View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
444. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: I'd sleep with this episode.

167 37.61%
  • 4/5: I'd sleep with this episode after a few drinks.

153 34.46%
  • 3/5: I'd fool around with this episode.

71 15.99%
  • 2/5: Needs more Julia Roberts in a bath tub.

24 5.41%
  • 1/5: *insert awful one liner*

29 6.53%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Sleeping With the Enemy" (FABF19)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Sleeping With the Enemy" (FABF19)

From SNPP

Bart has a new roommate - Nelson, who is taken in by Marge when she feels her own kids are ignoring her; Lisa lets schoolyard teasing get to her physically
    You can view the preview/speculation thread for more details.

The thread and poll will open once the episode airs.

stop happening

A little better then last weeks episode. Still not that good though. 3.5/5. I'll vote 4 though.
    Season rankings (best to worst)

5/5, what an outstanding episode.

I thought they showed nelson's father in the episode with homer being the coach of the pee-wee football league

pretty rad

Was it just me, or was there a sign at the bowling alley that said 'NHC'?

HI, SIMPSONS WRITERS

Ahem.

Not bad. Great plotwise, nothing too much on the humour side, but it was a clever idea. I know folks are going to have a problem with the whole Lisa-being-out-of-character thing, but at least she wasn't completely looney-off-the wall. A good start to my season (I didn't see it last week).

Hey, they played the full credits without split-screen! Awww, awesome.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

wow, what an outstanding episode (sans the terrible ending)!

Junior Camper

Possibly the best since Special Edna

5/5

5/5 very good episode. the main plot and subplot were great. i liked to see a nelson episode. the milhouse and ralph gags were very funny. it was realy funny when homer drew himself and said about the M and the G. im liking this season alot so far.
    King of the Hill
    Beavis and Butthead
    The Artist Formally Known As Michael Bolton

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
    Record List
    Best Simpsons Episode Ever = Lemon of Troy

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was another episode that stretched the limits of having a great episode, but an even more silly explainative point towards the last two minutes and the only other nit was Ralph's "duck-duck-duck" WTF should've been a few seconds shorter.

Oh well--better than last week's, but with an ending inspired by (and for) circus freaks, it's a B+. Would've been an A Minus...

EDIT: Just read it was directed by Lauren M. Yep, it's official, she's the best director cuz the 'camera' angles were freaking awsome!
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 11-21-2004 at 05:43 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Liked it. A-. Will review in greater detail after a second viewing.
    Season rankings: 4, 7, 2, 3, 6, 5, 8, 15, 1, 16, 9, 14, 13, 17, 12, 10, 11

Enjoy!

5/5 FINALLY!! I really loved this episode. Everyone was in character. Lisa went nuts like when she was the lizard queen. I hope the rest of this season will be like this. It was like old times. I loved it!! WAAAy better than last weeks!
    NO MATTER HOW HORRIBLE THINGS MAY SEEM, THEY CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE.

Hired Goon

Not a bad episode. The episode was a little light on humor, I only had a handful of good laughs, but the plot was original and interesting, and both plots wrapped up well. Better than last week's in that they were able to pull off two simultaneous plots without the episode feeling crammed. Right up there with the THOH for best of the season.

B+

I also missed last weeks, so I was pretty excited for this one. I knew, however, after seeing that awful couch gag that this would be weak. I pray to God that the rest of the season is not as bad as this. At least it got few chuckles out of me, keeping it from being a complete waste of my time. Hated it. D+

This felt very much like a classic episode to me, in many ways because it was paced well and attention was given to both storylines. My only issue was with the ending, in a minor way, simply because the revelation about Nelson's dad was too wacko for my tastes. Overall though I thought there were more funny moments in this one than in both episodes so far this season, and nothing fell uncomfortably flat. A couple bits were unnecessary, like the second outing for Ralph's "duck duck duck..". This time around I liked the meta-reference (to how to draw Homer).

And for the love of God, why can't every director be Lauren Macmullan. In all seriousness, this was the best Macmullan episode to date, just absolutely gorgeous throughout.

I'll give more thoughts on the episode later, but I thought it was great.
    Signature.

Pin Pal

5/5, but how can it take years for you to come back to Springfield when it took Nelson's dad 2 minutes to tell what happened. Anyways, amazing storyline, I had doubts about this episode at first but now I think it's one of the best episodes.

huh?

Great episode. Ending was a little bit rusty, but Nelson was great in this, a pretty good Lisa subplot, and great directing. A

Pin Pal

O does anyone know the lyrics to Nelson's song he sings about his dad? I didn't put this in the Q&A thread because I thought this would get more replies because people who have seen the episode will post here.

Well, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I missed a bit of the third act, but I think they should have had more of Nelson living with the Simpsons. Maybe have him move in at the beginning of the second act. I wonder if we will ever see more of Nelsons father/mother... The Lisa sub plot was okay, but it didn't have many laughs. The ending was the worst part. All in all, this is a pretty good good episode and lets hope that they improve as the season grows older.

3.5/5

Galalimit

Very good job Al Jean ,4 out of 5. Only problem is abit too much Marge for my liking.

Crotis Jivefunk

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Was it just me, or was there a sign at the bowling alley that said 'NHC'?
    I freeze-framed it, it said N.H.C. Champions. I couldn't read the text under that. Anyways, this episode was great and what I expected. Not the funniest in the world, but it had alot of good moments, fantastic direction, nice plot, and characters were dead on. The ending was fucked up though. A-, 5/5 on the poll.

