View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
524. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

139 26.53%
  • 4/5

74 14.12%
  • 3/5

82 15.65%
  • 2/5

100 19.08%
  • 1/5 <-- this is the one you want

129 24.62%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Bart-Mangled Banner" (FABF17)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Bart-Mangled Banner" (FABF17)

From SNPP
    The Simpsons are going to...Alcatraz" to do some hard time when Bart accidentally moons the USA flag
    You can view Strong Sad's speculation thread for more details.

A repeat of "The Wandering Juvie" will be shown at 8:30/7:30 c.

As usual, the thread and poll will open once the episode airs.

Much better than what I think everyone was expecting. The episode started off great but ended up way too far fetched in the end. There were a bunch of great gags although the knocks at America were a bit low. 4/5 (should be much lower but you know me).
    Last edited by Datoupee; 05-16-2004 at 04:42 PM.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Season 9: All Singing All Dancing
    Season 10: Homer Simpson in Kidney Trouble
    Season 11: Kill the Alligator and Run
    Season 12: Simpson Safari
    Season 13: Lastest Gun in the West
    Season 14: Helter Shelter
    Season 15: Bart-Mangled Banner

Figure it out.
    Signature.

what the fuck was that about?!
    1/5

why did bart have to go deaf?

Junior Camper

what a travesty

well... uh... next week's episode sounds pretty good, huh?

what's an applebees Necromancer's Avatar

Simpson Safari and Kill the Alligator and Run are now tied for second worst episode ever. That was just awful.

i am the killer dressed in pilgrim's clothing.

Enjoy!

Ummm I liked it, but it was really thrown together at the end. REALLY thrown together.
    NO MATTER HOW HORRIBLE THINGS MAY SEEM, THEY CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE.

pretty rad

Actually, they're playing That 70s Show now.

Oh, and that episode was PAINFUL TO WATCH. The third act was way too unreal to appreciate at all. Re-education? Alcatraz? France? What the?

It could have been a somewhat good episode, but it just turned out awful thanks to that goofy plot twist. No sale... worse than Marge vs. Everyone, even.

Next week might turn out to be the redeemer.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Stonecutter

Terrible, farfetched satire, and the "Back to America" ending was strange. But besides that some of the stuff was pretty funny, and even the problems didn't hamper the fun I had watching it. I'll have to go with a B- or so for now. Decent enough.

EDIT: Wow. Judging from some of the other opinions being expressed here, I'm about to be flogged.
    Last edited by Charmy; 05-20-2004 at 01:38 PM.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

umm.. different.

it wasn't awful, but it was well on its way there.
    i honestly dont know what to think.

Painful, just horrible. My first F since season 12.

This episode was pretty bad, and it has lately been difficult for the show to unplease me. This episode just tried to be funny with randomness, which didn't work. There did seem to be a very poor attempt to satirize the right's fascist-like love of America, but because it was meant to be randomnly funny, it was just did not work. (It was also done with very poor taste.) They could have done a better and more intelligent episode with the same message. It's hard to nail down exactly what went wrong when it seemed like everything was a trainwreck from the start. How did this episode survive pass the writing phase?

Edit: my number Score - 1/5
    Last edited by reyontoyeny; 05-16-2004 at 04:44 PM.
    Wicked.

It wasn't terrible but it was far from good, it just made no sense... The whole American's being to hype about Patriotism was good but the ending sucked. It started out Okay, but that could've so much better.

And also only a few parts made me laugh. 2/5 (D+) for now.
    Last edited by Mira; 05-16-2004 at 04:41 PM.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Weak weak weak. Poorly executed, heavy-handed, just plain bad.

I do like the fact that Moe is Dutch though.

But still, a definite Worst Episode Ever candidate in my book. 1/5, and that's being generous.

Originally posted by J.Re*
    what the fuck was that about?!
    1/5
    pretty much what I was going to say.

awful.

The once-again-wrong description on the Fox site actually sounded a thousand times better than what we got. I'll write more soon.

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

What complete and utter trash. Give me back my 30 minutes, Al.

This is one of the most boring, stupid and just downright idiodic episode I have ever seen, all the jokes were stupid, the characters were just downright dumb and out of character, why did they even produce this episode?

I liked the Simpsons when it dealt with realism...
    - Sean

I really should visit here more often...

Terrible just terrible. I had no clue what to think when I was watching it. Stupid sceens, just to list a few:
    -Dr. Hibbert chasing Bart around
    -Barney and Moe dressed up as Hibbert
    -Bart going deaf
    -Donkey basketball game
    -Bart taking so long to pull his shirt over his ass
    -Moe, Lenny and Carl leaving the bar
    -Everyone turning on the Simpsons
    -The T.V. show thing, and Homer with all the food in his mouth was disturbing for some reason
    -Krusty sceen
    -S.W.A.T. team holding the Simpsons at Gunpoint
    -The WHOLE prison and escape sceens, espically ELMO.
    -Simpsons living in France
    -Starting a new life in a America?

It seemed like a new South Park episode gone VERY, VERY bad. Worse episode since the days of season 12.

.5/5
    Last edited by Pukahontas; 05-16-2004 at 04:53 PM.

