View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
362. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

136 37.57%
  • 4/5

129 35.64%
  • 3/5

68 18.78%
  • 2/5

15 4.14%
  • 1/5

14 3.87%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Fat Man and Little Boy" (FABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Tisk, I should be ashamed of myself for not waiting until it came on the 9th of January on SkyOne - Why? I dunno really but anyways for the first time I happened to check it out on the net.

No mumbojumbo - A really enjoyable episode and overall pretty amusing. Also don't know if it's been brought up, but was Homer not Suspended without pay and not actually fired?

Anyways, a great first 5 episodes of Season 16!

Stonecutter

Good to see the return of Martin Prince this season. (Sleeping With the Enemy and Fat Man and Little Boy). As I think he only appeared once in S15!
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 12-14-2004 at 09:45 AM.

Season 16 is amazing so far.

7/10

Anyone for pennis jokes? I'm David Croket!'s Avatar

Much better than I Thought. Loads of visual gags, great jokes and lines and one of the best uses of Springfield characters in ages. I can't almost remember an awful joke. A solid B+ Eric Idle was funnier than is role of Decland Desmond.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Surprised no one's complained about Homer licking plutonium, considering how much fan scorn it got back in season 11 (EIEID'oh and Hello Gudder).

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    Surprised no one's complained about Homer licking plutonium, considering how much fan scorn it got back in season 11 (EIEID'oh and Hello Gudder).
    I complained about it in my review. I really disliked that part - it was a call back to EIEID'oh and Hello Gutter and should not have been repeated.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers III
    - novelty products: Poisoned Ice, exploding earplugs, mood lollipops… what else was there?
    At the top of the aisle was my very favorite, Erotic Ashtrays.

Quote Originally Posted by simplysimpsons
    I complained about it in my review. I really disliked that part - it was a call back to EIEID'oh and Hello Gutter and should not have been repeated.
    Oh come on, Homer's (and Springfield's) lax attitude towards everything radioactive and its seeming noneffect (or ridiculous effect) on everyone and everything has been present since the show began, at least going back to when Burns and the inspectors were standing knee-deep in radioactive water in "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish".

Anyway, my quick little review here, for those curious. And reading other reviews here (mostly Jimbo's), I have to ask, what's so bad about Goose Gladwell?

B+

A very humor-based episode that didn't really put much focus on plot. That's not a bad thing, of course. The first act got the episode off to a pretty strong start, although Bart "giving up" his childhood seemed a little rushed. Still, an entertaining start.

The second act was even better. Everything after Bart started making T-shirts was funny with no jokes that really seemed to fall flat. Bart's roadside stand, the Itchy and Scratchy shirts, all of Goose's scenes. Lots of funny parts. I especially liked Homer's amused "You broke in!" (Classic Homer). And it's always nice to see Mr. Burns and Smithers again, even if it is just for a brief scene.

In the end, things were wrapped up pretty nicely and I liked the way the plots came together. Glad to see that Homer can be a good father without seeming out of character.

B+/A-

Pobody’s Sherfect, Nithead!
    My favorite one.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    At the top of the aisle was my very favorite, Erotic Ashtrays.
    + untoastable bagels

yer wha?

champion 5/5 - worth the wait

one line that had me in stitches:

"Yeah, nothin makes parents happier than when an eccentric single man takes an interest in their child"

just a total and utter bitch slap to charlie and the chocolate factory - perfect
    Last edited by Blythy; 12-14-2004 at 01:09 PM. Reason: gettin da quote right
    If I start making sense, I'm not making sense.

Oh...I thought that quote was a jab at Michael Jackson. Oh well.

Great episode. Hilarious jokes all over the place. 4/5.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Channel Surfer
    And reading other reviews here (mostly Jimbo's), I have to ask, what's so bad about Goose Gladwell?
    What, my inaccurate throwaway comparison to Patch Adams wasn't enough? I just didn't find the character very interesting... or funny. I mean, he basically acted like a circus clown. Everybody hates circus clowns. I do. Are we supposed to give this guy a break just because he didn't wear makeup?
    signature

yer wha?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdan
    Oh...I thought that quote was a jab at Michael Jackson. Oh well.
    probably that too.

and a stab at all that hysteria concerning that area.

