View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
286. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

129 45.10%
  • 4/5

102 35.66%
  • 3/5

42 14.69%
  • 2/5

8 2.80%
  • 1/5

5 1.75%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Fraudcast News" (FABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Fraudcast News" (FABF18)

From SNPP
    SEASON FINALE

Only one thing stands in the way of Mr. Burns controlling all of Springfield's news sources (and, as a result, the ability for anybody to say anything bad about him in mass media): Lisa's homemade newspaper.
    You can view McStinkalot's preview/speculation thread for more details.

A repeat of "Smart and Smarter" will be shown at 7:00/6:30 c.

As usual, the thread and poll will open once the episode airs. A Season 15 Rate & Review thread will also be opened at that time.

What a great finale, IMO this one beats "tis the 15th season" as best of the season

Great story, great jokes and an actual ending with a message, not some crap out

5/5

The Simpsons ended the season with a bang. great job Al Jean and crew, bring on season 16

A fantastic end to an amazing season ! This one had all. 5/5 I'm a sucker for a decent Burns episode. As great as it was I still feel that it can get even better. Let's hope next season holds up.

Toupee Moment of the Week: "Why did they cancel Futurama !" -Pimply Faced Teen

...and now we play the waiting game till next Season. At least there is a new DVD set coming out to tide everyone over.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

A very good episode to end a great year of simpsons episodes. Perfectly paced, lot's of good gags and humor, and you gotta love burns and lisa episodes. A 5/5 is in order. A/A-

Great, great episode. 5/5

pretty rad

Great season finale. The only thing I had wished for that didn't happen was a surprise cliffhanger, but maybe next year, heh.

The first act was a little... weird, but that didn't hurt the episode too badly. Very funny. Good story. Burns was great, and I'm glad they used him well. I liked the lighthearted funny ending, too. Just all-around great to end the season... that's three in a row, Al... you nasal bastard.

EDIT: The Cubs scored 3 runs during this episode. That has to mean something.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

This one was quite possibly the biggest hit and miss-fest of the year. Well, in terms of humor. The stillshot ending, the mole bit, Burns' brain piece falling out were examples of misses. Ralph's paper contributions, Burns' effect on TV, and his ant battle were total hits. Thankfully, the story was very good, and well-paced. More to come.

But 4/5
    Signature.

Harry Potter's Bitch

it was a great episode, i liked the burns with the ant, and a few other things i cant remember, wow im slow.

Junior Camper

Mostly funny with some rough patches. 4/5.
    I love it when they do Rupert Murdoch jokes, for some reason.

Tomacco basically said what I was going to. So so many jokes just... failed miserably. As a whole, a good episode and a great way to end the season.

4/5

Pin Pal

This was a slight disappointment, but still very good throughout most of it. I found that it started off strangely, with an almost laughless first act (outside of the brilliant "WHY DID THEY CANCEL FUTURAMA!?!!" That was ME!), and some truly strange sight gags and writing. It gradually improved though, to a great third act and one of the best endings this season (everybody's own paper). Nice way to wrap things up, I think. Full review comes later, once I have more time on my hands, but for now it's a B/B+, 4/5.

Guy who loses arguments. newhook_1's Avatar

Oh dear, I didn't seem to like it as much as everyone else. Still a great episode but not one of my favorites this season. 3.5/5

first episode in a while that I've actually wanted to rewatch right after it aired. really funny with a good story.

all the animal jokes had me laughing out loud for some reason.
    5/5

pretty nice way to end the season, and gives us an impression that don payne > john frink.

humor was good, story was great. overall i would give it a B+. now its time for the long haul until season 16.

country sad ballad man

Started off shakily, then found it's footing in the second act. Not as good as I was hoping, but still good. I especially liked the jab at you Futurama nerds. A/A-

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Good episode. The hilarity of the Futurama and Simpsons nerds references made up for the idiocy of the mole nipple-sucking and Homer's ability to climb the side of a mountain in thirty seconds. 7/10, B

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Was it an all-timer like Homer the Moe? No, but it was more than enough to get the taste of Bart-Mangled Banner out of my mouth.

