View Poll Results: R&R Who Shot Mr Burns Part one

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Shoot me I love it

150 90.36%
  • 4/5 You can still shoot me but does it have to be a baby?

12 7.23%
  • 3/5 Tempting but no

3 1.81%
  • 2/5 How about no

1 0.60%
  • 1/5 Can i shoot you>?

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R Who Shot Mr Burns part one

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

continuously shaking head c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep, this is in my top 10. Funny, dramatic, memorable, and well-written. Not much else to say really A+

lust 4 quagland HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My 42nd favorite episode. If that means anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe
    The only thing you've managed to do is piss us off. You are a fucking prick, and it's people like you that are bringing this damn country down.

Blog Entries

Definitely Top 20 worthy. I think it made my Top 10 as well. Just a brilliant beginning to a murder mystery, and probably my favourite Burns characterization EVER. 5/5 for sure.

a barren wasteland of soul crushing loneliness a.k.a. hamm

The apex of the show. The amount of effort and devotion that went into this is obvious when you listen to the commenteries, and when you watch both parts together. I prefer Part 2 by a hair because of the hilarious interrogation scenes.

Best Quotes:
    Guillermo: Yeah at the picnic, he thought my son Renaldo was my son Rolondo. Can you believe that?

Superintendant Chalmers: An unrelated article .. in the banner headline?

Lunchlady Doris: The cafeteria staff are complaining about the mice in the kitchen. I want to hire a new staff.

Mr. Burns: I see, maybe I'll just have to ATTACK YOU! Smithers .. help me subdue this .. beast.
    Smithers: Sorry Sir, this is all I could find. Take that, and that!
    Skinner: Please don't waste those.

Marge: I have an idea.
    Homer: What's your idea!?
    Marge: When my father was first trying to catch my mothers eye, he sent her a box of candy with his photo in it. After that she never forgot him.
    Homer: That's all well and good, but it's not really YOUR idea, is it Marge

Mr. Burns: Aah, soon that mighty apparatus will burst forth with its precious fluid. Almost sexual, isn't it Smithers?

Groundskeeper Willie: I'll kill that Mr. Burns! And wound that Mr. Smithers!

Lisa: Dad, how can you work for a man like Mr. Burns?
    Homer: Well, he's not all bad. He did send me this nice Thank you card.
    Lisa: Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. Dad, this doesn't have your name on it.
    Homer: Kids, will you step outside for a second. Ffffff
    Ned: Dear Lord, that's the loudest profanity I've ever heard.

Moe: Hey, if you guys are gettin' loaded off them fumes, I'm going to have to charge ya.

Mr. Burns: I've decided to protect myself, ever since I was attacked in my office by an unidentified assailant.
    Homer: DOH!

Otto: Wow, that's odd. Principal Skinner left his mother behind.

Dr. Hibbert: Well, I can't possibly solve this mystery. Can you?
    Wiggum: Yeah, I'll give it a shot. It's my job, right?

Highlights include Pete Porter in Pasadena, Mr Burns playing pinball, Tito Puente's guest appearance, Homer's candy gift to Mr. Burns, Barney's inflated sense of self-esteem, Homer's graffitti message sequence, the entire town meeting, Krusty's return from Reno, Simon and Garfunkel reference, Wiggum thinking Burns' face was a mask, and the JFK style outro music
    Last edited by futz; 05-08-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: I've decided to edit this post since I was attacked by an unidentified assailant

Fucking awesome.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This is such a terrific episode, I love the darker tone the plot takes compared to other episodes. Imagine if David Mirkin became the showrunner again and this ended being the finale for this season, everyone would be shocked at how Mr. Burns had supposedly died and how the show returned to form... damn it, we need David Mirkin back as showrunner!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer I Am View Post
    Imagine if David Mirkin became the showrunner again and this ended being the finale for this season

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    My 42nd favorite episode. If that means anything.

