View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
327. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Simply amazing (har har har ... it gets worse)

131 40.06%
  • 4/5: Straightforward

118 36.09%
  • 3/5: Simply meh

43 13.15%
  • 2/5: Simple-minded

24 7.34%
  • 1/5: Simply awful

11 3.36%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Simple Simpson" (FABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Simple Simpson" (FABF15)

From SNPP
    Springfield. A town where villains run rampant while the police force sits around waiting for the next box of donuts to arrive.
    But wait - in the shadows - what's that?
    Is it law and order?
    Is it a low-flying blimp?
    Is it dessert? Yes - for criminals, it's their just desserts, served up fresh by
    PIE MAN
    Not particularly mild-mannered ("I'll show you who's not mild-mannered-") nuclear safety technician by day, deliverer of fresh-baked justice by night, fighting for what matters most - an extra scoop of ice cream to go with your pie, and the right of all 15-year TV veterans to make more money in less than an hour than I'll see in the next three years, and they don't have to pay $2.15 a gallon for "discount" gasoline like I do (apologies to those of you in places like Europe and Australia who pay about twice that - by the way, that's about €0.48/litre (note that gallons in the USA are about 4/5 the size of what they are in the UK)), and I can only imagine how it's going to be at the next All Grown Up! table read when Chuckie probably makes more than everybody else there put together, especially if Tommy or Angelica just came from having to read some radio ad for a car dealer up in Sacramento somewhere...
    Er...anyway, Homer decides to become a masked crimefighter, "Pie Man"
    Hmm .. an usually long description/rambling from SNPP.

You can check out the preview/speculate thread for more details.

A repeat of "I, D'oh-bot" will be shown at 8:30/7:30 c.

As usual, the thread and poll will open once the episode airs.

stop happening

Simply sucked. 0.5/5
    Season rankings (best to worst)

awesome episode, full of laughs and a great story

too bad we didn't get a "whippin cupcakes" line out of the cupcake kid, but still great

5/5

5/5 Terrific ! This episode progressively got better with each act. Was it me or did the animation look a bit old school ? The story could have been a bit better but I'm not going to complain. Another fine addition to this season. The ideas are here but the effort story wise on most new episodes needs to be kicked up a notch.
    Last edited by Datoupee; 05-02-2004 at 04:34 PM.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Junior Camper

eh. it was an alright episode. it was wacky, but that was obviously the point. it moved along pretty quickly, but it was still enjoyable. I think itll get better over time. An all around solid addition to this season. And is it just me, or has the Springfield Police been the funniest characters this season??

overall: 4/5
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

spleef

Animation was wonderful, the music great, Burns evil, and the pies were plentiful.

4/5

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

It started out great, then it got really, really stupid, then it was pretty good, and then it was really, really stupid again. 5/10, C+

Stonecutter

I'm surprised. That was damn good.

Some problems: The ending didn't really seem quite dramatic enough, really. There seemed to be something missing. Their were problems with the story, mainly sacrificing time that could have been used for conflict development (which is what kept the ending from being as good as it could have been) to use on mostly pointless spoofs. All of my complaints are token in their nature, though. I really liked it.

B+, maybe a B. The best in some time now.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

This was a great episode. Funny the whole way through, with some great parodies (Spiderman). Homer was hilarious, the supporting characters were used well, and the pacewas good as well. This was just a fun episode. That's about all I can say. No real complaints. A/A-

Junior Camper

1/5

I did like some of the Batman parodies that were thrown in but I didn't laugh not once. It seemed like the writers were so bent on the various superhero parodies that they completely forgot about the characters and how they're supposed to act. Mr. Burns and Smithers weren't funny at all.

The idea of the episode I liked; a superhero episode should have been a welcome addition. The entire flow of the episode seemed off from the start of the first act.

I'd consider this to be the worst show of the season.

I now demand Pieman action figures.
    4/5
    Wasn't clever, but it was a very fun episode.
    Wicked.

thought it was gonna suck. surprised me. story was pretty good. the spider-man parody was a cool touch.

4/5

yeah, also thought the animation looked pretty old school.

I thought that was pretty funny and cool. I really liked this one. 5/5

Pin Pal

Wow, this was exactly what the episode should've been: an intentionally lighthearted joke-fest with a simple but effective plot, and solid characterization all the way through. The execution and general style reminded me of the classic just-for-laughs episodes like Homer Bad Man.

