View Poll Results: How would you rate "Half-Decent Proposal"?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5 D'oh!

2 0.99%
  • 2/5 Meh.

6 2.96%
  • 3/5 Half-Decent

31 15.27%
  • 4/5 Very Good.

65 32.02%
  • 5/5 Excellent.

99 48.77%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Rate "Half-Decent Proposal" (DABF04)?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

How Would You Rate "Half-Decent Proposal" (DABF04)?

It's finally airing! "Half-Decent Proposal" is airing tonight, and here's an episode description:

Jon Lovitz is a guest voice in a wild parody of the 1993 film “Indecent Proposal.” Lovitz plays Marge's one-time prom date Artie Ziff, a nerd who turned Marge off when he turned all-hands that night. Now, a techno- invention has made him rich. Encouraged by her sisters, and some girls-night imbibing, Marge e-mails Artie, who responds by helicoptering onto the Simpsons' lawn and inviting the family to his yacht. There, he makes his proposition: one million bucks to spend a weekend alone with Marge. And Artie promises “no funny stuff.” The Simpsons agree when they realize the money will help their marriage---by paying for an operation to cure Homer's snoring.

I've been waiting for this episode for a long time, looks great! Be sure to leave your reviews here once the episode airs. Until then, I'm just going to lock it.
    Signature.

I thought this epsiode was pretty good. Seemed like it had a different director or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    i turn to phil when in need
    fuck my parents

Thumbs Up

Wow. I'm just impressed by how all three acts tied into together. VERY good. 5/5

A really good ep, Loved the ending, So much better than Jaws Wired Shut. Although sex was brought up like 20 times in this ep (I dont find sex jokes funny) the jokes were great! Loved it! Although the ending was a bit disturbing and Homer and Lenny run away together?
    ... Other than that a B+/ a 4 out of 5!

Best Tennis Player EVER, Now starring in Best Exercise Video EVER!
    What is that she sees in the distance? Yes, her first victory! It's Coming!

Junior Camper

Good. I laughed a bunch.

Ending seemed awkward.

Yep.

A Long Synopsis, Short Review for "Half Decent Proposal" (DABF04) From TheAnswerMan

This episode starts off with many laughs that don't stop until the episode is over. After the camera passes over Comic Book Guy, we see that Homer has an obvious snoring problem. The writers must have knew that making Homer snore through his eyes were hilarious because
    they included it in many more scenes. Because of Homer's snoring, Marge can't seem to ever get enough sleep and mistakenly feeds Bart a flower pot and Lisa a Time Magazine with the headline, "AOL RULES!" When Marge decides to take Homer's snoring problem to a doctor, we see
    Dr. Hibbert & Riveria smashing down mailboxes. Unfortuantely the operation costs too much for Homer to afford so he makes a couter-offer of nothing and gets thrown out of Hibbert's office.

One of the best scenes is when Marge is so tired that she falls on the horn and says, "I'll get it." She opens the door and falls out of the moving car, leaving Bart steering and Milhouse and Lisa working the pedals. Of course, Milhouse makes his moves on Lisa, only to get rejected, once again. Marge goes over to her sister's house because she is unable to sleep next to Homer. The sisters have a girls-night out at their home and watch a spoof of "Sex in the City" entitled "Nookie in New York." After that, Kent Brockman is shown on TV speaking about the 5th richest man in the country, Artie Ziff.

Selma & Patty encourage Marge to write Artie Ziff congratulating him. Marge begins to dictate what she wants said in the e-mail, but Selma changes it to, "Dear hottie...I want to SEX YOU UP!...your love slave, Marge." The message goes through a beatup Cisco Systems internet router and lands in Artie's desktop computer. The camera zooms out and we see that Artie has been hopelessly obsessed over Marge for the last 20 years. [All this and it has only been the first scene]

Artie comes down on his helicopter and meets Marge. He says a funny line, "You can't spell "Party" without "Artie"....unless you mis-spelled "Party" or "Artie." He invites them on his yacht and Homer says, "You're the flame." Arite wonders what being Married to Marge would have been like. Homer responds that its like being married to his best friend who lets him feel his boobs. Artie offers Marge $1,000,000 for a weekend alone but she thinks it's sick and leaves with Homer, forgetting Bart and Lisa.

Marge thinks that she will be able to live with Homer's noises. After all, she had gotten used to saying Courtney Cox Arquette. But she doesn't hate all of Homer's sounds, like the Squeaking Spring Symphony. The BEST PART IMO is when they show Homer snoring while he is awake. They are in the middle of carrying on a conversation and Homer's eyes "ripple" as he tries to both cover his mouth and eyes to mask his snoring.

Marge decides that Homer needs to get the operation, so she agrees to Artie's request of a weekend alone and Homer sets up the guidelines such as no "Misdirected Woo." Artie says that he will leave Marge as untouched as Bill Gates' weightroom. As she leaves up into the sky in Artie's helicopter, the theme music from M*A*S*H plays.