Season ratings:
    THOH XV: B+
    All's Fair in Oven War: B-
    Sleeping With the Enemy: A-

Too add, I thought this was one of Marge's best characterizations in recent memory.

I thought that this episode was in many ways the opposite of last week's. A strong plot and a week subplot. This subplot really was bad, I didn't like seeing Lisa this much out of character. like the show admitting that they can't solve a problem overnight but that doesn't bring up its value. The plot was very strong other than the explanation of Mr. Muntz's disappearence. B+

Wow,

The entire episode flowed nicely for once. The beauties of the earlier seasons were there in full force, the character expressions, the jokes being nicely paced, warm humour. The first and second acts had priceless expressions on Bart's face and just blew me away. They managed to make a down to earth plot without having to resort to any whackiness whatsoever (for instance, the trip in Special Edna). A/B transisitions were perfect and the plots intertwined in a logical sense.

It isn't perfection, but it's given me some hope back in the series. There were a few issues I found:
    -Meta-reference was a bit to explicit (though not too bad)
    -Ralph's "duck" joke was a lot less funny than the team thought it would be (they gave it too much time in an effort to make it really really funny. It works when it's something like the rake sequence but this didn't do it for me)
    -The third act fell apart. There was no resolution for the family, they were still corrupt in the end. The Dad sequence was totally out of place. They couldn't have just had his dad return and beg for forgiveness or something, oh no. It's almost as if they let Mike Scully produce the last three minutes of the show.

Anyway, my Simpsons interest has at least returned for the moment.
    5/5 just becuase I was comparing it to the last season
    Marge: Homer, has the weight loss tape reduced your appetite?
    Homer: Ah, lamentably no. My gastronomic rapacity knows no satieties.

The ending knocked it down a notch, but all in all acceptable. 4/5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It reads: N.H.C. Champs. Beaneath it, it reads "16 Seasons".

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Very well done episde. Lots of positive things. Like Tomacco said, some of the best characterization of Marge in years (and everyone else was in character too). It could have easily fit into season 3. However, it comes short of being a 5/5 episode for a few reasons: Homer strangling Bart for absolutely no reason, and it wasn't even out of sudden rage (this is a no-no and makes the strangling joke disturbing rather than funny), Lisa gorging on the cake (weird), and the explanation of Nelson's father's disappearance - the wacky explanation was a little out of place for the more serious tone of this episode. Other than that, the ending was by no means bad though, it just was wrapped up a little quickly.

And finally, it was a little low on the humor, but I can overlook that since everything else was done great. Seems like they've slowed the show's pace down a bit again after all these years, which is definately a welcome change. I give it a 4/5

PS: Why are Nelson and Bart sometimes friends, and other times they aren't, like in this episode?

PSS: Why didn't Patty and Selma speak at all at the "party"?

Quote Originally Posted by or_smth
    The third act fell apart. There was no resolution for the family, they were still corrupt in the end. The Dad sequence was totally out of place. They couldn't have just had his dad return and beg for forgiveness or something, oh no. It's almost as if they let Mike Scully produce the last three minutes of the show.
    If they had resolved everything, then it would be like every other Simpsons episode lately. For Lisa to claim "and I learned to accept my self-image" would be cheesy anyway, and that was really the only thing they had to resolve.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 11-21-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous

PSS: Why didn't Patty and Selma speak at all at the "party"?
    I was waiting for Mrs. Bouvier to speak since she hasn't uttered a word since "Lady Bouvier's Lover" and has only shown up in background shots until this one.

Crotis Jivefunk

Was The President Wore Pearls the last time Martin spoke?

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Definietly NOT the home run i expected, but pretty solid.
    Well, the big con first... The animation was just too cartoony at times. There was just something way too Tom and Jerry about that stranglation. Also, they made Nelson move like some Gollum like creature, it was just too much. I loved everything in the first act (no, i never get tired of "Marge is lame" style jokes), too bad it ended with the obvious filler material provided by Ralph.
    I thought everything was prefect about Lisa's subplot, i especially liked the mental breakdown with the cake.
    Nelson's dad returning? Sounds cool to me. But umm, maybe we're better off with Homer just saying "Ok, thats settled, bye now" because the explaination was terrible. The rushed climax left a sour tatse in my mouth, but it ended on a sweet / funny conversation on the couch.
    I was expecting the plot to be more about Bart v Nelson, rather than Nelson v himself. They sacrificed a lot of potential for laughs by turning this into a more emotional episode, and i'm still wondering if that was a good idea... the animation kept it from being boring, but i felt we really didn't learn anything new out of Nelson. Getting to know his mom was great though. Marge's scathing comment was great, including what preceeded and followed it.
    So for the second week in a row, the subplot outshined the main one. I think the story would have worked just as well if they took out one of Nelson's sobbing or pathetic moments and added in some good bully humor.
    3/5

The cosmic ballet goes on.. Radioactive Man's Avatar

Wow. This episode seemed rather forgetable to me. Don't really have that much else to say about it. It wasn't bad, it just didn't really seem like there was anything that stood out. I did sort of enjoy the Homer drawing though. I have no idea what your talking about with the NHC sign there.

Thread Information