The answer to everything is "42."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    Your statement is irrelevant... oh wait!

i just don't understand what you're saying. wasn't it the finale of the season?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow, just wow...

Blog Entries

he's saying it should be the finale for this season, which i think means the current one? though i'm not sure what that has to do with the quality of the episode or anything.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm saying that if it was the finale for this season, people would be shocked.

My favorite episode ever. 500000/5 but I'll just vote 5/5 on the poll.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Teddy

Blog Entries

In my honest opinion, I don't like this episode and I think part 2 is WAY better. This episode just seems too mean-spirited (Santa's little helper getting hurt, Abe's retirement home getting destroy and so much more) It was kinda out of character for Homer to snap just because Burns didn't remember his name, Burns forgot it multiple times in the past and he didn't get angry so why the hell did he get angry now. Also I hated how Smithers was portray in this episode. IMO basically the episode is saying that if Smithers goes against Mr. Burns, he turns into a whiny drunken loser that spends most of his days watching TV. I know a lot of people like this episode but I'm sorry I just don't like I said, I think part 2 is way better. If I were to give this episode a rating, the highest I can give it is a 3/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfan55501 View Post
    In my honest opinion, I don't like this episode and I think part 2 is WAY better. This episode just seems too mean-spirited (Santa's little helper getting hurt, Abe's retirement home getting destroy and so much more) It was kinda out of character for Homer to snap just because Burns didn't remember his name, Burns forgot it multiple times in the past and he didn't get angry so why the hell did he get angry now. Also I hated how Smithers was portray in this episode. IMO basically the episode is saying that if Smithers goes against Mr. Burns, he turns into a whiny drunken loser that spends most of his days watching TV. I know a lot of people like this episode but I'm sorry I just don't like I said, I think part 2 is way better. If I were to give this episode a rating, the highest I can give it is a 3/5.
    In the specific part of Homer it is easily explainable because Homer never had felt that contrast before; because Burns remembers the names of every employer except his, so he feels out of place. On the accusations of being mean-spirited, I don't know what you mean exactly, but if it is that the events are purposely exaggerated in order to increase the tension of the town towards Burns, I think the episode is completely aware of this as in the second part Smithers describes Burns as a comic-style villain. This episode is built more towards epicness and strong feelings than strict, everyday realism. The main idea is that Burns covers the Sun, after all...

On the other hand, I can't see how are you accusing Smithers of being badly-portrayed. Even if he gets angry at Burns and at one point decides that he doesn't want to be a part of his plan anymore, he still loves and idealizes him as his figure represents everything in his life. For that reason he is not able to cheer up after he gets fired. This is perfectly according to what we know about the character.
    Season 21 ratings (A.K.A. Qwert's Generic Sig Vol. II)

Homer The Whopper 7/10 Bart Gets A 'Z' 8.5/10 The Great Wife Hope 9/10 Treehouse Of Horror XX 9.17/10
    The Devil Wears Nada 9.5/10 Pranks And Greens 6.5/10 Rednecks And Broomsticks 7.5/10 Oh Brother, Where Bart Thou? 8.5/10
    Thursdays With Abie 5.5/10 Once Upon A Time In Springfield 10/10 Million Dollar Maybe 4.5/10 Boy Meets Curl 6/10
    The Color Yellow 9/10 Postcards From The Wedge 9.5/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuio View Post
    In the specific part of Homer it is easily explainable because Homer never had felt that contrast before; because Burns remembers the names of every employer except his, so he feels out of place. On the accusations of being mean-spirited, I don't know what you mean exactly, but if it is that the events are purposely exaggerated in order to increase the tension of the town towards Burns, I think the episode is completely aware of this as in the second part Smithers describes Burns as a comic-style villain. This episode is built more towards epicness and strong feelings than strict, everyday realism. The main idea is that Burns covers the Sun, after all...

