View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

136 37.47%
  • 4/5

130 35.81%
  • 3/5

68 18.73%
  • 2/5

15 4.13%
  • 1/5

14 3.86%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Fat Man and Little Boy" (FABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Nothin' wrong with that!

Wait, how would Homer fainting make him stupid and jerk-ass?

Oh and can anyone tell me why Poochie was Blue?

Wow, this was a great episode...until Homer entered the episode towards the end of act 2. His jokes in act 2 were completely unfunny and loud and embarrasing to watch. I'd rate the first 1.5 acts a 5/5 but the last half a 2/5. I loved the novelty expo, especially Krusty's line in the video, " Made for kids, by kids" and I thought the Osama bin Scratchy was hilarious as well as the Scratchy/Spongebob/(Itchy?) cartoon character.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

4/5....quite strong in a lot of places.......the second worthwhile episode of the season, so that brings the tally to 2 for 5.....

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    I think it's more of "new episode affirmative action". People now give the episodes more slack since the show's been on for so long. Why? Because the people who defend the show against the harsher critics usually begin with: "What do you expect? The show's been on for 16 years.".
    See, that arqument may have worked at ATS (where I believe you borrowed it from...?) but I can't think of anyone credible on NHC that defends pro-post-classic era opinions like that. People genuinely like new episodes because they see and enjoy the same qualities that first attracted them to the show, and I think you need to realize this. Nobody is cutting the show any slack or fooling themselves into liking new episodes, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apu Nahasapasawhatever
    At the start when Lisa and Janie are playing that clapping game .. with Homer being afraid of the dirty word . . .. I remember Mike Reiss in the DVD commentary from When Flanders Failed saying that he wanted to include that in the barbeque scene, but it just didnt work out properly. Had they done that in Flanders Failed, no one would be complaining about it. But since they used it in season 16 now everyone is saying how "stupid and jerk-ass" homer is.
    Who exactly claimed that this specific joke featured "stupid and jerk-ass" Homer?

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This was an interesting change of pace...

On the one hand, it's definately one of those "Just a bunch of stuff that happened" showings, with the story constantly shifting and changing. In a lot of episodes, this is the recipe for disaster (Simpsons Safari, Kill the Alligator and Run). However, it was pulled off pretty well tonight. The many aspects of the stories segued well into one another, and most of them ended up getting resolved as well. It did feel very fast-paced in the latter two acts (at times it almost felt like 22 Short Stories), but it still made sense and kept the main story regarding Homer and Bart in check.

Character-wise, everyone was in fine form. Good to see Bart up to his usual pranks again--controversial shirts with catchphrases (Hmm...where have we seen those before?), and firing spitballs made from Lisa's paper--and his "midlife crisis" was done pretty well. Homer and Lisa were back to their classic personas: Lisa was a very intelligent kid that still enjoyed, well, being a kid, and Homer was the dim-witted, easily-angered, lovable oaf that cares for his family. Marge wasn't seen often, but what was there ("Support our troops") was good. Great characterization on the family, and a generally good use of many minor characters as well (Martin, Sea Captain, the bullies, Nelson, Wiggum, Flanders, Apu, etc).

The strong point of this episode was the humor. In my opinion, the humor of this episode ranks right up there with The Way We Weren't and Tis the Fifteenth Season, and while the story wasn't nearly as great as those two episodes, the jokes were classic quality. Let's see, off the top of my head...

-Bart's shirt gags, the spitball war, Otto wrecking Chalmers' car, Duopoly, the "tooth fairy's" donation, the really well-written and unique Goose Gladwell character, Flanders' "Get Bent", "Well, this IS Christmas, sir", "Made for children, BY children!", the Itchy and Scratchy bit, the lion metaphor, the key under the rocks, "That's your donut money too!", the closet full of change (good use of slapstick), "Does not actually sort change", Homer's "Look how lousy [Korea's] animation is!", "Hahaha, you broke in!", "Yeah, that's how it starts...", and my personal favorite, "I'm hanging that on the mantle!"

