View Poll Results: How would you rate "New Kid On The Block"?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5 - Awful

0 0%
  • 2/5 - Mediocre

4 3.15%
  • 3/5 - Good

8 6.30%
  • 4/5 - Excellent

37 29.13%
  • 5/5 - Fantastic

78 61.42%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "New Kid On The Block"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

wreck on the highway

Rate and Review "New Kid On The Block"

Episode 8!

A very good episode. Funny, and an excellent story. Laura Powers and her mother Ruth were excellent characters.

Past threads:
    Kamp Krusty
    A Steetcar Named Marge
    Homer The Heretic
    Lisa The Beauty Queen
    Treehouse Of Horror III
    Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie
    Marge Gets A Job

Great episode. It did a good job of having both a sweet story and a funny subplot. Again, the characterization was great, with Bart being portrayed as such an innocent little kid. Laura was a funny character, and a great female counterpart for Bart. Homer's subplot was hilarious, with the introduction of Captain McAllister simply being icing on the cake. The resolution to both the main and sub plots were great, especially the nice little ending with Bart and Laura ("If you were only old enough to grow a bad teenage mustache, I'd go out with you in a second."), followed by the prank call to Moe's. Well done.

5/5

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Another gem from Season Four. Here, we see Bart's first crush, his neighbor Laura Powers, voiced by Sara Gilbert from Roseanne, I believe. A good plot, with some good lines, and great sight gags; "Two Men From Kabul" always makes me smile. And to cap it all, two prank calls to Moe's Tavern, including Amanda Huggenkiss. It would've been nice to see Laura Powers again after this episode, but alas, that has not happened as yet.

Stonecutter

Yet another of those classic Simpsons episodes! A*

Blog Entries

Excellent episode. Shows Bart's first crush perfectly (or any boy's for that matter), and has some truly hilarious moments. Sara Gilbert does a great job as Laura. This episode also contains the most classic Jimbo lines ever ("my shirt's chafing me", "now my pants are chafing me"). Solid A.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

I'd like to give this a higher score since i'm Conan biased, but I'm not a fan of crush episodes. It's just wierd to see a child fall in love. Yet, without that bieng said i found it to be the most beliveable crush in the show up to toady. I love the climax with Moe, and Homer's subplot is great. 4/5

Best line - "Homer, I don't use the word 'hero' very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history"

4/5
    Good shit.

Crotis Jivefunk

5/5

They don't make them like this anymore.

Junior Camper

4/5.

Sara Gilbert was actually a pretty decent guest star in this one. And Conan was one of the show's better writers. It's no coincidence that the show was in its prime when he was working there.

The whole thing was just the right mix of believeable v.s. over-the-top. And of course, it had something that a lot of modern episodes lack: a great 3rd act. You had to love it when Moe flipped out after Bart's prank phone call.

big smart, smart person

stupid wishing well!!!!!

4/5
    I love the little tacos...

I love them good.

Hired Goon

A. Great episode, it did a great job of exploring Bart's crush for Laura and was funny as well. Laura was a great character, and they were able to do a good job in developing her character in just one episode. Great characterization, great plot, great humor.

a 24 hour party person

A. Great episode, all the acts were linked together really well. unfourtunately i haven't seen this episode in ages
    "The Chinese junkies will get you in the end" - jim morrison

Another classic that I will not soon forget (or ever, I hope). Another great from Conan! 5/5

Homer:My hammock. Do you understand? Mine! Don't look that way.

Blockoland Owner

Another good solid season 4 episode. 4/5

stop happening

A good episode, some great jokes. Season 4 continues to be a pretty much 5/5 season.
    Season rankings (best to worst)

Changing his name to HoJu homicidalcow's Avatar

A+ Conan's scripts always shine. I think he makes great jokes, funny stories and creates great opportunities for others' jokes.
    Ya get that George W.? Huh?

"If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

I thought this episode was pretty good. I liked how we see Bart's first crush. I find the subplot with Homer and the Sea Captain is also a winner. I really do like the idea of people with insatiable appetites sueing for all he can eat. The brief exchange between Homer and Ruth Powers was a great conversation. I thought it was unfortunate that we don't see more of Laura Powers considering how she's supposed to be a neighbor. I think it would have been great for the show to explore the Powers even more than just having Ruth appear here and there. Too bad they're guest stars.
    Wicked.

