Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R The Day of the Jackanapes

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

R&R The Day of the Jackanapes

Boring and unfunny. Though occ it had its fairly good moments

2.5/5

Pin Pal

I don't know about unfunny...the "Maggie shot Mr Burns again" part was fairly funny.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

3/5.- Okay episode.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

This episode is a mixed bag, while I liked the return of Sideshow Bob and thought that he was funny and his plan was good, I didn't like how it was resolved. He is used best when the Simpson children spoil his plot, I don't like when it is him showing pangs of conscience. B-

5/5, A+ - This is one of my favourite episodes already, and I've only seen it once. I'll probably change my mind after a second viewing.

Stonecutter

A great Sideshow Bob episode, and a great episode from season 12- A/A-

Spells "Yale" with a "6"

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    5/5, A+ - This is one of my favourite episodes already, and I've only seen it once. I'll probably change my mind after a second viewing.
    I think this is one of the most under-rated episodes ever!
    It's a really good strong episode- how you can give this 3/5 and the give She Used to Be My Girl 4/5 is beyond me.

Anyway, I give it 5/5.
    The "Maggie shot Mr. Burns again!!" bit was hilarious!
    Bonfire of the Manatees C-
    The Girl Who Slept Too Little B+
    Millhouse of Sand and Fog B

Underrated. Sideshow Bob is always great, and this is a pretty funny episode. Definitely one of the better ones from season 12, up there with "Hungry Hungry Homer" (though not as good as "Trilolgy of Error").

B+

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

In my humble opinion, this is the least good of the Sideshow Bob episodes. Normally, the Sideshow Bob episodes are a little detached from reality, but the idea of Bart being hypnotised, and then to blow up Krusty didn't wash with me. Little throwaway gags like "Maggie shot Mr Burns again!" and "Let nothing STOP you from PAYMENT of this cheque!" worked well, made me laugh, but a few fell flat, notably the network workers' deaths.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Well, er, it's a lot better than Great Louse Detective.

Crotis Jivefunk

^^
    True that. At least Bob has some reason to be featured here. B-

Quote Originally Posted by Red Right
    3/5.- Okay episode.

Monorail Conductor

I think it being detached from reality is what makes it great when SSBR is thrown into the mix. Definately a brillant ep. 4/5.
    Homer: "I call the big one Bitey."

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

While I'm not exactly a fan of The Great Louse Detective, I certainly consider it to be better than The Day Of The Jackanapes. Though there's less reason to have Bob there, I did appreciate the idea of Bob being an ally, rather than a foe. Hated the Frank Grimes Jr revelations, and the shocking gags became tiresome early on, but otherwise, not a bad episode by all means.

3/5
    gee whiz i'm dreaming my life away

jennifer

/
    Last edited by jennifer; 08-01-2010 at 02:22 AM.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

3/5.
    My Favorite part:

I might regret it but I actually gave this a 4/5. Sideshow Bob felt as much at home in this episode as he had in the two previous to this at least I think, and quite funny in spots. One of the five truly good episodes of the season.

one of my least favorite Bob episodes, but still not a bad episode in general.

B-

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Really continued the trend of bad Sideshow Bob episodes and had one of, if not the worst ending ever.

2/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a mediocre Bob episode, though it had some funny moments, but as has been said, the ending is stupid. 3/5

Blog Entries

Another middle-of-the-road episode for Season 12.

I really can't stand those endings in TV and movies where the main antagonist changes their mind when they learn new information. It strikes me as being kinda lazy about how Bob is mad that Krusty didn't care about the old episodes and their work together. Krusty spends the entire episode completely oblivious to his snub of Sideshow Bob, and then turns it around at the precise moment. It makes the episode feel kinda pointless.

The funniest parts were some of the Bart & Sideshow Bob stuff. His calm reaction to first seeing Sideshow Bob is clever, as well as some of the other little stuff (like Bob's indecision on "control" vs "power").

Overall, a 3/5. Sure.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The second worst episode of Bob, which doesn't make it bad by any means but it's anyway pretty weak.

I have two main problems with this episode. The first one is Brother From Another Series. Sure, it was made in the 8th season and The Simpsons doesn't usually worry about continuity, but the difference between the ending of that episode and the premise of this one is fairly remarkable. While in BFAS Bob is voluntarily moving away from his recent criminal life, in The Day Of The Jackanapes he is again a maniac murderer who wants to take revenge at all costs. It's odd to turn a rehabilitated prisoner into a criminal again, and I missed at least an explanation that linked both episodes. I should maybe blame the season 8 episode for that change in the character, but it was well-written and actually made his use enjoyable and interesting in other way. It's this one which failed at following his storyline, making this return to the old characteristics pretty gratuitous.

The second one is self-parody, or rather, the lack of difference between parody and self-parody. It's something very common in the Scully era, where the episodes usually refer to previous Simpson-ish ideas, but those references are badly-written, playing down the seriousness or credibility of the plot. For example, I disliked Bart not taking Bob's menace seriously; yes, he has always escaped unharmed from his attacks, but that doesn't mean he isn't afraid of Bob (that was one of the reasons why I liked more The Great Louse Detective, for example). Another pretty lousy situation caused by the same problem is the trial for Bob's parole. Cape Feare did it in a similar way, getting him out of prison by a series of absurdities, but in the end it was plenty of hilarity coming from pure satire: the jury as a group of ignorant and easily affected people, "No one who speaks German could be an evil man.", the whole trial being finished in an afternoon despite Bob's criminal record... If anything, The Day Of The Jackanapes tried to imitate that last point, but it was done badly IMO.
    And finally, Mr Teeny. OK, we all understand that the Krusty Show is cheap and infantile and uses those kinds of resources to keep its audience. Please, don't overuse the character to the point of being ridiculous.
    The executives jokes could also be included here, but they were above all the typical lame surrealism from this era.

Anyway, I have to say this episode is quite enjoyable. It manages to transmit the atmosphere of Bob's episodes and it's pretty funny, one of the best from its season. But it is a forgettable and flawed piece, not classic at all. 6/10
    Last edited by jal90; 09-03-2009 at 01:29 PM.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFiles View Post
    a mediocre Bob episode, though it had some funny moments, but as has been said, the ending is stupid. 3/5
    I agree with everything said here.

One of my favorite Sideshow Bob episodes (I personally find "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming" and "Brother from Another Series" to be pretty weak). He's just a brilliant character, full of contradictions (he's erudite but still yearns for the days of being a clown's wingman) and, y'know, homicidal urges. My only beef with this episode is the rushed ending (more time should have been spent on the Krusty/Bob reconcilliation; that cut-away to the restaurant (without the slightest explanation of how--or even if--Bart snapped out of his trance) just doesn't do it for me). Overall, though, it's a funny episode with an entertaining premise.

3/5

Weak.

Better than The Great Louse Detective and Brother From Another Series, but none of the rest.

I liked Mr Teeny's striptease act, the sinster playground scene, Bob as morning announcer and Krusty and Bob making up.

3/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

the original Sex Pistol

Thank god they came up with the word meh. All the episodes I've r&red so far today were about equally good, so this is a 3/5 too.

Blog Entries

good for late scully and although worst bob ep to date at that point it was alot better then the bob episodes that followed 3.5/5

Blog Entries

Good Sideshow Bob episode but I hate the end. 3.5/5

Blog Entries

Why don't you guys like Brother from Another Series?

Anyway, 3/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Thread Information