The story was a bit fast-paced, but I was laughing near-constantly. Great showing, possibly my favorite of the season (and easily the funniest). I give it 4.5 out of 5! A-

This episode was okay, but I simply wanted more. The story flowed quite well and there were a good number of decent (if not great) jokes to keep the episode going. Bart and Homer were characterized pretty well, and Goose was a nice character to add to the cast. Still, this episode could have been great if the second half hadn’t strayed off with it’s plot so much. Even though the stories and plots tied together in the end, they felt so disjoint at first that I felt distracted and antsy to find out what anything that was happening had to do with the plot of Bart and his being distraught with getting older. The second half felt sloppy at first, but it corrected itself in the end. I wasn’t thrilled by seeing Eric Idle’s character back again, since it wasn’t entirely necessary and I was never a fan of his character to begin with. I was having a great time with this episode at first, but the second half keeps this episode from greatness. 3/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apu Nahasapasawhatever
    At the start when Lisa and Janie are playing that clapping game .. with Homer being afraid of the dirty word . . .. I remember Mike Reiss in the DVD commentary from When Flanders Failed saying that he wanted to include that in the barbeque scene, but it just didnt work out properly. Had they done that in Flanders Failed, no one would be complaining about it. But since they used it in season 16 now everyone is saying how "stupid and jerk-ass" homer is.
    I'm more surprised they used a similar clapping-song in Bart Sells his Soul.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

daydream wonder

Tonight's episode was the second-best of the season so far for me, behind Sleeping with the Enemy.

The humor was constant, and made me laugh a few times, which is pretty rare for me with a modern episode. Most of the jokes were entertaining, without any flopped gags, which I really liked. The story might not have been very notable, but it worked well, and I thought the new characters were good.

I'd give it a 4/5. Keep 'em coming, Al!
    Last edited by indivi; 12-12-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Edit: Ech, never mind, I don't want to ruin this thread.
    Last edited by DotheBartman; 12-12-2004 at 10:08 PM.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

frogophone

I think it's more of "new episode affirmative action". People now give the episodes more slack since the show's been on for so long. Why? Because the people who defend the show against the harsher critics usually begin with: "What do you expect? The show's been on for 16 years.".
    jake accuses people of using banal soundbytes to critique the simpsons

in related news, my irony detector is fucked

The cosmic ballet goes on.. Radioactive Man's Avatar

Anyone know if the scene from when flanders failed was ever animated or was it just an idea? The one in tonights episode was obviously new animantion.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Nerduli
    See, that arqument may have worked at ATS (where I believe you borrowed it from...?) but I can't think of anyone credible on NHC that defends pro-post-classic era opinions like that.
    Not all dissenting opinions originate from the Simpsons Newsgroup, folks. And how does a message's place of origin make it any less 'credible'? (And by that token, how does an opinion on the NHC make itself any more 'credible'?)

BTW, here's the quote in its entirety: "Hey, a bad episode is a bad episode. No need to give it "new season affirmative action". Sure, most of us accept that the show has gone downhill, and expressing disapproval of new episodes merely confirms that stance."

People genuinely like new episodes because they see and enjoy the same qualities that first attracted them to the show, and I think you need to realize this. Nobody is cutting the show any slack or fooling themselves into liking new episodes, get over it.
    This is a two-way street: Some people have so convinced themselves the new episodes suck, they've 'fooled' themselves into thinking the show is beyond hope. Whereas some people have fooled themselves into thinking "it's the Simpsons and it's better than 99% of the rest of TV" so they'll never give an episode less than a B- (3/5).

Quote Originally Posted by Tibor
    in related news, my irony detector is fucked
    You have an irony detector?

frogophone

This is a two-way street: Some people have so convinced themselves the new episodes suck, they've 'fooled' themselves into thinking the show is beyond hope. Whereas some people have fooled themselves into thinking "it's the Simpsons and it's better than 99% of the rest of TV" so they'll never give an episode less than a B- (3/5).
    whereas anyone whose posts on this board are worth any consideration at all give substantial criticism and appraisal of every episode, new episode or "classic" with actual regard to the content and quality of the show. you continue to characterize people who consistently enjoy the current show as brain dead, in denial or some of that other ats backwash (and vox is right, that's soooo ats). yawn yawn yawn non-substantial discussion. this bit wouldn't be so tiresome if you were dropping trenchant insight and relevant analysis. the people you are attacking behind all those qualifiers contribute the great depth of discussion on this board and don't just drop in to copy+paste some cliche from ats circa five years ago.