(was I one of the two people in the uk who thought that brass eye was funny as hell?)

annoying internet geek #1

I say, this is definatly a great episode. It hits the right notes, and comes off very funny.
    The episode covers something that everyone has been through, that change from Childhood bliss to the cyncism that comes with being a teenager. My favorite is the bit with the action figures.
    Also, this is an episode where multiple dynamics are handled sensibly and works on a great level. The way they handled both Homer's and Bart's storylines is something that would have failed in the past few years.
    I have to say that this might go down as one of the greatest episodes ever.

Well, I finally downloaded it after missing it on Sunday.

Before I even get to the episode itself, I'm glad to see they could finally work in that gag they had to cut from "When Flanders Failed". Anyway, this one didn't waste any time getting into the main plot, and it had a lot of good jokes along the way (Otto's scene comes to mind). Bart's action figure fantasy was good - both of them - and the use of "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas really helped the scene where Bart gives his toys a funeral. It's good to see that they're using music to their advantage on the show. I had to keep pausing to catch all of Bart's T-shirts, but they were good, and Moe's Calvin and Hobbes line was hilarious. The Goose guy was delightfully twisted, and inspired Homer's great line about "a weirdo taking interest in our son". And seamlessly, the plot segues into Homer's story, which was also satisfactory - began on a good Burns scene and continued through a great role reversal. The scene with Homer and Lisa playing Malibu Stacy made me smile (it's always comforting to see Homer be a good father every so often). The plot even wrapped up great. This is Homer and Bart at their best in a while - and it's always good to see a realistic episode every now and then.

4.5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Wow, voting is separated by 1 vote. Yeah it is a close voting.

Someone up-thread asked where the "Saving Private Ryan" reference was - it was in the "shakey-cam" effect (great direction, IMO,) and metallic ringing sound of the spitball barrage in that scene.

Channel Surfer: that was a great review! I wanted to point out one joke, though, that might not have translated overseas: the "rock-key" thing. Over here there's a widely available "hide-a key" product; a plastic half-rock that holds a key underneath it, so that the short-term-memory-impaired don't lock themselves out of the house. Its supposed to go in one's garden or yard, where there are lots of other rocks, so that it blends in, camoflaged. But the SNPP - which should, and did, have high-tech ultra-secure measures protecting it - was using two of these cheap rock 'systems', in areas in which there were no other rocks around, and they would have stuck right out. (Many apologies if you already 'got' this.)

You know, the overwhelming love for this episode is a huge credit to the writers and the collective writing-process of OFF. Because so mant people have mentioned the 'cohesive' and 'realistic' (which is pretty funny,) nature of the plotting, and even praised Joel H. Cohen personally for it, it shows how great an episode can become despite the odd process.

I mean, I loved this ep, too. But look at it realistically: Cohen pitched the "Bart has a 'mid-life crisis' idea, and wrote an outline and first draft. The second 2/3's, however, got chucked out and completely overhauled and re-developed by the staff. Other elements, ideas, jokes and plot-points were added (including, as many above noted, one dating back to S2, which was probably now back in-mind due to the taping of the commentaries for that DVD release.)

This was one of the very last episodes from the "S15" production runs, and the writers folded in other ideas that were remaining on the "index cards on the bulletin board" which hadn't been used previously, and/or had been excised from previous episodes.

Sometimes, this results in a lackluster "just a bunch of stuff that happens" plot. But sometimes - like now - it can be collectively polished into a wonderful JABOSTH plot, which flows naturally and really works. All credit to Al Jean for this - he oversees the process, and he could have just as easily just be 'burned out' at that time in the production run, and cranked out a sub-standard ep. Instead, the guy just rocked this one. (To use a musical analogy: it could;ve been just a "b-sides collection", and instead it was like the Who's "Odds & Sods")

Pin Pal

Good episode. There were lots of funny jokes and good references. The only problem was the plot's focus went back and forth between Bart and Lisa. B+

The Spring in Springfield

I think it might have been forgettable. Since I watched it on Sunday and couldn't even remember what it was about, even after reading the synopsis, sadly...

