(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

R&R Skinners Sense of Snow

One of the better episodes of S12.

4/5

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Not one of the better episodes of S12.

2/5

In this episode, there is no real warmth to it, and it appears that none of the staff who worked on it put any effort into it at all, instead merely going through the motions. Principal Skinner's conflict with the children is none too interesting or engaging, and the audience feels no sympathy for him when the children rebel, and he is gagged and tied by Bart and company. Homer's teaming with Flanders to save the children was inspired, but stealing Ned's roof and not being able to remember his snow-plowing days were a little off. Worse still, another odd hallucination that gets visited twice, the latter being a catalyst in one of the most cringeworthy endings ever: Lisa, with a camel's head shrieks "Merry Christmas from The Simpsons!" Search me. No idea what all that was about.
    There were some good moments, and these include the very pathetic DVD and player, the Cirque du Puree, and the sexual innuendo, with Chief Wiggum apparently emptying his flask in the snow, the hamster chewing through Skinner's ballsack, and the groundskeeper not wanting Skinner to slap his Willie around anymore though these moments definitely do not make up for the lacklustre premise. It must be said that watching it again just now, the episode went up in my opinion, but it still doesn't really change the fact that I think it's one of season twelve's worst.

3/5 - Not bad for a holiday season episode, but it missed the real good laughs and the originality (reminded me of a "Hey Arnold" episode). Still pretty enjoyable though, but not really one of the better episodes from season #12.

Pin Pal

Your favourite moments are all sexually related, yet you cringe when Homer gets ther-whacked in the "you-know-where" in Little Big Mom? You really need to get out more.

Its a clear 4/5. You're not supposed to feel any sympathy for Skinner, and I think it shows what some children would really like to do. I know a lot of people at my old school would.

And what was wrong with the ending? Homer, under the spell of the gas, saw Lisa as a camel, so it seemed only fitting for us to see her as a camel too. Besides, it IS a Christmas episode.
    Last edited by SimpsonByte; 12-17-2004 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Thought of something else to add.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonByte
    yet you cringe when Homer gets ther-whacked in the "you-know-where" in Little Big Mom? You really need to get out more.
    You're the first one I "know" who likes that episode, I really loved that leprocy-thing, as it was funny ánd original.

Stonecutter

I really dont understand why people dislike the ending. SimplySimpsons thought the same when I spoke over on MSN. As SimpsonByte said "And what was wrong with the ending? Homer, under the spell of the gas, saw Lisa as a camel, so it seemed only fitting for us to see her as a camel too"

George I must agree with the jokes you hated. The roof joke was awful. I really do hate these types of jokes. Like in All's Fair in Oven's War the 2 years later thing. Simply bad. Anyway after reading your review shouldnt it be higher than 2/5? as it sounds more like a 3.
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 08-26-2006 at 10:58 AM.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I never cringed at Homer getting hit in the crotch in Little Big Mom. I cringed because of the crying and screaming.

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    You're the first one I "know" who likes that episode, I really loved that leprocy-thing, as it was funny ánd original.

Call it "being different". I just found that episode funny, it brought back memories, and it gave me inspiration.

BTW, speaking of LBM, did anyone notice that the ski resort the Teachers were dancing in in THIS episode looked like that of Mount Embolism, in LBM?

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is it me or has Simpsonsbyte hit puberty, he's come back fairly recently and a lot angrier and more insulting. and now this talk of "being different!" is Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Crotis Jivefunk

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    3/5 - Not bad for a holiday season episode, but it missed the real good laughs and the originality (reminded me of a "Hey Arnold" episode). Still pretty enjoyable though, but not really one of the better episodes from season #12.
    A few post S10 episodes used plots from Hey Arnold, the other two being EABF07 and EABF11.

Onto the episode:

I liked it at first, but I dislike it now because it's overplayed. Too many scenes of the kids going crazy, and the plot is bland. C/C-

Banned

2.5/5

4/5. It's one of the stupidest episodes ever, but it always made me laugh. And that's very difficult to find on Season 12.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    Is it me or has Simpsonsbyte hit puberty, he's come back fairly recently and a lot angrier and more insulting. and now this talk of "being different!" is Maybe I'm just imagining things.