You have an irony detector?
    had an irony detector

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

And how does a message's place of origin make it any less 'credible'? (And by that token, how does an opinion on the NHC make itself any more 'credible'?)
    No, I meant credible NHC posters as opposed to other non-credible NHC posters (like the Marge suxxx crowd). I can't recall any of their defenses of their opinions starting with "What do you expect? The show's been on for 16 years." so it's not really as relevant here as it is on ATS, where the users who are regarded as credible do use that defense (I assume). A non-credible ATS user would be like...Xino Kiner.

At first, when I saw Homer get fired, I said to myself, here we go again with another Homer gets fired/Homer gets a new job plot. But this time his being fired fits in with the plot, both the Bart sells a t-shirt plot and the Lisa's science project subplot. I have nothing against Marge, but now that she isn't dominating the plot as she has in the last few episodes, we can get back to basics. The conclusion was open-ended, but still, I give this episode an A/A-, best episode of the season thus far.

I think that "Fat Man and Little Boy" is, so far, my favourite episode this season, plenty of laughs all the way through, and finally, an episode not focused around Marge (I'm not a big fan of Marge based episodes).

I'll give this episode a 5, A.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

the plot was treated very lightly and was very rambly but i was laughing far too much to care, a la "last exit to springfield" and "the front". which i guess is the desired result. great use of seemingly every background character in the show! B+

"don't hold my hand...it's creepy"

3/5

There were some drop-dead hilarious moments, but I was really irritated by the disjointedness of the episode. I really thought the whole Bart-grows-up s/l was going somewhere; instead it was just being used to launch a completely other s/l about *gag* t-shirts. It seems as if the writers cannot do a half hour plot anymore; a Simpsons episode now has to become a sketch comedy show or something with a bunch of non-related gags stitched together. That's why I thought last week's show was better (gave it a 5/5)-- it was a solid half hour plot, not one of those deals where you're not sure what the show is about.

I liked the funny gags guy (the dude who buys Bart's t-shirts), but I really wish the episode had not drawn him to look exactly like Willy Wonka. The writers keep doing this thing where they now include well known fictional characters from pop culture in their episodes (like the "Yeeeesssss" guy). To people old enough to remember these characters, this doesn't strike us as cute or funny-- just a sign of unoriginality.

Loved Eric Idle's appearance-- the part he voiced over (the nature show) was hysterical.

Junior Camper

Liked it, 3.5 of 5.

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

Overall, a solid episode the plot was fairly good, and the joke were good as well. It did seem a little slow, and sligthly boring in some parts but it was still one of the better episodes this season. I also agree with Strong Sad, it was nice to have an episode that didn't center around Marge. One thing bothers me about this episode though, how the hell could Homer build a working nuclear reactor, even with the instructions he's not smart enought to do it.

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner
    I had the feeling with the very first scene (Homer's reactions to Lisa's calpping game) that they were setting me up for a massive disappointement.
    What a great attitude to go in with!!

And yet they didn't, it all turned around with the scene at the expo. Starting with the "Made for children, BY children" line.
    Homer's "You broke in!" line made me laugh for some reason.And the only other real memorable joke was the Krusty Brand Geiger Counter.

4 slash 5!!!!
    So, three "memorable" jokes is enough to earn a 4/5 from you?
    I honestly just don't understand some of the knee-jerkers on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCootAbe
    Meh. 3/5 Grade: C

Again, a lot of funny one liners, but the plot was stupid. Pretty much the same thing I have said about every epsiode this season. I think the fact here that these episodes are so well recieved here means the bar has been lowered for most of you. I still hold the show to a higher standard, and it has failed me yet again.
    I think that this was more inadvertently-enlightening post about your assessment of yourself than enlightening about the actual episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Eart
    Do you know the reasoning behind this?
    The "lip animation" for dialogue is generally done back here in L.A. - the English is more familiar, and mouth movements can be changed later in the production process to accommodate later re-writes of dialogue.

I'm more surprised they used a similar clapping-song in Bart Sells his Soul.
    They've also done "Bubblegum, bubblegum in a dish...", and a few other distinct skip-rope and 'patty-cake' classic songs, of which there are many, and which many young girls have been singing for generations.