I dont see what all the fuss is about. A bit of the episode was farfetched, including the cop out ending, but I thought it contain plenty of laugh out loud moments. Hilarious, if anything. Full review to come tomorrow. B

pretty good, not as great as i was expecting and the ending was too scully like, but it had some gr4eat politcal satire, and ther story felt developed (and then rushed at the end)

i gave it a 4/5

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Donkey basketball game
    They actually have those

I've actually gone to them

Pretty much everything has already been said.
    Attempts at satire were tired and ridiculous and so was almost everything else about the episode.
    Last edited by Magnum; 05-16-2004 at 04:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

1-600-DOCTORB

I liked it. There were lots of laughs from me because of the stupid acts, particulary the Elmo commiting suicide reference. But I found the overhyped Patriotism parody funny (Libertyville, reminds me of the whole Liberty Fries and Liberty Toast charades.) I'd give this a 4/5.
    -Joe

It hurts to do this, but I will have to write my first flat-out-negative review of the season (which I really thought would be the first to go without a true stinker since the golden years).

Tonight's episode was most likely the worst since "Simpson Safari", beating out "The Blunder Years", "The Lastest Gun in the West", and "Helter Shelter" in terms of low quality. This episode was such a complicated mess interms of storyline, jokes, and character definition. I'll try to go through those three one by one.

So what was this episode ABOUT? Uhh.. Bart escapes a vaccination, gets it, reacts with deafness, moons the flag accidentally, somehow the family is deemed unpatriotic along with him, then Springfield falls the same fate, the town is changed to Libertyville to boost their patriotism, the Simpsons refuse to accept these intense changes, they are arrested for treason, put in Alcatraz, put under Americana rehab, they escape, move to France, and immigrate back to the US. Oh, and their names are the Simps now.

This is about as directionless as some of the worst Scully era episodes. Even "The Lastest Gun in the West" and "Helter Shelter" had tighter themes and plot development. Each scene goes by at rapid-fire pace, and the key scenes that actually advance the storyline are often quicker than the ones dedicated to jokes, often making me trace things back a few steps in my mind to understand what's happening. What a mess.

The characters were in character for most of the episode, but as it kept trucking along, everything felt increasingly chaotic. Bart was himself in the first act, and so were Homer and Marge as far as I can remember. But by the third act, Homer was acting too stupid and obnoxious (singing "Take me out to the Ball Game" while being arrested?), Lisa being shot full of sodium pentathol, the family's cooperation with Cookie's plan (don't tell me that wasn't Cookie, and alert the continuity police because he died in "Dude, Where's My Ranch"!), Homer eating a seal, the family passively taking up life in France and as immigrants, etc. It all felt like how the family behaved on the lam in "Kill the Alligator and Run". As for side-characters, Moe is now Dutch (so now he's an Italian-Dutch born in Indiana?), and Dr. Hibbert is a needle-crazy menace.

The jokes front was the best part of the episode (which is sad), with a mishmash of ridiculous but funny gags (some moments relating to Bart being deaf provided chuckles) to "satire" too blatant for its own good. Notably, not a single thing in the third act was funny, and it was obvious they were trying to be. The second act featured the episode's best scene, which was the political talk show. I did laugh at the host. But everything else...donkey basketball? Chanel suits as napkins? Elmo? Wow.

I understand the intention of the episode was to write one around America's self-loving and ego-stroking, but how did THIS get past the early drafts? How did the entire writing staff sit in their screening room and watch this in its entirety, laugh throughout it, and send it off to Fox for airing? This question plagued me a number of times in seasons 10-12, and a couple of times afterwards. Now I'm certain it will continue to happen. For the sake of season 15, it would have been nice if FABF17 had been held over for next season instead of FABF16.

I think I'll give it a 2/5 for its funny moments, and because a 1/5 indicates to me that NOTHING was done right (like "Simpson Safari"), but I'm being generous probably, and I KNOW the NHC will respond terribly.

Let's end the season on the note it deserves please. Here's to a good season finale!

pretty rad

Heh, I forgot they decided to rename the town Libertyville.

Chicagolanders stoked.

Pin Pal

Sure, this episode was wacky, but when you're creating a parody of something as outlandish as Right Wing Nationalism and the Bush Administration...

I'll take blatent satire over jockey elves and Florida vacations anyday.

This episode could have been better, but the gags and swipes at jingoism often had me rolling with laughter.

4/5
    ***All Hail Al Jean, the Holy One***

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

This is what happens when you "Scully up" political satire in the Simpsons. It had a few laughs but they can't redeem that horrible hibbert vs. Bart montage, donkey basketball, and the worst third act all season. The second act was the only good part, with Marge escalating the dilemma. This could have been a good episode but the wackiness offset the theme, big time.

Pin Pal

There were a few moments but overall was too wacky and stupid. Judging by the jokes maybe the writer hates America. I was kind by voting it 3/5. More like 2/5 C- range I think.

voted for Kodos

The first act was horrid. Just horrid. I was both bored and filled with rage. It was way too cartoony, and reminded me of the Scully years (thats bad). Act Two was the Strongest and act three was still 20 X stronger than act one. I thought the last two acts presented a sharp social commentary for the times and that was what saved the episode. Ofcourse though, the best part was Apu re-naming his kids, anyone have a list?
    First act=D-
    2nd Act=A-
    3rd Act=B

Overall, C+

The second act was funny but the rest was terrible. I am really tired of seeing Clinton so many times after his presidency when we have not yet seen a Simpsonized Dubya made fun of.
    I'm back.

The second act was funny but the rest was terrible. I am really tired of seeing Clinton so many times after his presidency when we have not yet seen a Simpsonized Dubya made fun of.
    Good point. This show had its share of Bush Sr. and Clinton appearances. I demand a Bush Jr. one. As terrible of an F-episode this is, this screamed a Bush appearance.

Thread Information