A sort of meh first act had me worried, but act two was great, and the third, pretty good. Plenty of laughs, a nice ending (thank god we didn't see mother mole a third time), and overall, a big time rebound. About a 4.25.

Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. Tomacco really hit the point about the humor on the head. definitely wasn't the funniest episode of the season, but it had some great jokes/bits, as well as some that didn't really work. Quite a few odd bits in this one too for some reason it seemed (Burns sucking on the mole back at his mansion, crazy looking experessions during the Rupert Murdoch jab). Had a nice, completely plausible story with little to no wackiness to boot. Overall, i think Lisa was great in this episode and Burns wasn't bad either. Homer's 'newspaper' to Lisa was a nice little touch as well. Overall, B/B+.

Junior Camper

OK well this was a great way to end the season. Woogie loves epiosdes about the kids.

5/5 from me!

And most of you nerds must have loved the line when Burns said "I hate it when nerds dont know they're nerds"

"Why did they have to cancel Futurama?"
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

stop happening

Good way to end the season, that episode made up for the last couple of episodes that they aired. I hope the 16th season is good. 5/5
    Season rankings (best to worst)

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was one of those episodes no one will remember since there wasn't anything really great and there wasn't anything really bad happening. Pretty solid and I thought the ref to the real Face on the rock being brought down by human meddling, rather than nature was cool.

3/5

Jake

p.s. A media group buying out all the TV, newspaper and Radio stations in Springfield?!? Good idea!

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I agree with what Tomacco said, for the most part. Definitely a hit-or-miss episode. I rate it as highly as him, as a matter of fact. However, I think that, overall, this episode did what it was supposed to, but I still can't see any reason to rate it as the best of the season, when, in my opinion, there are still a lot of bugs to work out.

As I was watching this episode, I found myself comparing it to a Scull-era episode (not nearly as much so as last week's atrocity, "Bart Mangled Banner", though). For one thing, the first act contained many "cartoony" gags, such as comparing Burns to a lizard and snake or the whole breast-feeding thing. Definitely the two worst moments of the episode. In acts two and three, Homer was starting to get back to his Scully-self. He was, simply said, a complete and utter moron, but not in a good way. His lowest point in the episode was, without a doubt, eating cups of drugs in Burns's office in act three. Seriously, what does that remind you of? Speaking of the whole, "Here, have some drugs," joke, that reminded me of something out of a season 11 or 12 episode. Now, I'm not saying that these jokes and concepts ruined the episode, but they're definitely a bit of an annoyance, and not a good way to end such a great season.

Also, on the problem front, this episode kind of dragged along, and I thought that in a way it went around in circles. The last 10 minutes were basically Burns trying to destroy Lisa's paper, usually with unfunny results. Not to say that don't like the episode's concept, but this one really took its time.

Well, enough complaining, let's talk about the funny aspects. There were some great jokes, particularly, "Why did they have to cancel Futurama?!". That was the highest point...of act one. Act two gave us a bounty of Burns jokes, most of which at least got a chuckle out of me. Act three was where this episode took its stand and proved that The Simpsons still has a ton of life left in it (which I began to doubt after last week's episode). I must say, with all things considered, the ending redeems anything that was bad about the episode. For one thing, in the end Homer writes a rather sweet article about his daughter (which is the best part of the episode, in my opinion), and for a change he is a bit profound in the end. And, the message this episode sends is heard loud and clear.

All in all, a fine job and a great way to close the season. Hope season 16 is even better:B+/A- or 4/5

Edit: Voted 3/5 by mistake. This can be attributed to the fact that I didn't think much of this episode at the start of my review, so when I was ready to vote I subconsciously retained my original opinion on this episode (being a 3/5) and voted for that by mistake. But mostly it's sleep deprivation. Yeah, I'll go with that.
    Last edited by Gorky; 05-23-2004 at 05:17 PM.