Quote Originally Posted by The "Urban" Lenny
    One thing bothers me about this episode though, how the hell could Homer build a working nuclear reactor, even with the instructions he's not smart enought to do it.
    Did anyone other than Homer claim that it actually worked as an actual reactor, and not just a device that was leaking radioactivity from the loose plutonium?

-So, what happened to Rod & Todd taking part in the spitball fight?

Intentional. "Slave labor - you get what you pay for."

- Some great gag-runs, a la the T-shirts in general, the parodies of classic games (esp. "Ravenous, Ravenous Rhinos"), the novelty devices, and Krusty T-shirts at the convention.

-Loved the true-to-life scene of the moment when Bart 'puts aside' his 'childish things' with his new perspective, for the "Viking funeral".

-Liked the way Desmond was just sort of 'dropped in' casually, without much 'fanfare' for the cameo.

-Sort of mixed about Hank re-using his "Seuss"-ian voice for Goose, but at least it worked in context. (The line - which I can't recall word-for-word - about 'trusting kids with an older, unmarried guy with a goofy sensibility' was razor-sharp. Jafar mentioned my other fave - Martin's robot's "creepy" line.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbabe
    I liked the funny gags guy (the dude who buys Bart's t-shirts), but I really wish the episode had not drawn him to look exactly like Willy Wonka. The writers keep doing this thing where they now include well known fictional characters from pop culture in their episodes (like the "Yeeeesssss" guy). To people old enough to remember these characters, this doesn't strike us as cute or funny-- just a sign of unoriginality.
    Right - they're just doing it "now". Forget about Krusty, McBain, Itchy, Scratchy, Quimby, Radioactive Man, the Myers family, Lucious Sweet, Tatum, etc. And the "Yesss Guy" is based not a 'fictional' character, but one character actor that used his own catch-phrase in many separate 'fictional' roles. (And I'm aware that some of the ones I listed are based not on "fictional" people - but they are[ based on the pop-culture caricatures of them, rather than the 'real' items.)

It's hardly a sign of "unoriginality" - when you see the obvious "Wonka" look, its a parody that tells you all that you need to know about this one-episode guy without having to do any additional exposition - the picture is worth a thousand words. They're then free to totally subvert the one-note character, with the 'creepy' overtones, the 'Nam references to his sanity, and the fact that he rips off Bart, as opposed to the 'real' Wonka of that story. (Its also a nice subtle criticism of "Wonka" in that a magical, goofy guy with a whimsical bag of tricks would actually be far more suited to running a novelty-item business than running a candy-factory.)

nightmare ridicule

Simpsons' plot

In response to all the griping about the plot:

Simpson's plots have always been strange because they're rarely ever funny in and of themselves. I don't think I ever laugh reading what a Simpsons episode is about, whereas in a show like Seinfeld most of the humor is based on the plot. There have been some exceptions (Homer becomes obese to gain disability) but for the most part, Simpson's plots are basically a skeleton to dangle funny jokes off of. Last week's episode had an engaging plot that saw through to a linear conclusion, but I didn't find many of the jokes funny, so the episode was underwhelming. This episode had a convoluted plot but was very funny. Whereas I watch the Simpsons for the satire/humor I'll take convoluted and hilarious to straightforward and tame. Naturally you need some balance, which is why some episodes get a bit too convoluted in plot, mostly from 11 and 12, which just becomes disengaging. Having a nice story is great, and The Simpsons are one of maybe 3 TV shows where the story is not ALWAYS predictable (anyone who has every sat through an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond especially when he screws up unnecesarily and ends up in the doghouse/can't get laid will attest to this) but humor is ten times more important for my Simpsons enjoyment (explaining why season 1 is my least favorite--all good stories, but lacking in humor).

More Then Meets The Eye!! silentmike's Avatar

Another Great Episode, I'm Giving It 5/5

Its like this can't be real, I turn on an episode expecting to be the usual "Its Ok but Its not great" reaction, and here is another icredible episode from the underrated season 16, that has been dishing out a (dare I say it) classic episode almost every week. Up Up and Up since season 15 the show is starting to get better again!