On the other hand, I can't see how are you accusing Smithers of being badly-portrayed. Even if he gets angry at Burns and at one point decides that he doesn't want to be a part of his plan anymore, he still loves and idealizes him as his figure represents everything in his life. For that reason he is not able to cheer up after he gets fired. This is perfectly according to what we know about the character.
    I just think Homer getting all of a sudden angry at Mr. Burns for forgetting his name kinda out of character since he could of been just as angry at Mr. Burns multiple times in the past, but decide in this episode to just snap. When I say part 1 was mean-spirited, I meant the events that happen to the citizens in Springfield. I just thought some of those events (especially what happen to Abe's retirement home) were too much. I guess Smithers wasn't as baldly as portray as I thought cause what you said made a lot of since. Maybe I need to watch part 1 again cause what I was saying was based on what I seen/remember from the episode. Last time I watch this episode was about a year ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfan55501 View Post
    I just think Homer getting all of a sudden angry at Mr. Burns for forgetting his name kinda out of character since he could of been just as angry at Mr. Burns multiple times in the past, but decide in this episode to just snap. When I say part 1 was mean-spirited, I meant the events that happen to the citizens in Springfield. I just thought some of those events (especially what happen to Abe's retirement home) were too much.
    But what makes Homer upset is that Burns doesn't remember his name while he is completely able to remember the names of the rest. On the other hand I wouldn't look for strict continuity so much, specially given the narrative characteristics of this episode.

On the other hand, precisely what happens to Abe's retirement home is very secondary in the story, the main points of conflict are Homer, Smithers and the school; but Burns' evil plan affects the whole town and I think these scenes (just like this one, or the dog getting hurt (as was Bart), or Moe's tavern being closed) are there to increase the tension between him and the Springfieldians. I don't know how would they qualify as mean-spirited but they have a clear purpose of emotional emphasis in the story.

Blog Entries

Rewatch this episode and wow............. This does not deserve a 3/5. It was great. Every character felt like themselves, the humor was top-notch, Burns was his diabolic self, and what he did to citizens (though a bit over the top) made me feel sorry for Springfield. The suspense was perfect too.

Rating: 5/5 (low 6/5 )
    Last edited by Teddy; 06-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: futz

Blog Entries

One of the best episodes of all time,
    easily in the top 30 episodes of all time.

10/10 or 5/5

Terrific, excellent episode, defiantly deserves a 5/5.

Just watched this episode, I still find the ending really intense. 5/5

5/5 - Brilliant. Highly memorable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If there was ever only one episode of "the Simpsons" to watch at the peak of it's history, then this is it.

There's something about the cartoonish villainy of blocking out the sun that I just can't resist.

Member of The Flying Hellfish patdan10's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Politely View Post
    There's something about the cartoonish villainy of blocking out the sun that I just can't resist.
    Is that a reference or is this real...
    Classic Season (3-8) Rankings
    5<6<4<7<3<8

This episode has everything you could possibly want in a Simpsons episode (well, except for heartfelt emotion, I guess. But it does have great emotion anyway. You feel for the characters, and begin to consider their bloodthirst justified). The individual "plots" are used perfectly to set-up pretty much everyone in town as a suspect, and are very entertaining on their own. Mr. Burns is in perfect character. The atmosphere and suspense is perfectly done (especially the ending, which happens to be my favourite scene of the series). Just completely flawless. BEST. EPISODE. EVER. 10/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-17-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Stonecutter Joey Joe-Joe Jnr Shabadoo's Avatar

Iconic. Truly iconic. Watching the episode for the first time and the mystery surrounding who shot Mr Burns - despite seeing it a few years after it originally aired - was genuinely exhilarating. The epitome of Classic Era Simpsons. 5/5, 10/10. A+

Young Master Doflamingo The Heavenly Demon's Avatar

Great ending to season 6.
    My quest to rewatch, grade and review all episodes of The Simpsons:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Reviews-Reborn

Thread Information