I'm only 16 years old. I am NOT insulting in the slightest. If anything, no offence, its you whos the insulting one.

And what on EARTH is it with you guys not letting me having my own opinion? You don't diss anyone who likes "Kill The Alligator and Run", but as soon as I put that I rank "Little Big Mom" as episode no 2, you have a go at me.

Homer Thompson, far from hitting puberty, I've hit rock bottom with my Grandma, who's been acting crazy since my Grandad died 4 months ago. I don't need rude comments to add to the strain.

3/5

its decent, theres some pretty funny parts but its just nothing realy special.
    King of the Hill
    Beavis and Butthead
    The Artist Formally Known As Michael Bolton

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
    Record List
    Best Simpsons Episode Ever = Lemon of Troy

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

I don't mind mean-spirited episodes, but pointlessly mean-spirited episodes do get to me. Grade: D+

Though I did like the line about Skinner slapping his Willy around.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonByte
    I'm only 16 years old. I am NOT insulting in the slightest. If anything, no offence, its you whos the insulting one.

And what on EARTH is it with you guys not letting me having my own opinion? You don't diss anyone who likes "Kill The Alligator and Run", but as soon as I put that I rank "Little Big Mom" as episode no 2, you have a go at me.

Homer Thompson, far from hitting puberty, I've hit rock bottom with my Grandma, who's been acting crazy since my Grandad died 4 months ago. I don't need rude comments to add to the strain.
    I meant the comment you made telling people they need to get out more, we don't actually diss you very much and those who like KTAA aren't worth insulting, its best just to ignore them.
    I'm sorry to hear about your family tragedies but I wasn't to know, but it shouldn't give you immunity against anyone saying anything the slightest bit critical towards you.
    Beside I wasn't really insulting you it was a bit of light hearted poking.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Very meh. 3/5. I don't hate it because it has pretty good characterizations of everyone, but the story is too out there for me.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

I didn't mind the episode it defiantly was not the worst episode of season 12 that I can grantee you that. The worse episode title of season 12 goes to {Drum role pleas} “HOMR" that has to be the worse episode ever. My favorite gag in the end when Lisa was camel and says Marry Christmas and makes a honking noise I laughed right out my chair just watching that. Now call me crazy but I love the episodes with Bart and Principle Skinner are friends/foes there great and this was one of those episodes that I happened to um like so I give it an 5/5

"And what was wrong with the ending? Homer, under the spell of the gas, saw Lisa as a camel, so it seemed only fitting for us to see her as a camel too"
    Just because you can come up with a psuedo-logical basis for the camel thing doesn't mean it's not a bad ending. The joke is just a groaner.

C
    Season rankings: 4, 7, 2, 3, 6, 5, 8, 15, 1, 16, 9, 14, 13, 17, 12, 10, 11

I liked watching the children rebel against Skinner, but in the end, it just doesn't compare to other Christmas episodes.

And yes, the ending was just...annoying.

2.5/5

Living Through This

I liked it alot, nice hearing the Mr. Plow jingle again

4/5

Galalimit

One of the best episodes of season 12. 4/5

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

I thought it was pretty good, I liked the Homer/Ned stuff, but then again when do I not? 4/5

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

I've seen this episode way too many times now. Still, it's not at all bad (but not all that great).

The overall story could work well on any TV show, and doesn't deserve any points for originality or using the format of The Simpsons in a different fashion. But on that same token, it does work well, it does acheive what it aims to acheive - being a somewhat shallow, yet enjoyable narrative. The pace is good, with the only really slow moment being the neverending Christmas movie at the beggining of the episode. I despise that scene, due to its lack of humour and the sheer length that it stretches out for.

Skinner is believable and credible in this episode, and it puts him nicely into the authoratarian ex-Nam veteran Principal that had been built up in the eleven years prior to this. Bart was true to his rebellious roots and was a nice catalyst for the takeover part of the story to occur.

