View Poll Results: Is the Simpsons appropriate for children ages 7 and under?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh yeah!

28 82.35%
  • No Way Jose!

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Simpsons OK for young children?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Question Is the Simpsons OK for young children?

My mom didn't really let me watch the simpsons until I was 12 years old. This of course didn't stop me from watching it, but it brings up a good point. Is the Simpsons innapropriate for young children?
    By young children I mean ages 0-7. I think that it is OK for them to watch. It does have the occasional swear word, and the occasional sexual innuendo (I love that word, innuendo), but I think most of that flies right over the young'ns heads. A lot of it is rather subtle in my opinion (subtle enough for 7 year olds).
    For instance, in the episode where they go to duffgardens, Patty (or Selma) goes to buy some sperm from a sperm bank. Never once is the word "sperm" uttered, except that it is shown on a sign quickly before they show the inside of the building. The cup that Barney uses doesn't even have any sperm or liquid of any sort in it. As opposed to south park where Cartman buys 5 gallons of sperm and takes some out of the vials and feels it to test if it is "quality sperm", but thats beyond the point.

So, whats everyone elses opinion?

Junior Camper

I think it's okay. Most of the jokes are over their heads anyway.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Well, it's debatable. Personally, I wouldn't let my children watch it until they were at least old enough to understand some of the dialog. I think a lot of people that are unacquainted with the show mistakenly assume that being an animated show, The Simpsons is for children, which isn't really the case. While much of the innuendo in older episodes would definitely fly several metres above the head of many children, a number of episodes (primarily the later ones) have less subtle language..."penis," "orgasm," and so on, not to mention the odd swear word, "bastard," "wanker," and "crap," in in several episodes, old or new. Funny as I may find them, and as much as I hate censorship, I don't think they're entirely suitable for kids.
    Of course, I could just forget all of that and let my children just watch the show and enjoy the animation onscreen.

Stonecutter

Good question. I'd probably say that they're a little unsuitable these days for kids, but I'd let my kids watch episodes that I thought had no/very little language in it, and no sexual references etc.

earlier seasons, absolutely. but newer episodes, like Jaws Wired Shut for example, I would be more cautious.

Crotis Jivefunk

I watched it as a young kid, and I turned out okay. I did repeat some of the jokes though, like "I'm jynxed dammit" from Flaming Moe's. Jaws Wired Shut especially.

Well, I first watched when I was 6, and I actually got most of the jokes. I missed the occassional dirty one, but it never caused any probvlems, so I'd say yes.

wreck on the highway

I'd say it's ok in general for those aged 8 and above. At 8, they can understand that the show is purely intended as humorous fiction, while not understanding every single sex-related joke or whatever. My parents let me watch it at 8, and my sister at about 7, so bar the ocassional swear word (wanker, bastard, piss) it's ok.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

I've been watching The Simpsons for as long as I can remember, and I turned out TV.

On a far less one-liner note, I don't view the show as being any more harmful to children than most forms of readily available popular media out there, video games, profane rap music and the like. I mean, at least with The Simpsons there is usually a moral to the story, and a purpose behind most of the questionable material. I don't think really young children would pay that much attention to the dialogue anyway, if they're anything like me, they'd just be watching because it's a cartoon show. A highly intellectual cartoon show at that, so I kind of don't see the problem with them not understanding words like "orgasm" and "wanker" when the show has so many sophisticated 'Harvard words' as well that would likely fly right by them. You could actually view it as a trade-off; sure your kids are running around calling everyone a "penis" but at least they now know the definition of "schadenfreude".

In conclusion, I've been watching the show for as long as I can remember, and if anything it's had a positive effect on me, it's inspired me to be creative, and to be wary of authority. I think it's definitely a good idea to start kids watching The Simpsons as young as possible. And uh, that's my anal, I mean, oral report.

Thank you.

Junior Camper

Yeah, it's fine for young kids to watch. They wouldn't understand any sexual related jokes anyway, and plus, there is very little swearing.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem lies more in Children not being able to understand the show than it being a bad influence on them.
    and I don't consider Damn or crap or Ass and certaintley not Hell to be Swear words.

Pin Pal

Of course its OK. Its not South Park, ya know.

I wasn't very old when I first saw my first episode of The Simpsons. Most of the "swear words" mentioned I don't think of as swear words, they usually cover the ones that are, and I don't mind the dirty jokes. Namely because if I see one, I don't watch the episode again (unless otherwise its a good episode).
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Well, It seems strange but my mum wouldn't let me watch the Simpsons until I was about 10 or 11, I'm not sure why, I think that 99% of the jokes are very tame and acceptable for nearly all ages.