I could devote a couple of paragraphs to characterization and story as usual, but I'll keep it brief this week, since it was hardly the episode's aim. Nonetheless, the characters were in fine form, especially Lisa and Homer, and felt pleasantly likeable and never annoying (unlike last week's episode, in my opinion). As for the story, I'm glad Pie Man didn't actually have any supernatural powers, and was instead just a guy sticking up for people when no one else would. The general idea is very similar to the one in Hungry, Hungry Homer, but the way it played out made it feel fresh enough to not matter.

The humor was spot-on tonight; nearly all of the many, many gags worked. I'm not great at remembering those, but I got a lot of laughs from the whole cast, including these parts:

-"Promiscuous Idiots' Island"
    -"It's not an island...it's a penninsula!" (and the "You can just walk" line after)
    -Everything in the bacon commercial, especially Ralph on the conveyor belt
    -Bart hiding the giant brussel sprout under the mashed potatoes
    -The patriotic country song
    -Lisa's plate setting (one of her more clever moments)
    -Homer's groan-inducing pie puns (they worked for me)
    -"Pie: delicious pastry, weird math thing..." (something like that, Kent's line)
    -Wiggum blowing up the pies, then turning on the siren and laughing, followed by Kent Brockman muttering, "Oh, THAT'S good footage..."
    -Everything Burns did at the nuclear plant ("You're late, bald and fat!"), especially him selling the workers' clothes
    -"I ran out of pie-related puns! *splat*"
    -"It's cobblering time!"
    -"Community service? I hate helping people!" (again, paraphrased)
    -Both Spider-Man parodies (the kiss, and the costume designing. Great animation on both too)
    -Homer and Bart cleaning out the leaves

Good laughs all around, if you ask me. Very good, silly episode, just what this season needs. 4/5 B+

You gotta love these "strictly-for-laughs" episodes. We start off with a fairly funny rip on FOX (and what I think was a jab at the contractual argument), and some good scenes at the County Fair. Homer judging pigs was actually funnier than I expected, and it's always good to see Homer standing up for his kids, even if it means doing something outlandish - plus, a funny Wiggum line ("I didn't know I could fit in a bubble"). Act II brought more laughs, with Homer and Bart's "upside-down frown" bit, CBG getting his comeuppance in front of Nichelle Nichols (who looked fairly different compared to her "Futurama" guise), and the "Spider-Man" parody, which may have been a little outdated but was still pretty well done. Plus, the photo of SLH as PieMan was the best visual gag I've seen in a long time. The scenes at the Power Plant were classic Burns and Smithers, putting Burns into that mean old bastard role he hasn't been in for a while. Act III was a little stranger, but still offered good laughs (Burns in the carriage, for instance). The appearance of the Dalai Lama was sort of out of the blue, but it still worked. Ultimately, the episode ended on an odd note (Bart's "Cupcake Kid" bit was kind of weird), but it didn't bring down the episode too much. Altogether, a episode with a lot of laughs, which was what it tried to provide and succeeded in doing. Better than I expected.

4/5

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Seems like this is one people either really like or really hate. Put me in the first group.

Not one but two great satirical bits in the first act (Promiscuous Idiots Island and the Toby Keith-esque jingoistic country singer: "If you don't buy my record, Al Qaeda wins."). The Pie Man story developed well, and it was given a nice, comic book-ish tone, with the villainy of Burns (and Smithers too; haven't seen him that evil since Simpson and Delilah) ramped up accordingly.

Even the two clear examples of recycling I found forgiveable, because IMO they improved on the originals. The "This island is really a penninsula!" (Lisa on Ice), was better because the joke was expanded upon ("I wish I could get on a boat and get out of here!" "You don't have to, you can walk."). And the third act was a variation on Homer vs. Dignity, but there was no panda rape or "Baby made a boom-boom," and for some reason, I enjoyed the line "Pie that brownie, fruitcake!"

A classic, no. A fun, funny half-hour, hell yes. And to me, sometimes that's more than good enough. 4.5/5

pretty rad

A very weird episode that luckily got saved by its humor. Lots of funny scenes, like Ralph on the conveyor belt, "I ran out of pie-related puns!" (quite possibly the funniest Homer line of the year), and a lot of the superhero parodies. Lost a couple points because Burns was acting ridiculous (whipping Lenny and Carl for no reason? meh). Still, for what it's worth it's not too bad. At worst, I'd say it's a hybrid of Homer the Vigilante and Homer vs. Dignity, but that's okay, this one still has its funny moments.

The Way We Weren't is next week. The hopes are unbelievably for that one. Can't wait.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

I should give it a 0 if only because COle didn't include the option "Simply Irresistable." What the fuck were you thinking man?!? I can't remember what the hell that's from, but it's from alright, I know that.

