• 5/5 - This episode is one with everything

5 62.50%
  • 4/5 - It's not working; it just is

1 12.50%
  • 3/5 - It's one way, then it's the opposite

1 12.50%
  • 2/5 - Say "fraud!"

1 12.50%
  • 1/5 - What healthy person would voluntarily spend five minutes with this joker?

0 0%

Thread: R/R King of the Hill "Hank's Back"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R/R King of the Hill "Hank's Back"

King of the Hill episode # 8ABE15, "Hank's Back" (originally "The Unbearable Lightness of Being Hank")
    Written by Gregory Thompson & Aron Abrams (veterans of Third Rock From the Sun and other shows, writing their first KotH episode)
    Directed by: Robin Brigstocke (a longtime KotH animator making a directorial debut, and doing an excellent job of it)
    Guest voices: Johnny Depp, Marg Helgenberger, Phil Hendrie

Plot: Hank injures his back at work and only yoga can fix it; a nosy claims investigator tries to prove that Hank is abusing worker's compensation; Peggy goes to work at the Pink & White to revive the lost art of bagging.

My thoughts: 5/5. Funny stuff all along the way, and no sagging or moralizing in the third act (which is a trouble I've had with the last few episodes). Johnny Depp was a classic KotH guest star, which is to say that everything about him makes Hank want to kick his ass. That's the way I like to see Hank: impossibly square, constantly annoyed, dealing with pencil-pushers and New Age hippie-types, and holding onto his values while maybe picking up something new along the way. Minor quibbles (underuse of Bobby; lack of Luanne and Kahn; yet another wacky Peggy subplot, albeit a funny one) don't stop this from going on my shortlist of the best of the season (my others so far are "Reborn to Be Wild," "The Incredible Hank," "My Hair Lady," possibly "DaleTech").

-------
    Next week's episode, "The Redneck on Rainey Street," was described to me in glowing terms by someone who's seen it, so I have high hopes for that one, particularly since it's written by Jim Dauterive, one of the show's original writers (he did "Junkie Business," "Hanky Panky," "A Beer Can Named Desire" among many others). And the season finale is by Garland Testa ("Aisle 8A," "Movin' On Up," "Chasing Bobby".) Hopefully this season is headed for a good finish.
    Last edited by arlen_texas; 05-10-2004 at 04:40 PM.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

5, easily. Strong all the way through with tons of classic humor.

Junior Camper

Now, I'll admit I'm pro-Yoga, so let me just say this much: Until worse came to worse, wasn't Hank being just a little TOO close-minded about the whole Yoga thing? I mean, I'm just saying (but then, true to The Great Humongous in OFF's "Homer The Moe" (2001), I guess I'm ALWAYS "Just Saying"...)...

Surprised at how good the reviews are. I thought this was one of the most forgettable eps in the show's history. I forgot I even watched it within minutes afterwards. The Yoga instructor character (why was it necessary for him to be voiced by Depp?) was funny, but the whole episode's premise felt so rehashed that it was irritating. Also, why, WHY must we have another stupid weak Peggy subplot!? This has to stop as soon as possible.
    Signature.

wreck on the highway

4/5, not too shabby, but as Tomacoo said, a little too forgettable. Strong overall though.

I agree with Tomacco about the Crazy Peggy subplots. It was a "meh" episode. I'd give it a B-. I don't feel like writing a review.

And, Homeboy, I'm surprised Hank wasn't more close-minded about Yoga. He's always been very intolerant when it comes to new things.

Crotis Jivefunk

3/5. I agree with everything Tomacco said, plus what was the Peggy subplot again? How many health problems has Hank had now? There was his colon, his small buttocks, his narrow urethra and now this.

Originally posted by Homeboy
    Now, I'll admit I'm pro-Yoga, so let me just say this much: Until worse came to worse, wasn't Hank being just a little TOO close-minded about the whole Yoga thing? I mean, I'm just saying (but then, true to The Great Humongous in OFF's "Homer The Moe" (2001), I guess I'm ALWAYS "Just Saying"...)...
    It would be out of character for Hank to not be close minded.

4/5 Good stuff.

I thought it was okay, but forgettable to say the least. 3/5

Thread Information