View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: "So happy together."

139 49.47%
  • 4/5: "Well done. I'd be proud if you grew up to be my husband's mistress."

78 27.76%
  • 3/5: "Homer drunk ... but how?"

32 11.39%
  • 2/5: "It's Elvis. Elvis Jagger Abdul-Jabbar."

23 8.19%
  • 1/5: "Well, I hate this job, but I love the health plan.

9 3.20%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Way We Weren't" (FABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "The Way We Weren't" (FABF13)

From SNPP
    WARNING: FLASHBACK EPISODE
    ...back to Homer and Marge's first kiss...or at least it would have been had that girl Homer was kissing been Marge
    You can check out the preview & speculation thread for more details and applaud DotheBartman for fulfilling his lifelong dream.

A repeat of "Marge vs. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens and Gays" will be shown at 8:30/7:30 c.

As usual, the thread and poll will open once the episode airs.

This episode has "classic" written all over it.
    Its pacing, framing, conflict and resolution are all reminiscent of classic Simpsons episodes, and naturally specifically the flashback episodes such as "I Married Marge" and "Lisa's Sax". The episode was always on target and never went off on tangents. The theme of first kisses started off right at the beginning with Milhouse's kiss to Homer (everyone will cry horror at Milhouse's declaration of it being his first kiss, just like in EABF13 when Lisa made the same error about her first kiss).

What this episode really did (thankfully) was reward people like me who were expecting such an episode from "The Blunder Years" back in season 13. While still making use of young versions of Lenny, Carl and Moe, this episode added Marge, Patty, Selma, Cookie Kwan, Helen, Luanne, Wiggum, Comic Book Guy and others to the list. Seeing the kids act as young'uns, in new discovery of the opposite sex, was both humorous and fresh. Overall I would say both the boys and girls camps provided equal laughs. It was kind of strange how Lenny, Carl, Homer and Moe seem to be the only campers at their camp.

As for the framing narrative, I thought it worked very well. The way Homer and Marge's first meeting and date told from each of their perspectives worked great (with that feature being parodied in itself with the Cpt. McCallister perspective joke). The resolution Marge's disappointment and getting over the pain was pretty simple, but effective. The heart rock ending was a very nice touch.

The humor department was fully staffed as well, with everything from visual gags (both Marge and Homer's kiss dream sequences) to tongue-in-cheek humor (Moe's origin of prank calls, Bart's 3 kisses, Homer recalling his past worse deeds in "The Cartridge Family", "Pray Anything", and "Lisa's Wedding"). Young Homer was nicely characterized as an innocent, inexperienced Homer, who still has a sweet side ("from eating 16 pieces of pie"). Moe was my second favorite young characterziation, on a bit of a power trip as "junior counsellor". I found a bulk of my louder laughs though came in the second and third acts of the episode. The first act provided the least overall.

All in all, this was a pleasant beautifully structured, funny episode. I can't imagine what I would really change. A 5/5 seems in order to me.

PS: Was the girls camp instructor supposed to be the stable owner from "Lisa's Pony"? Looked and sounded alike.
    Signature.

This one had a feeling from Seasons 3 - 4 if you ask me. Nostalgic Simpsons episodes work well most of the time and this was no exception. 5/5

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Junior Camper

A perfect episode
    Pacing, flow, humour, etc. Well done.
    5/5

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

I was about to say, Datoupee, that your grade didn't match the review. Well, this is good news.

Didn't they wear out the "Marge and Homer fight, later on get back to together" thing a long time ago?

2, but next week's preview was so bad it knocked it down toa 1.5. Rounding moved it back up to 2.

Here's what's going to happen: The Simpsons die-hards are going to love this ep, the casual viewers like me are going to hate it.

Is there some kind of Meta-reference quota we don't know of? There's more and more every ep. Kinda kills he continuity, but then again Mike Scully killed continuity. Let's blame everything on Scully.

Yeah, that global warming, all Scully's fault. And 9/11.

j. stewart burns does it again

A

Oh man. This was great and perfect in every way and at least 20 times better than the Blunder years. It was really funny AND emotional.

Tons of Great lines too. Moe's "And that's the origin of that", and Homer "I ruined Lisa's wedding in the future" didn't change anything either.
    Excellent episode.

pretty rad

That has to be one of the best episodes in YEARS, let alone weeks. I was hoping for good use of young versions of Springfield adults, and they succeeded. A lot of jokes fired and hit, only a few groaners (the Moe 'origin' line, the Osama bit) All in all they did very well.

Next week looks like crap.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Originally posted by Spooner
    Didn't they wear out the "Marge and Homer fight, later on get back to together" thing a long time ago?

