• 2/5

3 2.27%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review - Homer Loves Flanders

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review - Homer Loves Flanders

This is hardly a memorable episode, but still good. Lisa's meta-references were pretty funny, including the "Thursday 8:00PM" sub-text at the end. Other than that this was a very forgetful episode. 4/5.

I agree that it's hardly a memorable episode, but it's because of the fact that it's easily forgotten means that it gets a low mark from me.

2/5
    I am not responsible for any brain cells lost due to the reading of my posts.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

A nice, normal, fun-filled episode, notable for quite a few self-references to the show.
    A lot of people complain about these little referential gags, but I thought these made the episode better, even if they did give the impression that the characters seemed to know they were living in a TV show. The ending, I felt, was rather disappointing, as Homer simply gave up on his friendship with Ned Flanders. Fair enough. Then we cut straight to the family being haunted in the haunted house, so basically, finishing off with a cheap joke. However, a good episode, and as usual, the best lines all came from Homer. It's silly, escapist stuff, but I would place it near the top of Season Five's greatest episodes.

i like this episode alot, im my mind its a classic alot of people disagree though.
    King of the Hill
    Beavis and Butthead
    The Artist Formally Known As Michael Bolton

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
    Record List
    Best Simpsons Episode Ever = Lemon of Troy

Stonecutter

I think part of its "obscurity" may be due to the fact that it followed one of the biggest episodes of all time; Anyways, it's a hilarious, experimental episode that I could watch again and again. A-

Curse those handsome devils

I loved the Terminator 2 parody and the scene where Flanders is in the tower shooting people which, if anyone doesn't know, is probably a parody of the tower sniper at the University of Texas.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

5/5 An hilarious episode. Another classic from the season 5 factory.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Not a great episode, one of the weaker ones from season five and the classic era in general. Nothing is great about this episode, the only thing that makes it even a halfy way decent episode are all of the meta references by Lisa. Overall, I did not enjoy seeing a jerkass Homer previewing what the Scully years would be.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

A pretty weird episode with some notably warped characterizations and far-out (at times downright) mean-spirited humor that somehow manages to come across as charming in the context of the story. The plot is fairly thin and occasionally contrived, but mainly just acts as a support for the barrage of zany gags and clever movie references. Fun episode, just a tad lacking in substance. Grade: B+
    signature

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

A very fun episode, but Homer is a bit flat and annoying at times. A-

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    A very fun episode, but Homer is a bit flat and annoying at times. A-
    I think that's the point.

This Is Dizzy Stuff, Folks duffless89's Avatar

I liked it because on the lines from that show has been stuck in my head forever since...

'Nacho, nacho man! I wanna be, a nacho man!'

A-

Bad, bad rubber piggy mad_hair60's Avatar

"Ooh, your car. What are the odds, huh?"

"Now I have FOUR children! You shall be called... stitchface."

"You know something? He DID say "well" a lot."

Three reasons I love this episode.

Good plot, good solid jokes. Nothing special 4/5. B
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

Putting aside the sometimes weird behavior of Homer, honestly this episode just stands out as one of the most forgettable of the "classic era" to me. There's isn't anything other then a few defining moments ("Rappin Ronnie Reagan", the "Terminator" chase) that really make it stand out at all. But with that said its a fun episode, mostly funny with some decent meta references. B
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

jennifer

/
    Last edited by jennifer; 08-01-2010 at 02:16 AM.

country sad ballad man

"Homer Loves Flanders:" Apparently overrated. Worst of season 5 by a fair margin. Seems like it would get ripped to pieces if it aired in season 14. Fairly warped characterizations, rather lazy plotting, some over-obvious meta-lampoonery. Not to mention the somewhat dodgy humor. There are some moments of brilliance ("He did say well alot," Marge's hallucination, some Flanders lines, etc.) but overall a weak episode. Quite a let down compared to the other classics season 5 was producing non-stop before this episode. C+

4/5 - Decent episode, very decent.

personality goes a long way Toli's Avatar

4/5. But I can't really watch again for a while.

100th post. WOO HOO!

"SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker".

Paul's right, it's hardly memorable but it was good. (4/5)

Worst of season 5, though it's simply just an uneven endeavor. Homer actually manages to annoy me more here than any bit of his spotty characterizations in "Homer Goes to College" or "Homer the Vigilante" or anything else prior to season 9. It's not that he's really a "jerkass", it's just that his obsessive fixation on the Flanders family, while meant to be annoying and creepy to a point, isn't funny or endearing or true to character or anything, and stuff like him walking through the Flanders window or flying Ned's boat onto his car or chasing the Flanders down "Terminator 2" style is annoying and creepy. And quite honestly, even ignoring all that, more than half the plot is just Homer doing a stupid thing/Ned gets annoyed and the fickle towns misguided praise/scorn of Homer and Ned, it gets redundant. Plus the whole point of the character study, that Ned can get mad, isn't exactly a shocking revelation either when coming three years after the much better "Dead Putting Society", and dragged almost painfully through its obvious set-up during the picnic scene in particular. But despite all my ranting, the episode's not really bad. The first act before Homer becomes friends with Flanders is a lot of fun, and like Jimbo said the plot really does act better as a "barrage of zany gags and clever movie references" (though even here still not up to par with anything else from season 5). So it's still watchable, at times enjoyable, but obnoxious all the same, and nothing I'm ever going to go out of my way to see. Grade: C

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic Guy II
    I think that's the point.
    Annoying in an unfunny and unendearing way. Homer's obssessiveness with his next-door neighbor reminded me of Urkel from Family Matters.

4/5

I LOVE the T2 parody. One of my favourite moments in The Simpsons!

4/5

Galalimit

One of the best episodes of season 5. 5/5

back in black

The high humour level (especially Lisa's self-references) is what takes this episode from the "average" range (3/5) to the "very good" range (4/5). Respectable enough S5 episode.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

5/5 a masterpiece.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Stonecutter

I love S5 and this episode is one of the best. 5/5 A*

3/5. OK, but the ending where Homer suddenly hates Flanders again leaves a little to be desired
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    3/5. OK, but the ending where Homer suddenly hates Flanders again leaves a little to be desired
    It's like that to fit in with the meta-references.

This episode is hysterical, much like the majority of season 5. Sacrilicious, the scalper, "I got us some kick ass seats"...

4.5/5, rounded up.

Thread Information