Anyway, after sitting around a dinner table hearing everyone complain about Friends going off the air, including one person (who has an amazing ability to be wrong all the time) claiming it was the only good thing left on TV, it was refreshing to come home and watch an awesome episode of The Simpsons. After last week's ep I had low expectations, but damn this was good.

Only problem was the cowboy guy (I'm sure he has a name, but I don't know it). Has he ever been funny? Who was the last successful new character anyway? Bah.

Everything else was funny. During Promscuous Idiots Island I was expecting the obvious "I'm not really a billionaire" joke but the "it's a peninsula" thing came out of nowhere.

A return to back-in-the-day form. Now let's hope they can carry off this momentum.

Oh yeah, 5/5. Yeah, see? I'm capable of giving Simpsons eps good ratings. It's happened before.

2nd best ep of the season, easily the funniest.

country sad ballad man

Originally posted by Wavy Gravy
    You gotta love these "strictly-for-laughs" episodes. We start off with a fairly funny rip on FOX (and what I think was a jab at the contractual argument), and some good scenes at the County Fair. Homer judging pigs was actually funnier than I expected, and it's always good to see Homer standing up for his kids, even if it means doing something outlandish - plus, a funny Wiggum line ("I didn't know I could fit in a bubble"). Act II brought more laughs, with Homer and Bart's "upside-down frown" bit, CBG getting his comeuppance in front of Nichelle Nichols (who looked fairly different compared to her "Futurama" guise), and the "Spider-Man" parody, which may have been a little outdated but was still pretty well done. Plus, the photo of SLH as PieMan was the best visual gag I've seen in a long time. The scenes at the Power Plant were classic Burns and Smithers, putting Burns into that mean old bastard role he hasn't been in for a while. Act III was a little stranger, but still offered good laughs (Burns in the carriage, for instance). The appearance of the Dalai Lama was sort of out of the blue, but it still worked. Ultimately, the episode ended on an odd note (Bart's "Cupcake Kid" bit was kind of weird), but it didn't bring down the episode too much. Altogether, a episode with a lot of laughs, which was what it tried to provide and succeeded in doing. Better than I expected.

4/5
    Conveniantly similar to my thoughts. Nice to see Burns, too. A-
    Last edited by Mason; 05-02-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Stonecutter

The execution and general style reminded me of the classic just-for-laughs episodes like Homer Bad Man
    Excuse my nitpicking, but...

Homer: Bad Man was in no way a just-for-laughs episode! It was a brilliant blend of humour, incredibly biting satire and human emotion! It succeeds in every single area where the Simpsons excel, not just in the laughs department!

I hereby sentance you to three days of nothing but bread and water, and during this time you must watch "Homer: Bad Man" at least twice. This time you'll have to appreciate on all of its levels, or I just may have to extend your sentance.

~Sincerely
    The Law Office of Charmy, Charmy and Hank

Oh, and on a slightly more on-topic note, I'm surprised Bart appeared on the promo card when he only played a very, very minor role in the episode and only appeared in costume for about 30 seconds. Hmm.

3/5
    Heckling a Puppet show.

I'm not feeling very inspired right now. Not in a great mood, so I'll write my review later, probably tonight still.
    Signature.

On hiatus for retooling

Simple Simpson was a really thinly plotted episode, sacrificing common sense and intelligent humor for some cheap jokes.

Going in roughly cronological order: I really liked the "Promiscuous Idiot Island" introduction, but was incredibly disappointed to see yet another repeated joke, "It's not an island, it's a peninsula!" That's almost an exact repeat from Lisa on Ice's "Monster Island" sequence. The entire sequence starting with the bacon commercial and through the fair was pretty well done, with Ralph's small cameo on the pig-killing line getting some laughs. My one complaint about the fair scene: the country-style patriotic song was kind of cliched and trite, with South Park doing that joke much better last year.

On to the Pie Man scenes: nobody recognizing Homer as Pie Man in his first appearance was absolutely ridiculous. Even Lisa didn't seem to figure it out. While necessary to progress the plot, ignorance like that is something that The Simpsons has never had to resort to on such a large scale. If it takes characters acting that dumb to make a plot work, it wasn't a very good idea for a plot in the first place. Homer's "attacks" as Pie Man expanded on this. The characters overexaggerated reactions to getting hit with a pie were really distracting, although Nichelle Nichols cameo was fairly well done. I actually loved the subtle jab at... well, us, I guess, when Homer pies Krusty for his "slight decline in quality over the years). As for Marge's kiss with Homer, I absolutely hated that scene. That was so out of character with Marge. Marge kissed who she believes to be another man and doesn't feel guilty at all? And also, how was Homer able to save and kiss Marge like that, but then had to dig a bullet out of his arm?