2, but next week's preview was so bad it knocked it down toa 1.5. Rounding moved it back up to 2.

Here's what's going to happen: The Simpsons die-hards are going to love this ep, the casual viewers like me are going to hate it.

Is there some kind of Meta-reference quota we don't know of? There's more and more every ep. Kinda kills he continuity, but then again Mike Scully killed continuity. Let's blame everything on Scully.

Yeah, that global warming, all Scully's fault. And 9/11.
    While I don't agree with your review on this episode, I do agree that the preview for next week's episode was pretty bad. Why do SWAT teams always have to barge in and point guns at Simpsons' heads?

It may have been a perfect episode in the technical department, I just didn't think it was very funny.

2/5
    Heckling a Puppet show.

frogophone

Eh, kinda unremarkable. Marge getting her feelings hurt was overblown, I think, and they went a little heavy with the syrup at the end. Pretty funny overall, loved Homer's kiss sequence, his fake name, a lot of the camp stuff. Not hysterical, but nice. I don't know why they ruined the prank phone call joke with the neon meta-reference-here sign, but the others hit. May elaborate later, I didn't catch everything, noisy living room blah blah blah.

Oh, and the Parliament/Funkadelic line was grooovy.
    Last edited by Tibor; 05-09-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Junior Camper

you people are crazy.

2/5

cute
    4/5

Similar to last weeks episode. An instant classic for sure. This season has been great. Already ahead of 9 and 1, and fast aproaching 8, if the last episodes are good ones. Not as funny as last week's, but flashback epissodes are almost always winners in this series. A

didn't much care for it. Not a whole lot of jokes to keep this episode going. About the only laughs I got was the captain, "I'm the camp's sailing instruct-arrr. On movie night, I run the project-arrr. Only PG, no arrr. arrr." The Kool-Aid man dying in Homer's dream and the IBM stock... ing.

2/5
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Wow, Tomacco saved me the effort of writing a review - his view and grade of the episode are identical to mine.

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

I was wondering something: Is it new for the Simpsons to license out popular songs from the 60's, 70's, and 80's instead of the traditional orchestra music? Alf Clausen must feel so unloved.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

I usually get to see eps twice before posting (thanks to Newfoundland and satellite technology) but I've only had one viewing of this. Voted 4, but repeated viewings may very well bump it up.

And I loved the Happy Together sequences. Like that Catch Me If You Can bit, it makes me want to see a whole episode like that. Many (okay, probably most) will disagree with this, and it may very well be better in theory than in practice, but it would be something different, and even a failure would be admirable IMO.

Originally posted by Spooner
    I was wondering something: Is it new for the Simpsons to license out popular songs from the 60's, 70's, and 80's instead of the traditional orchestra music? Alf Clausen must feel so unloved.
    nah, its been a combination of both for a long time.

Blog Entries

Good episode. The first act was pretty much flawless, but as Marge added her side of the story, the ep kinda lost it's streamlined structure. didn't make it confusing in the least, but each act did get progressively worse, however un-noticeable it may have been. There was plenty of humor to boot, as i thought this was one of the funniest episodes of the season, the jokes were (for the most part) used well, too. Just the fact of seeing several of the simpsons citizens as "youngin's" was good, but most of them were fairly funny with some good lines. The two Homer/Marge imagination sequences while they were kissing were fantastic. Also, i don't see why everyone always gripes about meta-refs simply because they're meta-refs, despite them being quite funny sometimes (although a majority of them have been stupid). I enjoyed Moe's meta-ref ("and that's the origin of that"), thought it was voiced well by Hank. Also, Homer's line "ruining Lisa's wedding in the future, remember that?" was hilarious. Anyways, i digress. 'Twas a fantastic episode with hardly any jokes, lines, or actions that truly annoyed me, and that's a feat for a simpsons episode these days. A solid A, probably the second or third best of the season.
    Last edited by bmac; 05-09-2004 at 05:03 PM.

Originally posted by Stackhouse
    nah, its been a combination of both for a long time.

Ah, thanks. No idea why I'm only now beginning to notice it.

Ack...the way things look to be going, I'm going to be in the minority here (EDIT: it seems I'm not, really), but I thought this was pretty unremarkable; and I've loved the majority of this season. Last week's was one of my favorite episodes in years.

Perhaps the most grating thing about "The Way We Weren't" was the absolutely terrible phone-in job Julie Kavner did. Her voice as a child was fine, but modern-day Marge had no emotion whatsoever. She sounded so lifeless delivering what should have been emotionally packed dialogue. That killed any tug at the heartstrings from me, and this was the type of episode that half-depended on evoking feelings like that...

