.

It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great either. 3/5.

insufferable. seth should focus on family guy.

I guess lightning doesn't strike twice for McFarlane. Awful. I failed to see the political satire at all. Pray to the TV gods that this travesty is gone by the end of the year.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner
    If it turns out as I think it is, and Francine is just as incompetent and idiotic as the rest of the family, that'll be interesting. Usually you've got the voice of reason (Lisa, Brian) but I don't immediately see one in American Dad outside of maybe Haley... but I don't see her developing into a true VoR.
    dude, there wasn't even anything tangible between the characters to work with in that respect. there was no kind of family dynamic of any sort. they were all just off in their own little worlds of zany schtick, occasionally stepping outside to help out with someone else's zany schtick. before they start thinking about who's the voice of reason and such perhaps they should actually convince us that these people actually live together and know one another. the atmosphere on this show could hardly be more sterile, empty and unconvincing. and don't give me any "it's a pilot" excuses. king of the hill, the simpsons, the critic, futurama, home movies, even family guy all did not have particularly impressive pilots but they at least established a dynamic between characters and a general tangible atmosphere of the show. futurama even managed to create a convincing dynamic despite the fact its characters were meeting each other for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner
    Thought with the creators, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the liberal is teh one who becomes the VoR.
    well at this point the liberal is the only positively characterised character in the show...

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

I'll give a 3.5/5. It has some good jokes. For some reason that 19 year old dog had me cracking me up. That was really thing that had me laughing. It really just seemed like a bastardized version of Family Guy. Then agian it's just a pilot episode, pilot episodes generally aren't as good as the rest of the series. One joke that had potential that they just ruined was the God talking to Bush Joke, it wasn't funny and it went on for far to long. Also I liked steve's voice in the origional pilot that was leaked on the internet better than the current voice of steve. That alien is really fucking annoying though. and a talking Goldfish that is a has a voice of a German Guy what the fuck? I just hope the rest of the series is much better than this otherwise this is going to canceled after 12 more episodes.

Thread Information