Solid, if not spectacular. A

Stonecutter

I like it. The story of Bart's first crush is entertaining. Bringing in Moe to dispatch of Jimbo was a brilliant move, both on Bart's part and story-wise. Of course, the subplot is classic, especially the trial. Listening to the Sea Captain recount the tale of Homer's arrival at the resturant is great, and Marge's testimony is hilarious. Full of laughs all round. A-

I love this episode. Gets better ever time that I see it. I didn't remember it too well, but saw it in syndication a few weeks ago and was surprised at how good it is. When I got the dvd I saw it again. I just watched it today and its even better.

The plot was funny and heart-felt, but this episode comes alive with the subplot which is perphaps the best the show's ever had. The firest scene with Homer and Hutz had my two favorite Hutz lines ever. A

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kind of good but I´m not really sure that Laura is an apropiate fiancee for Bart...Jessica Lovejoy seems more like the kind of girl for Bart. Also it´s a problem that Laura doesn´t become a regular character. Anyway a very good 4/5 and they found a very fun way to end with the phonecalls to Moe´s tavern jokes.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork
    Kind of good but I´m not really sure that Laura is an apropiate fiancee for Bart...Jessica Lovejoy seems more like the kind of girl for Bart. Also it´s a problem that Laura doesn´t become a regular character. Anyway a very good 4/5 and they found a very fun way to end with the phonecalls to Moe´s tavern jokes.
    Laura couldn't become a regular because she was voiced by a guest star. Simple enough.

As for her being an appropriate love interest for Bart- come on, she's a cool older girl who takes some interest in the kid. It makes sense that he'd be smitten.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charmy
    Laura couldn't become a regular because she was voiced by a guest star. Simple enough.
    Yeah, I know. But when they introduce a character like this one (she is supossed to live next door) I think it is not a good idea to have a guest star as her voice. The same thing about Jessica Lovejoy ...I mean she´s Lovejoy´s daugther and we hardly see her. It is different when the character is a complete stranger (for example Lyle Lanley, Profesor Bergstrom, Hank Scorpio...)

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork
    The same thing about Jessica Lovejoy ...I mean she´s Lovejoy´s daugther and we hardly see her.
    Well in her case, she was presumably sent back to the boarding school (or, if it wouldn't take her, another one). However, even with Laura being the next-door neighbor, I don't see her lack of a recurring role as a problem. There's lot's of characters from around town that were used only rarely or eventually dropped simply because the show didn't really have a use for them anymore. In this case Laura's "use" was only for a one-episode love interest, so they dropped her. Had she been voiced by someone on the existing cast it's likely she would have disappeared just the same.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Very good episode. Airing shortly after Bart's Friend Falls In Love ("they all look the same to me"), it does a very good job developing Bart's first crush. But what makes this episode really stand out is the absolutely hilarious Homer subplot. Going to a buffet was never the same afterwards; me and my brother always made some reference to this episode when eating at all-you-can-eat specials.

6/6

"Hey baby, my shirt's chafing me. Mind if I...take it off?"

5/5. Ha Jimbo was great. That line has to be in my top ten favorite Simpsons quotes. I think Laura Powers was awesome, and I wish she would come back.

I also have the same jacket she wears in the ep. =)
    Jimbo: Hey baby, my shirt's chafing me. Mind if I take it off?

a really good episode
    and i like Laura and her mother as characters.
    The gag with Moe was also great, another reason why i like him

4/5

4/5 - Superb subplot, mediocre main plot. Either way, it's still season 4 simpsons.

Laura Powers was pretty cool. Overall, episode was pretty good. Funny gag with Moe. 4/5

Another Season Four favourite for me. It's such a universal and relatable plot, the crush on the older (or otherwise seemingly unattainable) girl/boy that doesn't work out but gives one a taste of those feelings for the first time, not to mention the jealousy of seeing them with someone else. Speaking of which, Jimbo "smooth" moves and Moe's attempt at vengeance rank up there as two of the episodes' highlights. The subplot is great as well and probably Lionel Hutz's finest hour in law. 5/5.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

Thread Information