Speaking of which, why would Marge gasp loudly and clutch her chest over learning Homer had a kiss before their own, but just kind of say, "Homer, that girl was me," as calmly as can be when she realized the truth? That should have been one of the biggest shocks of her life.

The funniest bits were the psychotropic kiss (especially the Kool-Aid Man's death); Captain MacAllister; Homer's cluster bomb/zombie line; Selma (Patty?) kissing Homer; and the running gags about Homer's fake name.

The animation/character designs in the flashback were beautiful, and I found myself being quite pleased to see a young CBG, and even Cookie Kwan. But the character designs in the present seemed way off; modern Homer's face especially looked deformed.

Homer/Marge conflicts being resolved within the last minute has got to stop.

Overall, I was disappointed. I hate to say it, but I was.

2/5

A very well conceived episode despite being mostly unfunny and cliché. 4/5

By the way, didn't we learn in The Way We Was that Marge's hair was not in the straight up style untill prom night?

Junior Camper

4/5

It was good. I liked it. I'm holding off giving it a 5/5 because I don't think it was a "classic" that deserves to rank up there with some of my favorites from the show's early years but I thought it was a very worthy effort. One of my favorites from this season so far.

Wow. I'm amazed at how well the staff pulled this one off. It was funny, well-constructed, smooth-running, romantic, touching, and (for the most part) respected continuity. As Tomacco said, it has the same qualities and feel to it that the other flashback episodes (excluding "The Blunder Years") had. And I'm sure that it will be a favorite of mine for years to come.

I can understand the complaints. There were a few things that got me mad, such as Milhouse saying that his kiss with Homer was his first. And sure there were some cutesy, mushy moments, but hey, in a story about one's first kiss, you have to expect a little sappiness. I really shouldn't say "sap" because I think the episode did a good job of getting the point across without being too mushy, but there really is no other word to describe it.

The story itself was really rather interesting, because you would think that the writers would have done a story about first kisses a long time ago. But, they didn't, and instead they waited 15 years and turned out an amazing episode, reminiscent of episodes like "The Way We Was", "I Married Marge", and classic-era episodes in general.

The most obvious thing that reminds me of classic eps is this one's first act. It introduced the idea and wasn't disjointed from the rest of the episode. I think that certain episodes have such intricate plots that they need all three acts to get a point across. This is one of those episodes, and I'm glad that the writers realized it and wrote the script accordingly.

The best part, and the one that stuck out the most in my mind, was the way the story was told from two different viewpoints; Homer's and Marge's. It allowed you to see the affect that a first kiss had on both of them, and it gave the story another interesting dimension. I thought that it was amazing that Marge was so devastated when Homer stood her up, and that she thought that she could never love a man again. Likewise, Homer cared about Marge, but never thought that missing their second "date" would be so emotionally damaging to her.

I also couldn't believe how you could buy what was coming out of the kids' mouths. As children, Homer and Marge were acting like adults; they were in love, and felt like they had a complete grasp on the subject of a first kiss and all that occurs because of it. I think that, at one point, both Homer and Marge said that they were in love, even though we know that the chances of a kid saying it and sincerely meaning it (as both of them did) are really slim.

Speaking of kids, seeing many Springfieldians as kids was great. Sure, Lenny, Carl and Moe had already appeared, but we got to see Comic Book Guy, Quimby, Helen Lovejoy, Cookie Kwan, Patty and Selma, and more. This offered some great laughs and was simply an interesting concept to explore.

Something which I forgot to mention earlier was Homer and Marge's first encounter; while Homer is working in the kitchen and returns Marge's retainer. I thought that it was so sweet that Homer would say that his favorite part of camp was working in the kitchen because he got to meet Marge. Now, I admit to being a bit of a sucker for romance, but I'm sure that a lot of people liked that part (or, at least I hope, for my sake).

I also liked the various references to earlier episodes and problems with continuity (this excludes the Moe's prank call line, "And that's the origin of that."). I loved Homer's line, "...It was the 60's,...or maybe the 50's, or maybe the early 70's" (something along the lines of that) that dealt with the fact that the characters were locked in as being teens in the 70's (in "The Way We Was"), even though they never age. So technically, Homer and Marge would have had to be about 10 and 8 (respectively) in this ep, meaning that it took place in roughly 1960. This would make Homer about 50 and Marge in her late 40's. Don't worry if you didn't understand that, it's not supposed to make sense.