This Episode, possibly my favourite’s one this season so far, had all the elements that make the character work. One the whole family were very human, two the story was more focus on then the jokes, and three pretty much all the family were involved. I saw this episode going like, Bart becomes rich doesn't need homer anymore and goes out of the story until a small joke at the end, while Homer is doing something unrelated for the rest of the 15 mins, Nope.

It starts with Bart losing his tooth (I didn't see anything related to saving private Ryan, but whatever), learns the harsh facts about growing up (true because about ten you do start to give up toys and stuff), and after having a bit of trouble eventually starts to make money off t-shirts. Then Homer gets fired (for now anyway) and starts taking money off Bart, I liked the fact that Bart wasn't showing off his money and taking over as man of the house, just Homer was taking money because he didn't have it. Homer starts showing a bit of love to Lisa without it getting to zany, Bart get conned by the wily wonker type weirdo guy, and Homer realises Bart does need him and helps him out. The End

Plenty of funny jokes as well, the lion thing was well done, some funny one liners from homer, and some of the t-shirts were quite cleaver.

5/5 Nuff Said, Season 16 Rules!!

THOH 15 - Not Great
    All's Fair in Oven War - Excellent
    Sleeping With The Enemy - Okay
    She Used To Be My Girl - Excellent
    Fat Man And Little Boy – Excellent
    TILL ALL ARE ONE...and all that!

COMING TO NEWGROUNDS VERY SOON!

www.newgrounds.com

"As Felt in Braille Weekly"

I'm glad someone brought up the Support Our Troops line. That caught me off guard, until I realised it was a dig at the right-wing.

Thanks for giving me the name of the poem, too.

Excellent...

THis was excellent and gets a 5/5 from me, best episode in years.
    Season Rankings:

5>6=4>3=8>2=7>9>10>16*=12>1>13>14>15>11

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Some of the early Bart Simpson merchandice had him wearing a blue shirt. It could be a dig at that. Just like when Homer thought Bart always wore blue in one episode.

it was just ok, it had some really funny moments, I loved how it started and Homer was getting all scared at the lyrics of the song
    I give it a 3/5 ...... this season really needs to bring an episode that's just plain funny from beginning to end
    "I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming."
    Homer Simpson

I can't believe the last four episodes have been from the same production line as "Bart-Mangled Banner". This year's episodes have felt different overall. The plots are generally less distinct, but simple pleasant storylines with light feeling to them. It's not a bad thing, but if it continues, it's going to result in an enjoyable, but probably forgettable season. Theyve been good episodes, but they hold no possibilities of becoming true classics IMO. "Sleeping With the Enemy" is the one that comes close in any way. But I'm not too worried, since "Midnight Rx", "There's Something About Marrying", "Homer and Ned's Hail-Mary Pass", "Goo Goo Gai Pan", "Future-Drama" and "Mommie Beerest" suggest slightly more quirky episodes are coming.
    Signature.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers III
    Jafar mentioned my other fave - Martin's robot's "creepy" line.
    i'm just a sucker for monotonously voiced robots. like cylon & garfunkel, or linguo.
    Last edited by prince jafar allah; 12-13-2004 at 11:40 AM.

This episode had some very funny moments and the plot was executed rather nicely. The beginning, with the spit-ball fight, was probably my least favourite moment in the episode, just seemed too-cartoon-y. The episode really progressed nicely. That crazy guy who started selling Bart's shirts wasn't that interesting or funny, although most of the comments from other people about his weirdness were humourous (Homer's "He broke in?" line was great, in my opinion). The episode just got even better when the Homer/Lisa thing came into the episode. The ending with Homer helping Bart was also nice (although, when I heard Homer say he'd kick the guy's ass I was thinking that it could end up being like the end of Smart and Smarter, although, thankfully he never). Some really funny moments and a fun plot, despite one or two little flaws that aren't worth nitpicking at. 4/5

Best of the Season, so far, for me. But that's only because my opinion is horribly retarded.

Also, are the "deleted scene" credits here to stay? It's nice to see, I just think it would be stupid to start something like that this late, I mean if every episode in GABF run (and up) will have them, it would be... weird. Starting a "tradition" this little is a pretty stupid idea...

Thread Information