And another "Simpsons" season draws to a close. What a long, funny trip it's been - and this was no exception. I'll start by saying that this episode was very well written ("Why did they have to cancel 'Futurama'?" had me rolling), and it was great to have a plot that revolved around Lisa and Burns rather than being Homer-centric. Even the gags that didn't fly (Burns' brain piece, the mole-nursing thing) were at least chuckleworthy. Burns was ON in this episode (acting evil like the old days, and the gag about his age with him withering as he spit out his tea). When Lisa's paper took off, it got even better (Ralph hasn't disappointed in a while). Seeing all the Burns-centric media was also memorable, although I'm surprised they brought back Boobarella from EABF07 of all characters - wouldn't it have been easier (and much more of a throwback) to have Scott Christian instead? Just the same, seeing Lisa and Burns argue was hilarious ("Dear God, are you always on?") Then Burns kicked into overdrive with his attacks on Lisa, "nerds who don't know they're nerds" was a nice subtle gag, the ant thing was the hardest I've laughed in months, and even Homer singing with the Spice Girls song was pretty good (the "It was so worth it" line saved it). The episode ended on a high note, with good quick use of minor players (Barney's still drunk, woohoo!) and a classic shot at FOX. In all, a great finale, and I can't wait for November (or possibly October, since the 31st falls on a Sunday this year).

5/5

EDIT: Did anyone notice that this is the second consecutive season finale to conclude with a montage of photographs?
    Last edited by Wavy Gravy; 05-23-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

a malcolm and a archer

Great way to end the season. Yes, it was hit and miss, but most of the misses came in the first act, and by the end of the episode, I had to be reminded of most of them. The episode contained some of the best Burns characterization in years. There were times in this episode that you could see flashes of the old tyrant. Lisa was also done well, though more quips or drawn out, thought-filled monologues could have been thrown in. Thankfully though, she played much of the same role as she did in The President Wore Pearls, as a small voice trying to speak her mind and affect others. She was able to do that. Now, the humor was a bit poor in the first act, as was some of the progression. If we were able to see Burns saving himself as it happened rather than him showing up and recalling the story, then it would have been more effective, even if it wasn't a great scene to begin with. The mother mole and the brain falling out were poor, as was Burns face withering after he gasped; and why the same natural causes that created the Geezer couldn't have killed it rather than Homer I don't know. Also, I don't see why just one newscast should prompt Burns to do all this. Aside from those nitpicks, there was little going wrong on the screen. Once the second act began, it was excellent form there on. Burns taking over every media aspect and then seeing how he exploited them was excellent. The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon was one of the funniest in years. On the other side, Lisa's story proved just as effective, as Ralph contributed to the paper with some of his best reecent moments. Social commentary and satire was stronger than it had been all season. In the third act, another memorable hit occured with another Skinner flashback. Lisa received her final inspiration from an unlikely source. Homer's paper was not memorable as a bonding moment, but it did plenty for the plot. The ending was a bit poor, as the stillshots were unnecessary, but didn't detract from the episode at all.

A-

Dear Everyone,
    saying "i have the same exact opinion as jonah" is not a good review.
    Kisses & Hugs,
    J.Re

huh?

It was alright, and Burns and Lisa were both great in it. But was a bit overwacky at times. C.E.D'oh was slightly better than this. B

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Almost classic. Burns crushing an ant was probably the funniest moment of the season. Quite a few jokes fell flat and that first act was over in what 3 scenes?! crazy! i thought, damn, 1/3 through already? Burns' lizard tounge (while offencive, at least to my father) was pretty stupid. Lots of great subtle jabs (Nelson as a TV critic) were offset by the uncomfortably blatant (Rupert Murdoch mention) references.

Yet, i loved the story, and the involvement of the family in the episode. Nice ending too (even the final "shopping" gag). So much fun to watch, but not much to laugh at... 4/5

(didn't Ralph seem fatter than usual?)
    Last edited by That Jerk; 05-23-2004 at 06:05 PM.

To be short, this episode had a good story. Most of the jokes weren't funny but didn't make the episode much worse.
    B
    Wicked.

pretty rad

Heh, yeah, Ralph did seem a bit fatter than normal, either that or his head was too small. Either way, I can't wait for his next column in tomorrow's Tribune.

Thread Information