The jokes that have been seen in the last few seasons have been a bit more wild than others, and I think thats one of the reasons the show has gone downhill because of lack of subtley and the 'out there' ness of the jokes.

Anyway, back to kids watching the show, I know that I would let my kids watch the Simpsons from whenever they wanted to, it could teach them a fair bit and it's better than Teletubbies or some shit.

I watched the Simpsons when I was very, very young. Any inappropriate jokes were way above my head. I mainly caught on to the physical/slapstick humor and not much else.

So, yes, I think its appropriate for children.

Is It About My Cube?

The Simpsons are okay for children to watch. The more mature jokes would go over the childs head and there is little swearing on the show.
    Seasons Rankings:

Doddering Old Man

I've watched it since it first started when I was 5 and I don't think I'm that screwed up. . .

Blockoland Owner

Oh Hell yeah!

I watched when I was a kid, and I turned out TV.

Monkey HOUSE

Originally posted by Sloppy Jimbo XII
    I've been watching The Simpsons for as long as I can remember, and I turned out TV.
    Originally posted by Run CMB
    I watched when I was a kid, and I turned out TV.
    And yea - it's fine for kids.
    Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs... Walter

I'm not sure I'd show VERY young children (like five and under or something) the show. It would depend on how I felt about their own maturity, largely in regard to episodes like "Cape Feare" that might scare certain kids.

But the way I look at it otherwise is that, if they're going to be wasting their time in front of the box anyway, they should be watching shows like The Simpsons. Aside from it being more sophisticated then most other television that might appeal to them, I frankly think its pretty important for kids to take in things that ask some questions about what they see everyday in society, and provide some satire and criticism. Perhaps I'm elevating the show beyond where I should, but I think for many kids shows like this could be a pretty effective tool in forming critical thinking skills. I envy people who actually happened to watch it as youngin's and grew up with it (I started watching when I was 13, in seventh grade).
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

I've been watching it since I was like 4 so it's perfectly fine.

The THOH's might not be though, because I remember being scared for at least a week when I was younger at the Family turning inside-out from that gas.

Pin Pal

Without even reviewing the above posts, I imagine that this has already been said a few times. I think since young children wouldn't understand the sexual innuendo and other bad things about the dialogue, it would be fine to watch it. Not only that, but if they're parent was a total "Simpsons" nerd like most of us are, it would be a good bonding experience for them and their parents to watch it together. I know I am looking forward to watching Simpsons episodes with my son/daughter in the future.

Seasons 1-4 = sort of okay for kids, since in the early years they didn't try too many dirty-dirty jokes and rarely sweared as they weren't sure they'd get away with it.
    Seasons 5-8 = meh, kids could watch it and only get 50% of the dirty jokes.
    Seasons 9-15 = no. With such things as Bart proclaiming the first day of school is a "total wank" and Kent Brockman proving he is live by saying "penis", surely little kids will try to immitate stunts like smashing a jukebox, making your hand erupt into a huge pile of blood and act cool by pretending to be the Fonz.

I've been watching the show since I was about 5 and I turned out TV.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Is there anyone here who didn't turn out TV?

This Is Dizzy Stuff, Folks duffless89's Avatar

Ayyyyyyyyyyyy! (SMASHES GLASS)

This Is Dizzy Stuff, Folks duffless89's Avatar

But anyway, The Simpsons, I reckon, are O.K. for anyone. Even my 3 year old brother watches the show.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

Does he double post too?
    signature

i watched since i was 10 that was when it was started

our backs against the wall

My 4 year old brother has been watching the show with me since he was about 2. "D'oh" and "haha" were some of the first words he learned. So I'd say it was ok. Like Cole said he laughs at more of the slapstick/physical type jokes. The sex jokes go right over his head.

I've been watching the show since I was three, and I turned out allright.

However, there are some episodes that wouldn't be right for kids. Overly sexual ones like "Natural Born Kissers" might make parents shudder. Some episodes like the THOHs might give kids nightmares. For example, "Cape Feare" depicts a small boy being stalked, threatening notes written in blood, and all kinds of things that might scare children.

Overall: Although the show contains some objectionable material, I say that The Simpsons as a whole is okay for children. It's really up to the parents though.

Thread Information