38 38.38%
  • 5/5

51 51.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "Lisa The Beauty Queen"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

wreck on the highway

Rate and Review "Lisa The Beauty Queen"

Day 4, Episode 4! (Early, as yesterday's was done late.)

Weakest of S4 so far, and still an A! Very good moral theme, and keeps the humour too.

Previous threads:
    Kamp Krusty
    A Streetcar Named Marge
    Homer The Heretic

*sigh*. Yeah, I forgot the poll. Again. Shoot me.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

(Promptly grabs his gun)

I agree with it being the weakest of the four Season four episodes so far, but despite this claim, it is still an enjoyable caper that carries along many laughs and even has time for a little emotion. Lisa's inferiority complex is great to watch and is incredibly realistically acted.

Stonecutter

Fun but a little lackluster compared to the last two. Not quite as great of a story, satire, or humour as the last two, but still great. A-.

Changing his name to HoJu homicidalcow's Avatar

While reviewing this episode, my mind is forced to compare it to the others on disc one of the fourth season. This makes it hard not to underrate it. The story meanders a little bit, and I don't feel the ire of lisa's passion that I think was intended. Also, college football makes enough money to support itself at many Universities. It is still a potent combination of commentary and comedy though; even with the less than bold attack on tobacco. A-
    Last edited by homicidalcow; 06-18-2004 at 11:51 AM.
    Ya get that George W.? Huh?

"If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

This actually is my #5 of all time, and it isn't even the best episode on that disc (that's Streetcar). I always have a soft spot for Lisa eps, and this one is my favorite. It's a well-told story that fits in emotion, humor, and social commentary effortlessly. And the syndication-omitted "Jimbo's Spookhouse" scene is one of the things I'm going to first when I put the DVD in (just got it today). A+

Blog Entries

Good episode. The conflict played on Lisa's emotions is done very well. Never that this episode was incredibly humorous, but it has it's moments. B+. By the way, thanks for pointing out that syndication-cut, Larson. I knew i had never seen that scene before.

Hired Goon

Still a good episode, as every episode in season 4 was, but this episode's story wasn't as interesting as other episodes. It was well-told and funny though, I give it an A-.

Blockoland Owner

Great episode A-

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

i was hoping to find this one here because i was quite surprised with it yesterday. I haven't seen it in *YEARS* and never remember liking it. I've always found beauty pageants stupid, boring, and not worth even satirizing. This episode is quite hilarious though. All the twists and turns of the episode kept the story really going and like someone else said, Lisa's emotions throughout the episode are so lifelike.
    And i realized that this episode marked the start of my all time favorite Simpsons rivalry: Chief Wiggum vs Mayor Quimby
    4/5 - Fav moment: The nerds chasing away football payers, and their later addressed "pummeling"

Is It About My Cube?

Not as good as the previous two episodes, but its still good. A-
    Seasons Rankings:

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

It's always nice to see a good Lisa episode, and Homer being a good father (that scene w/him telling Marge that he thinks Lisa is beautiful is so great) and here we have both. The thing this episode suffers most from is clearly the fact that it's overshadowed by "Streetcar" and "Heretic". Had it popped up in nearly any other season, or even the end of this one, it'd be an easy A, even an A+. But I just can't say it's nearly as good as it's two predescessors, which makes it somewhat forgettable in the long run, and causes it to fall just short of classic. My highest A-.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezzo
    Day 4, Episode 4! (Early, as yesterday's was done late.)

*sigh*. Yeah, I forgot the poll. Again. Shoot me.
    Lmao, Oh Wez!! What are ya like..

Anyway, as most have said, A-. This is one of the episodes I have seen the least amount of times, not including S14 and 15. I'm not sure why exactly, but I've probably only seen it about 4/5 times.

I agree that this episode isn't as brilliant as the previous two, but it's still great in its own right. It's true that the plot is a bit directionless by act three, but the underlying story between Lisa and Homer is still there, and the ending is hilarious (yes, I shamefully admit that I laughed at the goat drinking out of a bottle...twice!). I'm a bit biased, considering that I have a soft spot for Lisa episodes, but still great. A

Pin Pal

Great episode if not for laughter, for emotion. 5/5 A

Stonecutter

Quite good, but not one of my favourites from S4. A-

Poll added. PM me if you'd like to add humorous text next to the voting options or anything, Wezzo.

I think Im in the minority in believing this is one of the weakest episodes of Season 4. The premise is silly .. Lisa has low self esteem .. so Homer enters her into a scrutinizing beauty pageant as a result. The pacing was very frantic and made the episode feel very rushed. Add that to the introduction of an "anti-smoking" turn near the end (yes, it was introduced earlier in the episode but faded quickly from the heart of the plot) and you have a very weak story. The saving grace of this episode is the impressive number of hilarious moments. It had some great moments delivered from the supporting cast (namely Krusty and Kent Brockman), an entertaining guest star, and some classic cutaway gags. For that it gets a B.

This Is Dizzy Stuff, Folks duffless89's Avatar

It somewhat startles me that most of Season 4 has the quality of a 24 carat gold necklace. A

a 24 hour party person

not the greatest episode but as everyone's mentioned a solid season four ep B+
    "The Chinese junkies will get you in the end" - jim morrison

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

I really enjoy this one actually, not the greatest of a strong season but still very good episode. A

Nothing gay here, but it's pretty forgetable I think.

I love every second of this one. 'nuff said. 5/5

Wow, season 4 is great. Great TO THE MAX.

stop happening

Probably the worst episode in season 4 imo. Even though I say it is the worst of season 4, I still give it a 3.5/5. That proves how good season four is.
    Season rankings (best to worst)

This is an underrated gem in my opinion. A+

Yet another reason why S4 is almost the perfect season. I actually felt bad for Homer after he gave up the Duff blimp ride. The attack on cigarette companies is genius. This episode could have satirized children's pageants some more, but that was no real loss. It has been a while since I saw this episode in syndication and I never realized how good this episode was until the season DVD.
    Wicked.

the original Sex Pistol

A, like almost every ep from s4.

one of the first Simpsons episodes i've ever seen and the first with a Lisa based Story.
    Think it's a really nice story and Homer is portrayed in good way too.
    Some of the gags are good and memorable. For example the advertising for Laramie Cigarettes.
    One of my favorite Lisa episodes for sure.

B+

Season 4 was a great season. This episode was definitely a solid one.

A

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

This was a great episode. And it was among the worst of season 4, but since season 4 has the highest concentration of phenomenal and "great" episodes of any season, that's not a critisism at all. I thought the middle, after the pageant, was slightly weak, but the beginning and end were great. Some really good Homer/Lisa moments, though I would've liked to have seen their relationship in a stronger light, and more integral to the plot. However, there was the hilarious slapstick gags typical of season 4, like Krusty getting hit by lightning, the footage mix-up, etc. and all in all was a very enjoyable episode. 4.5/5
    "Attention Duelists!"

Irish Simpsons Obsessive

Another great episode in a great season. Gets a 4/5 for me, the humour could have been better xD

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5, a great funny episode, but the ending is a bit dumb

Thread Information