At Ziff's mansion, Artie visits the "guest" mansion and picks up marge to go "Back in the future" to their High School Prom in the 70's. (Kirk and Louanne Van Houten can be seen dancing together)
    At the bar, Lenny thinks that Marge will have a better life without Homer and Carl thinks that Homer will now have more crawling space on the bed. Homer thinks he is risking losing Marge, and travels
    to Ziff's mansion to spy on the party. Homer meets Principal Dodenlinger, as a bouncer. He sees Marge kissing Artie and he is heart broken. Homer says, "If Marge marries Artie, I'll never be born." -Back to the Future ref.

When Marge returns home, she finds a tape on the bed. She plays the tape and sees Homer describing what he saw last night using two stuffed animals. He tells Marge that he is going to drop off the kids with Patty & Selma. Bart, who is the cameraman, says "Screw that!" Homer rushes at him and knocks himself on the camera. IMO this is the 2nd funniest sequence in the episode besides the snoring while Homer is awake.

Back at the bar, Moe says that if it makes you feel any better, "He's probably doing her right now." Homer decides that his life "here" is over, and leaves with Lenny into West Springfield. On the ride
    to the west, we see Mount Carlson, which was constructed by Lenny.

Meanwhile, Marge, Lisa, and Bart are worried about where Homer is and map out all of Springfield. Since West Springfield is 3 times the size of Texas, they feel hopeless. However, Marge enlists the help of Artie Ziff and his helicopter to find Homer, who had taken a job at a dangerous oil rig.

Homer and Lenny accidently set a fireant on fire because of the sun's magnification of their safety goggles. The fireant spreads the fire to other ants and they all jump in the oil surrounding the rig
    to cool down. Then all of a sudden the oil starts on fire and Homer is reluctant to climb the ladder up into the helicopter to safety. Artie says that he learned that he could not buy Marge's heart and
    Homer immediately jumps up onto the helicopter. However, Lenny says that there is nothing on that helicopter for him, until he sees Carl Carlson!

Back on their front lawn, Homer thanks Artie for saving his life. Homer still wants the million dollars but Marge won't let him take it. However, Artie does create a new invention for Homer that will cure his chronic sleeping. The very last sequence shows Homer with a snoring device that will convert his loudness into music lyrics under Artie's voice. As Homer goes to sleep, the music plays, "he's
    a loser Marge...dump him! I'm watching you through a camera!" - ABSOLUTLY HILARIOUS! A perfect way to end a terrific episode.

This episode had a solid plot, great amounts of laughs, and a superb ending.

BEST OF THE SEASON. A
    Last edited by Splashmore; 02-10-2002 at 05:41 PM.

freedom. silence. always.

Decent episode for a change. Mount Carlmore was the only dumb joke that stood out for me.

Jon Lovitz is the man.

Pin Pal

"I traveled the world and the seven seas. I am watching you through a camera." Heh. Great guest star role. Jon Lovitz has never done a disappointing guest voice gig for The Simpsons, and tonight was no different. Very good episode. 4/5

(Huge review coming in a few days.)

Pin Pal

There's a difference between a review and a summary, AnswerMan.

comes from circumstances mr. broom's Avatar

I liked the animation. The color-shifting scenes in Patty's and Selma's apartment were very different for "The Simpsons" but in a good way. I kind of wonder about Lenny and Carl, now; I don't think they're gay, but they sure have a bizarre friendship, you have to admit.
    It was pretty heartwarming, all in all, and had quite a few jokes that were silly in a less wacky way. The "Back to the Future" reference was perfectly set up and executed; probably the funniest joke of the episode. Good stuff. 4/5

The Best Episode of the Season. One of my new favorites. All 3 Acts fit together perfectly, and almost every joke hit the bull's eye (except a few of the sex ones). I wish Artie Ziff could become a regular, he is soooo funny. I give it an A+ 5/5

For a great change, this episode was very plot-driven, plus included lots of laughs. However, the oil rig stuff brought it down a bit. That stuff reminded me too much of Homer's behavior in "Kidney Trouble" and "Hello Gutter, hello Fadder". But I loved how it really got back to its roots in this episode, and the prom stuff was fantastic. Overall, possibly best of the season. Full review shortly.

PS: The directing did seem really different. The filming was kinda different and cool.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 02-10-2002 at 05:37 PM.

Yeah the Mt Carlmore was a little bit dumb... but when Carl showed up on the helicopter and said "Don't be so sure..." to Lenny I burst out with laughter. So that evens things out.

The Whole Damn Show blockyourfather's Avatar

After the bomb that was Jaws Wired Shut, I was looking forward to this one. It was everything I expected. Homer's snoring was a riot. Jon Lovitz did an excellent job as Artie Ziff. Perfect plotline- humor, romance, etc. I loved the ending: "I am watching you through a camera." Homer on camera was hillarious- "I can't say it, so i'll use these puppets to demonstrate it." Solid A+
    Let the fools have their tar-tar sauce.

block

Stonecutter

it was an ok ep. really liked jon lovitz's cameo in it

4/5

Originally posted by TheAnswerMan
    A Long Review of "Half Decent Proposal" (DABF04) From TheAnswerMan
    Long Synopsis, Short Review

I gave it a 5/5, it was wonderfully done, tied together had great jokes and had some emotion to it. Sex was brought up a lot but the episode was themed on it mainly
    Last edited by eric; 02-10-2002 at 08:27 PM.

