View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

59 15.65%
  • 4/5

92 24.40%
  • 3/5

121 32.10%
  • 2/5

73 19.36%
  • 1/5

32 8.49%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "She Used to Be My Girl" (FABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "She Used to Be My Girl" (FABF22)

From SNPP

Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City) guest voices as one of Marge's high school friends who is now a famous newscaster, leading Marge to wonder (yet again) if putting her own plans aside to marry Homer was such a good idea.
    You can view the preview/speculation thread for more details. Also, due to popular demand, there will be no awful voting poll jokes this week. And I had some truly atrocious jokes involving Sex and the City planned.

The thread and poll will open once the episode airs.

Galalimit

A pretty good episode I guess but a little bit boring. I give it a B.

5/5. perfect.

Funny, good character development, but the Deus ex machina plot save at the end was a little too abrupt.

4/5

Pretty good episode, lot of funny bits. A little over the top with the ending though. 3/5. B-.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

The cosmic ballet goes on.. Radioactive Man's Avatar

Everything after Homer's and Cloe's twitching was good. That was really wierd seeing that right after the commercial. Some really lame jokes thrown in to an otherwise good episode. Loved Bob Dylan.

It tastes like burning!

Very good ep. I thought the bit at the end with Spongebob was hilarious...

also the part in the beginning with the "We are the Champions" bit with the Fox/ Bush Cheney truck was great too.
    NEW EPS OF FAMILY GUY MAY 1ST!!!

4/5. I loved the Chief Wiggum part, and then the producer guy talking about Julia Roberts, laughing, then saying "seriously though, he's dead."
    And that's the end of that chapter.

pretty rad

Honestly?

Laughed the hardest at the Bush/Fox News joke at the beginning. In the middle, a lot of boring stuff, and in the end a bunch of crazy stuff that wasn't terrible but was just weird, not incredibly funny (namely the Barney/Chloe copterfuck). Not unwatchable, but not one of the best either.

Spongebob?
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Harry Potter's Bitch

I had tears when i saw the spongebob thing, i dont know why it was so damn funny. it preety much made the whole episode, well made it very funny. it was too serious of an episode, so 4/5.

I enjoyed this episode. A lot of good bits, and I thought Kim Catrall did a pretty good job. Always like guest stars not playing themselves.

Junior Camper

not sure what to think yet. i REALLY enjoyed the first two acts. i thought it set up for a fantastic finish, but the ending with the volcano was too much like the forest fire w/ barney once again saving the day. luckily the sex in the city joke kinda made it ok.

overall i thought the visual gags were great. the first act was really well paced and Kim's character was introduced really well. i thought it was one of the better guest spots in a long time.

again still not sure what to think. the flash backs were awesome as was Kim, but another shaky ending makes me confused.

right now its a solid addition to the show, 4/5
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm...Kim Cattrall did a great job and a few jokes were really funny, like the Wiggum line: "This Lava's not hurt anyone!", followed by the guy on fire and the "Keep Away from Kent Brokman", but otherwise it was a sleeper.

Grade: C/C+ (3/5)

Jake

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Can't Talk. Eating.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by My Lethal Needle
    Funny, good character development, but the Deus ex machina plot save at the end was a little too abrupt.

4/5
    This episode has something to do with a video game and a term from Final Fantasy?

I thought it was a good episode but the ending was really, really weird...
    Top 2 jokes:

2.Somebody had to take the babysitter home. Then I noticed she was sitting on-her-sweet-can. So I grabbed-her-sweet can. Oh, just thinking about-her-can. I just wish I had-her-sweet-sweet-s-s-sweet can!

1. Homer-Hey you $#@*, you cut me off. $#*@ to you!
    Lisa- Dad, that's an ambulance
    Homer-Right, honey. Hey ambulance! You think you're so big with your $@#^ *%$# siren. And your letters are on backwards!

Top 3 THOH Qoutes:

3. Selma as Homer runs naked across kitchen-There goes the last lingering thread of my heterosexuality.
    2. Delirious Mr. Burns-I was walking through the gas one day!
    1. Flanders-Hey, Homer, mind if I chew your ear
    (Homer shoots Flanders)
    Bart-Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders
    Homer-He was a zombie?

Is this a setup to the recall?

A pleasant episode throughout, but not without a few problems. First off, gotta say..that Homer bone-choke joke made me groan HARD. Secondly, I think they could have played up Marge's frustration with Chloe more before she attacked her. Secondly, Lisa's admiration could have also been emphasized more, mainly to make her disobedience towards Marge more sympathetic.