Channel Surfer: that was a great review! I wanted to point out one joke, though, that might not have translated overseas: the "rock-key" thing. Over here there's a widely available "hide-a key" product; a plastic half-rock that holds a key underneath it, so that the short-term-memory-impaired don't lock themselves out of the house. Its supposed to go in one's garden or yard, where there are lots of other rocks, so that it blends in, camoflaged. But the SNPP - which should, and did, have high-tech ultra-secure measures protecting it - was using two of these cheap rock 'systems', in areas in which there were no other rocks around, and they would have stuck right out. (Many apologies if you already 'got' this.)
    Thanks. If you were specifically talking about me and the rock joke, I did catch it. Didn't live overseas, was an American suburban child.

Welcome to the board!
    Thanks for the welcome, Roger. It's greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not going to address the rest of your post, because it was just too exhausting to read and respond to. You basically over-analyzed everything to death; it was practically a filibuster.

Again, sorry, CS. Big "D'oh!" on my part.

Simpsonsbabe - you're very welcome - we're all fans here!

But that answer to you actually took almost no "analysis" at all - most of it was just listing examples, and I had the time to do so ottomh.

Here's a much shorter version: What you're complaining about as "something new they've been doing" - introducing characters that are parodies of characters from other fictional works - has been done a lot since at least S3, and Goose was less a part of this ep than Lyle Lanley or Sharry Bobbins was of theirs.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Goose was less a part of this ep than Lyle Lanley or Sharry Bobbins was of theirs.
    That's true, though I think Goose Gladwell wasn't really intended to act much like Willy Wonka anyway (unlike the other two characters). He was designed to look like him, but his personality was a bit different.

I enjoyed Gladwell's character, though, especially the comments he brought out of other characters.

Junior Camper

Well I finally watched this episode and I thought it was quite good for the most part! It offered more laughs and was more entertaining than most other recent episodes.

B+
    Last edited by nebula; 12-18-2004 at 03:09 PM.

This episode had its moments, but it's just not a truly memorable episode in my mind...in the end it's really about average and therefore gets a 3/5 from me.

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

The "lip animation" for dialogue is generally done back here in L.A. - the English is more familiar, and mouth movements can be changed later in the production process to accommodate later re-writes of dialogue.
    That aside, the primary reason for separating the mouth onto its own layer is because it is moving and the rest of the body is not, so you only redraw the part that's moving. When the mouth and body are moving at the same time, they're usually merged and drawn on the same layer. In the episodes drawn on cels, you can see Homer's muzzle pop back and forth between layers. Most other characters had to have their whole heads traced over or duplicated, but with the digital ink and paint, all characters now get their mouths separated.

RM3, maybe you know better about the specific way things are done on The Simpsons, but my understanding of the usual lip sync process is this: Someone in the US does the track reading (going through the dialogue and identifying the sounds on each frame) and these are then listed as mouth positions. The overseas artists then refer to a chart of mouth positions, and simply put in the corresponding one on each frame. This way they are not actually responsible for figuring out how the dialogue should be represented, but they still get to do the tedious part of the process.

There was a mistake in the fake error though. When Homer's muzzle is moved to the side, it doesn't have a notch cut out of it where the Homer's nose goes. Can't the overseas animators even make a mistake correctly?

A recent mistake I've been seeing more often in the mouths lately is that occasionally inbetween mouth positions will have square teeth instead of round. There was at least one of these in this episode, and there was a real obvious one in The Wandering Juvie (as Bart walks away laughing with the wedding registration gun).

And a completely unrelated error: when the change machine actor opens the door, the front portion of his face disappears for a frame.
    Last edited by Jerry P.; 12-18-2004 at 07:16 PM.

8 glasses of gravy a day Jeffster's Avatar

What character is the "Yesss" guy based on? I can't remember anybody acting like that in anything I've seen. Was he in very old movies or something?

People keep saying they downloaded the episode. How/where can you download Simpsons episodes?

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster
    How/where can you download Simpsons episodes?
    i believe you can do that on the internet

Thread Information