The most entertaining parts of the episode, to me were the Homer and Flanders parts in the car. I especially enjoyed the bizarro dream Homer has, as it's quite true to many semi concious dreams that occur. It also works well in not dragging the viewer away from the action, like the poor movie at the beggining of the episode.

The animation is solid, and the snow theme was worked well here to a certain degree. I also didn't mind the jokes involving Homer's forgetfulness regarding his snow plow (it fits his bill perfectly) and the roof being "sawn" off of Flanders roof. Hilarious. The ending is also a throwaway gag (nothing more), and can't be held against the episode like a bout of panda rape, or a healthy dose of buzzard attacks.

Not great, but not bad. 6/10 (3/5)
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

3/5
    George Cauldron and Nebuchanezzar pointed out everything that's good and bad here.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

3/5, good story, just not that funny, and has little to no replay value
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

I recently rewatched this, and somehow I really enjoyed it; it was an really funny Season 12 episode with many funny gags. It also had a nice callback to Mr. Plow and I really like the bit with Chief Wiggum in the first act. The "slap your willie" around part was also quite funny, especially since i'm a fan of the groundskeeper. Certainly one of the better eps from S12.

4.5/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-25-2008 at 01:40 AM.

a surprisingly good episode from season 12.
    I especially like the sub-plot with Homer and Ned.
    It's really a funny couple in this story again.

4/5

4/5, a great episode from Season 12.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Blog Entries

Just rewatched this episode, and I'm giving it a 3.5/5, and being (very) generous, I voted 4/5. It's a humorous episode that is very Scully-esque, but it never truly dives into a deep abyss of ludicrous humor that the EP is infamous for. Yes, I know you want to be quick to point out the camel gags, but it is based on a hallucination, and NOT real life, as in "Computer Who Wore Menace Shoes" or "Monty Can't Buy Me Love".

And who says that the Christmas movie in the first act is unfunny? Have you seen some of those movies? The "song" that the Grinchy character sings is so dead-on with its wretchedly-slow tune and horrific lyrics...it's perfect. One of my favorite jokes from the Scully era, indeed.

Overall, I think the greatest reason on why I like this episode so much than I should is because it holds a certain degree of nostalgia for me. It was the last episode to air in the year I was introduced to the Simpsons and became an avid watcher; and not only that, but I had been watching the Christmas episodes (including the "Simpsons Roasting...") for the first time in my life, and seeing a BRAND-NEW Xmas episode of the Simpsons, one that would be treasured by fans forever (clearly I had a while before I stumbled onto the online Simpsons community to discover they had actually just past their prime)...it had to be watched. Unfortunately for me, I was at my grandparent's house. So...this was it. My "I'm-a-closeted-Simpsons-fan" coming out party. Sure I had been watching syndicated episodes (remember when they use to show the classics?) the entire summer prior and started to watch it religiously, but besides my parents once catching me in the middle of a viewing of "Separate Vocations", nobody really knew, or suspected about this. So there we were, me and my sister. Sunday morning and my grandparents tell us something that destroyed me: we're going out for dinner. The time? 7:30 PM. That's like, a half-hour before Simpsons. No way I'd ever make it back in time! So, I screwed up my courage and grabbed a videotape and presented it to my grandparents. "Can you set the VCR to tape at 8 on FOX". Then they asked...the question. "What for?" I looked at my sister. She'd never view me in the same way again. (pregnant pause) "The Simpsons". There it was! My confession as a Simpsons fan! They shrugged and set it up for me. That night I viewed it in giddy happiness and of course my sister looks at me and goes, "I knew it." Eventually, she would with time become a Simpsons fan (very casual, though) as well.

So, there you have it folks, "Skinner's Sense of Snow" caused me to admit my adoration of the Simpsons. If it were not for this episode, I may still be still watching it secretly with the door closed at all times and possibly could have never evolved into a way-more-thin-but-still-slightly-chubby version of CBG chatting with all of you. It came across to me that out of all of the Simpsons fan stories I've shared with you guys (if you've ever taken the time to read them, of course), I've never dished out this one. After watching the episode I felt like it and low and behold, this thread is on the front page of Episode Discussion. (huzzah!)

In conclusion...yeah, I liked the episode...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Thread Information