Those miffs aside, the show was plotted well, getting moving very quickly and keeping the jokes coming at an even pace. The opening with the dog's medicine wrapped in cheese was enjoyable since that has been an everlasting trick and trend in my household with my dog. The Bob Dylan take was a lark, Homer's assumption that the ladies were fighting over her, Homer's "what do women want!?" scene, and especially Barney's second fire rescue and the "Sex in the City" gag (hilarious). I didn't really get the ending joke with Lake Placid..someone help me on that one? And the inclusion of a cut scene in the end credits was odd, but welcome. Hell if they're looking for a new staple to give the show, then by all means, this would be a good one. The volcano angle I actually enjoyed though. Since the episode had primarily taken place in the Simpsons home up to this point, I thought it was a necessary change, and an exciting one. I think from this episode we've covered all the Season 16 commercial bits.

Moe is being used as a funny side character lately. I get the impression that writers have a fascination with him now, because of that couch gag (the chalkboard gag was weak though).

More thoughts as the thread progresses.
    Signature.

free cheese

Jesus, more Season 16 gold! A great chalkboard and couch gag leads into a great set-up (the FOX News gag was hilarious). Chloe gets introduced right away, with Kim Catrall doing a great job as guest voice. Her scenes were all laugh-worthy, mustly due to the other characters clashing with her (Homer's chicken bone bit, for instance, and her Bob Dylan interview was great). Having Lisa look up to her was a good direction for the story to take, as it gave Marge an opportunity to show a side that she doesn't reveal very often. Surprisingly, the volcano thing didn't bother me much - it actually wrapped up the story in a way I liked. It wasn't really surreal, and it gave some good gags too (Wiggum's lines, Marge's bit about her hair, etc.). And before anyone complains about how Barney is sober again, I'm pretty sure he just sobered up to save Chloe and for no other reason (note the belch). But the most interesting part - a deleted scene during the credits! That's certainly a new one, and it's probably why we got an extended opening this week. In all, a solid episode with a memorable one-shot character and a good dose of humor and characterization.

4.5/5

EDIT: Tomacco, I'm pretty sure the Lake Placid gag meant that if Marge had become a journalist, USA would never have won the hockey game there in 1980 (you know how in science fiction, when someone goes back in time and does something differently it affects something that doesn't seem to be related).

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    I didn't really get the ending joke with Lake Placid..someone help me on that one?
    My guess is in Marge's fantasy she becomes a professional reporter, but the 1980 Gold Medal hockey team never happens... ???

Pin Pal

4.5/5 - Great episode!!!

The best of there year so far. Everyone was in character except for a few moments like Homer strangling Bart for no reason. There were plenty of great moments and the storyline was great. I liked how a large portion of it took place at dinner, it is something that has rarely been seen. Chloe is easily the best one-timer in a long time. A

a solid episode. loved the "we are the champions" bit. 4/5.

What is the sex and the city joke? I don't watch the show. Maybe it was obvious and I just missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by HotMilhouse977
    This episode has something to do with a video game and a term from Final Fantasy?

I thought it was a good episode but the ending was really, really weird...
    huh?

huh?

Had a few good jokes as mentioned (spongebob and fox news the best), but the plot line was too thin over the first two acts and hurt this episode in my opinion. C

It tastes like burning!

radioactive man- well the fact that women have SEX in the CITY. lol, jp. and the music playing is the theme song.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Man
    What is the sex and the city joke? I don't watch the show. Maybe it was obvious and I just missed it.
    The theme song playing over the humping helicopter.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

The Sex and the City joke was the helicopter and the music playing then.

Very meh episode. I loved the Foxnews/BC04 gag though.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Crotis Jivefunk

It was a good effort, but the worst of the season so far. My poorly formatted review, positives first. Chloe was a good one time character. I enjoyed her scenes with the other reporters and Lisa. Good callbacks to the Way We Was and Days of Wine and D'ohses. Homer had a few funny lines like the ones Tomacco mentioned, and I loved the Mayor's bastard children and Moe working in the HS cafeteria. Good reference to Fox News. The plot was also enjoyable, and was started in the first two minutes. Negatives, Homer got on my nerves a few times, talking about his penis and choking Bart for no reason, and a few other jokes like Homer puking in the tuba. The plot also could've had more going on. Overall, a solid episode and better than the past two Long outings.
    Season ratings:
    THOH XV: B+
    All's Fair in Oven War: B
    Sleeping With The Enemy: A
    She Used To Be My Girl: B-/C+
    Last edited by Snow Miser; 12-05-2004 at 05:58 PM.

blah. this episode just wasn't that funny, or that good to do anything for me. if felt like its been done many times before, and more successfully.

C

THOH XV - B
    All's Fair in Oven War - A-
    Sleeping With The Enemy - B+
    She Used To Be My Girl - C

Thread Information