The last act, with Homer working for Burns, was around the same quality as the rest of the episode. First of all, how did Burns recognize Homer? I know, a minor complaint, but still... The Dalai Lama sequence was okay, and the town not believing Homer was Pie Man was a sufficient resolution. The last part, with Marge saying someone would have to be an idiot not to see it was Homer was terribly inconsistent with the rest of the episode. Clearly, Marge was unaware it was Homer earlier in the episode, but now they're trying to get out of that? Sorry, didn't convince me.

Overall, Simple Simpson had an extremely shallow plot and relied on terrible character inconsistencies that are better left to South Park's style of humor. (I'm not insulting South Park or anything, just saying that we expect this kind of thing from that show, i.e. the town not recognizing Michael Jackson in last week's episode). There were a few good jokes scattered throughout the episode, but really nothing to redeem the overall terrible plot concept.

My Grade: C-

EDIT: Ehh, maybe I was judging it too hard. I came into this episode with really low expectations, and probably watched it with a subconscious plan to find all the negative things. I mean, I certainly woudn't rate it over a B or anything because I don't think I'll ever really like this episode, but maybe I'll watch it again later tonight and see if I change my mind.
    Last edited by Bort328; 05-02-2004 at 05:13 PM.

pretty rad

Originally posted by Spooner
    Only problem was the cowboy guy (I'm sure he has a name, but I don't know it). Has he ever been funny? Who was the last successful new character anyway? Bah.
    You're right, he's never funny. Especially tonight; he was unusually mean for no reason to Lisa. But he's not really a new character; they've just increased his prominence-- and through that, annoyingness-- in recent years. And he doesn't really have a name; he's normally referred to as the Rich Texan... although I forget if he's the same guy as Antoine 'Tex' O'Hara from Dancin' Homer. Someone help me there.

Honestly, I thought the last successful new character was Gil, or if you want to count guest-star-voiced characters, Judge Harm. Harm's first episode was bad, but she had some good lines.

voted for Kodos

Very very good, alot of laughs and some great parody. Not "Classic" material, but certainly A material. A. 4.5/5

Originally posted by PsycheEnFuego
    You're right, he's never funny. Especially tonight; he was unusually mean for no reason to Lisa. But he's not really a new character; they've just increased his prominence-- and through that, annoyingness-- in recent years. And he doesn't really have a name; he's normally referred to as the Rich Texan... although I forget if he's the same guy as Antoine 'Tex' O'Hara from Dancin' Homer. Someone help me there.

Honestly, I thought the last successful new character was Gil, or if you want to count guest-star-voiced characters, Judge Harm. Harm's first episode was bad, but she had some good lines.
    Actually I havn't noticed much Colonel Tex this season at all. I think this was his first appearance longer than 5 seconds all year.

Some people don't even like Gil, though. I do, but for some reason it seems a lot of other people don't.

pretty rad

I think a lot of people dislike Gil because he was pretty much designated the heir apparent to Lionel Hutz after Hartman's passing when they made him the Simpson lawyer in a few episodes. I'm not going to say that's what everybody thinks, because I know some might have better opinions on why they don't like Gil. But I find him funny, and he's always had some great lines.

And yeah, I guess he hasn't been around as much this year, but he has been making more prominent appearances in the late Scully and early Jeansolo years, reaching his peak of idiocy in Dude, Where's My Ranch. And the fact that they make him shoot his guns in the air and go 'YEEEHAWWW!' in every episode now has totally flattened his character even further.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

He was Colonel Tex in "Bart Carny". I believe his first appearance was in "$pringfield", season 5, so he's in no way shape or form, new.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Another mediocre episode. There weren't really any problems with the plot, or its execution, or any really cringeworthy jokes, just a sore lack of any clever material whatsoever. An episode like this should have been jammed-pack with brilliant parodies, but we just got some overused Batman parodies and an outdated, unfunny imitation of the kissing scene in Spiderman. The humor mainly consisted of cheap easy hey-this-is-so-lame-it's-funny comics-themed jokes, such as Homer's pie-relatted puns and the ending scene on the roof. Often, the characters acted over-the-top to suit the plot such as Burns whipping Lenny and Carl, or Marge kissing Pie Man just to suit the Spiderman parody. There were scenes where I expected a punchline, such as the parody of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the golden ticket, and it never came. Even Futurama's Less Than Hero was way more clever, subversive, and observant as a comic-book parody.

Incidentally, I didn't like the joke about patriotic country music because, well, it's been done one other shows such as South Park. The funniest moments were probably the beginning with yet another reality TV show parody.

Grade: C
    Last edited by Mike Scully; 05-02-2004 at 05:48 PM.

Thread Information