Finally, the "Happy Together" montage. I liked how you got to see Marge's idea of what the kiss felt like (riding in the clouds) and Homer's idea (being in a land of food and Kool-Aid and all that good stuff). I found Homer's fantasy to be hilarious, and I found myself laughing at least 3 times at various jokes during that montage alone.

To sum it all up, this is my second favorite of the season (second only to "My Mother the Carjacker; which used to be my third favorite of the season, but as you'll see, I tweaked my top 5 list a bit) and only the third this season to earn a prestigious 5/5:A+
    Last edited by Gorky; 05-10-2004 at 03:44 PM.

freedom. silence. always.

meh... wasn't that funny

flashback eps are starting to get lame...

3/5

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

This felt like one big meta episode. The jokes were funny as hell, but theres just something wierd and silly about ten year olds in love. The voice acting was pretty bad too, especialy young Moe. 3/5

Crotis Jivefunk

BEST OF SEASON! I agree with everything Tomacco said in his review. Good use of minor characters, nice subtle jokes and meta references, great characterizations. The fantasy sequence had me rolling on the floor. The only jokes that fell flat were Homer's recess, and Moe's origin line, and even they weren't that bad. Perfect 5/5, classic written all over. I'm making a place for it in the top 50.

Season Rankings:
    -THOH XIV 4/5
    -My Mother the Carjacker 5/5
    -The President Wore Pearls 5/5
    -The Regina Monologues 5/5
    -The Fat and the Furriest 3.5/5
    -Today I Am A Clown 5/5
    -Tis the Fifteenth Season 5/5
    -Marge Vs. Everyone 4/5
    -I, Doh-bot 5/5
    -Diatribe of A Mad Housewife 4.5/5
    -Margical History Tour 3.5/5
    -Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore 5/5
    -Smart and Smarter 4/5
    -The Ziff Who Came To Dinner 4/5
    -Co-Dependents Day 3/5 (Worst of season)
    -The Wandering Juvie 5/5
    -My Big Fat Geek Wedding 4/5
    -Catch 'Em If You Can 4/5
    -Simple Simpson 4/5
    -The Way We Weren't 5/5

Reasons for some of the rankings, off topic:
    -The Regina Monologues-I found all of the British jokes to be funny. The plot was thin, but it was funny enough to bring it up. It was what it was supposed to be, a fun episode.
    -I, D'oh-Bot-Originally 4/5, 4.5/5. I've seen it so many times, the only things that fell flat were a couple jokes and the last line on the subplot.
    -Marge Vs. Everyone-Rewatched it, there are some quality gags. The plot isn't as bad as I thought as I thought. Same with Diatribe of a Mad Housewife.

a malcolm and a archer

I'm going to end up recycling much of what Gorky and Homerpalooza said, but it just so happens that they together ended up saying much of what I was thinking. Overall, even with the problems, you still get a very good episode, one of the top 5 or so this season. The episode succeeded at what it wanted to. It told the story with great precision and was very interesting with delightful humor to back it up. My biggest fear was the fact that the flashback episodes had gotten stale and the perspective was no longer interesting. It was solved by telling two versions of the same story that were very much alike. However, the second time you hear each version of the story, you learn a little more about what was going on at the time. For example, Homer told the retainer story with Marge, but what is hidden until Marge tells her version is the fact that she thinks Homer is a bad name and Homer makes up a fake one. That comes back later in the episode when Marge tries to call Homer and Moe yells at her. Another instance is after Marge describes he kiss, you get a slightly different rendition from Homer. The misunderstandings were explained in each story and I must point out that fat camp was hilarious in every way.
    The episode was not flawless. The emotion was confusing to say the least. The childhood emotion was actually very good because young loves and firsh crushes are supposed to tug at the heart in a stupid sort of way, with sappiness coming out of stupid things. J. Stewart Burns and the writing staff did an excellent job with that. However, the present emotion should have been a different brand, as Marge and Homre in mature adult form are much different than the young Marge and Homer. The comment by Marge after learning this secret was pretty poor, as she could have put a little bit more into it. The quickly resolved conflict at the end of the episode has been too common lately, but not nearly as bad here as it was in Co-Dependents Day. Even still, truth be told, the present aspect of the emotion didn't quite do it for me.
    However, in some ways, this was even superior to other flashback episodes. The use of many minor characters was excellent, unparalleled in any flashback episode. The humor was right up there with the best of ther flashback episodes. I think one of the best lines of the episode was when Homer referenced Lisa's Wedding near the end of the episode.
    Overall, a good effort, and while emotion was not where it could have been, other aspects brought the episode up, and it gets a respectable B+ from me.

Thread Information