View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

82 56.94%
  • 4/5

40 27.78%
  • 3/5

17 11.81%
  • 2/5

5 3.47%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Colonel Homer

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned

R&R: Colonel Homer

8/10 i took marks off because the final scene gave me nightmares for weeks

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

1. Lurleen was a country singer. In the same general family as folk, but not the same thing.

2. What gave you nightmares? The cowboy hat flying towards you? Did you think it was razor-sharp, like the one worn by Oddjob from the Bond films?

Anyway, all kidding aside, Colonel Homer (the name of the episode) is solidly in the teens on my all-time list. A well-developed story, a good "other woman" character in Lurleen, a fun Hee-Haw parody, and you gotta love that suit. A+

Hired Goon

They hardly get any better than "Colonel Homer" when it comes to Homer and Marge's relationship on the rocks. Emotional, caring, funny when it had to be, this episode was perfect. One of the best Homer-centered episodes in my opinion, characterization-wise; oftentimes Homer was portrayed as a goofball, even in the early episodes. But in this episode, we could sympathize with him in an emotional way. Homer wanted nothing more than to help Lurleen's career take off, having no idea how much it would hurt his relationship, and ultimately he did the right thing and went back to Marge before she was hurt even more. Marge was portrayed well too. She wanted nothing more than to love her husband, and her jealousy was natural and pulled off well.

Even though the episode did have its fair share of humor (the "Ya Hoo" introduction which featured hilarious ad-libbing by Hank Azaria, the "it takes two to lie" line by Homer), the plot was the star of this episode, not to mention the great songs written for this episode and Beverly D'Angelo's great guest performance. One of the most emotional episodes of all-time. I say this often but it fits here, they don't make them like this anymore. A+.

Totally agree with Larson, A+ classic...

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

Stonecutter

Not bad. A-

Not half as good as the one where Lisa plays hockey. B

it's all good...

A

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

One of the best Homer/Marge conflicts. Lurleen was good character, characterization was great all around. A+, no doubt about it.

Definitely among my top five. Patman pretty much listed everything I love about this one. Heck, it was written by Matt Groening - who knows the show better than he?

10/10

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Crotis Jivefunk

^^
    What he said. The best homewrecker episode I might add.

Doesn't really do it for me. The characterization is great and all that but I don't care much for that stuff. Don't throw stuff at me but I just don't find it funny enough or entertaining.

Oh, and did anyone else after reading the thread title thought those damn "episodes that never happened" R+R threads were back?

Colonel Homer was one hell of an episode. Top 15 or 20 at least. A+

Stonecutter

An absolutely brilliant episode, it handles the Homer and Marge marriage problems plot brilliantly. Absolutely incredible appearence from Beverley D'Angelo, and all the songs in the episode I enjoyed thouroughly, especially "Bagged Me a Homer". A definate top 20 episode, slightly lacking something for a "perfect grade" though - A

stop happening

Meh, it was ok. I've seen better, anyways I would give it a 3/5
    Season rankings (best to worst)

samsa

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zaius
    Oh, and did anyone else after reading the thread title thought those damn "episodes that never happened" R+R threads were back?
    I thought it was the Barbershop Quarter, anyway...

Its a great episode, but I cant review anything... so 10/10

Stonecutter

D- Can't stand it.... and I'm being serious.

To put that review in context, I don't believe Kefka has ever given any episode anything higher than a D.

"Colonel Homer" brilliantly mixes humor, emotion, and an intriguing plot into what I consider a top ten episode. A+

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I can't add anything to what's already been said, so I leave you with: A+

This is one of those episodes that reminds me why I love this show so much. I mean, it's a brilliant, top 20 (at least) episode. That's due to a number of reasons, really. "Colonel Homer" mixes humor, emotion, a great plot, and some teriffic songs into one unforgettable episode. On the surface, it's yet another Marge and Homer relationship story, but beneath that, there is an emotional and realistic plot. This is definitely as character-driven as they get. Characterization on Marge and Homer is dead-on, and both are in great form (especially Homer). Beverly D'Angelo did a great job as Lurleen, and her attraction to Homer was well pulled-off, especially when you consider how ridiculous it could have turned out. Likewise, Marge's jealousy was completely justifiable, and was completely believable.

The great songs only add to the episode. For example, "Bagged Me A Homer" fit in perfectly, and added to the growing tension between Homer and Marge and Marge and Lurleen. The final song was sweet, and the final scene was just as great. I wouldn't call it creepy, but it was definitely risque. But, the writers pulled it off, and the emotional story was definitely benefited by it.

Like I've said before, when you have great characterization, emotion, and humor-- mixed with a believable story--you've got a winner. "Colonel Homer" is the perfect example of this. A+

wreck on the highway

It's win-win, baby! A+

Stonecutter

I like it. Classy episode, tells a great story, some nice laughs. A/A+

Blockoland Owner

Top season 3 episode. 8/10

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

Have fond memories of this episode from when it originally aired. Groening wrote it, so it's not surprising that it fits everything we loved about the original Simpsons before it went all wacky in Season 5.

This is my favorite episode from season 3, i've seen it 20 times and it still hasn't gotten old.

Memorable but just misses being good enough to be called a classic B+

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think there´s not enough explanation of why Lurleen likes Homer since the first time they met. Anyway it´s a great show. I love the cinema introduction (compare this to the puzzle opening in Three gays of the condo, for example) and the scene in the studio with the Bagging me a Homer song. It is specially fun stuff with all the family characters: Lisa playing saxo, Bart making faces, Maggie sitting on the tape, Marge jealous... I think Matt should write more Simpson episodes. Although the rest of the show was not as good as the two scenes I have talked abot (there is another great one, when Homer listens to Lurleen´s song for the first time) , I said, the rest of the show is a little slower and not- so- great but this specific, funny and brillant scenes make it a 5/5

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork
    I think there´s not enough explanation of why Lurleen likes Homer since the first time they met.
    Homer's being friendly to her and takes a real interest in her work. There's no reason she wouldn't like him. It evolves into something more than 'like' later on because Homer's so sweet and kind to her without wanting anything in return. He's the first really decent guy she's met, so of course she'd be attracted to him. It makes perfect sense.

Just great. 'nuff said. 5/5

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charmy
    Homer's being friendly to her and takes a real interest in her work. There's no reason she wouldn't like him. It evolves into something more than 'like' later on because Homer's so sweet and kind to her without wanting anything in return. He's the first really decent guy she's met, so of course she'd be attracted to him. It makes perfect sense.
    Yes, I agree. I always think of that when I´m watching, but perhaps is the way they show us the character of Lurleen, they don´t show much of her personality. What seems a little strange for me is that even when Homer is talking to her for the very first time she answer with "sexy" voice. Anyway I think it´s good if the show is a little more subtle once in a while. And I´m still saying that it´s a 5/5

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

This is pure classic stuff. THIS is what represents the Simpsons so well. A fresh, innovative and emotional plot that deals with Homer's married life well. The beginning involving the family going to the movies was hilarious. Then, Homer driving off, meeting Lurleen and Marge becoming angry, and Homer and Marge making up was again handled really well. Lovely, feelgood episode. A+

Thread Information