Junior Camper

Wait, now why does everybody love the ending?

How was that line hilarious in any way?

Great ep, though, just sayin.

Last edited by eric; 02-10-2002 at 08:27 PM.

I thought it was very Good. I loved the plot and I love the way that the first act and the other acts went together instead of it being like two short episodes combined together. One of the best episodes of the season. Also I love the way they made the characters look at the prom especially Professor Frink and Willie.
    "Oh my great good god, gentlemen your attention please, I am detecting a gigantic amphibious life form, It's eighty meters long and is heading right this way, oh good glayvin it's on my shoe, it's a small frog, just get off, get off, get out, get out! Stupid machine, oh this isn't the monsterometer, it's the frog exaggerator."

Pretty good episode. Jon Lovitz is great as a cartoon character. The plot was good, in every act there were some funny moments. Lenny and Carl were funny as always. Bart said some pretty dumb quotes but I cracked up when he said:

With Patty and Selma? Screw that! .

My grade for this episode: A

The Notorious “JLJ”

I really liked this episode, as I thought I would. Most of the jokes were pretty good; I especially liked the "Nookie in New York" gag as well as Disco Stu's line and Homer at the end of the second act ("IF MARGE MARRIES ARTIE THEN I WON'T BE BORN!!!" or something like that, whatever it was it was funny). The storyline wasn't too bad either and seemed to flow nicely. Overall I'd say it's a solid A or a 4.5/5

Pin Pal

Funn-ay. Good jokes except some strange storylines involved like Lenny and Carl? Also Simpsons seem to be putting in a lot of 'sex' jokes in a lot lately. 4/5

Originally posted by Crazy Jre

Long Synopsis, Short Review

I gave it a 5/5, it was wonderfully done, tied together had great jokes and had some emotion to it. Sex was brought up a lot but the episode was themed on it mainly
    I'll have to change the title.

Funny points

• Homer snoring through his eyes
    • Marge feeding Bart and Lisa a flower pot and Time magazine respectively
    • Hibbert and Riveria mailbox smashing
    • The subheadline on the newspaper
    • Marge falling out of the car
    • Milhouse asking Lisa out
    • Selma cutting her bra
    • "Nookie in New York" paradoy of "Sex in the City"
    • Artie Ziff's Invention's lyrics
    • Pretty cool flashback
    • Selma changing Marge's words: "Dear hottie...I want to SEX YOU UP!....your love slave, Marge"
    • Cisco Systems Internet Router
    • I was just thinking about her..... for the last twenty years -- Artie's room
    • You can't spell "Party" without "Artie"....unless you misspelled "Party" or "Artie"
    • You're the old flame
    • It's like being married to my best friend, and he lets me feel his boobs
    • McAllister's appearance
    • Bart and Lisa left on the boat
    • The Sqeaking Spring Symphony
    • Homer snoring while awake - eyes ripple - BEST PART
    • "Misdirected Woo" - which is pretty much any John Woo film
    • Bill Gates' weightroom dis
    • Mash theme as helicopter lifts up into the sky
    • Krik dancing with Luanne?
    • Homer kicking Artie's statue
    • Principal Dodenlinger(sp) as the bouncer
    • If Marge marries Artie, I'll never be born. -Back to the Future ref.
    • I knew this would just be an excuse to get in my "mouth"
    • Frink is wearing the fish in the shoes last seen by Disco Stu in "In Marge We Trust"
    • Moe says, "He's probably doing her right now"
    • Baron Von Kissalot, with an inflated mouth
    • Homer telling Marge on the tape that he is going to take the kids to Patty & Selma and Bart rebels - VERY FUNNY
    • "Patty and Selma! Screw that!" Homer, "just run the camera you little..{crash} d'oh!"
    • The cactus and the clouds as Marge
    • Lenny's obsessiveness over Carl - Mount Carlmore
    • Abe, "Homer bowled a 300 game?"
    • Homer taking Lenny off of the ladder.
    • Lenny, "Theres nothing on that helicopter for me." Carl, "Don't be so sure." Lenny, "Carl Carlson!"
    • Homer, "Thanks for saving my life, now I believe theres the little matter of the million dollars"
    • The very last sequence with the new snoring invention, "he's a loser Marge...dump him! I am watching you through camera!"

Awesome Stuff !!! This was great. Jon Lovitz plays cartoon characters like no one else can. Just look at The Critic. This was the BEST episode of the new season.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Thanks in advance for the framegrabs!

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Thanks in advance for the framegrabs!
    No problem.

Nobody noticed the "M*A*S*H" and "Back to the Future" references?

Its in my synopsis/review on the first page.

The Whole Damn Show blockyourfather's Avatar

I wanna know who gave this episode 2/5. It was an awesome episode!

Thread Information